HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#4 - 10.08.09 | NY Rangers @ Washington Capitals | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2009, 07:10 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

vCash: 500
ill join in on the general sentiment here, try and keep ovy to less than 3 points and prey Varlamov has another poor start. Otherwise I just hope torts is able to keep the kids away from that first line as much as possible. DZ and Gilroy could be in for a longggg night.

Old
10-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Levitate

Yeah it's hard to tell what you'll get from Varlamov. The key seems to be scoring on him early and then pressuring him immediately afterward. He has been giving up goals in bunches so if you can rattle him and keep the pressure on, he'll give up some more

Old
10-08-2009, 07:13 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We took this team to 7 games in the playoffs, with a less talented lineup, playing conservative, and averaging what 1 goal per game?

I'm not going to give them THAT much respect.

Henrik is considerably better then anything they faced so far this season.

They haven't faced a club that plays with the same abandon.

They have Green. We have MDZ AND Gilroy.

They have Ovechkn, we have Gaborik.

They have Backstrom, we have Dubinsky.

They have Semin, we can't match that depth, but we can sure as heck get the woman off her game easily, like we have in the past.

Go out there and pound the heck out of them, get under their skin, and bring their game to them.

Old
10-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Levitate

Green is significantly better than Gilroy or Del Zotto or even both combined at this point

Ovechkin is better than Gaborik

Backstrom is definitely better than Dubinsky

Semin is better than anyone the Rangers have except for Gaborik and then you're getting down to splitting hairs over who you like

the Caps top line is miles ahead of anything the Rangers have...where the Rangers have an advantage is in goal, and with depth. The Caps still have pretty mediocre depth if they play all their talent on the first line. The second and third lines need to step up tonight and contribute.

The Rangers also have an edge overall in D (on the defensive side of things) I think, but it kind of depends on how they come to play.

At any rate, the Rangers need to keep the pressure on the Caps and not get stuck trying to defend all game, or they're going to lose. That's all there is to it. You can't spend the whole game defending against the Caps, you have to be pressing and scoring goals against them and keeping them from being on offense the entire game.

Old
10-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Green is significantly better than Gilroy or Del Zotto or even both combined at this point

Semin is better than anyone the Rangers have except for Gaborik and then you're getting down to splitting hairs over who you like

the Caps top line is miles ahead of anything the Rangers have...where the Rangers have an advantage is in goal, and with depth. The Caps still have pretty mediocre depth if they play all their talent on the first line. The second and third lines need to step up tonight and contribute.

The Rangers also have an edge overall in D (on the defensive side of things) I think, but it kind of depends on how they come to play.

At any rate, the Rangers need to keep the pressure on the Caps and not get stuck trying to defend all game, or they're going to lose. That's all there is to it. You can't spend the whole game defending against the Caps, you have to be pressing and scoring goals against them and keeping them from being on offense the entire game.

Too early in the morning for sobering facts. Can't we just go with "Hope and Change"?

Old
10-08-2009, 07:57 AM
ZMachine

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQSOrvDtyQ

Old
10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
We took this team to 7 games in the playoffs, with a less talented lineup, playing conservative, and averaging what 1 goal per game?

Henrik is considerably better then anything they faced so far this season.

They haven't faced a club that plays with the same abandon.

They have Semin, we can't match that depth, but we can sure as heck get the woman off her game easily, like we have in the past.

Go out there and pound the heck out of them, get under their skin, and bring their game to them.
Mentioning MDZ or Gilroy in the same breath as Mike Green is just absurd.

Ovechkin is far superior to Gaborik.

Backstrom is better than Dubinsky.

Those are pretty simple facts. The Caps, on paper, have a vastly more talented team than we do. We have a clear edge in goaltending, and will have to be excellent on special teams to beat clubs like Washington.

Old
10-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Those are pretty simple facts. The Caps, on paper, have a vastly more talented team than we do. We have a clear edge in goaltending, and will have to be excellent on special teams to beat clubs like Washington.
Really only their top line and Green are vastly more talented. The rest of the team is pretty "meh", but that top line is ridiculous enough that it doesn't matter a lot of the time

edit: top line or top talent, however you want to look at it

Old
10-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Theodore or Varlamov?

Old
10-08-2009, 08:28 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

varlamov got lit up last game. his glove hand was exposed. no reason we cant do the same.

if its theo in net, im not afraid at all.

last years playoff matchup was against a renney team with less talent. were better now and last years over.

we played them pretty even in preseason with a fairly veteran roster if im not mistaken. bodes well for us tonite.

if we score on our pp chances, i think were in good shape.

they are a very good team with unproven goaltending. we are a very good team with perhaps the best goalie in the world.

i like our chances.

Old
10-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Let's Go Rangers!!!!!!!

Old
10-08-2009, 08:34 AM
shoothepuck

If they can find a way to slow Ovi down, score early and keep the pressure up, tonight will be a good game.

Old
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

Being a fanboy is one thing, but these comparisons...

Oh my goodness.

Stick with our advantage in goal, which always gives us a chance in any individual game. Otherwise we are seriously outmanned in individual comparisons, and you didn't even mention Brooks Laich, another potential rising star on their roster.

Old
10-08-2009, 08:53 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

Henrik is considerably better then anything they faced so far this season. perhaps

They haven't faced a club that plays with the same abandon. phily is really really good.

They have Green. We have MDZ AND Gilroy. not a good comparison at all

They have Ovechkn, we have Gaborik. ovy is better

They have Backstrom, we have Dubinsky. backstrom is better

They have Semin, we can't match that depth, but we can sure as heck get the woman off her game easily, like we have in the past. semin cant fight but hes very skilled and as good as anyone we have.

they have the better top 5.

we have the better goalie.

Old
10-08-2009, 08:54 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Lets Go Rangers!!!

Time for some sweet revenge. 6-1 Win

Old
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

gotta keep the top line in check to a degree. they'll score but you have to keep them somewhat inline. the rangers talent after the top lines is far greater than what the caps can run out there and that includes our blueline and goaltending as well as our 2nd line. Our third line would be mixed in there if avery was playing but right now i just dont trust them

Old
10-08-2009, 08:57 AM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

We might as well not risk injury and forfeit the game………

Hey maybe Torts could get you to give the pre-game prep talk to the team……

What’s with the long face? Voros striped Ovechkin and got a shot off in the pre-season…….

What a buzz kill….

Old
10-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Jersey Girl

I'm thinking perhaps a well-timed Brashear shoulder to the head of Ovechkin, away from the play when Ovechkin isn't looking, will give us a much better chance to win tonight...

Old
10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Dizzy better score two goals tonight or that scary, scary man Torts might scream at him. Three points in three games just isn't gonna cut it anymore. Pick up the pace, little boy.
I hope this was just a "little" joke

Old
10-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

Oh my goodness.

Stick with our advantage in goal, which always gives us a chance in any individual game. Otherwise we are seriously outmanned in individual comparisons, and you didn't even mention Brooks Laich, another potential rising star on their roster.
I like Laich, but I really don't think he's a star. He's benefiting greatly from getting icetime with Ovechkin

Old
10-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Rangerfans

No Avery to harass Semin and co. in the lineup.

I'm real worried about this one. The Caps are quite simply frightening. On paper they are a vastly superior team to the Rangers.

But the game is not won on paper. Let's go Rangers!

Old
10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I like Laich, but I really don't think he's a star. He's benefiting greatly from getting icetime with Ovechkin
Laich is certainly not a star. As I said, he's a potential rising star. Of course he will not keep up the pace he started the season with, but he is a good player I wish was on the Rangers.

Old
10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

Oh my goodness.

You have to believe that the Phoenix fans were thinking the same thing before the Pens game last night b/c in reality the Pens vs Phoenix talent comparision might be the most extreme in the league. But on any given night, each team has a chance to not only win, but shutout the best team in the league on its home ice. The good news for us tonight is that IMO we are a markedly better team than what the Caps beat last spring so even though there is a talent gulf, it's less than what we had before.

Old
10-08-2009, 09:22 AM
ohbaby

The Rangers can win this one! Caps D is suspect and Theodore is beatable. And we do a good job on OV. But then there is Semin, Backstrom, and Green. Won't be easy. but doable.

Old
10-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak10r View Post
We might as well not risk injury and forfeit the game………

Hey maybe Torts could get you to give the pre-game prep talk to the team……

What’s with the long face? Voros striped Ovechkin and got a shot off in the pre-season…….

What a buzz kill….
Sorry, but what Levitate wrote has nothing to do with not believing in the Rangers. He wrote a unbiased (which the majority of fans seem to lack) assessment on the facts between the Rangers and Capitals. They are - without a doubt in my mind - a better team on paper.

The Capitals weakness is their defense: 10 goals against in 2 games. But look at how many times they've scored. We give up WAAAAY too many 2-1, 3-1 chances. If our men are going to continue to pinch either too aggressively or too many times without guys properly defending their positions this is going to be a VERY, VERY long game.

Closed Thread