HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Yannick Weber has been called up

Old
10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
youngster

vCash: 500
Quote:
My prediction: He will be the answer to the PP.
The bottom line is, if the first two games are any indication, we are hard pressed for offensive pressure during even strength play. This means our PP and PK more than ever have to shine for success. Weber will definitely be an asset on the PP.

Quote:
New D-pairings should be.

Hamrlik Weber
Spacek Mara
Gill Gorges
I can't say I agree with this. To put a rookie with a whopping 6 games under his NHL belt into a situation where he may play 23+ hard minutes a night is neither fair to him nor to the others who are ahead of him on the depth chart. Dropping Gorges to the 3rd pairing is a real slap in the face. Also, Mara has 673 games experience in his career and shouldn't be knocked down either. Problem is we have 5 lefties and Weber, so an adjustment needs to be made somewhere. Weber should have limited minutes to start and PP duties on the second unit. Sticking him with Gil may not be the best way to introduce him either, but at least you could limit his minutes a bit better. Switch up Gorges and Weber.

youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
odishabs

Hamrlik - Weber
Gorges - Mara
Gill - Spacek

Belle

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:17 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
I would try:
Spacek-Gorges
Hamrlik-Mara
Gill-Weber

Gill is pretty good in his own zone and can hopefully cover for Weber's errors, while Weber can make up for Gill's lack of foot speed and general lack of offensive creativity (although I'm glad to say his shots actually make it somewhere near the net, as opposed to Komo's)

and on the PP:
1: Spacek-Weber
2: Hamrlik-Gorges
with a Mara appearance here and there

That Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:29 AM
youngster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH Sont La View Post
and on the PP:

The nice thing is these names mentioned could all be interchangeable which is good because you never know who is available for any given PP.

Old
10-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Marksman

Why are some people putting Gorges or Spacek into 3rd pairing?

I'm fine with going 6 dmen ... in another d gets hurt just convert Laraque into stay at home defender, and double shift Hamrlik and/or Spacek for a game.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH Sont La View Post
I would try:
Spacek-Gorges
Hamrlik-Mara
Gill-Weber

Gill is pretty good in his own zone and can hopefully cover for Weber's errors, while Weber can make up for Gill's lack of foot speed and general lack of offensive creativity (although I'm glad to say his shots actually make it somewhere near the net, as opposed to Komo's)

and on the PP:
This plan feels like the most reasonable to me. It takes care of 2 problems I feel we haven't addressed yet; PP and Mara/Gill.

Weber will spice up the PP. As a previous poster said; teams know he has a shot so they could over compensate on him and open up down low for Cam, Gio and Gomez.

Also putting Weber with Gill takes care of the Mara/Gill pairing. Those 2 guys just don't complement each other, they each need a smater/more mobile defensemen to compelement their games.

Odelein24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
This plan feels like the most reasonable to me. It takes care of 2 problems I feel we haven't addressed yet; PP and Mara/Gill.

Weber will spice up the PP. As a previous poster said; teams know he has a shot so they could over compensate on him and open up down low for Cam, Gio and Gomez.

Also putting Weber with Gill takes care of the Mara/Gill pairing. Those 2 guys just don't complement each other, they each need a smater/more mobile defensemen to compelement their games.
Agreed on all counts. This is the line-up and PP teams I would like to see tomorrow night.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:07 AM
youngster

Hmmm...

Hickey's column states that Weber will be paired with Gorges against Calgary tomorrow night.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...914/story.html

Old
10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngster View Post
Hmmm...

Hickey's column states that Weber will be paired with Gorges against Calgary tomorrow night.

I'm starting to question Hickey's credibility...

Last summer, in one of his columns, after the draft, he told us not to expect anything from Gainey on the UFA market.

Now, he says Gill struggled in the last two games. In fact, his mistake leading to the first Leafs goal last Thursday put aside, he played very well for a third pairing d-man.

He also uses hyperboles like "the ugliest 2-0 start in NHL's history"...

Anyway...

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
NYVanfan

when is markov going on IR?
arggg ...cant replace him on my team until he's there...
should I pick up Weber, Mara or Georges? (we count shots & blocked shots, but not PIMs)

Cheers, and thanks for any insights

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Same difference, huh?
Cut me some slack, I typed that at 4am.

Quote:
Hmmm...

I was hoping he would be paired off with Hamrlik, but Gorges is a good choice.

10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Cut me some slack, I typed that at 4am.

I was hoping he would be paired off with Hamrlik, but Gorges is a good choice.
I guess it's to minimize the time he's counted on defensively while keeping him fresh for the PP. How has calgary been on the pk, i assume they're pretty good since a d-core that good should be illegal.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN View Post
Not saying that he was better than Carle, I just think Carle looks alot like Weber and Benoit is alot more defensive. That guy never had a shot, it does not cost a thing to try him out.

I'd also would like Benoit to be 7th defenseman and not play, than having PK or Carle not playing.
But if Weber is terrible in is first game, wouldn't you prefer to have Carle to replace him. The Habs need guys that are confortable on the right side.

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
25th

Quote:
Hmmm...

Whatever! F.Gagnon just wrote that Pern was rotating all D-men. http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon...comment-168758

I would like to see

Spacek-Gorges (Spacek is more comfortable on the left)
Hamrlik-Weber (Hammer is the perfect babysitter)
Gill-Mara (No none sense)

Carle as a back up in case Weber looks terrible against the Flames. Habs need guys confortable on the right side for now.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25th View Post
I would like to see

Hate to see Gill play with Mara, I have a feeling that things can get really ugly when they play against faster & more talented forwards.

With two regulars out, I would like to see more balanced pairings, perhaps along the lines of

Spacek - Mara
Hamrlik - Weber
Gill - Gorges

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post
Hate to see Gill play with Mara, I have a feeling that things can get really ugly when they play against faster & more talented forwards.

With two regulars out, I would like to see more balanced pairings, perhaps along the lines of

Spacek - Mara
Hamrlik - Weber
Gill - Gorges
I know it'S from hockey30 but here's his reported line up (Chip IN, Metro OUT)
Formation

Mike Cammalleri - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn

Guillaume Latendresse - Maxim Lapierre - Travis Moen

Gregory Stewart - Kyle Chipchura - Georges Laraque

Les défenseurs :

Yannick Weber - Paul Mara

Jaroslav Spacek - Roman Hamrlik

Hal Gill - Josh Gorges

I really like the D pairing, I think it'S the best that we can do without Markov & O'B; Mara - Weber: Mara improving his play every game with being physical should be good with Weber
Spacek - Hamrlik: Probably a pairing that could be together for 2010 olympic Check team
Gill - Gorges: Our best remaining asset with our worst, Gorges spedd should compensate for Gill lack off

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
youngster

Quote:
Whatever! F.Gagnon just wrote that Pern was rotating all D-men. http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon...comment-168758

I would like to see

Carle as a back up in case Weber looks terrible against the Flames. Habs need guys confortable on the right side for now.

My French is extemely limited and the google translation is poor, but if what I understand the above statement to be true I don't like it. Moving around d-man combinations is a disaster waiting to happen. They have to be comfortable enough with their partner to know exactly where each other are in d zone coverage. Moving people all over the place is going to make that extremely difficult and will ultimately lead to more defensive breakdowns.

Hamrlik may be a good babysitter / mentor, but we don't have the depth right now to see it through. In the past if an inexperienced d-man was having trouble we could insert a more experienced 7th man in his place. We are only carrying 6 and if we add a 7th they are almost as inexperienced. I don't see the harm in limiting Weber's even strength time with Gill right now. If he does well give him more minutes next game. If he doesn't then build his confidence with a limited role. If I am Calgary I'm putting my top line out against Weber every chance I get. Hamrlik won't be able to cover him all night.

I think we have to utilize as much experience as we can right now and use the players who have been best in the 1st two games the most.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
vokiel
Registered Settler

The pairs at practice this morning: (According to http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/283683.html)

Hammer - Spacek
Gill - Gorges
Mara - Weber

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
25th

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1 View Post

Spacek - Mara
Hamrlik - Weber
Gill - Gorges
Your parings works for me, even if I don't think Gill-Mara could be a liabilty.

Quote:
My French is extemely limited and the google translation is poor, but if what I understand the above statement to be true I don't like it. Moving around d-man combinations is a disaster waiting to happen. They have to be comfortable enough with their partner to know exactly where each other are in d zone coverage. Moving people all over the place is going to make that extremely difficult and will ultimately lead to more defensive breakdowns.

Hamrlik may be a good babysitter / mentor, but we don't have the depth right now to see it through. In the past if an inexperienced d-man was having trouble we could insert a more experienced 7th man in his place. We are only carrying 6 and if we add a 7th they are almost as inexperienced. I don't see the harm in limiting Weber's even strength time with Gill right now. If he does well give him more minutes next game. If he doesn't then build his confidence with a limited role. If I am Calgary I'm putting my top line out against Weber every chance I get. Hamrlik won't be able to cover him all night.

I think we have to utilize as much experience as we can right now and use the players who have been best in the 1st two games the most.
Gagnon only stated the the pairing were changing during practice. Maybe Pern is looking for a better fit. They are only playing tomorrow after all.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
youngster

Quote:
Gagnon only stated the the pairing were changing during practice. Maybe Pern is looking for a better fit. They are only playing tomorrow after all.
Thanks and that makes more sense. I am not too opposed to what has been posted regarding the pairings at practice this morning.

Cheers.