HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic at the shoe

Old
10-07-2009, 04:21 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
Winter Classic in the shoe? Winter classic in Ohio even?

You're smoking something the quality of which Tommy Chong can't even get his hands on. "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" You hear that? That's the Alarm Clock! It's time to wake up!
I've been smokin some of that I-70e and miller/kelton.

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
I've been smokin some of that I-70e and miller/kelton.
Heheh (+1)

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
I'm not an expert on ice.. but i do know it's not below 32 degrees inside nationwide arena. I believe last I had heard a couple of years back was that it was around 55 to 60 degrees.
Ice temperature needs to be between 17 degrees (very hard, very fast, and very unforgiving) and about 23 degrees (soft, slow, and more forgiving). To get the ideal ice, the underfloor (where the coolant pipes are under the rink) is set to a sub-zero temperature. I've seen anything from -5 (where the air is cold with no humidity) to -70 (where the air is extremely hot with high humidity).

Ice cools and cures from the bottom up. The water that is poured from the Zamboni onto the surface to make new ice is around 150-170 degrees. The reason is to ensure that air bubbles don't form in the extremely thin layer of new ice, which would cause the ice surface to crack.

The two biggest enemies to an ice surface are humidity and, believe it or not, airflow. The humidity is pretty obvious. The reason that airflow is undesirable is because the air itself will always be hotter than the ice temperature. When air flows....well, try this sometime. Take two identical blocks of ice. Stick one in a 200 degree oven. Put the other in the sink and hit it with a hair dryer on "cool". See which melts quicker.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Ice temperature needs to be between 17 degrees (very hard, very fast, and very unforgiving) and about 23 degrees (soft, slow, and more forgiving). To get the ideal ice, the underfloor (where the coolant pipes are under the rink) is set to a sub-zero temperature. I've seen anything from -5 (where the air is cold with no humidity) to -70 (where the air is extremely hot with high humidity).

Ice cools and cures from the bottom up. The water that is poured from the Zamboni onto the surface to make new ice is around 150-170 degrees. The reason is to ensure that air bubbles don't form in the extremely thin layer of new ice, which would cause the ice surface to crack.

The two biggest enemies to an ice surface are humidity and, believe it or not, airflow. The humidity is pretty obvious. The reason that airflow is undesirable is because the air itself will always be hotter than the ice temperature. When air flows....well, try this sometime. Take two identical blocks of ice. Stick one in a 200 degree oven. Put the other in the sink and hit it with a hair dryer on "cool". See which melts quicker.
Nice explanation. Are you Bill Nye the Science Guy?

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Buckcub

I'd think that it'd be in the Big House with Detroit long before it comes to ohio, and as much as I hate the wings, they have enough fan support to sell everyone of those 120,000 tickets. That'd be a crazy atmosphere.

Buckcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckcub View Post
I'd think that it'd be in the Big House with Detroit long before it comes to ohio, and as much as I hate the wings, they have enough fan support to sell everyone of those 120,000 tickets. That'd be a crazy atmosphere.

Yep, we've got a long way to go before we're even in the picture as the Washington Generals for a Winter Classic.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
futurcorerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I dunno about "ten years". We do have some very marketable players in Mason and Nash. But yeah, it's not something that's going to happen next year or the year after, and a Cup would definitely be necessary.
Every team in the league has 'marketable' players.

The problem is the league is too face down in Sidney Crosby's lap to care

The last time I saw a reputed marketing campaign for the NHL featuring its players... I recall Anson Carter being among the players marketed.

lol

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote