HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2009-2010 Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL)

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
what kind of post is this?? You want him to blossom and than trade him?? If he's that good how about we keep him, geez what a novel idea; we keep our own prospects. I'm sorry but I really cannot fathom what you are suggesting, makes no sense;
I think it always kind of depends on what he turns into. If he looks like a better option than some of what the Rangers have at the time, you keep him. If it looks like there's no room, then a trade is a possibility

Old
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
what kind of post is this?? You want him to blossom and than trade him?? If he's that good how about we keep him, geez what a novel idea; we keep our own prospects. I'm sorry but I really cannot fathom what you are suggesting, makes no sense;
A couple of years ago someone posted quotes on this site from an NHL executive who commented on the Rangers having too many young players who would be maturing at around the same time. This is a good problem to have, but it is still a problem.

You can't fit them all onto one team, so the idea is to keep the best of them, and trade other young assets to fill needs, whether it be for veterans to complement them or young players in areas that the team is not strong.

The Yankees are a good local example of a team that has (recently, at least) kept its best prospects and used the surplus as trading chips.

The Rangers are not going to play six defensemen with three or less years of NHL experience at the same time. They won't go with four who have for long, so be prepared; the team has stated time and time again that they want to bring in someone to eat minutes who is an NHL veteran.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:39 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Maybe if you posted more than once every few months what I am suggesting wouldn't be such a foreign concept to you.

You can't keep every prospect.If Hagelin has a good season in 09-10 and the Rangers are able to use him as a chip to add a piece at the trading deadline,what is the problem?

Hagelin has no value right now.

Old
10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
A couple of years ago someone posted quotes on this site from an NHL executive who commented on the Rangers having too many young players who would be maturing at around the same time. This is a good problem to have, but it is still a problem.

You can't fit them all onto one team, so the idea is to keep the best of them, and trade other young assets to fill needs, whether it be for veterans to complement them or young players in areas that the team is not strong.

The Yankees are a good local example of a team that has (recently, at least) kept its best prospects and used the surplus as trading chips.

The Rangers are not going to play six defensemen with three or less years of NHL experience at the same time. They won't go with four who have for long, so be prepared; the team has stated time and time again that they want to bring in someone to eat minutes who is an NHL veteran.
Nick Swisher....best....trade....ever.

Old
10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

You can't keep every prospect.If Hagelin has a good season in 09-10 and the Rangers are able to use him as a chip to add a piece at the trading deadline,what is the problem?

Hagelin has no value right now.
Your first point is logical. You can't keep every prospect. In fact a prospect either becomes a player or stops being a prospect. Of course, having too many prospects is not a problem that sure beats the alternatives.

Your second point is interesting. He could be a chip at the trade deadline. I agree.

Your last point makes no sense whatsoever. He has value. How much value is subject to debate. The key to these kinds of deals is finding value. Very few top prospects ever get traded (which on an unrelated point is why I am skeptical about McDonagh) It takes value to acquire value. If he has a good year he could be noticed by someone. He may have been already. That's the beauty of scouting.

Old
10-06-2009, 06:44 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Your first point is logical. You can't keep every prospect. In fact a prospect either becomes a player or stops being a prospect. Of course, having too many prospects is not a problem that sure beats the alternatives.

Your second point is interesting. He could be a chip at the trade deadline. I agree.

Your last point makes no sense whatsoever. He has value. How much value is subject to debate. The key to these kinds of deals is finding value. Very few top prospects ever get traded (which on an unrelated point is why I am skeptical about McDonagh) It takes value to acquire value. If he has a good year he could be noticed by someone. He may have been already. That's the beauty of scouting.
How much value does Hagelin have coming off two so-so years at Michigan? Hagelin has a good season at Michigan and he opens up some eyes. Sather is talking to a GM about his group III next summer. Sather tells him these guys are off limits but these players are available. The GM talks to his director of player personnel about his discussion with Sather. They ask their college scouts about Hagelin and receive good reports.

Montreal did receive a top 6 forward in Gomez for McDonagh. Gomez is a good player. Montreal wasn't getting a better player than Gomez. Vinny was off the block. Gainey had enough of dealing with Lawton. The Sedin twins were staying in VAN. Sather had two interested parties in Gomez.

Quote:
09/10 Thoughts: Things are looking up for the Badgers this season. Only Jamie McBain left early, the team could easily have lost Blake Geoffrion and Ryan McDonagh. John Mitchell wasn’t a lock to return either. For the first time in several seasons, the Badgers will be dominated by upperclassmen. Ben Street returns following a medical redshirt. The stereotype of boring offense wasn’t remotely true last season (while the stereotype of horrible gopher goaltending certainly was), and w/ all the returning talent that should continue this year. The blue line is special, McDonagh and Cody Goloubef will be the leaders, and complimented by Brendan Smith and Jake Gardiner. The only real question is in goal, and cleaning up the 3rd period collapses that riddled the 2nd half of the season last year. I think leadership was lacking last season, Street’s return goes a long way to helping this.
http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.co...ersity-of.html

Old
10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

P.E.I. just fired their head coach. The team is 5-3-0-2 after 10 games and dead in the middle of the standings. I'm guessing on-ice performance wasn't the main factor in the decision...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...20in%20English

Old
10-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Found it interesting that McDonagh wasn't even mentioned in HF's 09-10 WCHA preview.

Stepan got a nod though.

Quote:
Like on the blueline, the Badgers will also have great depth upfront as well. Perhaps the best news coming into the season for the team is the long-awaited return of redshirted senior Ben Street. Street, who will serve as a tri-captain this season, saw his 2008-09 season limited to just four games after suffering a devastating knee injury last October. One returning player that made quite a splash last season and could do so again this season is sophomore Derek Stepan (NYR). The Hastings, MN native enjoyed a sensational rookie campaign leading the Badgers in rookie scoring with 33 points (nine goals, 24 assists). In addition, his 33 points also tied for sixth in the nation among rookies.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eason_preview/

Old
10-06-2009, 02:56 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
How much value does Hagelin have coming off two so-so years at Michigan?
It depends on what the scouts see. Most likely he has value to a team that scouted him before he was drafted and has kept an eye on him. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And teams have evry long memories about players they scouted before they were drafted.

Quote:
Montreal did receive a top 6 forward in Gomez for McDonagh. Gomez is a good player. Montreal wasn't getting a better player than Gomez. Vinny was off the block. Gainey had enough of dealing with Lawton. The Sedin twins were staying in VAN. Sather had two interested parties in Gomez.
Look, no one wants McDonagh to succeed more than I do but Sather moved a really bad contract in this deal. His objective was moving the contract. There wasn't a line of people who wanted that contract. In fact, there was no other contract remotely close to Gomez moved this summer. Again, I'll trust the scouts but something makes me believe this one was just too easy. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
It depends on what the scouts see. Most likely he has value to a team that scouted him before he was drafted and has kept an eye on him. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And teams have evry long memories about players they scouted before they were drafted.

Look, no one wants McDonagh to succeed more than I do but Sather moved a really bad contract in this deal. His objective was moving the contract. There wasn't a line of people who wanted that contract. In fact, there was no other contract remotely close to Gomez moved this summer. Again, I'll trust the scouts but something makes me believe this one was just too easy. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.
I think Gainey was desperate to make an impact and improve the team. He traded a RFA (Higgins) that was injured the year prior and they weren't going to bring back and a prospect (McDonagh) for a top line center (Gomez) still in his late 20's.

As much as we Rangers fans can't fathom it, Gomez had value, despite his contract, because he is dynamic and productive.

Montreal still got the "best player in the deal".

However, that's not how we (Rangers) value that deal. We were able to rid ourselves of a contract and got back value, so we could add Gaborik on July 1st.

By all accounts McDonagh will be a stud defensive Dman.

Gainey was nuts to include McDonagh in the deal, but he did what he had to, in order to try and put a contender on the ice.

We have to credit Sather for getting McDonagh in the deal.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:15 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:

Gainey had the cap space. Gainey wanted Gomez in 2007. Besides Gainey,which GM had the cap space plus the ability to spend to the upper limit?

Old
10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I think Gainey was desperate to make an impact and improve the team. He traded a RFA (Higgins) that was injured the year prior and they weren't going to bring back and a prospect (McDonagh) for a top line center (Gomez) still in his late 20's.

As much as we Rangers fans can't fathom it, Gomez had value, despite his contract, because he is dynamic and productive.

Montreal still got the "best player in the deal".

However, that's not how we (Rangers) value that deal. We were able to rid ourselves of a contract and got back value, so we could add Gaborik on July 1st.

By all accounts McDonagh will be a stud defensive Dman.

Gainey was nuts to include McDonagh in the deal, but he did what he had to, in order to try and put a contender on the ice.

We have to credit Sather for getting McDonagh in the deal.
SM - Terrific analysis of the Gomez deal. Sums up the situation perfectly.

Old
10-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Gainey had the cap space. Gainey wanted Gomez in 2007. Besides Gainey,which GM had the cap space plus the ability to spend to the upper limit?
Lets not forget that Montreal is not the most sought after destination....the scrutiny you are under over there makes a lot of players shy away.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

BC had an exhibition game a couple days ago.

Kreider was pointless.

But they won 4-1.

They have another exhibition game on Friday against USA-U18 team.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
BC had an exhibition game a couple days ago.

Kreider was pointless.

But they won 4-1.

They have another exhibition game on Friday against USA-U18 team.
Boxscore says he had an assist

http://bceagles.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_...to_pdf/10-4-09

But it also listed him twice. I know hes #19 so I'm gonna go with that lol.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Boston College is projected to be the class of Hockey East

Quote:
1. Boston College
NHL first-round choice Chris Kreider is the latest addition to a program brimming with young talent. If goalie John Muse can find his 2007-08 form, look out.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...ORTS-910070356

Old
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Chris Kreider, F, Boston College – The Eagles graduated four of their top eight scorers from a year ago, leaving plenty of room for Kreider on their scoring lines. In the last three years, BC has lost Brian Boyle, Nathan Gerbe, Benn Ferriero and Brock Bradford; replacing Gerbe proved difficult for coach Jerry York last season, but the addition of the skillful, rangy forward may help curb the effects of recent departures.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._newseason.php

Old
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Levitate

The USCHO boxscore says that Kenny Ryan got the second assist on BC's first goal. Kenny Ryan is number 18, and the one who was left off the BC boxscore because Kreider was listed twice.

It's likely that BC just messed up and Ryan was the one who got the assist. But that probably means that Kreider had two shots on goal, so it sounds like maybe he got some chances

Old
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanRanger View Post
Boxscore says he had an assist

http://bceagles.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_...to_pdf/10-4-09

But it also listed him twice. I know hes #19 so I'm gonna go with that lol.
How about that.

I was looking at InsideCollegeHockey.com.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/09...s/mbc_sfx1.o04

But the BC page you posted is probably more reliable.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

SO is insidecollegehockey.com the best college hockey website?

Or is there a better one?

Old
10-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Levitate

Don't know, I tend to use it for college scores. They've got them all together in one place and it works well

Old
10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
1) Carter Camper (Miami) - Earlier this summer I went on the record with my prediction for the Hobey and I've decided to stick to my guns. Camper has scored 41 and 42 points for the RedHawks the past two seasons and will be expected to lead Miami back to a national title game again this season. Despite being undersized like Schroeder, Caporusso, Roe and Rakhshani, Camper is the only one of the group who went un-drafted and is still not property of a NHL team. The 21-year-old is an Ohio native that played one season in the USHL with the Lincoln Stars where he compiled an impressive 71 points in 56 games. I've asked several different scouts, media and coaches about Camper and to a man (or woman) the player gets a positive review. Might a pro contract and a Hobey Baker award await Carter Camper at the end of the year? At this point, that's my bet.
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...andidates.html

Anyone seen any Miami of Ohio hockey games?

Old
10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...andidates.html

Anyone seen any Miami of Ohio hockey games?
Yes, saw them 4-5 times last season. I've been a huge fan of Camper since his Freshman year. Kid is a very good playmaker, very elusive, and has a good shot. Will his skills translate to the NHL? I don't know but I would absolutely take a flyer on him.

Oh and for those asking Kreider most certainly did not have an assist. He was playing on BC's third line but I fully expect him to get bumped up. Also got a chance to meet him last Friday - kid is just as nice in person as he appears in articles/interviews.

10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Don't know, I tend to use it for college scores. They've got them all together in one place and it works well
I use collegehockeystats.net for scores, that site usually has the least amount of errors when posting box scores.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think everyone and their mother knows I'm a big time Camper fan.

Would love for the Rangers to sign him.

Closed Thread