HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

San Jose Sharks @ Los Angeles Kings 10/06/09

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2009, 01:07 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
Williams was very good tonight. It's the little things he does that makes him valuable.

Brown will come along. A sure sign of maturity was his position and determination on the Smyth goal. Just being there and battling shows progress. BTW, I think he's still hurt because he's not throwing his weight around as much.
williams was certainly better tonight, and obviously the top line is singing at the moment. however, he does not look like a 30-goal scorer at all.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:07 AM
br3ds0x

Just back from the game. Forgot how much fun they are
Don't remember too much about the game right now..but from what I do Simmonds really stood out to me in the first period or so. He seemed to be everywhere.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:08 AM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
williams was certainly better tonight, and obviously the top line is singing at the moment. however, he does not look like a 30-goal scorer at all.
Agreed. I don't think 30 is in his future, but he could get 20 and ton of helpers with the two guys he's playing with.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:10 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Is it just me, or did Frolov look absolutely terrible out there tonight? He seemed slower than ever and just didn't get to any loose pucks. He seemed very lackadaisical out there.
It is just you out there on that lonely island.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:12 AM
ru4reals

I think our supposed third line is no longer our third line. I don't even know why they're considered our third line when it's obvious they're way better then our second line. Where is Stoll? And Brown needs to get better for us to go anywhere. Our captain has to step it up. It's still early but it would be great to have three rolling lines.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Is it just me, or did Frolov look absolutely terrible out there tonight? He seemed slower than ever and just didn't get to any loose pucks. He seemed very lackadaisical out there.
It's just you.

People who think Williams has been "bad" or "not a factor" need to have their heads checked. There's a lot more to hockey than just putting up points.

Kopitar should have had a hat trick again tonight. Dude needs to stop screwing the pooch when Smyth sets him up. I will say though that Kopitar has looked a lot more like the Kopitar of two years ago in the offensive zone in these first two games.

I don't know the final stats, but it felt like the team couldn't win a faceoff even if the opposing center had no arms. Kopitar in particular.

Doughty Still looks shaky/rusty/whatever you want to call it. He looked uncomfortable with the puck and unsure with his reads.

Dustin Brown...

Old
10-07-2009, 01:14 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Jarret Stoll is not very impressive.
73% in the circle, which includes winning the biggest faceoff of the game. the one that led to the game winning goal... and he battled for that one.

sheesh.

Old
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
This Brown and Williams hate is the stupidest **** I've ever read on this board.
C'mon Reaper, Dustin has been just awful over the past 50 or so games.

He tries to do too much, mishandles the puck, and ends up making poor decisions. I suspect that Murray's "40-goal" crap has him thinking way too much. He looks so uncomfortable with the puck, and his positioning is wildly inconsistent without it. He is a line chemistry killer right now - he did the same thing with Kopitar and O'Sullivan last year.

He needs to stop thinking so much, rely on his speed and physicality, and let the game come to him.

Old
wicker

Quote:
Another one of those moments where I question if I watched the same game as everyone else. Wow.

That was a fun game, for sure, but the PK needs to tighten up. Good thing that OD is back for the next game. Kopitar looks a lot more confident out there then he did last year, and that's that kind of thing that is absolutely necessary for this team right now.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:15 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
It is just you out there on that lonely island.
Concur, Frolov had another solid game. People will ***** and moan about him, but they won't notice who took the puck to the net and got the ball rolling on the first goal. If his jersey said Smyth instead of Frolov on the back all they would be talking about is what a great play that was.

That 4 minute penalty was just bad luck, and along with the terrible PK was the only thing that kept San Jose in the game.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:15 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Stoll isn't a playmaker and is better suited on the third line.
I disagree with this. Stoll is a shooting center and while it's usual to have the center being the playmaker, a shooting center can work. I hesitate to make the comparison, but the quickest thing that comes to mind is Kane and Toews. Kane is a playmaking winger and Toews is a shooting center, much like Purcell and Stoll. The line CAN work, I think, they just have to get used to each other, which they couldn't do in training camp since Stoll was hurt.

As for Williams, I think that while he is the most unnoticeable part of the 1st line, he has been doing a lot of good things. We notice Kopi because of all the things he does and Smyth for driving the net, but Williams has been doing a lot of little things making space for them both.

And for Frolov, resign or bust. He is a force every game whether he is scoring goals, driving the net, setting up plays, or just keeping puck possession away from the other team's top line.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:16 AM
mbar

LOL at this quote from Purcell:

``We played a lot against (Greiss) last year when he was in Worcester,'' Purcell said, referring to his time with Manchester of the American Hockey League last season. ``He has a lot of holes, for some reason. ... The ugly ones usually find a way in.''

http://kings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009020032

Old
10-07-2009, 01:19 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Concur, Frolov had another solid game. People will ***** and moan about him, but they won't notice who took the puck to the net and got the ball rolling on the first goal. If his jersey said Smyth instead of Frolov on the back all they would be talking about is what a great play that was.

That 4 minute penalty was just bad luck, and along with the terrible PK was the only thing that kept San Jose in the game.
Yeah Frolov had a solid game tonight his puck possession was really good. He'll never burn you with his skating but in the zone he's one of the best.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:20 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
C'mon Reaper, Dustin has been just awful over the past 50 or so games.

He tries to do too much, mishandles the puck, and ends up making poor decisions. I suspect that Murray's "40-goal" crap has him thinking way too much. He looks so uncomfortable with the puck, and his positioning is wildly inconsistent without it. He is a line chemistry killer right now - he did the same thing with Kopitar and O'Sullivan last year.

He needs to stop thinking so much, rely on his speed and physicality, and let the game come to him.
He's fine when he just gets to the front of the net, but for the life of me I don't know what he thinks he will accomplish by wristing the puck on goal from the blueline.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

``We played a lot against (Greiss) last year when he was in Worcester,'' Purcell said, referring to his time with Manchester of the American Hockey League last season. ``He has a lot of holes, for some reason. ... The ugly ones usually find a way in.''

Rofl. I was just coming here to post that. Only adds more evidence that Purcell was aiming to make that play from the start. Very interesting stuff. Good for Purcell, glad it worked out. For him and the team.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
10-07-2009, 01:23 AM
nikolai19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
73% in the circle, which includes winning the biggest faceoff of the game. the one that led to the game winning goal... and he battled for that one.

sheesh.
Retribution for dumping Vlasic which led to the 4th SJ goal.

Of course, he's good on the draw, other than that, he's unimpressive.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:24 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
It's just you.

- T

Old
10-07-2009, 01:25 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Yeah Frolov had a solid game tonight his puck possession was really good. He'll never burn you with his skating but in the zone he's one of the best.
he has been known to burn a few people from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He's fine when he just gets to the front of the net, but for the life of me I don't know what he thinks he will accomplish by wristing the puck on goal from the blueline.
he's got to simplify things and realize that he doesn't need to be spectacular out there and get back on track to being the solid player he can be.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Quattro

Williams, Stoll and (despite the cheapie) Purcell need to show up and earn their top 6 positions imho. Brown is fine. Doughty looked shaky again to me. JMFJ is looking really good. Props to Ivanans for the way he went after that Sharks guy after the cheap shot on Drewiskie. Dropped his gloves 20 yds before he got to the scrum. Quick was awesome in the 1st period. Penalty kill scares the hell out of me.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:26 AM
ru4reals

I know our powerplay is doing okay, but does anyone agree with me that we should take Williams off the point and put in Johnson? This is what I think our first unit should look like.

Smyth-Kopitar-Frolov

Doughty-Johnson.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:28 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Retribution for dumping Vlasic which led to the 4th SJ goal.

Of course, he's good on the draw, other than that, he's unimpressive.
possession is 9/10ths of the law or something.

very seldom does a goal get scored for when you don't have the puck, and 73% isn't just "good" or merely "impressive," it's downright 4-letter word all impressive.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
I know our powerplay is doing okay, but does anyone agree with me that we should take Williams off the point and put in Johnson? This is what I think our first unit should look like.

Smyth-Kopitar-Frolov

Doughty-Johnson.
Looks good, except for swap Frolov out with Brown or Williams. Keep Frolov with Zeus, use Stoll on the point, throw in the leftover from Brown or Williams on the second unit.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:37 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
he has been known to burn a few people from time to time.

he's got to simplify things and realize that he doesn't need to be spectacular out there and get back on track to being the solid player he can be.
Agree, has he even come close to drawing a penalty the first two games?

That's pretty indicative that he isn't taking the puck from the boards into the middle, or from behind the net to the front of the net with authority. And just once when he is coming down the wing one-on-one with a defenseman, I would like to see him stop it up and look for the trailer instead of trying the toe drag.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:38 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
I know our powerplay is doing okay,
OK?? It's at 50% right now.

Does it need to hit 90% for it to be "good"?

Old
10-07-2009, 01:41 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

Haha! I like it. He was looking for a hole the whole way.

Closed Thread