HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just got my first tooth knocked out playing Ice Hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2009, 08:00 AM
  #26
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I just got my front tooth knocked the heck out about a half an hour ago playing open hockey. I beat the guy spun around and then wham. My mouth went numb. I look like one of the guys from slapshot. Well sort of. There weren't any black hockey players in there. But you get the idea.. What should I expect when I see the dentist? Is it going to take a long time to replace the tooth. How expensive is it going to be?
I have a permanent bridge for my lower right teeth that was from playing. Some guy was hit by my teammate and the guy who was hit lost his balance and his stick ended up hitting me square in the mouth. I also has 20 stitches inside my mouth as well. I have broken a couple teeth that were replace with crowns as well so i guess in total i have a ton of time in the dentists chair from hockey. My friend lost a testicle from a slapshot so i say i got the best of the two.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
  #27
JustinW
Registered User
 
JustinW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Thing is the nerves could die at any time maybe not now but could be a month or it could be a couple of years. I got lucky and dodged it so far a couple of my teammates had teeth knocked out this summer now we all rock mouth guards. One guy got it bad though there was a freak accident where two guys on the same team crashed into each other as one guy was shooting and when that happened he swung at my friends face so he had to get stitches and a few root canals.

JustinW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
  #28
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
That is pretty much what I have. I still have some of the tooth. But most is gone so there is a huge gap between the teeth.lol. I am planning on getting the temporary crown. Do you have to take the crown out when you eat?
You shouldn't. I have had to have one of the crowns replaced about 10 years after I had it put in. Other than that really no issues from them. I also didn't have a root canal. I had a little tooth left but the nerves were very exposed and they have never died and it's been 25 years now.
I'm guessing that you didn't keep playing afterwards since it was only at open hockey? Mine was the first shift of the game so I wasn't very tired and I kept playing and tried to breath through my nose. Every time I would breath that cold air through through my mouth across those exposed nerves my vision would get really cloudy and dark and I got kinda loopy. I went to the wrong bench a couple of times. When I came off the ice after shifts my coach wouldn't let me go back out until I could answer questions correctly. (Yes it was a long time ago when nobody knew better. We played with concussions too back then. My son plays high school hockey and I certainly wouldn't let him do that) Live and Learn!!!

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:36 AM
  #29
Dutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Did the whole tooth and root get ripped out ? Cause if yes, you could have taken it and put it right back in. If you're lucky, the root will catch on and you'll save a ton of money (without switching to Geico).

I wish I would have known that when I lost three to a slapshot.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
  #30
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,047
vCash: 500
Did you put your tooth underneath your pillow?

It doesn't matter where they come from, but what does she do with them?

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
  #31
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Show View Post
Always wear a mouthgaurd. I took a puck right in the mouth from a guy that was trying to ice the puck. My mouth went numb, took five stitches to my lower lip and my mouthgaurd ended up in the goalies net lol. I did not loose any teeth though. When I saw the dentist the next day he said had it not been for that mouthgaurd I would be minus about three teeth.

..... Get a mouthgaurd!!
I lost 4 front teeth while wearing a mouthguard, a wristshot rode up a Dman's shaft while I was at the top of the crease. It is NO guarantee.

I remember an interview with Gord Kluzak who played D for the Bruins where he and Ray Bourque were laughing because Gord took his mouthguard out and he had 6 broken teeth still in it.

You playing hockey = you will be injured eventually.

All you can do is minimize .... I'll also argue that a cage can lead to a jaw injury one would not have had otherwise. The cage will protect from pucks, sticks etc but not much can be done when it sits on a chinrest in a collision.

I remember a guy who was even with the goal line in warmups and I cranked a slapshot off the crossbar which angled and hit him squarely in the face, he had a full cage and just go a headache and a stiff neck. It came in useful in that situation.

Someone could get hit behind the ear at the base of the skull and die.

It's hockey and anything can happen so one should accept that before playing the sport or just quit.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
  #32
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I lost 4 front teeth while wearing a mouthguard, a wristshot rode up a Dman's shaft while I was at the top of the crease. It is NO guarantee.

I remember an interview with Gord Kluzak who played D for the Bruins where he and Ray Bourque were laughing because Gord took his mouthguard out and he had 6 broken teeth still in it.

You playing hockey = you will be injured eventually.

All you can do is minimize .... I'll also argue that a cage can lead to a jaw injury one would not have had otherwise. The cage will protect from pucks, sticks etc but not much can be done when it sits on a chinrest in a collision.

I remember a guy who was even with the goal line in warmups and I cranked a slapshot off the crossbar which angled and hit him squarely in the face, he had a full cage and just go a headache and a stiff neck. It came in useful in that situation.

Someone could get hit behind the ear at the base of the skull and die.

It's hockey and anything can happen so one should accept that before playing the sport or just quit.
Damn right....I have had 2 shoulder surgeries (Torn Labrum in each shoulder), broke my hand in a fight and teeth knocked out.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
  #33
luciousharris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brentwood,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Did the whole tooth and root get ripped out ? Cause if yes, you could have taken it and put it right back in. If you're lucky, the root will catch on and you'll save a ton of money (without switching to Geico).

I wish I would have known that when I lost three to a slapshot.
No. Most of it though. I don't have the complete pirate look. Some of it is still left. Not much pain after three days. I am happy about that.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:21 PM
  #34
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
'Replacing' a tooth is actually pretty expensive depending if you want it to be permanent. I had to get 3 implants done due to an accident, and each tooth runs around $2,000 - 3,000 (this included extracting the teeth however). Implants are generally not covered under insurance since they consider it more cosmetic. I believe a bridge is covered however.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 04:24 PM
  #35
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
'Replacing' a tooth is actually pretty expensive depending if you want it to be permanent. I had to get 3 implants done due to an accident, and each tooth runs around $2,000 - 3,000 (this included extracting the teeth however). Implants are generally not covered under insurance since they consider it more cosmetic. I believe a bridge is covered however.
It is under my benefits.

Those prices seem abit steep (not saying thats not what you paid), i didnt get any of my teeth "permanently" replaced but i remember talking numbers and i think it was about 2000ish total.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:03 PM
  #36
qwertyaas
LGR@
 
qwertyaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
It is under my benefits.

Those prices seem abit steep (not saying thats not what you paid), i didnt get any of my teeth "permanently" replaced but i remember talking numbers and i think it was about 2000ish total.
Were you referring to implants? I think they generally cost anywhere from $1,000 - 3,000 (I did write $2,000 - 3,000 before but you're right, it can be done for less money) depending on the location (hospital vs. private practice), the crown itself and if you need extractions as well (which I did). Additionally, insurance may cover part of the cost, but as for the actual implant work itself, I don't think they do.

Looking back now, I regret not having a 'hockey picture' taken while missing my three teeth. And they say my implants are stronger then real teeth!

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:43 AM
  #37
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
So let's see, $100 for a cage, $1000 for a crown........hmm, must be a message in there somewhere???

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
  #38
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
So let's see, $100 for a cage, $1000 for a crown........hmm, must be a message in there somewhere???

Is it you can still break your teeth with a cage? hmmmmm

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:36 PM
  #39
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Were you referring to implants? I think they generally cost anywhere from $1,000 - 3,000 (I did write $2,000 - 3,000 before but you're right, it can be done for less money) depending on the location (hospital vs. private practice), the crown itself and if you need extractions as well (which I did). Additionally, insurance may cover part of the cost, but as for the actual implant work itself, I don't think they do.

Looking back now, I regret not having a 'hockey picture' taken while missing my three teeth. And they say my implants are stronger then real teeth!
Yah, i was 99% sure i was going to get a bridge anyway, but looked into perm replacments and i think (not 100% sure) that it was going to be 2000ish for three.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:24 PM
  #40
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Is it you can still break your teeth with a cage? hmmmmm
See, this from someone who doesn't wear a cage.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
  #41
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Can you still lose teeth with a cage on? Yes. Is a high stick going to do it? No. Is a puck going to do it? No. If you are free facing it or wearing a visor, will you lose teeth from a stick or a puck? Yes. Any hit that would cause someone to lose teeth wearing a cage would probably require some sort of reconstructive surgery to the nose or mouth without one. There can always be examples to the contrary but without a doubt, wearing a cage is the most surefire way to prevent facial injury playing hockey.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:52 PM
  #42
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billj41 View Post
Can you still lose teeth with a cage on? Yes. Is a high stick going to do it? No. Is a puck going to do it? No. If you are free facing it or wearing a visor, will you lose teeth from a stick or a puck? Yes. Any hit that would cause someone to lose teeth wearing a cage would probably require some sort of reconstructive surgery to the nose or mouth without one. There can always be examples to the contrary but without a doubt, wearing a cage is the most surefire way to prevent facial injury playing hockey.
No one is disputing that

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
  #43
Tomahawk214
i'm not even mad
 
Tomahawk214's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Davis, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
psh, I know a guy in Michigan who has two broken teeth and he superglues them on, and then pops them out when he eats, and then just glues em right back in after hes done. Its the craziest **** ever, and the teeth are crooked as hell when he puts them back in, but man is it awesome.

Tomahawk214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:14 AM
  #44
luciousharris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brentwood,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
I am here in finland, and the team I am with just took me to the dentist. It seems like a dodged a bullet. Except for the chipped tooth,everything else was ok. No damage to the root or anything. So they just put a cover over the remaining part of the tooth that I had. Only £90.00. Not bad.... my speech was a little messed up with that gap that I had. It is good to be able to talk normal again. lol.

luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.