HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey undershirts

Old
10-03-2009, 01:44 AM
DJnet65

vCash: 500
Hockey undershirts

I've recently been looking at different types of Under shirts for Hockey.

I was wondering what undershirts people have tried used and if they have a preference to certain type of undershirt.

Does anybody have a specific under shirt that they play with and would recommend?

Or all hockey undershirts basically the same?

thanks for your replies

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:22 AM
AIREAYE

Well obviously, Underarmour would be the obvious choice, but if you don't have the cash to spend on it, then what I would recommend is going to a local Sears/Winners store (If you are in Canada) and browsing around. I found 3 such shirts and they all keep me relatively dry.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Semper Sens

Same here, I just went to winners and found a shirt that looked "under armour"-ish. It's a ton cheaper than actually buying the real stuff. I've never tried under armour though so I can't compare them performance wise. The one I have (adidas) feels fine though.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
K-PAX*

I have a Reebok UA knock-off and it does the job pretty well.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:04 PM
EmptyNetter

All I can say is that I switched from a short sleeve to a long sleeve undershirt when I noticed I had a rash on my elbow that wouldn't go away. Having that extra barrier (nylon) between skin and equipment made all the difference in the world. I also wear a pair of nylon pants/leggings for the same reason. There are undershirts that have the neckguard attached, like a modified turtleneck but thought it was too expensive at the time so I passed on it.

I haven't tried Under Armor brand but every one I've tried (Russell, Nike, Reebok) really starts to stink after awhile even though I wash mine after every game. Supposedly the UA brand features anti-microbial fibers that kill the odor causing bacteria but that sounded too much like an empty sales pitch. Could be true but again the price difference was too high so I passed.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
K-PAX*

Yeah the shirts start to get rank after a while, so generally I buy a new one every fall.

The turtleneck is probably not a difference maker, additionally you'll have to endure being called Alexei Yashin.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:47 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
All I can say is that I switched from a short sleeve to a long sleeve undershirt when I noticed I had a rash on my elbow that wouldn't go away. Having that extra barrier (nylon) between skin and equipment made all the difference in the world. I also wear a pair of nylon pants/leggings for the same reason. There are undershirts that have the neckguard attached, like a modified turtleneck but thought it was too expensive at the time so I passed on it.

I haven't tried Under Armor brand but every one I've tried (Russell, Nike, Reebok) really starts to stink after awhile even though I wash mine after every game. Supposedly the UA brand features anti-microbial fibers that kill the odor causing bacteria but that sounded too much like an empty sales pitch. Could be true but again the price difference was too high so I passed.

So did i a few years back, didnt have a rash, i just found it more comfortable.

I have a few shirts, UA, TPS, KOHO, imo they are all the same. All depends on the brand you want and the price you are willing to pay.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Underarmour is mostly marketing. Their stuff works, but the price is all hype. $10 can get you a shirt that works just as well.

I use a reebok short sleeve wicking compression shirt. Works great. Cost less then half of a comparable UA one.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:35 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

first one i had was an Itech one, it was form fitted, so it was sorta like a long sleeve shirt

last year i bought a Graf, and it's form fitted. i love it

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:10 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

My UA shirts start to smell after awhile too, no different than the rest.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:25 PM
GuitarAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Underarmour is mostly marketing. Their stuff works, but the price is all hype. $10 can get you a shirt that works just as well.
Have you ever tried the Under Armour ones, are you just talking out of your ass? I have a few of the RBK ones, as it was hard to find Under Armour around where I live, so I used RBK ones. They work pretty well, then I got a long sleeve Under Armour, which works FAR better. It keeps me far warmer, drier, and I love the tighter compression fit. UA is TOTALLY worth the extra money if you have it, it has far better performance.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:14 PM
hkyplayer03

anyone ever try the shirts with padding in them? just wondering how they perform and feel.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:29 PM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Have you ever tried the Under Armour ones, are you just talking out of your ass? I have a few of the RBK ones, as it was hard to find Under Armour around where I live, so I used RBK ones. They work pretty well, then I got a long sleeve Under Armour, which works FAR better. It keeps me far warmer, drier, and I love the tighter compression fit. UA is TOTALLY worth the extra money if you have it, it has far better performance.
I switch between three brands. Two of which are Target, and Walmart brand shirts with UA rounding out the selection. I can not tell a difference between them. And the store brands cost 1/3rd of the UA shirts.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Nobody wears "The Shirt" anymore?

Anyway, I wear compression Dri-Fit (or whatever Reebok's equivalent is) shirts under my jersey.

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Dutch

I've tired Reebok, Adidas and UA, and nothing comes close to Under Armour. Far better compression, and keeps me dry much more. Especially with the RBK models that have a vented fabric in the back, not much compression from that.

I've had a heatgear UA model for 3 years now and it's still going great. Doesn't smell bad, lost a bit of tightness but it's still better that the RBK that I've barely used. And as for my Coldgear model, it's been keeping warm on my skis better than anything else.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

Nike shirt I got from Winners.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...-T/1201166-400

I love it personally.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Dutch

However, if you're going for a loose fit, don't pay for Under Armour, not worth it. But when it comes to compression, nothing beats them.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D View Post
I have a Reebok UA knock-off and it does the job pretty well.
same here got some from the outlet store on black friday last year for like 10bux

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
jbennardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
However, if you're going for a loose fit, don't pay for Under Armour, not worth it. But when it comes to compression, nothing beats them.
I'd have to agree. I went to a UA compression shirt under my jersey and love it. I still have plenty of dri-fit type shirts for working out and other activities.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:49 AM
no.95

I'll go for the t-shirt. It's to be found in most closets across the world, usually extremely cheap as well.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 08:58 AM
jbennardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
I'll go for the t-shirt. It's to be found in most closets across the world, usually extremely cheap as well.
What fun is that?

I know what you mean though. All these technologies and fabrics... we used to just grab a shirt out of the drawer and roll.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:07 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
Whatever works.
The plusses for cotton: Won't stink and you can't beat the price.

Negatives: Absorbs all your sweat and makes you feel 10lbs heavier.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
pfloyd75

I switch between Target brand and nike shirts. Honestly, I think the Target ones work a little better- they seem to have a tighter weave. I haven't used a UA shirt as I don't want a compression shirt and I can't see myself spending $30 for a shirt that is not likely to be 3x better than the ones I already have that I payed less than $10 for.

When playing goalie, I don't wear an undershirt at all. I don't like the feel of it under my C/A and it makes it hotter than I care for.

On occasion I have forgotten to pack my undershirt when skating out and have gone without wearing a shirt then too. Cotton just gets too heavy and clammy feeling.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
WithOutPaperss

Just don't wear a shirt under.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote