HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Switch from Goalie to Player

Old
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
KanerandTazer

vCash: 500
Switch from Goalie to Player

I am a goalie who is not very good. A am the 3rd goalie on my team and gets no playing time. I was thinking of switching to a player position. I don't know if I will be good or not. During skating drills I am generally in the back of the pack and I dont know if thats different without goalie pads. Is it worth spending the money and switch to a player position?

KanerandTazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Ragss

If you are somewhere that has outdoor rinks I'd recommend getting some second hand player skates, gloves, helmet and a stick and this winter get in as much shinny as you can. Going from pure goalie to skater isn't a simple transition, its a whole different skill set.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

if you cant skate in goalie skates, its going to be harder to get used to player skates. much less blade touching the ice even though you have less equipment doesnt mean it would be easier. you get used to skating a certain way as a goalie and its totally different when you use player skates

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 09:45 AM
pfloyd75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
if you cant skate in goalie skates, its going to be harder to get used to player skates. much less blade touching the ice even though you have less equipment doesnt mean it would be easier. you get used to skating a certain way as a goalie and its totally different when you use player skates
This is pretty accurate. I play goalie and forward, doing about 1-2 games a week of each. I am an OK skater but I find that I still have a moment of slight instability when I first step on the ice in my player skates as the blades are so different from my goalie skates. However, once you get used to player skates, it is much easier to skate when not wearing all of the goalie gear.

As mentioned above, try to get your hands on some player stuff and try your hand at shinny or drop in or even just public skate before abandoning goalie alltogether.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

You know goalies are hockey players too, right?

What they say is true, try some shinny with some second hand or borrowed equipment to try to begin to get a feel for it. If you don't know anyone who could lend you equipment, explain your situation with the guy in charge of your rink. I haven't seen a rink yet without a room of used equipment.

The financial obligation of just getting a taste for skater, like what I think your getting at, is quite a bit more than most would consider fair.

It's not very common in my experience to find a player go from goalie to skater, usually it's the other way around. So I don't have a lot of knowledge about such a switch.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanerandTazer View Post
I am a goalie who is not very good. A am the 3rd goalie on my team and gets no playing time. I was thinking of switching to a player position. I don't know if I will be good or not. During skating drills I am generally in the back of the pack and I dont know if thats different without goalie pads. Is it worth spending the money and switch to a player position?
Well find yourself with hockey, take some time to try playing as a skater and if it fails go back to playing goal.

It also depends what kind of skater you are playing forward or defense or whatever.

I am a defensive forward good at reading the plays and stealing pucks, killing penalties etc.

I am not as good as others offensively speaking but alas hockey has a job for every type of player out there. Find YOUR game and you will enjoy hockey more.

What I am saying is I play the game to feel good about stealing pucks and helping out the team defensively. If I played to setup goals with amazing dekes and world class goal scoring passes to people I would just get frustrated and not have fun.

I'm a solid passer and have a heavy shot and that is about it, I do the basic stick handling stuff and do not suck at it but I am not going to whiff through 4 guys like they were pilons and get the amazing highlight goal.

I think you should stay in goal since you have the gear already honestly. You can also get more out of playing goal if you are mediocre simply because not many people play goal compared to forward or defense skaters. There are more chances to play as a goalie for someone not very good as you can hook up with some guys who are not very good and play some not very good hockey together or something.

Your own personal preference will decide for you whether or not to play goal or skater. have fun in any case.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote