HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How will the lineup change when Avery returns?

View Poll Results: What happens when Avery returns?
Avery plays 4th line LW, Voros/Brashear sits depending on the opponent. 13 9.70%
Avery plays 4th line C, Boyle sits. 2 1.49%
Avery plays 3rd line C, Anisimov to 4th line, Boyle sits. 7 5.22%
Avery plays 3rd line C, Anisimov returns to HFD, no one sits. 1 0.75%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Higgins sits. 0 0%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Higgins to 4th line LW, Voros/Brashear sits. 2 1.49%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin to 3rd line RW, Kotalik sits. 4 2.99%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin to 3rd line RW, Kotalik to 4th line RW, Voros/Brashear sits. 20 14.93%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin sits. 24 17.91%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Lisin to 4th line LW, Voros/Brashear sits. 53 39.55%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Prospal to 3rd line C, Anisimov moves to 4th line, Boyle sits. 8 5.97%
Avery plays a top 3 line LW, Prospal to 3rd line C, Anisimov returns to HFD. 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I'm not sure who will come out, but I think Avery will be on the 3rd line, which may be great for anisimov to give him more space with the puck, and help that line score with anisimov's skills and shots and Avery crashing th enet and getting rebounds. That is what I think though!

hopefully we will find out on Thursday night!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:05 PM
CamachoNYR

vCash: 500
hopefully Voros sits, im sorry but I'm just not comfortable with him on the ice...hasn't impressed me since the the opening 4 games of last season

CamachoNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
See? This is what happens when you hype a relatively unproven player up to no end in the pre-season. You have become so invested in Enver Lisin that you are physically unable to admit that hes been pretty pedestrian...and that he, along with Anisimov, are the 2 glaring candidates to take a seat once Avery comes back.

Instead, you're advocating juggling the entire lineup (a lineup that has been pretty good besides the 3rd line that houses Anisimov and Lisin, mind you) just to find a way to keep him in the lineup. When you combine that with statements about how he had a nice pass or a good shot, it becomes kind of sad actually.

that statement was in response to your comment you made. perhaps you forgot.

i believe you were the one that brought up lisin not making nice passes and setting up plays "like dubinsky did" i believe was your example. you felt it
was warranted to mention his lack of doing those things as showing he wasnt "ready" yet when i mention what he does and is doing, you take me to task for it. really brb, you seem to have a superiority complex.

i have no reason to "admit that hes been pretty pedestrian" because those are your words, your own interpretation, your position, your jaundiced opinion and one that i do not share.

believe it or not brb, there are those who actually think lisin has played very well and see the positive in what hes done so far rather that accentuate the negative like you consistently do.

ill say it again, i would love to see enver lisin get time with dubi and gaby. i think that line could be electric.

remember, hes a new player to this organization. hes in a new city, with a new coach and teammates and hes done damn well so far. his talent is obvious. according to everyting i read, hes been a delight to be around and more than willing to be coached. everyone that meets him has the same opinion. hes a great kid with immense talent and hes done nothing to play his way out of this lineup.

as for "juggling the entire lineup" well im all for reworking the lines. were 2-1 so far but its not like weve been blowing teams out. i do not believe that prospal on line 1 is the best use of prospals talents. our "best puck distributor" should not be playing wing. especially playing along side or second best puck distributing centerman. line 2 needs work and line 3 hasnt done enough either so far either.

excuse me if what i wrote doesnt meet your approval or doesnt pass the brb test. feel free to attempt to realize that yours isnt the only opinion worth reading.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:41 AM
free0717

Voros should sit, Lisin will sit.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Voros should sit, Lisin will sit.
Is Avery even back next game?

Avery starts on the 4th line..........Voros sits.........as the game goes on if they want more D and energy then Avery gets bumped up and Lisin goes down on the wing

Torts does this all the time with MDZ, plays on the PP, 3rd line D minutes and in the 3rd he gets less shifts

it all depends on the situation but main thing is dress your best. Lisin can help on the PP, Voros is nothing more than a bad contract that once in a while shows some energy and hits people then loses a fight

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
that statement was in response to your comment you made. perhaps you forgot.

i believe you were the one that brought up lisin not making nice passes and setting up plays "like dubinsky did" i believe was your example. you felt it
was warranted to mention his lack of doing those things as showing he wasnt "ready" yet when i mention what he does and is doing, you take me to task for it. really brb, you seem to have a superiority complex.

i have no reason to "admit that hes been pretty pedestrian" because those are your words, your own interpretation, your position, your jaundiced opinion and one that i do not share.

believe it or not brb, there are those who actually think lisin has played very well and see the positive in what hes done so far rather that accentuate the negative like you consistently do.

ill say it again, i would love to see enver lisin get time with dubi and gaby. i think that line could be electric.

remember, hes a new player to this organization. hes in a new city, with a new coach and teammates and hes done damn well so far. his talent is obvious. according to everyting i read, hes been a delight to be around and more than willing to be coached. everyone that meets him has the same opinion. hes a great kid with immense talent and hes done nothing to play his way out of this lineup.

as for "juggling the entire lineup" well im all for reworking the lines. were 2-1 so far but its not like weve been blowing teams out. i do not believe that prospal on line 1 is the best use of prospals talents. our "best puck distributor" should not be playing wing. especially playing along side or second best puck distributing centerman. line 2 needs work and line 3 hasnt done enough either so far either.

excuse me if what i wrote doesnt meet your approval or doesnt pass the brb test. feel free to attempt to realize that yours isnt the only opinion worth reading.
Look, we can argue until we're blue in the face about this. The bottom line is you love Enver Lisin for whatever reason, and seemingly nothing is going to change that. Its my personal opinion that your judgment of Lisin's performance so far is HEAVILY clouded by the hype job you've invested yourself into. So much so that you must resort to the one nice pass or shot he makes per game. Its grasping for straws more than anything.

I think hes been rather pedestrian as I said before. I wouldnt rain down fire and brimstone if he remains in the lineup, but while you say hes done nothing to play his way out of the lineup, I say hes done nothing to distinguish himself as a regular top 9 player as of yet.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Is Avery even back next game?

Avery starts on the 4th line..........Voros sits.........as the game goes on if they want more D and energy then Avery gets bumped up and Lisin goes down on the wing

Torts does this all the time with MDZ, plays on the PP, 3rd line D minutes and in the 3rd he gets less shifts

it all depends on the situation but main thing is dress your best. Lisin can help on the PP, Voros is nothing more than a bad contract that once in a while shows some energy and hits people then loses a fight
Youre best at what exactly? Isnt it obvious by now that Torts wants a 4th line that can crash (play with "jam" as he likes to say)? Who fits that bill better? Voros or Lisin? The Brashear-Boyle-Voros line has been doing the 4th line job as well as can be expected.

Tortorella will not be bending over backwards to get Enver Lisin into the lineup.

Old
10-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Avery - Drury - Higgins
Callahan - Anisimov - Kotalik / Lisin
Brashear - Boyle - Lisin / Kotalik

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
IMO, I think they sit Lisin. They'll probably have a Lisin/Voros swith for when we play the more physical teams.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Youre best at what exactly? Isnt it obvious by now that Torts wants a 4th line that can crash (play with "jam" as he likes to say)? Who fits that bill better? Voros or Lisin? The Brashear-Boyle-Voros line has been doing the 4th line job as well as can be expected.

Tortorella will not be bending over backwards to get Enver Lisin into the lineup.
What's obvious to people without a personal vendetta, is that Lisin is going to play, and he's going to get PP time... that's whats obvious.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 10-07-2009 at 10:31 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Sean Avery ppracticing in noncontact jersey...hmmm
http://twitter.com/stevezipay

^^

Let the speculation begin!

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not much to speculate, IMO.

It's a knee injury.

They take a long time to come back from. They're like concussions, there is no time table for the injury. You have to be cautious with knee injuries.

Better to not let anything happen in practice.

Old
10-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Still "non-contact" eh? damn

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

team won 2 games in a row. torts may not be in a hurry to add avery and sit a player whos played all 3 games so far.

im sure torts is saying why rush him if we dont need to.

one more thing to ponder, what if we win thursday and avery doesnt play but hes healthy for next game which isnt till sunday...... and he doesnt dress.

what then?

that will really be interesting

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
What's obvious to people without a personal vendetta, is that Lisin is going to play, and he's going to get PP time... that's whats obvious.
The personal vendetta stuff is comical. I've said all pre-season that Lisin has been OK. I've described him as pedestrian so far in the regular season. Those are really vicious attacks if I've ever seen them!

Whats obvious is I have nothing invested in Enver Lisin whatsoever, and that allows me to look at his performance objectively. Whats even more obvious is why he only played half a season with Phoenix. Whats most obvious is that he is pretty much worthless if hes not contributing offensively.

Youre going to eat your words at various points this season unless Lisin starts consistently putting the puck in the net. If not when Avery comes back, then sometime in the near future.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:00 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
The personal vendetta stuff is comical. I've said all pre-season that Lisin has been OK. I've described him as pedestrian so far in the regular season. Those are really vicious attacks if I've ever seen them!

Whats obvious is I have nothing invested in Enver Lisin whatsoever, and that allows me to look at his performance objectively. Whats even more obvious is why he only played half a season with Phoenix. Whats most obvious is that he is pretty much worthless if hes not contributing offensively.

Youre going to eat your words at various points this season unless Lisin starts consistently putting the puck in the net. If not when Avery comes back, then sometime in the near future.
You have invested an awful lot of your time on the boards posting about him.

Please, i'm not eating any words. I could care less who plays, as long as the RANGERS win games.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
team won 2 games in a row. torts may not be in a hurry to add avery and sit a player whos played all 3 games so far.

im sure torts is saying why rush him if we dont need to.

one more thing to ponder, what if we win thursday and avery doesnt play but hes healthy for next game which isnt till sunday...... and he doesnt dress.

what then?

that will really be interesting
What if the world ends? Both have as much chance of happening.

When Avery is healthy, he'll play. Simple as that. Whether it be Lisin or Voros not playing, that remains to be seen.

I don't even worship Avery like some of the others but it's clear to a blind man that he helps this team.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You have invested an awful lot of your time on the boards posting about him.

Please, i'm not eating any words. I could care less who plays, as long as the RANGERS win games.
We're 3 games into the season, and Lisin is a starting roster tweener. Of course hes going to get more attention than most.

Well, we both agree with the bolded part at least.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:37 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Can't break up the first line, they're pretty hot. 2nd line has been ok. Kotalik stays in the lineup if not only so that he can rip bombs from the point on the powerplay. I would also like to see Kotalik playing with Drury. That boils down to one of Lisin/Voros taking a seat. Brashear can also sit if the other team doesn't have any true heavy-weights playing. Boyle is the only natural center of the bunch and has looked good playing in that 4th line role. Personally, I would sit Lisin as I think he is useless on the 4th line. Would he be able to cycle effectively with that group?

Prospal - Dubi - Gabby
Higgins - Drury - Kotalik
Avery - Anisimov - Cally
Voros - Boyle - Brashear

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Sean Avery rules himself out of Thursday's #NYRangers game at Washington. Says barring anything unforeseen, he'll play Sunday vs. #Ducks.
http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by amendandrevise View Post
A stay of execution for Mr. Lisin.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Black Tank

Lisin gets another chance to show that it's his spot, but he needs to be prominent against the Caps. It's clear from the first three games that the third line is the one that is MIA and that has to change Thursday.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Lisin gets another chance to show that it's his spot, but he needs to be prominent against the Caps. It's clear from the first three games that the third line is the one that is MIA and that has to change Thursday.
Agreed, the third line has felt pretty invisible, at least in comparison to the other 3, and subbing in Avery for Lisin would be a clear way to shake that up.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Prospal - Dubinsky - Gaborik
Avery - Drury - Higgins
Callahan - Anisimov - Kotalik / Lisin
Brashear - Boyle - Lisin / Kotalik
I see this as the most likely scenario. The 1st line is the only line that appears to be a productive and functional line so far. I think it's obvious that the 2nd and 3rd lines could use some jumbling and the trickle down effect is that either kotalik or lisin ends up on the 4th line. This team has one too many 2nd/3rd line forwards.

I think that 3rd line looks better for anisimov and the 2nd line looks like a frustrating line to play against. 4th line looks like a 4th line with a top 9 winger stuck on it. Maybe kotalik wouldn't mind the 4th line if he's on the 1st pp unit and he's one of the first three shootout guys. That would be an expensive 4th liner though...

Whatever we see on Thursday- nothing is set in stone.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Agreed, the third line has felt pretty invisible, at least in comparison to the other 3, and subbing in Avery for Lisin would be a clear way to shake that up.
Yup.

Look, I don't care if some people here think Lisin is the second coming of Wayne Gretzky or if some people think Lisin is lucky to even have a spot on the lineup.

But an objective observer will tell you that the 3rd line is the weakest line. It regularly gets pinned in its own zone and hasn't generated much offense. The fact that Torts started to use the 4th line over the 3rd line in the 3rd period of the Devils game is a glaring indictment that the 3rd line isn't working.

So something must be shaken up, whether it be Lisin, Anisimov, or Kotalik.
Kotalik played well against the Devs and I think his spot in the top 9 is cemented for now.
Anisimov can be moved down to 4th line C if Prospal switches back to center. However, I highly doubt Torts does since Prospal-Dubi-Gaborik is flying on all cylinders and is far and away our best line.
That leaves Lisin, and Avery happens to play the same positition. It's unfortunate, but I think Lisin will be a victim of the numbers game.

The 3rd line desperately needs some sort of spark, and Avery can provide it. He brings grit and forechecking ability that will make the 3rd line tougher to play against.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote