HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Betts/Parent could return this weekend (update, post #172)

Old
10-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I'm just pissed because I'm going to the game Thursday and I wanted to see JVR play. Now that most likely won't happen. And if he's not going to play, I was hoping they'd call up Maroon and give him a shot. I don't care about stinking Asham and Cote.
First of all I do not think Asham stinks. Second, if Asham was in the line up maybe he would knock Jurcina's block off for injuring JVR. No one on 3rd line did anything and I am not talking about Giroux

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 09:06 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If they are both out for tomorrow but JVR is expected back soon:

Powe Giroux Asham
Carcillo Lappy Cote

If JVR is out a week or more
Maroon Giroux Powe
Carcillo Lappy Asham

or

Powe Giroux Lappy
Carcillo Kalinsky Asham

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Talbetts

I say stack em:

Gagne - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
Carcillo - Lappy - Pyorala
Cote - Powe - Asham

or:

Harter - Carter - Briere
Gagne - Richards - Pyorala
Maroon - Giroux - Lappy
Carcillo - Powe - Asham

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:11 AM
bpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27272727 View Post
I say stack em:

Gagne - Richards - Giroux
Carcillo - Lappy - Pyorala
Cote - Powe - Asham

or:

Harter - Carter - Briere
Maroon - Giroux - Lappy
Carcillo - Powe - Asham
Do you think Harter will get 60 points playing with Carter and Briere? He's still available in my Fantasy League.

bpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:21 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
The season has started now. One month won't be too bad. However, I can already tell we're gonna miss Betts.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpower View Post
Do you think Harter will get 60 points playing with Carter and Briere? He's still available in my Fantasy League.
Nice. Thanks.

He is a hybrid version of Hartnells grit and Carters skills. I would pick him up if I were you...hopefully it is a keeper league...best kept secret in the league.

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
First of all I do not think Asham stinks. Second, if Asham was in the line up maybe he would knock Jurcina's block off for injuring JVR. No one on 3rd line did anything and I am not talking about Giroux
Yes, because giving the Caps a PP was the way to go there...not like someone can't take a number and get him later on...which means pretty much anyone can do it.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
someone gets their bell run every single game. Are you going sit someone down for the game every time they get hit hard. guys come back to the bench seeing stars all the time, its part of the game.
Right, but when someone gets their "bell rung", you arn't supposed to send them right back out there. Ringing in the ears is one of the signs of a concussion. It doesn't nessessarily mean he has one, but they should be cautious at that point, not send him right back out there.

I'm not saying sit him, if he doesn't have a concussion that's greeat, just be careful. I'm surprised that Homer would say something that alarming.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes, because giving the Caps a PP was the way to go there...not like someone can't take a number and get him later on...which means pretty much anyone can do it.
I consider that a good penalty to take.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
I consider that a good penalty to take.
A 2 and 10 for a legal hit that was only bad because JVR put himself in an awkward position?

You're also ignoring that everyone and their mother knew who delivered the hit, there's no reason that Powe has to respond right that moment to the hit, and there's no reason that one of Carcillo or Lappy -- guys whose job is much more in line with what you're asking for -- could not have found him later.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Kaktus*

Per CSNFlyer Twitter...

No JVR at practice today. An update later.

Old
10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
DjsIzzy

Send a message via AIM to DjsIzzy
Quote:
A 2 and 10 for a legal hit that was only bad because JVR put himself in an awkward position?
Wasn't there a penalty on the play? Granted...that doesn't mean the hit was truly a bad hit. But if we were about to go on the PP then there is even more incentive to let the hit go and try to get him back later in the game, instead of ruining the PP chance.

DjsIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjsIzzy View Post
Wasn't there a penalty on the play? Granted...that doesn't mean the hit was truly a bad hit. But if we were about to go on the PP then there is even more incentive to let the hit go and try to get him back later in the game, instead of ruining the PP chance.
Yeah, for holding, not for the actual hit itself. Wasn't like he ran him or anything...he just interfered with him and then -- for some reason -- JVR stretched himself all out so he was in an awkward position and into the boards he went.

Old
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

JVR, welcome to the NHL. 3rd game and he gets flattened against the boards, I think he should sit a few games and rest, they shouldn't push him too hard. After all the kid came right out of college, he looks pretty strong but his experience is 0.

Betts fought his own stick and ended up with a dislocated shoulder, he better quit putting the stick between his legs after a faceoff.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
and what happens if someone retaliates the Caps go on the PP and they go on to win?
You cant go around retaliating every single time, especially in a close hockey game
I am not saying you shouldnt do it but that wasnt the time to do it. If JVR ends up missing some time maybe someone does something about it in a couple of weeks when they play the Caps down there.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:40 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Pretty sure Betts was tripped on that faceoff by the Caps player, IIRC.

SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

****** for Betts; hopefully he comes back healthy. They'll miss him on the PK, but there's enough guys who can fill in while he's out. As long as this isn't a really long-term injury, Carter can take on more responsibility on the PK and Lappy can slide into the centre spot on the 4th line.

I'm not worried about JVR; the MRI will determine if he needs to sit out some games, if any.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
and what happens if someone retaliates the Caps go on the PP and they go on to win?
You cant go around retaliating every single time, especially in a close hockey game
I am not saying you shouldnt do it but that wasnt the time to do it.
If JVR ends up missing some time maybe someone does something about it in a couple of weeks when they play the Caps down there.
I hear you but out of all penalties Flyers took yesterday with exception of Timonens holding on Semin (he was almost one on one with Emery).. You see where I am going with that?

Old
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
I hear you but out of all penalties Flyers took yesterday with exception of Timonens holding on Semin (he was almost one on one with Emery).. You see where I am going with that?
...not really. They took other penalties so they should take a dumb one to defend JVR on a relatively innocent play?

Look if he'd run JVR with an elbow or something, I'd be all for being pissed off with Jurcina...he didn't. He was obstructing him down the wall and then JVR went into the boards awkwardly...and we got a PP out of it. There's a time and place, that wasn't it.

If you really think something needs to be done, you take a number and get him when he exposes himself to a hit, or it's a time-and-score situation where you can take some liberties.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I would rather answer with a good soild clean check on one of their young players then go jump someone and kick the snot out of them and give them a PP.
Like I said its early in the season, plenty of time to step up and seek someone out later in the season.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Gagne-Richards-Pyorala
Hartnell-Carter-Asham
Powe-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Kalinski-Lapperiere
Not sure we should break up the Carter line cause of an injury on the 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

In all seriousness, thankfully Betts' injury is a dislocation is a huge relief...assuming the MRI doesn't prove that it's seperated.
Yes, separated would SUCK! If this was the playoffs, he would probably be playing. He will miss a few weeks and be back if it is just dislocated. Lets just hope it doesnt become a chronic issue for the season...

Quote:
Quote:
...not really. They took other penalties so they should take a dumb one to defend JVR on a relatively innocent play?

Look if he'd run JVR with an elbow or something, I'd be all for being pissed off with Jurcina...he didn't. He was obstructing him down the wall and then JVR went into the boards awkwardly...and we got a PP out of it. There's a time and place, that wasn't it.

If you really think something needs to be done, you take a number and get him when he exposes himself to a hit, or it's a time-and-score situation where you can take some liberties.
Kaktus, as much as I would love to see that....Jester is right. Need to pick your spots. That game was too close. It isnt like it was the last time we are playing them...next time we play them dress Cote, start with Lappy/Cote/Carcillo and go out there and attack.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Giroux will have to pick up the slack on the PK with Betts out. We have plenty of guys capable of killing penalties - Richards, Carter, Gagne, Hartnell, Giroux, Laperriere, Powe - so we'll just have to rely on those guys a bit more.

I don't think we should break up the first two lines at this point. If JVR is out:

Carcillo - Giroux - Powe/Laperriere
Cote - Laperriere/Powe - Asham

If JVR plays:

JVR - Giroux - Powe
Carcillo - Laperriere - Asham

These lineups don't look too bad. We can survive Betts' absence. I think Laperriere will really prove his worth over the next month or two.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I would rather answer with a good soild clean check on one of their young players then go jump someone and kick the snot out of them and give them a PP.
Like I said its early in the season, plenty of time to step up and seek someone out later in the season.
Mehh... I did not see a fight or good solid clean check later in the game.. I did not even see a face wash or push, I saw nothing.

I did see Bradley fighting Lappy after he delived a check on Green earlier in the game.

Old
10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Mehh... I did not see a fight or good solid clean check later in the game.. I did not even see a face wash or push, I saw nothing.

I did see Bradley fighting Lappy after he delived a check on Green earlier in the game.
It was a tight game, which we tied with less than 5 minutes, and won in OT.

Do you want to focus on winning games, or evening scores for a pretty innocent play?

And Lappy hit Greene from behind and drove him head first into the boards -- that was a dangerous hit. What happened to JVR wasn't even close to what Lappy did...

Old
10-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

In case anybody here wasn't aware: JVR will be on NHL Live at 1:45pm. They already mentioned his injury a little, so I am sure they will ask him about it.

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=616

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote