HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

San Jose Sharks @ Los Angeles Kings 10/06/09

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Here is the write-up on the post game. Click on the link to read more: http://www.lakingsnews.com

Quote:
Tonight's Los Angeles Kings v. San Jose Sharks game was a testament to the adage that the team which scores the first four goals of a game generally wins.

The Kings entered tonight's game after a very disappointing performance Saturday against the fiscally challenged Phoenix Coyotes. They looked to rebound and make a statement against the league's offensive powerhouse.
http://www.lakingsnews.com

Old
10-07-2009, 01:48 AM
RightKinger

My thoughts -

The Fro-Zus-Sims line is sick. Scored a goal and had more offensive chances than the line they were shutting down. Everyone on that line played great. Could be the best shutdown line in the league.

Ryan Smyth is amazing. He did everything tonight. He was creating chances all over the ice. Kopitar has 5 points in two games but he could have about 3 or 4 more goals with the passes he is getting from Smyth. The guy is everything I expected and much, much more. I'm already in love with guy. Mad props to Kopitar though for that last play to negate the icing.

I LOVED the response the hit on Drewiske got from the Kings. All of the Kings players bum rushed the Sharks after seeing Drewiske layed out in the corner. Ivanans was a beast against Shelley. His facial expression was fkin SCARY. He looked like he wanted to kill Shelley and clearly won the fight . He also took a straight shot to the chin in the beginning but didn't even flinch. Tonight I love Raitis.

Everybody looked better tonight. Lewis was good as was Richardson. Williams was much better and at least Purcell did not look completely invisible tonight.

Unfortunate high stick from Fro made the game closer than it should have been. PK was awful but SJ has some deadly weapons. Blake's butt is a WMD!

SO happy to see Clowe pissed at the end and the Kings finally beating SJ.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:54 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
LOL at this quote from Purcell:

``We played a lot against (Greiss) last year when he was in Worcester,'' Purcell said, referring to his time with Manchester of the American Hockey League last season. ``He has a lot of holes, for some reason. ... The ugly ones usually find a way in.''

http://kings.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2009020032
"**** happens."

-Thomas Greiss on allowing the game-winning fifth goal.

And yes, he really said that.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:01 AM
RightKinger

Harrold deserves to be on this team and whoever doesn't see that is an idiot. The guy is solid wherever he plays and does not complain at all. Very good partnered with Johnson tonight.

Purcell looks right at the goalie's pads before he shoots for the 5th goal and there wasn't anyone close to net so why would he just randomly throw it there unless he saw something. It was on purpose.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:06 AM
CycloneLaunch

I like how there was no hesitation to mix it up after the Drewiske hit

Old
10-07-2009, 02:08 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
I like how there was no hesitation to mix it up after the Drewiske hit
TM had quite a bit to say about that in the postgame KingsVision interview as well.

- T

Old
10-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I am bit concerned about Brown's play. He is not taking a break out there. You can tell he is trying to create plays but he looks like he just joined the team and has no idea where anyone is. There is no rhythm to his game. He skates into corners. Isn't where the puck is or where it's going to be. He looks like Armstrong out there.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:10 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
"**** happens."

-Thomas Greiss on allowing the game-winning fifth goal.

And yes, he really said that.
I think I found HIS nickname... "Scheiss"...

Old
10-07-2009, 02:14 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
Oh man, the Sharks broadcast studio team is laying into the Kings. The guy from the SF Chronicle talking about how the Sharks should have beat the Kings and says, and I quote, "...against a team that is going to struggle mightily to even be a playoff team this year."
Ross McKeon was the guy that said that. He actually knows a little hockey (does the Yahoo! Power Rankings) and I believe he predicted the Kings would finish 13th in the West. But then again, he is the Sharks beat writer.

Ray Ratto on the other hand, is pretty much a moron when it comes to hockey (he's a college football guy). He referred to Purcell as the Kings' 12th forward and said that guy shouldn't have even taken a shot. He also said there was no way that was a shot and if it was a shot, then it was a really bad one. Ratto's there to fill up space and act like he knows that is going on. Well, he actually does a really good job of filling up space.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:19 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
Is it just me, or did Frolov look absolutely terrible out there tonight? He seemed slower than ever and just didn't get to any loose pucks. He seemed very lackadaisical out there.
If you are referring to Frolov being less sure-footed than usual along the boards, it's because the Sharks were trying to match Doug Murray (who is a tower of ogre power) up against him all game. The Sharks have been doing this since last season. Even though Murray did stand Fro up several times in the game, Fro still got his chances.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:20 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

has Ivanans ever been interviewed? I wonder what his voice sounds like(wow that comes off weird) I'd love to see O'neal interview him haha.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
has Ivanans ever been interviewed? I wonder what his voice sounds like(wow that comes off weird) I'd love to see O'neal interview him haha.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:35 AM
ukyo

Wow, hardly any mention of what a strong game Johnson played?

1. Scored an amazing deflection goal.
2. Handled Heatley, Setoguchi, and Clowe all night. They had nothing along the boards at even-strength while he was on the ice.
3. Put Setoguchi on his ass IMMEDIATELY after Setoguchi hit Kopitar.

Best game he's played in a long time.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:36 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I am bit concerned about Brown's play. He is not taking a break out there. You can tell he is trying to create plays but he looks like he just joined the team and has no idea where anyone is. There is no rhythm to his game. He skates into corners. Isn't where the puck is or where it's going to be. He looks like Armstrong out there.
this has actually been the most consistent part of his game for the last 3 years. the numbers he produced under Marc Crawford's popgun offense gave way to this idea that Murray now has that he's a 40-goal scorer. all that plus the yoke of the captaincy has got this guy thinking he has to win the game on every shift.

Brown has got to leave that s*** at home and get back to playing hockey and excelling in the areas he's both natural and developed toward.

Old
10-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
Ross McKeon was the guy that said that. He actually knows a little hockey (does the Yahoo! Power Rankings) and I believe he predicted the Kings would finish 13th in the West. But then again, he is the Sharks beat writer.

Ray Ratto on the other hand, is pretty much a moron when it comes to hockey (he's a college football guy). He referred to Purcell as the Kings' 12th forward and said that guy shouldn't have even taken a shot. He also said there was no way that was a shot and if it was a shot, then it was a really bad one. Ratto's there to fill up space and act like he knows that is going on. Well, he actually does a really good job of filling up space.
So he and McKeon are pretty much doing the same job, cause like Ratto, Mckeon has no business covering a sport he know's nothing about.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:00 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
My thoughts -

The Fro-Zus-Sims line is sick. Scored a goal and had more offensive chances than the line they were shutting down. Everyone on that line played great. Could be the best shutdown line in the league.

Ryan Smyth is amazing. He did everything tonight. He was creating chances all over the ice. Kopitar has 5 points in two games but he could have about 3 or 4 more goals with the passes he is getting from Smyth. The guy is everything I expected and much, much more. I'm already in love with guy. Mad props to Kopitar though for that last play to negate the icing.

I LOVED the response the hit on Drewiske got from the Kings. All of the Kings players bum rushed the Sharks after seeing Drewiske layed out in the corner. Ivanans was a beast against Shelley. His facial expression was fkin SCARY. He looked like he wanted to kill Shelley and clearly won the fight . He also took a straight shot to the chin in the beginning but didn't even flinch. Tonight I love Raitis.

Everybody looked better tonight. Lewis was good as was Richardson. Williams was much better and at least Purcell did not look completely invisible tonight.

Unfortunate high stick from Fro made the game closer than it should have been. PK was awful but SJ has some deadly weapons. Blake's butt is a WMD!

SO happy to see Clowe pissed at the end and the Kings finally beating SJ.
I agree with everything you said here. Simmonds pots 20 goals this year. That one handed deke he pulled was nice. Smyth is opening so much ice for Kopitar. I would'nt be shocked to see 90 points out fo Kopitar this season.
Couldn't agree with you more about EVERYONE on the ice coming to Drewiske's aid. Ivanans made a B-line to Staubitz. Shelley took a beating and Ivanans looked super p****d. That's what this team was definately missing last season.
The Fro high stick was an unfortunate incident at the wrong time. Everything was going perfectly for the Kings up until that point.
All in all, not the way I wanted to see the Kings win (the 4 goals), but a win none the less. I'm loving the 1st and 3rd lines. The 2nd needs some time to gel. Now, let's see them put 4 or 5 wins in a row together.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:06 AM
RightKinger

Quote:

2. Handled Heatley, Setoguchi, and Clowe all night. They had nothing along the boards at even-strength while he was on the ice.

Agreed. I forgot to mention him.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:19 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
I agree with everything you said here. Simmonds pots 20 goals this year. That one handed deke he pulled was nice. Smyth is opening so much ice for Kopitar. I would'nt be shocked to see 90 points out fo Kopitar this season.
Couldn't agree with you more about EVERYONE on the ice coming to Drewiske's aid. Ivanans made a B-line to Staubitz. Shelley took a beating and Ivanans looked super p****d. That's what this team was definately missing last season.
The Fro high stick was an unfortunate incident at the wrong time. Everything was going perfectly for the Kings up until that point.
All in all, not the way I wanted to see the Kings win (the 4 goals), but a win none the less. I'm loving the 1st and 3rd lines. The 2nd needs some time to gel. Now, let's see them put 4 or 5 wins in a row together.
The second line didn't look that bad tonight. Much better than the first game but that second line center spot is easily the achilles heel for this team. Ivanans almost jumped over the ref trying to grab Staubitz.

Matt Greene looks very good to start this season. He is finishing checks with authority and is really trying to throw his weight around. He hasn't been that bad with the puck either.

Greene and Jack have provided the physicality and toughness from the back end. All we need now is OD and were set with the D pairings and the PK will improve. We also add another tough SOB to the lineup.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:19 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Simmonds > Brown, heard it here first.
Brown has 2 Points in 2 Games.................... can anyone tell me what's going on with you guys ???????
He plays on a line witout any chemistry and without a Center.
Let him play beside Kopitar and Smyth and he would have 5 points.

You guys should enjoy the ealy season instead of bashing people

Old
10-07-2009, 03:24 AM
ru4reals

Quote:

Yes definitely one of his better games. I have to agree. Lets hope he keeps it up for the rest of the year.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:24 AM
KingLB

I'll hit a couple of the big points in this thread.

1. Brown- he is never gonna look good until he gets a legitimate play maker to set him up, that's why he works with kopi. If purcell starts to improve his game then brown can hit 25 easy, if not he will be lucky to hit 20 cause bottom line is stoll is a 3rd line center with a good shot that is good at faceoffs, and those 2 combined leaves the line with a lack of creativity.

2. Williams- does a lot of little things you don't notice will put up a 3 pt nite soon and everyone will forget this discussion. As to moving him off the first pp unit(in favor of Johnson), you can't cause the second you do, that leaves the 2nd pp with no offensive dmen.

3. Simmonds- while he played well(and is my favorite player) I personally think he was the least effective player on the "third" line tonite. Also to the ppl clamoring for him on the first, that's crazy he is not the type of player that would work well with the first line, at this time he plays a lot more of the grinding, drive the net style of game.

4. Johnson- played very well tonite can see TM has allowed him to open his game up a bit more, and was attacking all nite looked good, only problem is one time he pinched and the forwards didn't seem to notice and it lead to a clear 2-1.

5 PK- while it was bad, 2 of the goals there was just no chance on, but seto's second was clearly on Quick, when the pass goes through the crease the goalie has got to get his stick on.

Old
10-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
I disagree with this. Stoll is a shooting center and while it's usual to have the center being the playmaker, a shooting center can work. I hesitate to make the comparison, but the quickest thing that comes to mind is Kane and Toews. Kane is a playmaking winger and Toews is a shooting center, much like Purcell and Stoll. The line CAN work, I think, they just have to get used to each other, which they couldn't do in training camp since Stoll was hurt.

As for Williams, I think that while he is the most unnoticeable part of the 1st line, he has been doing a lot of good things. We notice Kopi because of all the things he does and Smyth for driving the net, but Williams has been doing a lot of little things making space for them both.

And for Frolov, resign or bust. He is a force every game whether he is scoring goals, driving the net, setting up plays, or just keeping puck possession away from the other team's top line.

There is a little difference.... Toews is always in the right position to just shoot the puck into the net.
When was the last time you saw Stoll in a perfect shooting position ????
He just lacks of Hockey instinct

Old
10-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
1. Brown- he is never gonna look good until he gets a legitimate play maker to set him up, that's why he works with kopi.
In what drug induced fantasy has Kopitar/Brown "worked?"

Old
10-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Randart

Nice Game Team...

I used to pray we could beat the dang Sharks... Now this team that looked so sad and shell shocked the game before, has come through big time! Grats to our LA Kings! I am dang proud of them, a team victory and they played like a team!

Guys standing up for each other and only had to yell at Petey Harold once in the game! Something like bite his knee caps Petey... LOL He did play a good game too! Amazing! I agree with your observations on all points guys great thread here!

Oh and Bobby Scribe's article was good too... (Zadster)!

When Danny Heatly winds up for a Slapper its sure a loud quiet that happens... No way Quicker wanted any part of that shot... LOL

Butt good to see Quick have a good game too... yeah they got 4 goals but all were good goals for them. Only one I would even contest is Blake got to sit in front of our goalie an not one defenseman hit him? Why is he revered still by JJ and our young boys? Hey guys knock him on his surf knotted butt please!

Old
10-07-2009, 04:22 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
In what drug induced fantasy has Kopitar/Brown "worked?"
When sully/kopi/brown was our first line?

Closed Thread