HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How will the lineup change when Avery returns?

View Poll Results: What happens when Avery returns?
Avery plays 4th line LW, Voros/Brashear sits depending on the opponent. 13 9.70%
Avery plays 4th line C, Boyle sits. 2 1.49%
Avery plays 3rd line C, Anisimov to 4th line, Boyle sits. 7 5.22%
Avery plays 3rd line C, Anisimov returns to HFD, no one sits. 1 0.75%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Higgins sits. 0 0%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Higgins to 4th line LW, Voros/Brashear sits. 2 1.49%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin to 3rd line RW, Kotalik sits. 4 2.99%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin to 3rd line RW, Kotalik to 4th line RW, Voros/Brashear sits. 20 14.93%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin sits. 24 17.91%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin to 4th line LW, Voros/Brashear sits. 53 39.55%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Prospal to 3rd line C, Anisimov moves to 4th line, Boyle sits. 8 5.97%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Prospal to 3rd line C, Anisimov returns to HFD. 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I agree that odc's post was over the top, but this seems to me a pretty partisan comment too - albeit more subtly stated. Lisin hit a post on the PP and it was his work to skate the puck clear and then start the play that eventually led to Gilroy's goal. And he's showing increased defensive presence (although that remains a work in progress, no question).

Having said that, I'm finding myself re-evaluating the choice I selected. Kotalik must've been reading this thread, because that was head and shoulders the best game he's had in a NY Ranger sweater - he and Prospal were the best forwards on the ice. Can I go back and change to Avery plays left wing on a top three line, Prospal shifts to center and Anisimov moves to the fourth line? (The only difference is, I'd shift Boyle to wing and sit Voros.)
I think its absurdly clear that its going to be Lisin or Anisimov sitting. Theres nothing partisan about that. Its just the way it is.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think its absurdly clear that its going to be Lisin or Anisimov sitting. Theres nothing partisan about that. Its just the way it is.
artys gonna get sent down if boyle continues to play well

i just dont see torts healthy scratching lisin

artys not creating enough as the 3rd center and i think prospal goes right to artys spot and either lisin or higgins goes to the gaby line

arty can be sent down so hes the odd man out

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

If Tortorella's accountability holds true it's got to be Lisin. I know offdacrossbar isn't going to like it, but it's gotta be. I think Kotalik saved himself with his goal and that diving play tonight.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
OverTheCap

At this point I don't even care who sits.

All I know is that the 3rd line is in desperate need of a shakeup. The 4th line generated more offense than the 3rd line.

Also, the 2nd line could probably use a playmaker as Higgins, Drury, and Cally are all finishers and are not exactly the best at distributing the puck.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:55 PM
McRanger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Opposed to Voros of course, who dazzled us yet again with his seemingly unlimited hockey skill combined with dominating fights. I think we all agree that this team will win zero games without him in the lineup.
Im a Voros supporter, but i lol'd at this

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
If Tortorella's accountability holds true it's got to be Lisin. I know offdacrossbar isn't going to like it, but it's gotta be. I think Kotalik saved himself with his goal and that diving play tonight.
3 solid, but unspectacular games from Lisin (although he didn't score, I grant you) is trumped by two **** games from Kotalik plus one good one? I agree that Kotalik was great tonight, but I don't buy it.

More importantly, I don't think that Kotalik vs. Lisin should be the choice. I mean, how do you sit either of them over Anisimov and Voros? I love Anisimov, but if you were to rank Lisin, Kotalik and Anisimov's play so far this season, Artie's the one who comes up short. And Voros is simply just not that good at anything.

Honestly, I think that Voros is by far the best choice to sit. He can be somewhat effective one game out of every 8 if he sits in the press box for two weeks, stores up energy and then plays like a maniac for a game. Rinse, repeat.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
At this point I don't even care who sits.

All I know is that the 3rd line is in desperate need of a shakeup. The 4th line generated more offense than the 3rd line.

Also, the 2nd line could probably use a playmaker as Higgins, Drury, and Cally are all finishers and are not exactly the best at distributing the puck.
like to see drury-kotalik together again

maybe avery will give that 3rd line a boost when he returns

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
zarao

Avery will probably be put on the third line with Anisimov and Kotalik. Lisin will battle it out with Voros on the fourth line. Lisin will get the first look. But I think they'll keep both. A little competition is healthy.

zarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

artys not creating enough as the 3rd center and i think prospal goes right to artys spot and either lisin or higgins goes to the gaby line

Thats just wishful thinking on your part. The Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik line accounted for 4 goals the other night, and generated the game winner by Gilroy tonight. You really want to break that line up? No, a sane person wouldnt do that...especially because the only reason you want to break them up is so Prospal can move to center and give your golden child a little more time to shed his invisibility cloak.

Anisimov is at least defensively responsible, which is FAR more than I can say about Lisin. If both aren't scoring, Anisimov is the more valuable player pretty much by default.

When Avery returns, it sure as heck looks like we'll see:

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Kotalik
Brashear-Boyle-Voros

Old
10-05-2009, 11:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Thats just wishful thinking on your part. The Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik line accounted for 4 goals the other night, and generated the game winner by Gilroy tonight. You really want to break that line up? No, a sane person wouldnt do that...especially because the only reason you want to break them up is so Prospal can move to center and give your golden child a little more time to shed his invisibility cloak.

Anisimov is at least defensively responsible, which is FAR more than I can say about Lisin. If both aren't scoring, Anisimov is the more valuable player pretty much by default.

When Avery returns, it sure as heck looks like we'll see:

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Higgins-Drury-Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Kotalik
Brashear-Boyle-Voros
from what has come from tortorellas mouth, i would assume lisin is safe for a top 9 spot while arty may be sent to hartford with boyle playing very well getting 7 minutes a night. boyle can play 7, arty cant. its a waste

torts isnt going to let arty play 7 minutes a night very long when he can be playing 20 in hartford getting stonger and gaining valuable minutes.

sorry brb, youre swimmin upstream here

Old
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
Voros sits. Lisin to fourth line RW. Avery to third line LW. Why no choice like that?
My pick.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
LOL, first line....youre unbelievable.

Lisin will be incredibly lucky to avoid the pressbox upon Avery's return. Incredibly lucky.
disagree. Both Lisin and Anisimov need to score but they both will continue to get time

Avery has to be eased in atleast a few games anyway, Voros sits......Avery could be on the 3rd line with Lisin 4th line but Torts will use Lisin on the PP and Avery on the PK........

Is it that hard to see him using those guys like he does DZ........PP time, 3rd line D pairing and when close DZ does not play alot............

he will do the same with the wingers given the situation........both Avery and Lisin need to be dressed.......Voros is a bumb.......Boyle has done pretty well as the 4th line C and in Defensive situations

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:40 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i'm just glad that we're squabbling about the 3rd line and not the 1st line. for me, avery adds a lot to the team - the stats back that up - our win% with sean in the lineup is staggering and his play fits perfectly for the system. he will play there is no question.

voros and lisin are the 2 expendables. i dont see anisimov as being benched/sent-down as we're not going to mess with the centers currently. i like the 4th line even with voros.

i say bench lisin, but it's not that big of a deal.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Kind of Blue

What happened to all the people who wanted Avery on the 4th line...

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:52 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
What happened to all the people who wanted Avery on the 4th line...
They have seen what the third line looks like.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
They have seen what the third line looks like.
I agree the 3rd line has not been very noticeable yet with that said I am still fine with Avery on the 4th line to start and then moving him up as the game goes on.

regardless of anything bench Voros

I also see why people want him on the 3rd line/Avery that is because the top 2 lines have looked pretty solid and the 4th as is has done a good enough job.......but when its all said and done this team needs scoring and Lisin has the potential to pop some goals

regardless of anything aswell Anisimov should be 3rd line C still with Boyle 4th

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
BroadwayLocal

How about this solution?

Drury slides back to 3rd line so he can rest rest the PK and end of game close down role. Avery needs to move up to the number 2 line. Mix up the centers somehow, but I think get Avery ice time with other hustlers like Cally and Higgins.

BroadwayLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
3 solid, but unspectacular games from Lisin (although he didn't score, I grant you) is trumped by two **** games from Kotalik plus one good one? I agree that Kotalik was great tonight, but I don't buy it.

It's been three games, I've watched Big Gay Al for years in Buffalo.

This is what you'll get from Al:

Pros:
- will hit 22-25 goals, no matter what
- will forecheck hard
- will play at a decent level of physical hockey
- can grind on the boards with the best when he's on his game
- will hustle every night

Cons:
- doesn't LOOK like he's hustling. On his off nights, that'll make it look like he's skating around in his back yard and people will jump on his back
- his biggest problem: lack of instincts.
He'll go to the net, he'll go to open spaces, etc... Just more often than not, not at the right time.

You play this guy on your 3rd unit (as long as it's not a "shutdown" line), give him ES time cos he does bring some good stuff, especially when he's on his game, and you give him PP time.

Oh, and he gets more physical in the playoffs.

And yeah, having Al on your team means 5-6 more points in the season due to his SO prowess.

All in all, Big Al isn't a superstar... Nor a star really... And has a bunch of shortcomings.
But he'll give you 100%, he's a good teammate, and if you can live through his coldstreaks cos Gaborik etc. are firing, you'll love the guy when he hits his hotstreaks.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
from what has come from tortorellas mouth, i would assume lisin is safe for a top 9 spot while arty may be sent to hartford with boyle playing very well getting 7 minutes a night. boyle can play 7, arty cant. its a waste

torts isnt going to let arty play 7 minutes a night very long when he can be playing 20 in hartford getting stonger and gaining valuable minutes.

sorry brb, youre swimmin upstream here
Ill say it again...maybe you can follow me this time...It would be idiotic to break up the Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik tandem at this point. I certainly dont envision them staying together all season...in fact, I think a Prospal/Callahan tandem would look good down the line...however, they're playing pretty darn well now and theres no reason to break them up. The only way Anisimov sits is if Prospal shifts back to center and thats not happening in the immediate future.

Again, Anisimov temporarily wins the spot over Lisin because he is actually defensively responsible.

Old
10-06-2009, 12:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Ill say it again...maybe you can follow me this time...It would be idiotic to break up the Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik tandem at this point. I certainly dont envision them staying together all season...in fact, I think a Prospal/Callahan tandem would look good down the line...however, they're playing pretty darn well now and theres no reason to break them up. The only way Anisimov sits is if Prospal shifts back to center and thats not happening in the immediate future.

Again, Anisimov temporarily wins the spot over Lisin because he is actually defensively responsible.
so far in 3 games i havent seen anything from lisin that is that alarming. torts knows hes not good in his own end away from the puck but he seems to think his offense outways that. he may be clueless in his own end but hes still been able to be involved offensively enough for torts to take notice.

through 3 games, lisin has shown he battles hard on the wall and has made those nice passes you were complaining about him not making last week.

even though were 2-1, i would retool the top 3 lines. actually, all 4 lines really.
right now were a 1 line team. we need all line to contribute and removing lisin is counter productive to creating offensive chances.

i still believe prospal at center is the best choice to balance out our scoring. as torts said, hes a gifted puck distributor and hes being wasted playing on line 1. prospal can center the second line and will give us more from there than he is right now on line 1. that will allow dru to center line 3 or move to wing even and arty to center line 4 or line 3.

this team will improve if boyle and voros are not dressed everynight.

Old
10-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
so far in 3 games i havent seen anything from lisin that is that alarming. torts knows hes not good in his own end away from the puck but he seems to think his offense outways that. he may be clueless in his own end but hes still been able to be involved offensively enough for torts to take notice.

through 3 games, lisin has shown he battles hard on the wall and has made those nice passes you were complaining about him not making last week.

even though were 2-1, i would retool the top 3 lines. actually, all 4 lines really.
right now were a 1 line team. we need all line to contribute and removing lisin is counter productive to creating offensive chances.

i still believe prospal at center is the best choice to balance out our scoring. as torts said, hes a gifted puck distributor and hes being wasted playing on line 1. prospal can center the second line and will give us more from there than he is right now on line 1. that will allow dru to center line 3 or move to wing even and arty to center line 4 or line 3.

this team will improve if boyle and voros are not dressed everynight.
See? This is what happens when you hype a relatively unproven player up to no end in the pre-season. You have become so invested in Enver Lisin that you are physically unable to admit that hes been pretty pedestrian...and that he, along with Anisimov, are the 2 glaring candidates to take a seat once Avery comes back.

Instead, you're advocating juggling the entire lineup (a lineup that has been pretty good besides the 3rd line that houses Anisimov and Lisin, mind you) just to find a way to keep him in the lineup. When you combine that with statements about how he had a nice pass or a good shot, it becomes kind of sad actually.

Old
10-06-2009, 12:47 PM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

i dont see how anisimov wins out onanything considering both he and Lisin are minus players and Lisin has shown ALOT more in the offensive zone than Anisimov has at this point. who kidnapped the preseason Anisimov?

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
i dont see how anisimov wins out onanything considering both he and Lisin are minus players and Lisin has shown ALOT more in the offensive zone than Anisimov has at this point. who kidnapped the preseason Anisimov?
Anisimov has the whole defensively responsible center thing going for him. If Torts doesnt want to rock the boat too much, it'd be much easier to just do a wing for wing swap on the third line...in goes Avery, out comes Lisin.

But yes, I agree. Anisimov needs to show more in the offensive end. The pre-season Anisimov was pulling off those nice moves against AHL defensemen. Its a whole different ball-game now.

Old
10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
OverTheCap

I don't get it. We FINALLY have a first line that looks like a REAL first line in this league, something we haven't had since Straka-Nylander-Jagr.

Yet people want to split it up to cater to Lisin? This doesn't make any sense.

If and when the first line struggles, THEN you start thinking about switching things up. But why now when the first line is still playing so well?

What has Lisin done to displace Prospal on the first line? Prospal has outplayed Lisin by a mile, especially last night with his strong defensive play and 2 assists.

I still maintain that Lisin is a Dawes/Prucha type player that HAS to produce to succeed. If he wants to be moved up in the lineup, he needs to earn it. He looks good offensively, but hasn't done enough to prove he belongs on the 1st line.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:

Boyle played good last night. But was dreadful in the first 2 games. I think Lisin is gonna get bumped to the 4th line and get some PP time.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote