HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009-10 Manchester Monarchs Update Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2009, 02:15 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

vCash: 500
counting down the days til Loktionov takes Stoll's spot as #2 Center.

Old
10-05-2009, 04:21 AM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
As per one of the links Ziggy Stardust provided,Not sure about if and/or to what extent CHL suspensions are honored in the pro leagues. Not the same thing but Downie was suspended for 20 games by the NHL prior to the 2007-08 season and he ended up having to serve 10 AHL regular season games before he was able to play in the AHL.

If Nolan signed a pro deal this season and earned an ELC starting the following season, then his entry level contract wouldn't be over until after the 2012-13 season.
Yes, but if he went back to the Soo, the Kings could sign him to a 3 year ELC and it would be over 2013-14 correct?

Anyway, looks like he was sent back to the Soo over contract issues. Sounds like Nolan didn't want to go to Ontario and rejected the two way deal.

Quote:
He was in Manchester, N.H., last week, attending the camp of L.A.’s American Hockey League affiliate, the Manchester Monarchs. But when contract negotiations with the Kings broke down Friday, Nolan was ready to return for his fifth, Ontario Hockey League season.

“I was pleased with how I did at the camps and I felt comfortable. I was hoping to get an NHL contract, but it’s not easy to get one,” said Nolan, who was seeking a two-way, NHL/AHL deal.

He said the Kings final offer was a two-way, AHL/ECHL (formerly known as the East Coast Hockey League) agreement.
Full article at: http://saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1973081

Old
10-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Yes, but if he went back to the Soo, the Kings could sign him to a 3 year ELC and it would be over 2013-14 correct?

Anyway, looks like he was sent back to the Soo over contract issues. Sounds like Nolan didn't want to go to Ontario and rejected the two way deal.

Full article at: http://saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1973081
No, if Nolan earns an ELC after playing in juniors this season, the ELC would be over after the 2012-13 season, just as it would have been if he had signed a two-way deal with Manchester this year and earned an ELC the following year.

Not a smart move by Nolan. Late round CHL picks drafted as 20 year olds usually have to sign with the AHL team and then, if they play well enough, earn ELCs the following season, a la Azevedo. He's probably hoping he can force the issue a la Campbell but third round CHL picks drafted as 20 year olds usually get ELCs and late round picks usually don't.

Last edited by Sam: 10-05-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Johnny Utah

So what happens to Nolan now? What are his options with the Kings after this season?

Old
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
So what happens to Nolan now? What are his options with the Kings after this season?
The Kings will have his rights until June 1, 2011. Nolan plays in the OHL this season and Ontario/Manchester the following season. He may or may not get the ELC that he's looking for next year.

Technically, the Kings will have to make Nolan a bona fide offer prior to June 1, 2010 but that's just a matter of extending his rights for another year and is not the ELC players are looking for (since a bona fide offer only means that the club has to offer the minimum NHL salary and the minimum AHL salary with no signing bonus).

Old
10-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Segal played very well for AHL Norfolk last season and decent in his limited viewings during call-up in Tampa. I was hoping Tampa would re-sign him this summer, but you guys have a good hard working player who can score goals at the AHL level with this guy.

Hows he doing btw?

Old
10-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Fat Elvis

Is there anything really special about Nolan for LA to offer him a contract? A late 7th round pick doesn't present itself as a "must sign" prospect. Does he have any skills that are missing in the organization?

Old
10-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
Is there anything really special about Nolan for LA to offer him a contract? A late 7th round pick doesn't present itself as a "must sign" prospect. Does he have any skills that are missing in the organization?
Short answer: No

Old
10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Short answer: No
Long answer: No.

Old
10-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I guess he takes after his father, a potential headcase who thinks he is better and worth more than he actually is.

Old
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
I kinda wondered the same thing. He obviously doesn't follow the Kings, as they rarely ever sign a current year draft pick during camp. Unless he doesn't want to play for the Kings, you'd think he'd do what the organization wants and play in Ontario this year like Pelech is.

In fact, I wonder if Michael Pelech was signed to the deal Jordan Nolan was going to get?

Old
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Chazz Reinhold

http://ahl.neulion.com/team/console.jsp

Click on "Free Highlights" and scroll down to find the Monarchs game.

Old
10-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's a link to the video, http://ahl.neulion.com/team/console.jsp?catid=2&id=3456

Old
10-06-2009, 01:33 PM
kkempy

Segal was impressive in Albany Saturday night.

Old
10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Johnny Utah

Dude Westgarth just outclasses all those guys, when are we going to see him...Ivanans did nothing in a 6-3 loss on Sat.

Old
10-06-2009, 02:06 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I am the only one that sees that Westgarth isn't as good of a hockey player as Ivanans?

I just don't understand the fascination with Westgarth. Ivanans is not a good hockey player, but Westgarth is baaaaad.

Forget fights, everyone rags on Ivanans for being such a liability, but Westgarth is twice the liability defensively. If he wasn't, he'd be with the Kings right now.

And is anyone else having trouble viewing that video? Won't even load anything for me.

Old
10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I am the only one that sees that Westgarth isn't as good of a hockey player as Ivanans?

I just don't understand the fascination with Westgarth. Ivanans is not a good hockey player, but Westgarth is baaaaad.

Forget fights, everyone rags on Ivanans for being such a liability, but Westgarth is twice the liability defensively. If he wasn't, he'd be with the Kings right now.

And is anyone else having trouble viewing that video? Won't even load anything for me.
meh, i see them pretty much as equals in my mind though we haven't had a big regular season sampling from westgarth. the biggest thing for me is the minor penalties, it seemed that ivanans was singled out on many occasions(maybe bc of his size) but at the same time his lazy reaches and hooks are pathetic and often put the team down short handed. they're pretty much a wash to me at the moment with the higher upside going to westgarth being younger and more hungry to mix s-word up.

Old
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

Don't go taking all the credit, you pig!!!

Hey, I'm right there with you. Westgarth isn't Ivanans which is what I think most posters like about him (and the fact that Ivanans doesn't fight as much, like that's his fault) but Westgarth CAN'T skate. Ivanans for his size is better skater and player imo.

Old
10-06-2009, 02:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Don't go taking all the credit, you pig!!!

Hey, I'm right there with you. Westgarth isn't Ivanans which is what I think most posters like about him (and the fact that Ivanans doesn't fight as much, like that's his fault) but Westgarth CAN'T skate. Ivanans for his size is better skater and player imo.
Good to know I'm not alone.

The skating is the big thing for me, with positioning being the other. Ivanans was never bad at positioning, just too slow to get there. Now that he is faster, he is in good position. Westgarth looks like he needs the ice walker sometimes, and is constantly out of position.

I've also seen Westgarth take lazy hooking penalties, so I don't buy that argument either.

I think you are right, it's just that Westgarth's name isn't Ivanans, apparently therefore anyone not named Ivanans > Ivanans.

Old
10-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Westgarth produced fairly respectable numbers in college and in minors for a fourth line enforcer. And as stated, Ivanans and his stupid penalties will not be missed. Raitis led the team in minor penalties taken. For a player who gets an average of 7-8 minutes of ice time, it is pretty bad that the enforcer is leading the team in minor penalties. He had 35 minors. You know how many minor penalties Brashear had? 22. Laraque had 8 minor penalties. Parros, 10 minor penalties. Maybe that Princeton degree has something to do with on-ice smarts. Hopefully Westgarth gets that rub as well. I don't see him as just another meathead.

Old
10-06-2009, 03:10 PM
not tellin*

Quote:

The skating is the big thing for me, with positioning being the other. Ivanans was never bad at positioning, just too slow to get there. Now that he is faster, he is in good position. Westgarth looks like he needs the ice walker sometimes, and is constantly out of position.

I've also seen Westgarth take lazy hooking penalties, so I don't buy that argument either.

I think you are right, it's just that Westgarth's name isn't Ivanans, apparently therefore anyone not named Ivanans > Ivanans.
of course, everyone does. it's just the amount and rate that they do them in. have you really seen enough of westgarth in regular season NHL games to say it would be equal to ivanans? nope, and i can't tell you it would be the opposite either. like i said, it's mainly a wash for me and i don't think one particularly outplays the other on the ice but if we can dress an enforcer that doesn't take that many of those penalties i'm all for it. you're correct though, it is just a different namesake at this point.

Old
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
of course, everyone does. it's just the amount and rate that they do them in. have you really seen enough of westgarth in regular season NHL games to say it would be equal to ivanans? nope, and i can't tell you it would be the opposite either. like i said, it's mainly a wash for me and i don't think one particularly outplays the other on the ice but if we can dress an enforcer that doesn't take that many of those penalties i'm all for it. you're correct though, it is just a different namesake at this point.
Well you are right. Westgarth's sample size is considerably smaller so far. However, while that applies to rate of penalties, I don't think it applies as much to hockey smarts and skating ability, in which I see a difference in favor of Ivanans.

They are pretty close, but I guess it's really just the insuations or outright statements by some that Westgarth IS a better option that I don't understand. So far, AT BEST, Westgarth has shown he is equal to Ivanans. I've seen nothing to suggest he is better at this point, and until he does, I'll go with the guy who has more NHL experience. Throwing punches with reckless abandon isn't enough for me to arbitrarily want Ivanans replaced.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
not tellin*

in the end i agree, i'm just fine with westgarth doing some more developing down in the manch and hopefully be ready to go next season, possibly. ivanans can definitely hang with the heavies but i just wish he had a bit more insentive to mix it up. i was really looking forward to clune starting the season to provide some spark and fill the void that ivanans seems to lack. we're left with the same nastiness level as last year at the moment. i'll just hope that saturday night will not be the norm for the season.

Old
10-06-2009, 07:42 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by not tellin View Post
in the end i agree, i'm just fine with westgarth doing some more developing down in the manch and hopefully be ready to go next season, possibly. ivanans can definitely hang with the heavies but i just wish he had a bit more insentive to mix it up. i was really looking forward to clune starting the season to provide some spark and fill the void that ivanans seems to lack. we're left with the same nastiness level as last year at the moment. i'll just hope that saturday night will not be the norm for the season.
I always wondered how anyone can tell whether Ivanans is trying to start a fight or not. Just because he doesn't go around egging people into fight doesn't mean he's not out there trying. His way may just be subtle as "wanna go"? Honestly, if Ivanans DIDN'T try and start a fight, I don't think TM would have him out there as much as he does. I just don't think there are a lot of players that want to mix it up with Ivanans and definitely no one on the yotes.

As for Clune, I can't wait for this guy to get healthy. I think he'll be the badly needed spark plug. And I agree with you about needing some nastiness on our team. We have a bunch of nice guys playing the game. We need someone to stir things up and get under the skin of the opponents. Yeah, we have Clune but we can use a bit more of that. Who knows, perhaps DL will trade Mr Nice Guy Frolov and pick up some of that nasty that we need so badly. Oh, and some speed with that nasty please.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:45 AM
ru4reals

Quote:

Make it three of us. I think Ivanans is more intimidating in my opinion and I also think he's a better fighter. I've said this many times before, and don't get me wrong I would love Westgarth to make the team but I don't think any tough guy is actually scared of Westgarth. He does okay in the AHL but if you've ever seen his fights he has no defense and that's pretty scary. It's a hit or miss with his fights. Ivanans doesn't fight as much because A. I think other guys are somewhat scared of him, and B. The west coast doesn't fight as much as the east. If he just reduces his stupid penalties then he's gonna be fine. He doesn't even have to play just sit his A** on the bench, or give him his odd 2 shifts and that's pretty much all we need from him.

Closed Thread