HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 - New York Rangers @ New Jersey Devils | 7:00pm Versus (HD)

Old
10-06-2009, 09:19 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Loved it when we brought Marty to tears in 1994. He is so over-rated, any average goalie can win consistantly over their career when your defense only allowed like 20 shots a game, and about like 3 quality per game!!!!!
This is the worst post I've seen on here. I hate Devils, hate Brodeur but no one can deny that Marty is 1 of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. The only goalie I would put above Marty is Roy.

Yeah Brodeur is average and gets alot of help from that defense.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
darko

Quote:
Never said he was Average, I said an Average goalie would have just almost as much success. But he is not as great as people like to believe he is also.
Yes average goaltenders also can easily win Olympic Gold, 3 Stanley Cups and 4 Vezinas. Please stop.

Old
10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
This is the worst post I've seen on here. I hate Devils, hate Brodeur but no one can deny that Marty is 1 of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. The only goalie I would put above Marty is Roy.

Hasek Says hello.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
Hasek Says hello.
Not sure I would put him above Marty. You can go either way on Dominator. Same could probably be said for Terry Sawchuk as well.

I would put Marty at 2 and Hasek at 3 though.

Old
10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
Never said he was Average, I said an Average goalie would have just almost as much success. But he is not as great as people like to believe he is also.
Yes he is.

I hate Brodeur too, but we have to take the Ranger colored glasses off. He's one of the best of all time.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:35 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Not sure I would put him above Marty. You can go either way on Dominator. Same could probably be said for Terry Sawchuk as well.

I would put Marty at 2 and Hasek at 3 though.
His Ahole attitude and piss poor sportsmanship alone can put sawchuk and hasek infront.

Have you ever seen such a classless "professional athlete future hall of famer" ? on top of that he's already known as a cheater for cheating on his wife with his sister in-law!

Old
10-06-2009, 11:37 PM
NYR Viper

For his time playing Ken Dryden was amazing.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
His Ahole attitude and piss poor sportsmanship alone can put sawchuk and hasek infront.

Have you ever seen such a classless "professional athlete future hall of famer" ? on top of that he's already known as a cheater for cheating on his wife with his sister in-law!
Yes, let's determine the best goaltender of all time based on personality and marital fidelity. Roy was an a-hole too, and a huge sore loser. But he didn't play for your rival team, so I guess it doesn't count there.

As for your question, as much as I hate Brodeur (and I hate him more than just about any professional athlete), I have seen much more classless "professional athlete future hall of famers." Do the names Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Michael Irvin, Charles Barkley, etc. mean anything to you?

Last edited by clmetsfan: 10-06-2009 at 11:47 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Yes, let's determine the best goaltender of all time based on personality and marital fidelity. Roy was an a-hole too, and a huge sore loser. But he didn't play for your rival team, so I guess it doesn't count there.

As for your question, as much as I hate Brodeur (and I hate him more than just about any professional athlete), I have seen much more classless "professional athlete future hall of famers." Do the names Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Michael Irvin, Charles Barkley, etc. mean anything to you?
This site is great if you are a stat nut....

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...-rages-on.html

that article in particular is a good one.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

back on topic though...after watching the game, i have come to the conclusion that a lot of our apparent stupidity and mistakes yesterday were a result of some pretty crappy ice. i saw a lot of screwups that happened because of bouncing pucks. For a team like us, that plays an up tempo game, crappy ice is a big problem.

Old
10-07-2009, 12:53 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post

Did i say i voted roy over him though? no i did not.
I didn't say broduer was garbage in goaltending either,but my opinion on him as a person is completly diffrent.Thus because of that i would vote HASEK over him with no second thought.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I didn't say broduer was garbage in goaltending either,but my opinion on him as a person is completly diffrent.Thus because of that i would vote HASEK over him with no second thought.
I agree. Hasek is, imho, the greatest goalie of all time. Id go Patrick Roy 2nd.

not sure after that.

Old
10-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Levitate

Hasek was probably better than anyone in terms of skill, but he wasn't really in the situation to win all the accolades that other goalies did (bunches of cups, etc)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Loved it when we brought Marty to tears in 1994. He is so over-rated, any average goalie can win consistantly over their career when your defense only allowed like 20 shots a game, and about like 3 quality per game!!!!!
Quote:

Wouldn't say its this worst post ever. No doubt Brodeur is one of the greatest goalies ever but he isn't the best. Look at what the Devils did for Scott Clemenson last year.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:31 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
Quote:
Do you know him personally or only from what you've seen/read in the media?

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Are you saying that his public persona in the media means nothing? I've heard people say he is really nice in "real" life, but isn't that kind of tainted by some of the not-so-nice things he says to reporters? So which one is the real Marty?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:20 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Are you saying that his public persona in the media means nothing? I've heard people say he is really nice in "real" life, but isn't that kind of tainted by some of the not-so-nice things he says to reporters? So which one is the real Marty?
What "not-so-nice" things has he said to reporters?

All I'm saying is that just because athletes, actors, etc are in the spotlight, doesn't mean they aren't human.

Just throwing this out there...people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Old
10-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Shadowtron

He's one of the best goaltenders to have ever put on the pads. End of story. Whether you rank him ahead of or behind Roy/Hasek/etc....his place in the annals of goaltending history is cemented. What's funny is that the anti-Broduer crowd crying about his Devils-padded stats are the same people who predict the end of days for the Devils once Marty is gone. So the team responsible for making Marty the Parlor Trick is also incapable of survivng without him? I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I know contradiction when I smell it.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
He's one of the best goaltenders to have ever put on the pads. End of story. Whether you rank him ahead of or behind Roy/Hasek/etc....his place in the annals of goaltending history is cemented. What's funny is that the anti-Broduer crowd crying about his Devils-padded stats are the same people who predict the end of days for the Devils once Marty is gone. So the team responsible for making Marty the Parlor Trick is also incapable of survivng without him? I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I know contradiction when I smell it.
This doesn't really apply anymore imo. While Brodeur did some really good things in his prime, he is just not as good any more despite his recent Vezina wins. He is still a top 5 goalie, but the past few seasons have shown us that he can't carry a team all by himself anymore. Heck, I would put Parise in front of him in terms of most important player on that team right now.

Old
10-07-2009, 09:17 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
Where there's smoke, there's fire, CJ.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:24 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Brodeur is a great goaltender, as much as I dislike him.

And I have heard some things about him, other than the media stories. Nothing incriminating or anything even close to that whole affair ordeal, of course... more so about his general attitude. He is not well liked by some of his ex-teammates (granted, not everyone gets along).

Anyways... missed the entire 2nd period of this game cause I was in class. Saw the 1st and 3rd though. Damn internet streams suck... DirecTV better get on this Versus situation.

KotsyJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
clmetsfan

Of course Brodeur is a a-hole, and we all probably see him as a bigger one than he really is because (and I know no one likes to admit this) we have an inherent bias against the dude.

Again, most people on here agree that Roy is the greatest goaltender of all time ahead of Marty, but I don't see anyone complaining that he was a prima donna and a nutjob.

Imagine how this board would blow up if Brodeur ever publicly fought with his coach and demanded a trade. Or even better, if he coaches his son after he retires and urges him to go assault the other goalie in the middle of a brawl.

Seriously people, I'm all for laying the hate on anyone wearing a Devils sweater, but at least try to have a modicum of objectivity when you do it.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:35 AM
ThirdEye

By the way, the fact that he has never won an MVP award of any kind is what ultimately discourages me from putting him ahead of Roy and Hasek on the all-time list.

Yeah, I know those awards are subjective on some level, but you'd think with his career he'd had won at least one.

Old
10-07-2009, 09:38 AM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Where there's smoke, there's fire, CJ.
I just had to ask the question Jon!

Old
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
This doesn't really apply anymore imo. While Brodeur did some really good things in his prime, he is just not as good any more despite his recent Vezina wins. He is still a top 5 goalie, but the past few seasons have shown us that he can't carry a team all by himself anymore. Heck, I would put Parise in front of him in terms of most important player on that team right now.
Just thought it was a funny contradiction, whether it was applicable or not. It was like with the Rangers and the '94 Cup. So many people accused the team of "buying a championship", wearing Oiler's East jerseys, or Jerseys with half a Ranger logo sewn to half an oiler logo. But then when the PO drought started these same people claimed a Cup couldn't be bought. Fan opinion is written in water. Here one minute gone the next.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote