HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs play solid but lose 4-3 in Calgary

Old
10-07-2009, 01:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
I thought the 4th line was okay other than stewart. He is the most likely to sit if metro is back imo.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Ginu

I love Martin's reaction. The more pissed he is, the more he's demonstrating that these types of mishaps aren't going to be tolerated. This is how the best teams in the league become the best teams. It starts with leadership at the top and an obsession with winning and cutting out all the little mistakes. You just know that he'll be addressing these things in practice and won't be as tolerant as Carbonneau. Man, how refreshing it is to actually have an experienced coach! You can just tell by our work ethic on the ice. Love it!

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:30 AM
HabuseMoi

could be worst, like if we were the Leafs

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Blood On The Ice

Best performance of the year so far. Still, Gill looked like Sheldon Souray when he was a early Habs. Not good....

But Plekanec played great so was the Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta trio when they played together during the game. So much scoring chances it was insane.

Halak played pretty good as well.

Too bad Andrei K won't put 35+ goals in net for us this year. Or never ever.
I tend to call the guy a bust. No joke.

I think we will have our share of highlights with Gomez/Cammy/Gionta so i'm pretty good I must say.

I still believe

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:47 AM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Thread title is misleading. The Habs work ethic was solid, but their play was anything but solid save for the final 10 minutes of the 3rd period.

Habs were outplayed for large chunks of this game and all 4 lines had a lot of trouble in our zone with breakouts, clearing attempts and covering Flames forwards. In general I'd say the work ethic was there, but there wasn't a lot of cohesion or "solid play" shown tonight. Most goals were scored against us because the Flames had a lot of possession in our zone and got pucks to the net. This happened against every line, it just so happened that the bounces went against our 4th line.

Individually I liked what Andrei brought in the 3rd period. He needs to keep doing that; working and moving his legs will make the game some much easier for him. Plekanec has been playing well this year. He's not afraid to mix it up in the corners and along the boards, which is great to see.

3rd line worked hard but other than the Lats goal they created very little offence, they couldn't establish much of a forecheck and their defensive play wasn't the best. But they were physical along the boards and they were working hard so that's always a positive. I like this line a lot and like I said they worked hard, but again I wouldn't really say played all that "solid."

4th line I'm willing to cut some slack. They started out very strong but as the game wore on they were less and less effective. People need to ease up on Chipchura. He showed some good things and you can't blame Nystrom's hattrick on him, though it is true his statline isn't pretty. Very good fight early on and offensively he made some good plays.

Laraque had some good hits but seemed to tire as the game wore on. Stewart, again I think people need to ease up. He certainly wasn't the reason we lost and if he can keep his game simple and work hard he's solid guy to have on your 4th line.
You definately were not watching the same game as I did. The transition was fast as hell. If we played like this against Buffalo last Saturday, this would've been a slaughter. The first line was the best for both teams IMO (Gionta should've buried one on Cammy's rebound and Cammy himself should've scored on the early whistle). The third line played a great game and one again, Halak didn't have to take a lot of rebounds. That's why I'm saying Halak didn't play a great game. I can't remember any "Et quel arręt de Halak!" in the game. He made an ok job, but he could've stopped 2 of the 4 Flames goals.

Our defense is underrated. In three games, I have seen very few rebounds conceeded in front of the net, and that's where a goalie like Price will have a chance to have a great season. The opponents take a lot of shots, but these are very low average shots, and while we're getting stuck in our zone sometimes, I have yet to see an opponent get in the slot with the puck.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:58 AM
TroyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Completely agree on that. I was soooo pissed when Gomez got crosschecked in the face. I was already dreaming of a powerplay montreal with Bouwmeester in the penalty box.

Come on .... 1 penalty in 1 game.... its impossible
When you see a game earlier in one day with 17 penalties called (PHI/WSH) and then one game a couple hours later with 1 penalty called the entire game you have to know that the games are NOT being called the same, at all. The inconsistency is frustrating as a fan, and I can imagine is much more frustrating for the players trying to understand what is and is not a call from referee to referee... ridiculous, wondering, will it be 17 penalties tonight or 1?

Ah well. It goes both ways generally so I try not to complain too much about it...

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:47 AM
ashtraygirl

someone at TSN messed up... under the video player, the blurb about tonight's game reads: "Mike Cammalleri scored in his return to Calgary but it was Eric Nystrom who stole the show."

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Didn't get to watch the game last night. Was Chipchura and the 4th line as bad as their -3? How about Halak?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:41 AM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Didn't get to watch the game last night. Was Chipchura and the 4th line as bad as their -3? How about Halak?
I know one goal was a miss coverage from Chipchura. An other one was a very very bad pass reception by Stewart from a good pass by Chipchura. They did not play horribly but their mistakes were costly.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Megaforce

Didn't watch the whole game but the Gomez goal was amazing.

Stewart has got to stand near the point for the clearing pass, twice he screwed that up.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtraygirl View Post
someone at TSN messed up... under the video player, the blurb about tonight's game reads: "Mike Cammalleri scored in his return to Calgary but it was Eric Nystrom who stole the show."
Cammalleri actually did score, but the ref blew the whistle before it crossed the line for no reason.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:23 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I love Martin's reaction. The more pissed he is, the more he's demonstrating that these types of mishaps aren't going to be tolerated. This is how the best teams in the league become the best teams. It starts with leadership at the top and an obsession with winning and cutting out all the little mistakes. You just know that he'll be addressing these things in practice and won't be as tolerant as Carbonneau. Man, how refreshing it is to actually have an experienced coach! You can just tell by our work ethic on the ice. Love it!
Where did you see he got pissed off?

Best performance of the year, and it's only 3 games in!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
You definately were not watching the same game as I did. The transition was fast as hell. If we played like this against Buffalo last Saturday, this would've been a slaughter. The first line was the best for both teams IMO (Gionta should've buried one on Cammy's rebound and Cammy himself should've scored on the early whistle). The third line played a great game and one again, Halak didn't have to take a lot of rebounds. That's why I'm saying Halak didn't play a great game. I can't remember any "Et quel arręt de Halak!" in the game. He made an ok job, but he could've stopped 2 of the 4 Flames goals.

Our defense is underrated. In three games, I have seen very few rebounds conceeded in front of the net, and that's where a goalie like Price will have a chance to have a great season. The opponents take a lot of shots, but these are very low average shots, and while we're getting stuck in our zone sometimes, I have yet to see an opponent get in the slot with the puck.
But i don't get why our defensemen are always in the vision of our goalie AND try to stop the puck with their stick ONLY to deflect it and score themself.

Ie, Gorges's own goal.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-07-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Merge
la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Perezhogin
Nice thought...nice avatar.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Cammalleri actually did score, but the ref blew the whistle before it crossed the line for no reason.
Ref couldn't see the puck and he blew the whistle (which is what they do).
The puck also didn't go in since the defenseman stopped it before it went in.

The refs could have called more penalties both ways. I don't think they were bad at all. Inconsistent yes, but they're not the reason we lost.

Also, there is more to games than stats. Chipchura was a -3 but I was far from disappointed in his game. He made some nice plays along the boards and made some nice passes. He also looked much faster than he did in the past. People saying he had a brutal game are obviously just looking at his +/-.

As for Stewart, he missed a couple passes but I thought he looked decent out there. He was a lot faster than I remember too and made a couple nice hits.

I thought the first line was amazing. I couldn't believe the passes they were making on the rush. I'm hoping to see a lot more of this throughout the year.

Pleks was also great, but I don't get all these comments about Pleks finally having a great game. He's been solid since Day 1 (this year).
It was nice to see AKost playing better.

We do need a better 2nd line winger though. Pacs isn't ready. Maybee d'Ago? I also don't see him being quite ready yet.
As someone said, it would be really nice to have Perez with us right about now...

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't know if anybody else noticed but at one point late in the third the first lines was playing like crazy, making things happen and then a few line changes later they seemed all disorganised and kept screwing passes especially Cammy and Gionta. Gomez kept going like mad but it was like Cammy and Gionta were not there at all, kept fumbling with plays as if they were exausted and they didn't have more juice.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

Great game to watch at the dome last nite.

Notes from 11 rows behind Halak. (for 2 periods)

- Mara is a rock. I don't remember him making a single mistake, he was dominating guys in front of the net, making great decisions with the puck and doing very well in 1 on 1 situations.

- The smurf line is so fun to watch. They are dynamite. Gomez was absolutely flying last nite. Parting the red sea over and over again.

- Pleky is playing like his fake testicles are on fire.

- The more I watch our D without markov I think we will survive. They make simple plays to limit turnovers. And in Martin's system the forwards are right there to support the D.

- Weber looks NHL ready. He was consistently making a great first pass (missed a few at the most). Would have been nice to see an effin powerplay though.

- Stewie had a rough game. Actually had a rough shift. Other than that shift that led to a goal off of his turnover, he was doing his job.

- Martin is a breath of fresh air (product on the ice, not his post game interviews ) . He was making great coaching decisions ie) double shifting gomez line in 3rd, sending lapierre out for a key 3rd period faceoff, etc..

All in all a great game, and great atmosphere at the dome.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote