HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey undershirts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2009, 05:59 PM
  #26
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Have you ever tried the Under Armour ones, are you just talking out of your ass? I have a few of the RBK ones, as it was hard to find Under Armour around where I live, so I used RBK ones. They work pretty well, then I got a long sleeve Under Armour, which works FAR better. It keeps me far warmer, drier, and I love the tighter compression fit. UA is TOTALLY worth the extra money if you have it, it has far better performance.
They're good shirts, I'll give you that. But the best I've tried was better then UA- It's a brand called Prana, and it's built for rock climbers. You can, and I have, worn that sucker for two weeks straight without it staying damp. It feels dry and fresh every morning.

Not a compression fit like I like for hockey though, so I don't use it for that.

As for UA, let me give you an example. If you visit one of their outlet stores, you will see two prices on the same shirt- $20 and $45. The difference is Color. They admit to pricing the core colors- black, gray, navy and white at much higher prices there because people buy those colors more. They can't discount them. But they sell the other shirts according to the basic retail formula- 50%ish over cost. Standard retail markup. They're really not any better, but because you pay $45 for it, you expect it to be better and you get a mental effect that makes it seem better similar to a placebo effect.

UA is marketing. And I don't begrudge them that- it works, and they did innovate a lot of the stuff. But other companies have gotten into the act and managed to replicate it and are selling it for prices that are closer to the actual cost.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
  #27
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
Have you ever tried the Under Armour ones, are you just talking out of your ass? I have a few of the RBK ones, as it was hard to find Under Armour around where I live, so I used RBK ones. They work pretty well, then I got a long sleeve Under Armour, which works FAR better. It keeps me far warmer, drier, and I love the tighter compression fit. UA is TOTALLY worth the extra money if you have it, it has far better performance.
At no point should you need to wear anything that will keep you warmer.

Unless you are a duster of course

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 12:56 AM
  #28
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
I don't wear a shirt when I play? What are the advantages to wearing one?

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:08 AM
  #29
CuteHockeyBunny
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
I don't wear a shirt when I play? What are the advantages to wearing one?
Your gear will degrade more slowly (due to the lack of moisture/perspiration build-up) and most importantly, it will smell a **** ton less.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:32 AM
  #30
clefty
What a nice fella
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
I'll go for the t-shirt. It's to be found in most closets across the world, usually extremely cheap as well.
I know, huh?

I just wear a plain t-shirt.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 08:41 AM
  #31
f2racer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
I bought a couple of UA-ish performance t-shirts from Marshalls for something like $10 each. One was a looser fitting Nike, the other a tighter fitting Warrior. I find that they keep me much dryer than a plain cotton t-shirt. I also like the tighter fit of the Warrior shirt, it tended to keep my shoulder pads in place better...

f2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:14 AM
  #32
Saved*
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
So you're wearing an undershirt for when it's hot? Do you know how counter productive that is when you're playing hockey?

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
  #33
no.95
Registered User
 
no.95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: Sweden
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
Your gear will degrade more slowly (due to the lack of moisture/perspiration build-up) and most importantly, it will smell a **** ton less.
And, more importantly, your nipples won't get sore as hell from the shoulder pads. That's pretty much the only reason I even wear anything underneath.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
  #34
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
So you're wearing an undershirt for when it's hot? Do you know how counter productive that is when you're playing hockey?
People dont care, its all about the brand.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
  #35
jbennardo
 
jbennardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
People dont care, its all about the brand.
It really is. They've ton a tremendous job building brand equity. People, for the most part, will spend a bit more to say they're wearing UA. Same goes with Fox Racing stuff in our mountain bike circles.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:28 PM
  #36
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
And, more importantly, your nipples won't get sore as hell from the shoulder pads. That's pretty much the only reason I even wear anything underneath.
hahaha...so true, forgot about this

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
  #37
cptjeff
[insert joke here]
 
cptjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington, DC.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,424
vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rented Mule View Post
So you're wearing an undershirt for when it's hot? Do you know how counter productive that is when you're playing hockey?
UA hot gear is for when it's hot and helps keep you cool, not the other way around.

And if you've ever played, you want something to keep you cool. it's very rare you need stuff to keep you warm when you're playing hockey.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
  #38
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
UA hot gear is for when it's hot and helps keep you cool, not the other way around.

And if you've ever played, you want something to keep you cool. it's very rare you need stuff to keep you warm when you're playing hockey.
He is actually right. The UA hot gear is for when you are playing in hot temp. Sweat evaporates different in hot and cold temp. Thats why UA came out with Cold gear.

The shirts supposedly extract the sweat from you, that is the point of them. Hot gear extracts it different from Cold gear. Hence he really should not be wearing Hot gear for hockey.

Unless you are saying what im saying and were actually responding to the guy that wears the Hot gear, then disregard.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 09:57 PM
  #39
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I know, huh?

I just wear a plain t-shirt.
I wear a regular longsleeve tee ... I like to have the elbow pads over the sleeve and not on skin.

I tried an undershirt made of that new fancy schmancy stretch breathable stuff and hated it. it hangs in the closet like new and virtually unused.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:14 AM
  #40
DJnet65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
He is actually right. The UA hot gear is for when you are playing in hot temp. Sweat evaporates different in hot and cold temp. Thats why UA came out with Cold gear.

The shirts supposedly extract the sweat from you, that is the point of them. Hot gear extracts it different from Cold gear. Hence he really should not be wearing Hot gear for hockey.

Unless you are saying what im saying and were actually responding to the guy that wears the Hot gear, then disregard.
I don't know about that. While researching different undershirts I couldn't help but notice on UA's website they have a section for Ice Hockey which specifically lists their Heat Gear shirt but not their cold gear.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...z=&sort=normal

They also have a shirt made specially for Ice Hockey, and i also noticed when you click on technology it uses Heat Gear.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...-T/1204122-001


So take what you will from that.

DJnet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  #41
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJnet65 View Post
I don't know about that. While researching different undershirts I couldn't help but notice on UA's website they have a section for Ice Hockey which specifically lists their Heat Gear shirt but not their cold gear.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...z=&sort=normal

They also have a shirt made specially for Ice Hockey, and i also noticed when you click on technology it uses Heat Gear.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...-T/1204122-001


So take what you will from that.
Cold gear is apperantly meant for 12 C and less.

You got me, its a head scratcher.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 05:52 PM
  #42
Dutch
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
Heatgear keeps you dry when you're doing intense sports and sweat a lot. It's made to keep you warm, but not hot.

Coldgear is made for cold temperature where you might not be in intense action (like skiing or hunting). It's fabric is thicker and keeps you way warmer than Heatgear, sometimes too warm for sports like hockey.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:11 PM
  #43
IniNew
 
IniNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Keller
Country: United States
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Yeah... after seeing both Cold and Heat gear in the store, I would never think about putting on a ColdGear shirt on the ice. That stuff is thick.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:32 AM
  #44
10 ft. pole
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
no.95

"And, more importantly, your nipples won't get sore as hell from the shoulder pads. That's pretty much the only reason I even wear anything underneath."

Never had that problem. I just wear pasties.

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 05:23 AM
  #45
CanadaBacon
 
CanadaBacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Yeah... after seeing both Cold and Heat gear in the store, I would never think about putting on a ColdGear shirt on the ice. That stuff is thick.
1/4 stuff is thick, but the Blitz or Strive isnt much different from the hot gear stuff.

I personally wouldnt wear it but i guess if you ride alot of pine it could be a good option

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.