HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Macleans article on Balsillie

Old
09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

vCash: 500
Macleans article on Balsillie

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/09/30/w...ent-ballistic/

...in case anyone was curious about why Coyotes' fans are so ecstatic over Judge Baum's ruling.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Pretty good read. Loved the deposition quotes. If they were released to the public before this, I haven't read any of them. So much reading to go through the last few weeks.

One thing I found amusing; on the page 1 picture of Balsillie with mics in his face. There's a guy to the left with a mic attached to a Mission hockey stick. heh.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:36 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
great article...very informative.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
hbk

honestly, it is a very informative read but I'm at the point where I'm tired of worrying about who is going to own this team. I just want to see this team win. Let's talk hockey.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:41 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
So they finally have this story up. I checked yesterday and didnt see that it was in there yet.

Not a good week for Jim.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
honestly, it is a very informative read but I'm at the point where I'm tired of worrying about who is going to own this team. I just want to see this team win. Let's talk hockey.
Pretty much how I feel. We have seen Gretzky and Balsillie both pass us on by. Both lighting rods for such polarizing opinions. Right now, it's time to focus on the future and the great things that have happened recently. As much as this offseason has sucked... some really awesome moves have transpired. Those are much more interesting to dwell on.

Old
09-30-2009, 11:55 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Pretty much how I feel. We have seen Gretzky and Balsillie both pass us on by. Both lighting rods for such polarizing opinions. Right now, it's time to focus on the future and the great things that have happened recently. As much as this offseason has sucked... some really awesome moves have transpired. Those are much more interesting to dwell on.
If we come anywhere close to a playoff spot, Maloney deserves some serious consideration for executive of the year.

I'm still torn on the bandaid solution in Lang. The night before the signing I was going to post something discussing the need for Turris to develop quickly into our 2nd line center (I like Fiddler but that's not the role he fits best in). There is part of me that is looking at Taylor Hall (two five point games already in the CHL) and salivating. Then I realize how badly this organization needs to continue their positive progression (let's face in another 12 point progression and we're seriously fighting for a playoff spot) to build their fan base.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Pretty good read. Loved the deposition quotes. If they were released to the public before this, I haven't read any of them. So much reading to go through the last few weeks.

One thing I found amusing; on the page 1 picture of Balsillie with mics in his face. There's a guy to the left with a mic attached to a Mission hockey stick. heh.
Most of the article's deposition quotes were made public in court filings the past month, however only a small % of all the deposition content taken has made it into the public record. The lawyers only include certain pages from the depositions in support of their positions when then file legal motions. Most of the legal depositions are 200+ pages, I've probably seen no more than 20-30 pages in the filings from any individual deposee. There are many quotes I've never seen before though like Bettman talking to Balsillie earlier in the Pittsburgh fiasco.

And for the record, I'm standing just off-frame in the Balsillie picture

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

I can see how you can think that. We've been told "We're not signing anyone over 30" to "We need veteren leadership on this team badly" in just under two years. But in that time, a lot of prospects have made big strides. It's not bad to have some stop-gaps in your lineup. Just don't sign them and say you expect them to be a top six forward on your team (i.e. Roenick-part2/Hull). If Lang can do ATLEAST what Yanic Perreault did here, then that's a good move I think. Despite the temptations GMDM has faced in the last few years, we haven't given up any of those great assets we hold for an "Impact Player". Should he? That's a different discussion but now with a new coach and an actual cohesive hockey operations department, we should be able to do wonders. I want to say this though, Doug Moss get's swept under the rug here a lot. Wasn't he the one to hire Maloney? He could have easily went the way of the FoG. Now I'm not saying he's as smart as DM but for someone who doesnt come across as the typical hockey exectutive.. he sure as hell knows how to put the right people around him(as of the last couple years). He deserves some credit as to righting this ship as well.

Old
10-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Most of the article's deposition quotes were made public in court filings the past month, however only a small % of all the deposition content taken has made it into the public record. The lawyers only include certain pages from the depositions in support of their positions when then file legal motions. Most of the legal depositions are 200+ pages, I've probably seen no more than 20-30 pages in the filings from any individual deposee. There are many quotes I've never seen before though like Bettman talking to Balsillie earlier in the Pittsburgh fiasco.

And for the record, I'm standing just off-frame in the Balsillie picture
Ah.. well then you shoulda used an Easton stick, IMHO. ha.

Old
10-01-2009, 12:42 AM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
So they finally have this story up. I checked yesterday and didnt see that it was in there yet.

Not a good week for Jim.
Thanks for informing the board about the article earlier, it is a good read

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Jake16

Good article. Confirms that Balsilies' 2 biggest problems are
1. impatientce
2. stupidity in hiring and sticking with Richard Rodier, an unethical lawyer whose destined for either:
a. disbarment;
b. working for Karl Rove.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Good article. Confirms that Balsilies' 2 biggest problems are
1. impatientce
2. stupidity in hiring and sticking with Richard Rodier, an unethical lawyer whose destined for either:
a. disbarment;
b. working for Karl Rove.
Balsille's biggest mistake was approaching the purchasing of an NHL team like he would a business deal. What he should have done was study how the NHL works. Had he done that, he would have seen that he needed to take a different approach to all three of his attempts at ownership and possibly not even attempt a few of them.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
zz

I don't think Balsillie made a mistake. He's interested in only one thing - owning a franchise in S. Ontario. The chances of this happening via expansion on by-the-rules relocation are none. Of course the NHL will say 'there is a way', but the reality is it won't happen.

Getting his way through bankruptcy was a worth a try. Low risk, high reward. At worst, it was a nice publicity stunt in Canada. The guy's probably go a huge ego, and he's now portrayed as a national hero.

In the end, if Moyes gets $ 25 M out of the deal, it'll make this bankruptcy ordeal worth it for hm as well. I'm sure the original Reinsdorf deal was leaving him with nothing.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
I don't think Balsillie made a mistake. He's interested in only one thing - owning a franchise in S. Ontario. The chances of this happening via expansion on by-the-rules relocation are none. Of course the NHL will say 'there is a way', but the reality is it won't happen.

Getting his way through bankruptcy was a worth a try. Low risk, high reward. At worst, it was a nice publicity stunt in Canada. The guy's probably go a huge ego, and he's now portrayed as a national hero.

In the end, if Moyes gets $ 25 M out of the deal, it'll make this bankruptcy ordeal worth it for hm as well. I'm sure the original Reinsdorf deal was leaving him with nothing.
How can you say he did not make a mistake?
1. He did not get the team.
2. He made big enemies, alienated all of the other owners and got no-voted by the Board of Governors, essentially ending his "dream" of ever owning a team in S. Ontario.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
How can you say he did not make a mistake?
1. He did not get the team.
That was definitely a failure, but to zz's point, it was a risk/reward proposition he was willing to take...

Quote:
2. He made big enemies, alienated all of the other owners and got no-voted by the Board of Governors, essentially ending his "dream" of ever owning a team in S. Ontario.
...and he was willing to take he because he knew he'd done the damage you describe already. That is why he was filing court documents about being kept out of the game before the fact. He knew it was a foregone conclusion even it hadn't been formally stated. Odd that neither he nor his lawyer could figure out that filing before the fact doesn't fly in court, but it is still telling.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:34 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

Moyes would have walked with nothing in the May Reinsdorf deal. He walks away from this owing money. He will regret the day Richard Rodier came into his life.

Had he agreed to the Reinsdorf deal in May I am confident in exchange the NHL would have forgiven the $30M personal guarantee he owes the league, and he could have walked away, and would have been out from under everything including the Glendale lease.

Instead, he spent a massive amount on legal bills, now has to come up with $30M cash to pay the league, and may still be forced to sit in BK for months possessing that COG lease.

No way the BK was worth it. He loses money on the deal, he's lost his stature in the community, and who knows what the cost has been in the business world where his true wealth resides.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote