HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Boom Jackets: Like or dislike?

View Poll Results: The Boom Jackets: Like or dislike?
Like 41 53.95%
Dislike 35 46.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2009, 11:28 AM
  #26
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
But they don't. A military-style march actually would fit the theme, though, and that would be cool. The Boom Jackets sound like some silly Blue Man Group kind of thing, not Civil War drumming.

Kudos on the Tom Waits quote, by the way.
Ironically, I'm listening to a BMG album right now...

I didn't get to see them at all (stuck at home), but the idea sounds like it would be a neat one; it just apparently falls down on execution. Let 'em refine it a bit, I think.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
  #27
mokkan88
Registered User
 
mokkan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocbj View Post
The drum guys might have a place, but they can't be a wall of noise. Last night, they were mostly that. Play a couple of 20 second "clap your hands" rhythms, but don't try and play a 3 minute song.

A good rule in life applies to a hockey game too. Don't over-play the organ!

I don't need songs from Bob Dawson. I'll take Metallica, thank you.

"Woman" seems to be gone, but whatever the hell is the tick tick tick tick boom song - I hate it.

In summary, let the drum guys play a little think whenever Bob D reaches for the organ!
This.

mokkan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
  #28
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney17 View Post
Disliked, very strongly. Let the hockey sell hockey, not some amateur hour crap.
Please. This team, among others, would have sunk years ago if it were up to the 'hockey selling the hockey'.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
  #29
stifrontman
Registered User
 
stifrontman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere on Campus
Country: United States
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stifrontman
I like the idea, they definitely need some refinement.

Whoever said they need to play some actual civil war marches is right, though. Drum marches would be much more dramatic, and at the same time fit in with the theme of the team more.

stifrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:57 PM
  #30
shoplifter110
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
I can chime in on this with what little I know - admittedly this is all second and third hand info, so take it with a grain of salt. I wasn't involved in any discussion with anyone from the club.

One of my friends was contacted two seasons ago about having some drummers show up on game nights to perform. We, all having been in a college drumline were all for it. One of the sticking points that I know we had was that the club would need to provide the equipment (marching drums aren't cheap, and most individuals don't own them). We figured that way if the club didn't like us, they could continue using the drums, just with different bodies wearing them.

We were actually pretty excited about it, and were even coming up with ideas for stuff we could do - we saw it working in the form of military marches and such, rather than corps style drumming.

What I ended up gathering was that the club wasn't willing at the time to front the money for the drums, so it went nowhere (at least with us). It wouldn't surprise me if a similar thing happened with a few other groups. My friend said he got the sense from the game ops person(s) he spoke with that they really had no idea what they wanted, they just thought it would be cool to have drummers.

Fast forward a few years later, and someone has obviously been in touch with some folks from the Bluecoats in Canton, which more than likely solved the problem of not buying the equipment. They definitely got some very high quality players - these guys (and the rest of their line) finished 4th *IN THE WORLD* at DCI Finals in August. But I suspect that the office again didn't really know what they wanted, so the Bluecoats guys are just trying to do stuff that they know.

Anyway, I'm sure that this can work - it just needs to be tweaked some to fit with the concept of the club.

shoplifter110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 11:51 PM
  #31
bluejacketsbabe161
 
bluejacketsbabe161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bluejacketsbabe161 Send a message via Yahoo to bluejacketsbabe161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I can say that the music that was playing during the game last night was much better then the stuff we are use to. Also, did you see the number of replays? They even had reverse angles of the goals! Game ops for this game at least seemed to take a step in the right direction.
I would agree that the music selections are much better! However, I'm not sure if it was just us, but the volume was not loud enough! They needed to turn it up a little bit.

As for the boom jackets, I do think that it is a little out of place, but I like it. I'm a fan of drum lines though. But it could kill the atmosphere a little, too. Maybe have them go during intermissions and before the games instead of commercial breaks?

bluejacketsbabe161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:27 AM
  #32
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacketsbabe161 View Post
I would agree that the music selections are much better! However, I'm not sure if it was just us, but the volume was not loud enough! They needed to turn it up a little bit.

As for the boom jackets, I do think that it is a little out of place, but I like it. I'm a fan of drum lines though. But it could kill the atmosphere a little, too. Maybe have them go during intermissions and before the games instead of commercial breaks?
Then they need to aim the speakers lower or something. Im in the upper bowl,and a couple of the pre season games, the speakers were literally blowing us out of the seats! It was actually painful to the ears at times

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
  #33
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Then they need to aim the speakers lower or something. Im in the upper bowl,and a couple of the pre season games, the speakers were literally blowing us out of the seats! It was actually painful to the ears at times
I find that with the PA system for sure. The dude at intermission is out of control loud, but the music lower. I can't stand the volume of the mic at intermission.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:48 AM
  #34
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoplifter110 View Post
I can chime in on this with what little I know - admittedly this is all second and third hand info, so take it with a grain of salt. I wasn't involved in any discussion with anyone from the club.

One of my friends was contacted two seasons ago about having some drummers show up on game nights to perform. We, all having been in a college drumline were all for it. One of the sticking points that I know we had was that the club would need to provide the equipment (marching drums aren't cheap, and most individuals don't own them). We figured that way if the club didn't like us, they could continue using the drums, just with different bodies wearing them.

We were actually pretty excited about it, and were even coming up with ideas for stuff we could do - we saw it working in the form of military marches and such, rather than corps style drumming.

What I ended up gathering was that the club wasn't willing at the time to front the money for the drums, so it went nowhere (at least with us). It wouldn't surprise me if a similar thing happened with a few other groups. My friend said he got the sense from the game ops person(s) he spoke with that they really had no idea what they wanted, they just thought it would be cool to have drummers.

Fast forward a few years later, and someone has obviously been in touch with some folks from the Bluecoats in Canton, which more than likely solved the problem of not buying the equipment. They definitely got some very high quality players - these guys (and the rest of their line) finished 4th *IN THE WORLD* at DCI Finals in August. But I suspect that the office again didn't really know what they wanted, so the Bluecoats guys are just trying to do stuff that they know.

Anyway, I'm sure that this can work - it just needs to be tweaked some to fit with the concept of the club.
This is a good, touches-all-bases post.

Especially the "game ops doesn't really know what they want" part(s). Fan reaction would seem to suggest they don't either - or at least the varied responses would help explain why it's been a challenge to game opes to decide exactly the purpose. I suggest they keep it up and see if they can make it work.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:59 AM
  #35
plong123
Litebrite Stinger
 
plong123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Stretchrunston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I suggest they keep it up and see if they can make it work.
Seconded. It added a fun element. I think it touched base with a lot of us, because this is Ohio, and we've all been to a ton of high school and college football games. There's nothing wrong with playing to your crowd's experiences! Those drums fired me up!

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
  #36
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
My first thought when they started was that this could be a really, really good thing if they develop a few riffs that would be back-and- forth with the crowd.

I know that anything OSU is anathema for some here, but what I had in mind was a combination of: 1) the drums that walk around Ohio Stadium and play in the crowds during the 3rd & 4th quarters and 2) the chants that go on at the Crew games.

So it would be a 10 second riff; pause "GO JACKETS"; rinse, repeat as needed, etc. I'm not enough of a musician to flesh this out, but if it is good, the crowd will fill in their part.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  #37
CoachWithNoTeam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
I didn't mind it too much. I think if it were every game it would get old really fast. It was okay for opening night though.

Thanks to who ever decided to come up with the name for our team. Now we have to constantly be reminded of the civil war and introduced to new bogus idea like a drum line. I truly believe we are the most anonymous sports team ever. Our first jersey's were a joke. I am wearing mine on halloween this year

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:50 PM
  #38
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
So it would be a 10 second riff; pause "GO JACKETS"; rinse, repeat as needed, etc. I'm not enough of a musician to flesh this out, but if it is good, the crowd will fill in their part.
Great idea. Honestly, you should email the powers that be.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
  #39
5StringBuzz
Registered User
 
5StringBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 500
I thought they'd done the drummers once before, but can't remember when -- maybe 2-3 years ago?

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
  #40
forktie
Registered User
 
forktie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: the 'Bus
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
I didn't like it at all. If they want to do a drum thing, make them older dudes in some kind of civil war ear uniforms and parade them around from section to section.

The music selection was great. So many just good rock songs.
No country, no Cottoneyed Joe.

Didn't love the Hives intro, but whatever at this point.

I was in the upper bowl, and the PA was hard to hear.

Lot of empty seats from my vantage point.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
  #41
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 2000
The drums were better than kiss cam.

It is a good concept, with tweaking it will work.

The song the players come out to is fine by me, they picked the tune last season and we made the playoffs.

All I want is the Jackets to win, so whatever song the players pick to get up for the game is fine by me. Just win.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
  #42
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
No Fife?
Fife and drum gets my vote.

Highschool drum corp does not. Is that what it sounded like?
Is so, would I were there, I would vote "nay."

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:26 PM
  #43
skimp
Registered User
 
skimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Highschool drum corp does not. Is that what it sounded like?
Is so, would I were there, I would vote "nay."
That's exactly what it sounded like. It was dreadful.

Don't listen to the supporters, JF. They are all forgetting one key point: I am correct, and they are not.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
  #44
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
That's exactly what it sounded like. It was dreadful.

Don't listen to the supporters, JF. They are all forgetting one key point: I am correct, and they are not.
I will only listen to you if you are Pro-Fife, or Right to Fife, either one.
Anti-Fife sucks.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
  #45
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
That's exactly what it sounded like. It was dreadful.

Don't listen to the supporters, JF. They are all forgetting one key point: I am correct, and they are not.
Except when you're not correct, which is most of the time.


Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:43 PM
  #46
Fuzzy D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 211
vCash: 500
Hey guys. I happen to know a couple of the guys in the group. With some more time and planning they can make it really work. Trust me when I say that they have the talent and knowledge to be successful at this. One of the tenor drummers (the guy that was playing the solos) is one of, if not the best in the world and a multiple DCI champion.. See him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsHVVxSJEk or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDxU...eature=related

I know the snare drummer that was playing many of the solos is also a big hockey fan. I agree that with some more Civil War leaning and crowd involved beats, it can be pretty cool. Problem is, I don't know where they'd get Civil War replica drums. They were primarily playing some pretty drum corps-esque cadences that I think should probably be "dumbed" down a bit to fit the atmosphere and be something that the crowd can catch onto more. Also agree with them moving around the arena more like Stinger and his drum.

They also didn't sound clear enough upstairs. It was very muddled with little bass. I think that's mainly a Nationwide problem. We need more speakers around the top of the wall. The music sounds like it's all coming from the scoreboard and doesn't really "fill" the space enough. Just my opinion anyway.

A couple seasons ago (the night they gave away jerseys with the hat logo) they had a Civil War replica drumline there playing near the Budlight Terrace. It was pretty cool. I'm not sure where they came from or where they went but it was a good idea.


Last edited by Fuzzy D: 10-05-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Fuzzy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:32 PM
  #47
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy D View Post
Hey guys. I happen to know a couple of the guys in the group. With some more time and planning they can make it really work. Trust me when I say that they have the talent and knowledge to be successful at this. One of the tenor drummers (the guy that was playing the solos) is one of, if not the best in the world and a multiple DCI champion.. See him here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsHVVxSJEk or here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDxU...eature=related

I know the snare drummer that was playing many of the solos is also a big hockey fan. I agree that with some more Civil War leaning and crowd involved beats, it can be pretty cool. Problem is, I don't know where they'd get Civil War replica drums. They were primarily playing some pretty drum corps-esque cadences that I think should probably be "dumbed" down a bit to fit the atmosphere and be something that the crowd can catch onto more. Also agree with them moving around the arena more like Stinger and his drum.

They also didn't sound clear enough upstairs. It was very muddled with little bass. I think that's mainly a Nationwide problem. We need more speakers around the top of the wall. The music sounds like it's all coming from the scoreboard and doesn't really "fill" the space enough. Just my opinion anyway.

A couple seasons ago (the night they gave away jerseys with the hat logo) they had a Civil War replica drumline there playing near the Budlight Terrace. It was pretty cool. I'm not sure where they came from or where they went but it was a good idea.
Who else is involved in this group? Saturday was the first home opener I've ever missed.

I've been around the block a time or 2 with rudimental drumming. I teach a local high school group and have been involved with WGI and DCI through out my years so this sound like an interesting concept to check out.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
  #48
skimp
Registered User
 
skimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I will only listen to you if you are Pro-Fife, or Right to Fife, either one.
Anti-Fife sucks.
I think a fife would fit the civil war theme while simultaneously annoying most people. I'm down with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Except when you're not correct, which is most of the time.

Half of the skimps can be part right all of the time, and some of the skimps can be all right part of the time, but all of the skimps can't be all right all of the time. So there. Good day, madame.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:54 PM
  #49
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
I think a fife would fit the civil war theme while simultaneously annoying most people. I'm down with that.
Wasn't it tried before at one point, a year or two back? I seem to recall hearing about a fife-and-drum corps at the Nat once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Half of the skimps can be part right all of the time, and some of the skimps can be all right part of the time, but all of the skimps can't be all right all of the time. So there. Good day, madame.
...ohh-kay. That sounds great.
...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
  #50
skimp
Registered User
 
skimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Wasn't it tried before at one point, a year or two back? I seem to recall hearing about a fife-and-drum corps at the Nat once...

...ohh-kay. That sounds great.
...
Yes. There was a fife and drum corps for (I think) opening night two years ago. I have a picture of them performing in front of the arena. It was really cool.


And to you.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.