HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

In-season off-ice workout/exercises

Old
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
koh19

vCash: 500
In-season off-ice workout/exercises

I'm soon gonna have access to a gym, starting in 2 weeks, all year round. I know that off-ice conditioning for hockey is mainly done in the off season during summer but I do think that it would be beneficial to go once or twice a week in the gym during hockey season.

Because I already go on the ice 4-5 times per week, I wouldn't be going to the gym more than 2-3 times. It's just that instead of doing nothing during my 3 hour long lunch breaks at university, I could go to the gym for an hour and work on specifics.

So, here's my question; what can I do during these in-season off-ice sessions?

I was thinking;

-if I have a really hard practise the day before or a game, I could go on the stationary bike to "loosen up" my legs, get a sweat and stretch.

-mobility exercises for hips/legs/knees/ankles. I have a little program that I used during summer to gain lower body mobility, I could use the same one.

-Stretching

-upperbody exercises for biceps/triceps, muscles that aren't used that much during hockey

Also, what should I avoid doing? Tips/advice/experiences/...?

I'd be glad if you guys could help me!

thanks a lot

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
CanadaBacon

There is already a whole ton of threads on this topic already. Search and you will find your answer.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
There is already a whole ton of threads on this topic already. Search and you will find your answer.

Ok but my case is kinda special (no brag). I play hockey 4-5 times a week and this would only be specific workouts.

I searched and didn't find anything.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
AIREAYE

well I started a Weight Room for beginners thread, if you would scroll down a few topics...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:23 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Ok but my case is kinda special (no brag). I play hockey 4-5 times a week and this would only be specific workouts.

I searched and didn't find anything.

No offense it is not special at all. There are people on here that play 6-7 days a week.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
BrianNYR

Hockey is mainly in your legs and core (back and abs/chest)
you should work out your abs lightly a few times a week(3-4 based on your comfort), and your legs hard twice a week.
get to a local track and do plyo and explosive exercises, as well as alof of front and regular squats.
your groins, quads and your hammys are your driving muscles in a stride and those are the muscle groups you should concentrate
working out your chest will tone your arms on its own, no reason to go crazy with them. Use the bench press, standing and seated rows, and flys.
hope this helps a bit
-b

BrianNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:48 PM
winger17

You metioned developing your triceps and biceps. This would not do much at all you should improve your core and legs. That is all.

winger17 is offline   Reply With Quote