HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dave Tippett ... is a genius?

Old
10-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Stars-Preds

vCash: 500
Dave Tippett ... is a genius?

http://www.nhlintel.com/2009/10/01/s...true-or-false/

Scroll down to question #3.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 06:04 PM
DouX
Keeping Arizona Icy

Let's just hope he builds Phoenix into a winner.

DouX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouXer4ouR View Post
Let's just hope he builds Phoenix into a winner.
I say the odds of PHX making the playoffs with Tippett have to be some where around 80%......

Even if you guys can get a playoff round in, that would be a huge building block .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
I say the odds of PHX making the playoffs with Tippett have to be some where around 80%......

Even if you guys can get a playoff round in, that would be a huge building block .
I think that's pretty generous on the odds.

I'd say that the odds of Tippett and the Coyotes making the playoffs would rest right now at about 30%, and that's being somewhat optimistic.

But the odds of the Gretzky-led Coyotes making the playoffs were about 6%, so that's still a significant improvement.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
Watch the first dozen or so games before you pile on the pessimism. This is direct at all Coyote fans in general. It's not unheard of for a team to make a sudden turn around, especially a roster as talented as ours. Outsiders may not see it but we know we have a well balanced group of forwards, and a steady enough D to really do some damage.

If we play like we did against the Kings, we will probably take 2nd in the Pacific and a decent seed in the playoffs. I think SJ will score more goals than us and use that to cheat out more wins than us. Coyotes have to scrap.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
PhoPhan

Likewise, maybe go easy on the optimism. They've played one game so far, and it wasn't exactly a technical masterpiece.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post

I'd say that the odds of Tippett and the Coyotes making the playoffs would rest right now at about 30%, and that's being somewhat optimistic.

But the odds of the Gretzky-led Coyotes making the playoffs were about 6%, so that's still a significant improvement.
to much pressure went with Wayne.

It was a tough situation for the players. I mean the best player in hockey history is your coach ..(with no experience in coaching) the expectation/pressure level was very high ...

I gotta feel the players are more relaxed with Tippet....

Tippet's coaching record isnt bad, missed the playoffs only one season .

Phx roster doesn't stink , so it's a manageable team that can run into the playoffs with the right coach ......

You got a solid goalie Bryzgalov which helps.

Not predicting no stanley cup ,but a playoff berth is highly possible.

The players of this team have something to play for this season , its been left for dead,written off , these are some of the more dangerous teams to play against as they feel like they got something to prove to the world.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:33 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
Watch the first dozen or so games before you pile on the pessimism.
Man, WTF? It's not like I'm predicting the end of the world here. I simply said that 80% probability of the team making the playoffs after one promising game and seven years of famine is at least premature and likely very generous.

And as far as the "first dozen or so games" goes, like rt said before we went up to the ASG last year looking like we were in good shape for the playoffs and then ended up nearly winning the lottery for Tavares.

Realistically, we're looking at a slim shot to make the playoffs. It's a shot nonetheless - and I very much doubt that we're going to be in the running for Taylor Hall regardless (maybe Teemu Pulkkinen? This franchise tends to develop Teemus pretty well... ).

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

No, no. We take our pick(10-15) and Calgary's pick(20-25), package them, and see how far we can move up. Hall, Fowler, Kabanov, Seguin, Connolly, or Gudbranson would be nice.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Likewise, maybe go easy on the optimism. They've played one game so far, and it wasn't exactly a technical masterpiece.
Exactly. We were great in two zones and pretty damn bad in the other. It was an exciting win, but there is so obviously a long, long way to go.

Old
10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
PhoPhan

I'm not quite ready to even say they were "great" in the offensive zone. They ran the show between the blue lines, but only the powerplay goal came off sustained pressure. The rest were all quick goals off turnovers.

Old
10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'm not quite ready to even say they were "great" in the offensive zone. They ran the show between the blue lines, but only the powerplay goal came off sustained pressure. The rest were all quick goals off turnovers.
The last three goals were off of turn overs. The first goal was that amazing stretch pass from Jovo to Vrbata, the second was off a rush when Lombardi banked it in off off Matt Greene(?), and the third was Winnik tipping in a point shot from Michalek. Then came the turnovers. First, Prucha intercepting a failed clearing attempt by Simmonds and dishing it to Vrbata for the goal. Then, the Upshall one-timer off of the intercepted Doughty pass. Finally, Lang picking off Doughty and firing it right in the net.

Old
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
PhoPhan

The Winnik one I misremembered as a powerplay goal, though I now recall it was about half a minute after the powerplay was over. Anyway, perhaps "off transition" would have been more accurate than "off turnover" for the rest of them, but regardless: none of those goals came off sustained pressure.

I know it was only one game, and especially with how late Tippett got there, it's not nearly enough to base anything off. Still, it looked more like a fluky offensive outburst than the mark of an offensive juggernaut. Granted, it's no small feat to be able to generate as many rushes as the Coyotes did (and last year, many of those rushes would have been simply chipped into the zone), and I give them credit for working as hard as they did. But typically, the teams who demonstrate offensive success over the course of the year are those who can keep the puck in the zone and sustain pressure on a goalie as opposed to the teams who generate sporadic rushes.

Old
10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
To be simple...I liked what I saw but I need to this on a consistent basis. They did alot of good things but there are areas that need to be improved on.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The last three goals were off of turn overs. The first goal was that amazing stretch pass from Jovo to Vrbata, the second was off a rush when Lombardi banked it in off off Matt Greene(?), and the third was Winnik tipping in a point shot from Michalek. Then came the turnovers. First, Prucha intercepting a failed clearing attempt by Simmonds and dishing it to Vrbata for the goal. Then, the Upshall one-timer off of the intercepted Doughty pass. Finally, Lang picking off Doughty and firing it right in the net.
Add in that Quick looked "Cloutier-esque" on several of those (especially Vrbata's).

The Yotes roster certainly has plenty of talent if they can gel as a team and Bryz plays great.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
SH1VERmeT1MBERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
to much pressure went with Wayne.

It was a tough situation for the players. I mean the best player in hockey history is your coach ..(with no experience in coaching) the expectation/pressure level was very high ...

I gotta feel the players are more relaxed with Tippet....
That might have been the case with the young guys early on, but it was the least of the problems with Gretzky's "coaching" tenure.

The fact that Tippet has a successful track record as a coach and has an actual system greatly improves our chances of making the playoffs. This team has the talent to be successful in the offensive and defensive zones, the faceoff circle, specialty teams and between the pipes; and we now have a coach that will put the players in the positions that best insure their success.

As long as the ownershp situation doesn't affect the players, this team has a great shot at making the playoffs.

SH1VERmeT1MBERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Good article.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

"We've got lots of work to do," Head Coach Dave Tippett said Monday. "The old saying - 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' - well, I go by 'if it's not broke, you haven't looked hard enough.' So, that's where we are today... I like this group. They've got a lot of enthusiasm. They're jumping in, putting the work in and hopefully that gets us the results we want. "

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 06:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Remember how often we'd be pulling our hair out around here because Gretzky would say that he thought we had a good game, when the game was anything but? This is a nice change.

Old
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Tippett is not a genius but is vastly underrated as a coach in the NHL, he's a well kept secret.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Also, I'm actually pretty pleased that the PKing seems to be the area that needs the most work, albeit very early on. Reason being, that I know the PK will get it's act together. We just have too many good PKers for it not to. Seriously. We have A LOT of players that are great on the PK. Doan, Lombardi, Hanzal, Vrbata, Korpikoski, Fiddler, Winnik, Pyatt, and I thought Upshall looked really good in the roll at the end of last season. That's three fourths of our forwards that are more than capable of killing penalites.

Old
10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Based on the responses here not one coyotes fan has a reason to hate him.

I would like to see Tippett more though involved in the media spotlight outhere and (unlike Wayne) actually get involved in community events not involved at the golf course! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Llewzaher

Alot of the knock from Philly fans on Upshall is he always took bad penalties and got his team in trouble . That is something to watch and see what happens . Hopefully if this is the case Tippett can "cure " him of this soon .

Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewzaher View Post
Alot of the knock from Philly fans on Upshall is he always took bad penalties and got his team in trouble . That is something to watch and see what happens . Hopefully if this is the case Tippett can "cure " him of this soon .

Two of his three penalties were utter BS.

Old
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
knowsthegame

Opposing teams used to get up for games against Gretzky and the Yotes. The players would elevate their play to show GTO how good they were.
Even the opposing coaches took delight in beating TGO.
We now have that monkey off our backs. Now opposing teams may expect an easy 2 points and be ripe for us to knock them off.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

The difference that I've seen just from the first game is that our "transition" game is leaps and bounds ahead of last year...you really can't compare the two.

We generated more odd-man rushes in the game vs the Kings that we had through the first half of last year...or at least it seemed that way.

Do we need further "offensive zone work", of course, but I'm very encouraged of the progress they've made in such a short time, remember its not like they had a complete training camp to learn and adapt to Tippett's system.

I'm also encouraged because of the number of "turnovers" we created...another item that was missing from the armamentarium last year.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote