HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs and Marc-Andre Bergeron Talking

Old
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
If Bergeron scored 14 goals and still wasn't signed by any NHL team,what does that say about the rest of his game?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If Bergeron scored 14 goals and still wasn't signed by any NHL team,what does that say about the rest of his game?
No, no... you don't understand... he had plenty of offers, he's so well off that he'd rather not play than lower his contract expectations like Tanguay, Sykora and others have done.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
patsbury

RDS reports it as "official" negotiations
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/283737.html

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
RDS reports it as "official" negotiations
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/283737.html
IF this happens, i hope its for one year at min. salary or else he can stay home
and that he agrees to play 4th line when we go against better offensive teams.

thats the only way i see this working because he is another small and defensively challenged player.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Lucius

One thing I noticed in the RDS article.

Anyone else catch that Bergeron was a +4 last year.

Not bad for someone who was so terrible defensively that no one here wants him. He also scored 14 goals on a defensive Minnesota team.

Frankly, I want him signed yesterday.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
One thing I noticed in the RDS article.

Anyone else catch that Bergeron was a +4 last year.

Not bad for someone who was so terrible defensively that no one here wants him. He also scored 14 goals on a defensive Minnesota team.

Frankly, I want him signed yesterday.
Not only +4, but also the only defenseman in Minnesota with a +...

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Chili

If I played in front of Backstrom, my +/- could be good too. It's a team stat. (not knocking Bergeron but that stat is not very reflective of a player).

One point that others have brought up incliduing Francois Gagnon, what kind of shape are guys in that haven't played since last spring?

Bring him in for a workout before offering a contract.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:10 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
He is a +3 for his 300+ game NHL career, I think his defensive shortcomings are overrated, especially when we have players like Gorges, Mara, Hamrlik and even Gill who can be counted on in their own end, and can thus be paired with him successfully.

I would not be opposed to this signing, I was iffy before O'B went down, but with two of our regular D out, we need someone with experience (can't go too long with just 6 d, and I wouldn't be comfortable with both Weber and Carle with the big team)

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
If I played in front of Backstrom, my +/- could be good too. It's a team stat. (not knocking Bergeron but that stat is not very reflective of a player).

One point that others have brought up incliduing Francois Gagnon, what kind of shape are guys in that haven't played since last spring?

Bring him in for a workout before offering a contract.
True, but he was also the only D-man on the team with a + rating. Zidlicky, for instance was -12. Great point with the conditioning though, that is my one big worry.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
True, but he was also the only D-man on the team with a + rating. Zidlicky, for instance was -12. Great point with the conditioning though, that is my one big worry.
I haven't followed him enough to have any opinion on Bergeron good or bad.
But on the +/- there is a big difference on how a player is used. When they played the Wings, who was was matched against Zetterberg and Datsyuk? When they played Anaheim who faced the Getzlaf line and so on.

That has a big effect on that number. A couple of years ago Tom Preissing was second in the league most of the season in +/- to Nik Lidstrom. He was the Sens #6 dman. Phillips and Volchenkov faced all the top forwards of the other teams. Preissing was mainly used on the powerplay where you only get a minus on a shorthanded goal. That's only one example, I can make a very long post on why the stat is flawed in my opinion for many reasons.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:35 AM
LesCanadiens

Here is a little insight of him from Minny fans:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=Bergeron

Personally, the times I've seen him play, he was just OK defensively...kinda like a JJ Daigneault clone - maybe not as good defensive awareness. Offensively though, this guy can make plays all day long.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Here is a little insight of him from Minny fans:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...light=Bergeron

Personally, the times I've seen him play, he was just OK defensively...kinda like a JJ Daigneault clone - maybe not as good defensive awareness. Offensively though, this guy can make plays all day long.
Well maybe they were being nice, but for the most part, the good outweighed the bad.

Old
10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
We have to realize that Bergeron is not a Replacement for Markov. Its impossible to get someone so well rounded off UFA in October. Hes a great option, can produce points, and makes plays. Sounds like a perfect fit to me.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
We have to realize that Bergeron is not a Replacement for Markov. Its impossible to get someone so well rounded off UFA in October. Hes a great option, can produce points, and makes plays. Sounds like a perfect fit to me.
Well at least people are coming around here. Whats funny is that nobody batted an eye when we signed Brisebois last year to a late contract around 800000$ a year. Somehow Bergeron will hurt us comparatively. I don't get it.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:08 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
We have to realize that Bergeron is not a Replacement for Markov. Its impossible to get someone so well rounded off UFA in October.
Nevermind as UFAs in October. How many D-men of Markov's general caliber are there in the entire league? Seven? Ten maybe? How often are D-men of this caliber available at all? Maybe one every year, give or take?

The Habs are already lucky to have Spacek.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
MathMan

Bergeron is a good fit. He's small and may be suspect defensively, but fantastic offensively and good at holding the zone, and he's a good passer. The Habs' D is really honking huge but they want to develop a strong transition game. Bergeron could be a good fit with one of the Habs' bigger D-men (Mara or Gill, say) on a 2B style pairing.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Well at least people are coming around here. Whats funny is that nobody batted an eye when we signed Brisebois last year to a late contract around 800000$ a year. Somehow Bergeron will hurt us comparatively. I don't get it.
something tells me Bergeron isn't sitting around unsigned because he's willing to play for $800K....

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Bullsmith

The fact that he costs us nothing but money is what makes this a good solution to me. If he's on a one-year contract and can be moved/waived/demoted if he doesn't pan out, then it's a very good idea. Sucking all season costs money too.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
something tells me Bergeron isn't sitting around unsigned because he's willing to play for $800K....
No, he's not obviously willing to play for that. But at 1.3-5? Please, its nothing considering we have 5.75 million free until like late january.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The fact that he costs us nothing but money is what makes this a good solution to me. If he's on a one-year contract and can be moved/waived/demoted if he doesn't pan out, then it's a very good idea. Sucking all season costs money too.
Agreed. I see no downside to this.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Daice

i would take him 1 year 850k-1mil max

this guy slapped a 103.5mph in an oiler skill competition. coupel a years ago....
Chara's best is 105 last year during skill competition...
souray is at 100.4-104

I'm not saying he will always slap at 103 mph but this means he has some crazy good shot...
only thing is his accuracy...

If spacek pulls a markov in each game and feeds bergeron it would work.... remember spacek even though he has a decent slapper, his main quality is passing, bergie is slap it hard...

if he slaps it on the net, its good for me, those around the net will put it easier...

Daice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
No, he's not obviously willing to play for that. But at 1.3-5? Please, its nothing considering we have 5.75 million free until like late january.
Ture, but a player with something to prove will be willing to play. I'm always cautious to players who's ego's get in the way and over value their self worth.

He hasn't played this year either. I'm not to thrilled of signing this guy for the fact he's injury prone as hell, and is probably not even close to being in game shape.

I'd much rather give the ice-time to Weber who brings similar skill-set to the table and give him the experience. It's not like bergeron would be playing anything higher than the 5/6 on this team anyway, so let a young player get the limited ice-time and go up against the teams lower-end forwards. Bergeron is nothing but a band-aid fix, and hinders the development of younger players at this point.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Ture, but a player with something to prove will be willing to play. I'm always cautious to players who's ego's get in the way and over value their self worth.

He hasn't played this year either. I'm not to thrilled of signing this guy for the fact he's injury prone as hell, and is probably not even close to being in game shape.

I'd much rather give the ice-time to Weber who brings similar skill-set to the table and give him the experience. It's not like bergeron would be playing anything higher than the 5/6 on this team anyway, so let a young player get the limited ice-time and go up against the teams lower-end forwards. Bergeron is nothing but a band-aid fix, and hinders the development of younger players at this point.
I'm of the mind that over 20 minutes a game in hamilton will help his game more, but maybe going the Del Zotto route is better. Its a matter of opinion really. Gainey will do whatever he thinks is best for him, so we could talk this to death, and it will get us nowhere.

Old
10-06-2009, 11:52 AM
stockwell7

Looks like he signed!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-Andr%C3%A9_Bergeron

At the bottom it says he signed today.

stockwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwell7 View Post
Looks like he signed!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc-Andr%C3%A9_Bergeron

At the bottom it says he signed today.
Not the 1st time we see that with Wikipedia.Didn't they have Bouillon signing in New york or Boston last month?Wouldn't really pay attention until either TSN or RDS has it confirmed

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote