HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Betts/Parent could return this weekend (update, post #172)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2009, 12:34 PM
  #51
wereback
Registered User
 
wereback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS View Post
Agreed...definitely not a good thing, but it could have been a LOT worse.
If i remember correctly, Betts DOES have a history of shoulder problems...i think he dislocated it while he was in Calgary....could be wrong...fust a FYI

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
  #52
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Right, but when someone gets their "bell rung", you arn't supposed to send them right back out there. Ringing in the ears is one of the signs of a concussion. It doesn't nessessarily mean he has one, but they should be cautious at that point, not send him right back out there.

I'm not saying sit him, if he doesn't have a concussion that's greeat, just be careful. I'm surprised that Homer would say something that alarming.
He wasnt sent right back out there. he went down the tunnel and into the locker room and didnt come back until the 3rd period in which he played a total of 2 shifts totaling around a minute of icetime. He was cleared in the locker room between periods. Getting your "bell rung" is just a term and it happens multiple times a game.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
  #53
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It was a tight game, which we tied with less than 5 minutes, and won in OT.

Do you want to focus on winning games, or evening scores for a pretty innocent play?
I want to see Flyers to take legit penalties not some BS calls like yesterday. Make it count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And Lappy hit Greene from behind and drove him head first into the boards -- that was a dangerous hit. What happened to JVR wasn't even close to what Lappy did...
Well, I think if Lappy hit Green in the middle of the ice, Green would still end up somewhere along the boards.

You damn right it was not even close. JVR was driven into mother****ing boards and now probably has concussion. Hopefully he will shake it off and play against Pittsburgh.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:43 PM
  #54
Shoeny
Registered User
 
Shoeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...not really. They took other penalties so they should take a dumb one to defend JVR on a relatively innocent play?

Look if he'd run JVR with an elbow or something, I'd be all for being pissed off with Jurcina...he didn't. He was obstructing him down the wall and then JVR went into the boards awkwardly...and we got a PP out of it. There's a time and place, that wasn't it.

If you really think something needs to be done, you take a number and get him when he exposes himself to a hit, or it's a time-and-score situation where you can take some liberties.
he went hard into the boards to cancel powes icing. i blame powe for not being able to pass or skate a puck to the red line.

powe has turned into the new jones for me. there is a problem when he has the third most shots. if giroux is going to be setting people up to score, i dont want it to be the guy who habitually shoots into the goalie's chest. powe plays a perfect fourth line style of play and cant play with guys like giroux because he brings them down. giroux has played his best hockey this season on the three shifts he had with richards and gagne. not saying he needs to be up on the line, but give giroux some help.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 12:52 PM
  #55
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I want to see Flyers to take legit penalties not some BS calls like yesterday. Make it count.
Yes, in response to the "BS calls" lets take "legit penalties" so that the proportion of good PKs to bad PKs will be more in line with what we want. Never mind that the Caps have a dangerous PP unit that had been lighting it up...never mind that we want to win the game, not some machismo score settling.

Quote:
Well, I think if Lappy hit Green in the middle of the ice, Green would still end up somewhere along the boards.
Well, in a hypothetical-hit-that-didn't-happen game, that's all fine and good. Lappy hit Greene from behind in the most dangerous area of the ice around the boards. Wasn't even comparable to what happened to JVR, which was an innocent play along the end boards that he ended up on the wrong end of -- partially of his own making.

Quote:
You damn right it was not even close. JVR was driven into mother****ing boards and now probably has concussion. Hopefully he will shake it off and play against Pittsburgh.
The level of injury is not directly related to the level of responsibility for the supposedly offending player. A player can get injured on a perfectly legal/innocent play just as much as on a dangerous play.

Jurcina did nothing to be frothing at the mouth over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
he went hard into the boards to cancel powes icing. i blame powe for not being able to pass or skate a puck to the red line.

powe has turned into the new jones for me. there is a problem when he has the third most shots. if giroux is going to be setting people up to score, i dont want it to be the guy who habitually shoots into the goalie's chest. powe plays a perfect fourth line style of play and cant play with guys like giroux because he brings them down. giroux has played his best hockey this season on the three shifts he had with richards and gagne. not saying he needs to be up on the line, but give giroux some help.
We're watching two different players if you think Powe is playing that badly...and I'm not shy about criticizing players. Powe is what he is, a bottom 6 grunt.

JVR went hard into the boards because he stretched himself out into a vulnerable position...hopefully he learned a lesson. Jurcina wasn't dirty or malicious in that play in the slightest.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:12 PM
  #56
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,251
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
if jvr and betts are both out for more than just a few days (i know betts is out minimum a month but i'm saying if they are BOTH out), obviously (hopefully) asham AND cote won't be in the lineup for too long, but who will be called up? i vote for patrick maroon. he would be a good compliment on the third line playing in place of jvr. he's a crash the net kind of player who will knock in pucks like john leclair used to. i'd stick asham down on the 4th line and let cote ride the pine. i like cote as a tough guy, but we don't need carcillo, asham, and cote all on the ice at the same time.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:12 PM
  #57
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,684
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I want to see Flyers to take legit penalties not some BS calls like yesterday. Make it count.


You damn right it was not even close. JVR was driven into mother****ing boards and now probably has concussion. Hopefully he will shake it off and play against Pittsburgh.
I dont think we should be complaining about the officials last night. Didnt the Flyers get handed a couple of questionable PPs?
That hit was not that bad. JVR put himself in a tough spot and hit the dasher.
Saw the JVR on NHLive today and he said he is feeling alot better for what its worth.
Pretty sure if there were any issues the Flyers wouldnt have alowed him to do the interview.

I really hope they dont dress Cote tomorrow night. It will probably mean an additional 2 or 3 PP for Pittsburgh.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
  #58
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Jester, so what you are saying is that there was no holding call...

Basically JVR did it to him self? Is that it?

By the way Green was not hit from behind, side hit mroe then anything and I am pretty sure it's Green not Greene.

I am not even going to get into with you on Powe and what he is and how he plays.. It will be determined real soon. As of now Powe can do no wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I dont think we should be complaining about the officials last night. Didnt the Flyers get handed a couple of questionable PPs?
Went both way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
That hit was not that bad. JVR put himself in a tough spot and hit the dasher.
Saw the JVR on NHLive today and he said he is feeling alot better for what its worth.
Pretty sure if there were any issues the Flyers wouldnt have alowed him to do the interview
.
I am glad he is ok. Lets wait until someone elbows him like Perry vs Giroux last year. Lets do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
I really hope they dont dress Cote tomorrow night. It will probably mean an additional 2 or 3 PP for Pittsburgh.
I am with you


Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
  #59
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
He wasnt sent right back out there. he went down the tunnel and into the locker room and didnt come back until the 3rd period in which he played a total of 2 shifts totaling around a minute of icetime. He was cleared in the locker room between periods. Getting your "bell rung" is just a term and it happens multiple times a game.
Oh well, it's not worth arguing about, my definition of having your "bell rung" is different from yours. The term comes from, as I understand it, receiving a blow to the head and having ringing in your ears. While it does not equate a concussion, that is one of the symptoms.

I imagine Reemer himself insisted he was fine, took a few shifts, and then they shut him down. Just excuse me if I get a little uneasy about guys getting shots to the head. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I just like playing those things safe. The nonchalant attitude the team seems to have about these things just bugs me a bit.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:26 PM
  #60
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Oh well, it's not worth arguing about, my definition of having your "bell rung" is different from yours. The term comes from, as I understand it, receiving a blow to the head and having ringing in your ears. While it does not equate a concussion, that is one of the symptoms.

I imagine Reemer himself insisted he was fine, took a few shifts, and then they shut him down. Just excuse me if I get a little uneasy about guys getting shots to the head. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I just like playing those things safe. The nonchalant attitude the team seems to have about these things just bugs me a bit.
I agree but what I am saying is a GM saying a guy got his bell rung is a very common term in hockey. the origins of the word may mean that but i doubt homer asked him if he heard ringing in his ears before saying it. Guys get hit hard every single game and come back to play. I think they played it safe by playing him 2 shifts.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
  #61
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,364
vCash: 1431
He is listed as day-to-day, in case this hasn't been posted -- http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...542&feedID=704
Quote:

Flyers rookie winger James van Riemsdyk said he felt much better Wednesday after striking the back boards with his head during Tuesday’s 6-5 Flyers win over Washington.

He said he doesn’t think he has a concussion. JVR passed a baseline exam during the game and passed new tests on Wednesday. He remains questionable for Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh.

"We’ll re-evaluate him tomorrow and it’s probably a day-to-day thing," said general manager Paul Holmgren.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
  #62
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What people do not realize is that while Betts was PKing, Mike Richards is over a PPG player and Carter (Jeff did not look very good) is a PPG player.
Because Richards hasn't been PPG player for 2 seasons now, and Carter 1? I love how Betts takes their minutes down and keeps them fresh, but they we're already PPG players


and the Jurcina hit was pretty bad because it was interference

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:57 PM
  #63
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Because Richards hasn't been PPG player for 2 seasons now, and Carter 1? I love how Betts takes their minutes down and keeps them fresh, but they we're already PPG players


and the Jurcina hit was pretty bad because it was interference
I was going to say that but I didnt want to waste time arguing such a weak point. Along with the fact that its 3 games into the season so points per game averages really arent at a valid sample yet.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
  #64
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,634
vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Give JVR a few games, no reason to make this linger. The loss of Betts is unfortunate, but at the same time we've still got Lappy, Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Pyorala, and Gagne to kill penalties. That 3 god units, that should be fine.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
  #65
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,149
vCash: 500
Here it is from the Flyers blog:

Quote:
Arron Asham and Riley Cote, who have been healthy scratches for the first three games, could both be in the lineup. Look for Asham to take the place of van Riemsdyk and Cote to take Betts’ place on the fourth line with Ian Laperriere moving to center.
Quote:
Stevens also mentioned that defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen will be making his season debut “soon.” Today in practice, Danny Syvret lined up as a forward at times so that could mean Tollefsen would play tomorrow against Pittsburgh.
So all our tough guys could be in the lineup against the Pens, and hopefully the Ducks. That's what I've been waiting for, to see how it works out

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
  #66
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Here it is from the Flyers blog:





So all our tough guys could be in the lineup against the Pens, and hopefully the Ducks. That's what I've been waiting for, to see how it works out
I dont understand why you want a bunch of tough guys out there instead of skilled guys. You can see that our current skilled team is working out. Dont know why you want us to just try and hit people the whole time

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
  #67
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I dont understand why you want a bunch of tough guys out there instead of skilled guys. You can see that our current skilled team is working out. Dont know why you want us to just try and hit people the whole time
Isn't that Flyers image? We become a harder team to play against, we'll drain opponent team energy with some very physical play.

I know some of you want the Flyers to look soft, and don't believe in the physical part of the game. But that's too bad for you, because Homer really thinks it's important.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:45 PM
  #68
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Isn't that Flyers image? We become a harder team to play against, we'll drain opponent team energy with some very physical play.

I know some of you want the Flyers to look soft, and don't believe in the physical part of the game. But that's too bad for you, because Homer really thinks it's important.
Id rather win games the way we are in the new NHL then trying to bring back the Broadstreet Bullies which will not work now.

And I dont think Homer believes in that since the last 3 games we are 3-0 without having a team full of tough guys and more towards skill guys. Our foruth line of Carcillo-Betts-Lappy wasnt only playing tough, but are skilled (omg I said Carcillo is skilled lol).

We already have enough penalties going against us. Unless we plan on playing on the pk for the whole game just so we can look tough then I dont know what to say

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
  #69
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,946
vCash: 955
sa cyred, your obsession with Carcillo is hilarious. Every time you bring him up, you can't help making (at least) a backhanded comment.


CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:14 PM
  #70
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
sa cyred, your obsession with Carcillo is hilarious. Every time you bring him up, you can't help making (at least) a backhanded comment.

It was a joke.... a joke I did it on purpose lol. People are wayy to uptight.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
  #71
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Because Richards hasn't been PPG player for 2 seasons now, and Carter 1? I love how Betts takes their minutes down and keeps them fresh, but they we're already PPG player(s)
I said over PPG player(s) or can't you ****ing read? 5 goals in 3 games is over a PPG, right? lol When was Mike scoring at that paste? With Betts in the line up it helped Mike to play PP and 5 on 5, was taking a lot of pressure off Richards and Carter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
and the Jurcina hit was pretty bad because it was interference
Interference? How is interference drives a player into the boards? lol Do me a favor.....

9:20 Milan Jurcina: 2 Minutes for Holding James vanRiemsdyk
http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=291006015

Yes, interference..


Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-07-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
  #72
fire bettman
 
fire bettman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
good thing this is early in the season... otherwise i'd be concerned. JVR and Betts will have plenty of time to get healthy before it's crucial to get them back in.

Plus Cote is just as good as Betts on the penalty kill

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:43 PM
  #73
Shoeny
Registered User
 
Shoeny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We're watching two different players if you think Powe is playing that badly...and I'm not shy about criticizing players. Powe is what he is, a bottom 6 grunt.

JVR went hard into the boards because he stretched himself out into a vulnerable position...hopefully he learned a lesson. Jurcina wasn't dirty or malicious in that play in the slightest.
9 shots is too many for a bottom 6 grunt. he got a lucky goal. I agree he isnt playing badly, he just isnt the right fit for giroux. I think powe should center the fourth line now and give laparierre a chance on the right wing.

with betts out i think the bottom six should look like:
jvr-giroux-laparierre
carcillo-powe-asham

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
  #74
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
I love the idea of dressing both OKT and Syvret and having Syvret play some on the 4th line. I like anybody in the lineup better than Speedbag Cote. Never hurts having a 7th defenseman anyways.

Ideally:

Gagne Richards Pyorala
Hartnell Carter Briere
Carcillo Giroux Asham
Syvret Powe Laperierre

Top 4 - same
OKT Parent

If JVR is good then just shove Carcillo back down to the 4th line. I REALLY want Powe the hell away from Giroux. He sucks the offense out of just about anybody.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:33 PM
  #75
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I said over PPG player(s) or can't you ****ing read? 5 goals in 3 games is over a PPG, right? lol When was Mike scoring at that paste? With Betts in the line up it helped Mike to play PP and 5 on 5, was taking a lot of pressure off Richards and Carter.
i'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic -- what he's saying is that they were already PPG players without betts, not much has changed statistically

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.