HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Call.

View Poll Results: Who starts?
Toskala. 11 10.28%
Gustavsson. 96 89.72%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 500
I start Toskala, give him this one last chance but with a very, very short leash. If he screws it up, call up MacDonald before the game is even over.

Toskala needs to work out whatever issues he's having but he can't do it while playing real games for us.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Toskala if you're a sens fan, Gusty if you're a leafs fan.

But seriously, I would of voted Toskala but sens are a weak team this is Gustys chance.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
monnn

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Mr_Fun
phil kesel fan

I say go for the Gus-t.o.

I'm not knocking Toskala so much, but he's done nothing to really earn the starters position, so I say give the monster a couple of games and see what he's all about.

Mr_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Mike1

As much as he has played badly it's got to be Toskala. You can't give up on the guy after two games.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Christ

Gustavsson...Toskala has been nothing short of brutal since the pre season. We should be playing the goaltender who is playing best and Toskala does not fit that description by any standard.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
OldTimeHockey

Gustavsson should get the start but for different reasons then most think.

I think just to shake up the team should be the #1 reason for the change. Toskala hasn't caused the 2 losses(but he hasn't helped). The team seemed to play better with the rook in there so why not go with it.

OldTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
sgupca

I don't think Wilson will start Toskala, if he does he may be the worst coach in the NHL.

Does Toskala deserve another chance? Yup, just not for a few games...we brought the Monster in for a reason, lets roll with him for a few; i mean he can't do any worse

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Augustus

This might be a good time to start The Monster in his first regular-season game.

It would be very much in our interest if he could take over as number one as soon as possible. Tosky could be a very good backup.

But most of us, I don't want to rush Gusto but "rush" is a relative term and dependent upon his actual performance and comfort level. It he shows he is ready, then led him to start several in a row.

It he isn't ready, then we're up the Creek without a goalie.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I don't think Wilson will start Toskala, if he does he may be the worst coach in the NHL.

Does Toskala deserve another chance? Yup, just not for a few games...we brought the Monster in for a reason, lets roll with him for a few; i mean he can't do any worse
That's what I'm thinking. Give Goose a chance, see what he's got. If the results are favourable, try again. Hey, you might win a game or two out of it. Then let Toskala try again and see how he responds.

I'd have no problem having a tandem on the go. It worked for Toskala a couple years ago, maybe it would help him do it now. Maybe he doesn't quite feel threatened yet.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
I say give the Monster a shot. Besides he needs to get a full game in at some point. Has gotten 20 minutes here, 40 minutes there, time to get him in a full game and see how he does.

FlareKnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Mr Scarface*

At first I was thinking Gustav.... but right now, I know Vesa Toskala, my main mane, will not play 3 awful games in a roll. So I'm kinda sure all of y'all might wanna see something spectacular vs those Senators... Toskala would play his best game so far, if he gets the start. Ronny Wilson, the big ninja, will make the right choise. He is that Samurai Hunter, with his big finga nails.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
At first I was thinking Gustav.... but right now, I know Vesa Toskala, my main mane, will not play 3 awful games in a roll. So I'm kinda sure all of y'all might wanna see something spectacular vs those Senators... Toskala would play his best game so far, if he gets the start. Ronny Wilson, the big ninja, will make the right choise. He is that Samurai Hunter, with his big finga nails.
We shall see Mr Scarface. We shall see. I don't see why anyone would be upset if Toskala played well. Really, we're pulling for it. We're just having a hard time believing in him, and I'm sure you understand.

I liked him alot the first year he was here, he was pretty lights out for the last half of the season. Injuries or excuses aside, we're looking for some improvement. Cause he hasn't looked well for over a year, and that's concerning us all.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Zardoz

May as well let Toskala sit out. He can regain himself once the D has settled down and figured out the system, and once the forwards start watching for pinches... Toskala is a capable goalie, I don't think we should send him merrily on his way just yet.

get the Monster going, let the team figure itself out, and then ease a rested Toskala back in. They can split the season for starts in all.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:26 PM
tlr2222

will it make a differance with the d we have

tlr2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
I say Gustavsson. He was clearly the better goalie against the Caps. He should be rewarded for his play. Plus, the team probably has more confidence in him then they do in Toskala.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
SprDaVE

The leash was short for Toskala to start the year. Everyone gave him the benefit of the doubt last year because of his injuries and playing on a very young team.

The leash has to be pulled all the way back. That's 2 soft goals he lets in in 2 games, with some saves where he should have swallowed the rebound but chose to flop in the net. He's getting worst every passing game in my opinion... I have no clue how Wilson can still be able to have any sort of confidence in him.

Basically, even though Toskala can't be fully blamed for the last 2 games, he's still not consistent enough... and it's been like that for the last 3 years now. He could look great in a sequence, next shift he lets in a shot that should be stopped by a 4M dollar goaltender.

Gustavsson has to be played the next 2 games at the very least. What is there to lose? Toskala can't steal a game or make timely saves when asked... What's wrong going with a goaltender that could perhaps put him a consistent effort?

I have defended Toskala a lot the last couple years. I always thought he was hung to dry quite a bit... but that Ovechkin goal last night really stung me hard for some reason. He didn't battle at all and simply wasn't strong enough mentally. He didn't have any push the last 2 years from the backups, perhaps actually sitting him for more than a game could be beneficial for him.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Adversary

Overwhelmingly in favor of Jonas.

I hope Wilson reads HFboards.

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:22 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Way too early to switch. Wow 90% for the gus... Toskala played 4 periods so far and in the 2 periods Gus played he didn't fair any better. I don't know why people are over reacting.

I'm going Toskala, and it should be Toskala, infact i'll be disappointed if it's anyone else.

LeeIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:13 AM
JustinV

Can't vote in the poll yet, but I would love to see Gustavsson get the start.

Any time the puck is in control of the other team in the Leaf's end, there's always a feeling of dread and anxiety when Toskala is in net. If that's how I feel as a spectator, I can only assume the defense in front of him also doesn't have full confidence in his ability to stop pucks.

It's plainly obvious that the defense needs to be a whole lot better than they have been in the first two games, and maybe that starts with who's behind them. If they have confidence in the goalie then perhaps they'll have more confidence in themselves to keep their game simple instead of trying to do too much.

Maybe Vesa's early troubles truly are a by-product of faulty defense only, but it's already much too reminiscent of previous years for me to be comfortable with standing pat and not being proactive by putting Jonas in.

JustinV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Vice

It should be Gustavsson, I have a bad feeling it will be Toskala though.

Vice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:16 AM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
I know it's not the popular choice, but I think Toskala has to start this game.

If there is any chance of salvaging any confidence this guy has, you start him vs Ottawa and he is brilliant.

Now, if he starts and is bad.. I think he then loses the #1 spot to Monster.
ya I agree. I too want the Gustavsson era to begin but this is a game you have to give to Toskala. Then, all bets are off.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:19 AM
Mogwai

I pick Gustavsson because the NHL is about winning hockey games. We're looking to make the playoffs this year and the argument has nothing to do with Toskala v Gustavsson, it has to do with how the team played in front. If the team is more likely to rally behind the monster, AND RW and BB ACTUALLY want to win games, then the monster is the man who should be in net.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote