HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chelios turned down Rangers offer to play in Hartford but....(#118)

Old
08-18-2009, 06:36 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
TB dumped Eminger because he was arbitration eligible. That is the same reason Florida dumped him. You haven't heard or read one rumor regarding Eminger's future. The Flyers traded a #1 for Eminger 14 months ago and now he is a UFA.

The Bouillon rumors have gone cold.

Even if you look at other NHL teams to project a possible trade it's not easy because the players on the block make too much money. TB has 18 million defensemen under contract. Krajicek is on the block. $1.1 million cap #. Group III next summer. He is sooo inconsistent. David Hale at $700K. Pass.

Burke has so many defensemen. Exelby or White?

Maybe the Rangers could swap Voros for a one year rental defenseman. Voros makes $900,000 per for the next two years. $1 million cap#. Voros get a new opportunity and the Rangers dump the contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:40 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Chellios....mmm...can the Rangers sign him then waive him and keep him off the cap hit and just keep him around as a mentor?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Chellios....mmm...can the Rangers sign him then waive him and keep him off the cap hit and just keep him around as a mentor?
...like a coach? I think he's been pretty clear that he wants to play.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 06:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
...like a coach? I think he's been pretty clear that he wants to play.
Sure he can play during practice and if there are enough injuries on defense or the kids are really struggling, he comes off waivers and plays. That's about the only way I'd really consider signing him.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:45 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Sure he can play during practice and if there are enough injuries on defense or the kids are really struggling, he comes off waivers and plays. That's about the only way I'd really consider signing him.
if he has stated he wants to PLAY, why would he agree to something like this? why does everybody assume he wants to be some kind of old mentor who sits in the press box every night??

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 08:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
if he has stated he wants to PLAY, why would he agree to something like this? why does everybody assume he wants to be some kind of old mentor who sits in the press box every night??
Right. A couple pages back it said that he has an offer from Chicago of the AHL! If he's even remotely considering the AHL, it's a sign that the guy has no intention of doing anything but playing professional hockey.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2009, 04:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

It sounds like the Rangers might not bring in a vet defenseman.

Quote:
about 24-year-old rookie defenceman and Boston University alum Matt Gilroy (Hes a skill player. He needs some work as far as understanding the defensive part of the game in his own end zone. But the thing that I love about him is hes trying to get up the ice all the time. Hes got a fair whack at it this year. There are a couple of wide-open spots on D, and its important that we develop some young defenecmen.)
That comment is from Tortorella.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s-and-prospal/

Old
08-19-2009, 04:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Right. A couple pages back it said that he has an offer from Chicago of the AHL! If he's even remotely considering the AHL, it's a sign that the guy has no intention of doing anything but playing professional hockey.
Chelly is playing somewhere in the fall. Torts is at the US Camp. Chelly asked Wilson about the Leafs. He definitely asked Torts about the Rangers. At some point, a NHL team is going to sign Chelly. It could be in November or December for the league minimum of $500k. He doesn't need the money.

Old
08-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It sounds like the Rangers might not bring in a vet defenseman.

That comment is from Tortorella.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...s-and-prospal/
At this point when I look at the cap I say just get Dubi in and go with the cheaper rooks on D

They can always bring a veteran in later and it would not cost more than a pick or even just a waiver claim when teams are making cuts close to the start of the year. Plus I bet a guy like M.A. Bergeron takes a 2 way ,500K deal realizing its his only shot at making a team this year

So just go with the top 4 as is and look to see in camp if Gilroy can lock a spot up. I think the 6 spot will come down to Sauer and Heikkinen. Outside shot to Sanguinetti if he has improved defensively

I think Potter will be a career minor leaguer/7th Dman call up unfortunatly

DelZotto, McDonaugh , Kundratek, Williams will not be rushed

bring on camp! That competition will be great

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Chelly is getting ready to begin skating with the Wolves

He is perfect for the Rangers situation.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...on-monday.html

Old
10-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Celestial Black

Please no...

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Black View Post
Please no...
Why no?

Chelly is the perfect guy.

Experienced defenseman.
Will play for peanuts.He has more than enough for the next 10 generations of Chelios' to live more than comfortably.
Will help the young defenseman.
Will not complain about not playing.

Old
10-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont know RangerBoy. Im more inclined to look into a cheap veteran defenseman who isn't, ya know, ancient. This isnt a guy thats 40-41 years old, hes 47 for God's sake.

If and when one of our defensemen goes down with an injury, I'd like a guy that can step in and play without worrying about him breaking a hip.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
DontStepanMe

I'm with RB on this one. It just makes sense. Chelios will not play that much. He would be a great mentor for Del zotto and Gilroy and especially Staal. If a player has a minor injury and will only be out a game or two he would do fine replacing him. If a player is out for a long term than we have plenty of guys in the minors who can come up and play, all the while Cheli plays games here and there and keeps mentoring our youth.

The knowledge of the game he possesses is invaluable.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I'm with RB on this one. It just makes sense. Chelios will not play that much. He would be a great mentor for Del zotto and Gilroy and especially Staal. If a player has a minor injury and will only be out a game or two he would do fine replacing him. If a player is out for a long term than we have plenty of guys in the minors who can come up and play, all the while Cheli plays games here and there and keeps mentoring our youth.

The knowledge of the game he possesses is invaluable.
Make him a friggin coach if thats what you want.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why no?

Chelly is the perfect guy.

Experienced defenseman.
Will play for peanuts.He has more than enough for the next 10 generations of Chelios' to live more than comfortably.
Will help the young defenseman.
Will not complain about not playing.
You forgot:

- 45 year old dinosaur that can barely keep up with Marek Malik these days.

Even if he only gets 6 minutes of ice time it will be like we are on the PK during that time with him out there. He is washed up.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I thought he wanted to play, not be an inactive 7th dman. Or is he just shooting for oldest NHLer to play a game, got a few years left for that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont know RangerBoy. Im more inclined to look into a cheap veteran defenseman who isn't, ya know, ancient. This isnt a guy thats 40-41 years old, hes 47 for God's sake.

If and when one of our defensemen goes down with an injury, I'd like a guy that can step in and play without worrying about him breaking a hip.
Which cheap veteran defenseman? David Hale? Mathieu Dandenault?

Would you be more comfortable with one of those guys than Chelios? If a defenseman goes down,the Rangers chances aren't any better with Hale or Dandenault.

Quote:
Added Wings star defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom: "He still has the drive and it's amazing someone at his age still has the drive and the love of the game and wants to continue to play. All the power to him for still being able to play.

"He's not playing as much as he used to when he was playing 30-plus minutes a night but he can still contribute to a team, especially with his leadership and what he can do in the lockerroom. He's still tough to play against out there when you're playing in your own zone."
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...on-monday.html

I'll take Lidstrom's word.

Torts said the Rangers want a defenseman who would be content with his role of not playing that much and doesn't make a lot of money. He added they don't want to acquire a young guy who isn't better than what they already have in the system.

Old
10-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I'd take a flyer. The dude's conditioning is insane and for just a 7th? Cant be worse than what we've had over the years... plus I think he'd be a good clubhouse guy and pretty good teaching the young d a thing or two. Ive heard worse ideas... get him to agree to his 7th role and the fact if he's awful he's gonna get waived... see what happens

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Black Tank

No. The last couple of years he has been a defensive liability. All the knowledge and experience in the world can't compensate for being 10 steps behind. If we need a veteran dman that bad, and I don't believe we do, then trade one or more of the prospects for a legit vet who can keep up with the tempo of the top teams in the East. Otherwise, let the kids play and screw this concept of bringing in some wise old man to save the day.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
pwoz

Sure we can sign Chelios, but please tell me it is the year 1986.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

The only team that picks Chelios up is desperate. It's time for him to move on from the NHL. If he wan't to keep playing in the minors than more power to him. He is just playing for the love of the game now anyway.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Chelios is useless for anything besides his experience. And, I mean, couldn't MDZ or Gilroy just call him if they need advice? Please Rangers, stay far away from Chelios. He skates like he's in quick sand. He's not good anymore... at all.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:58 PM
chip chipperson*

we dont need chelios. id rather have leetch speak to them throughout the year

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
we dont need chelios. id rather have leetch speak to them throughout the year
I agree with your view about Chelios, but I have to wonder about Leetch. I have seen absolutely nothing to suggest that Leetch has any contact with the Ranger organization.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote