HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"Way Back Home" - 10.8.09 - Nashville vs. Colorado

Old
10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hido View Post
How full was Sommet Center?
Definitely too many empties for a home opener, but I really question that box score.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:14 PM
predfan24

Thoughts from the game

- Mabye it's just me having selective memory but we seem to come out on the wrong end of alot of bad bounces and crappy calls the last few years. Arnott's waived off goal was laughable. I mean yes it was comical he missed the puck inches away from the goalline but he still looked like he clearly knocked it in while stopping. It looked funny but still, rules are rules. Pick it up Toronto.

- The good-

First line, I thought Horny was playing well before his goals. Overall very good play from them.

I like Goc so far.

Defense is very solid so far. The only glaring mistake I saw was Klein getting lost on that second goal.

The bad-

Erat. That whole second line hopefully can start producing some here soon.

Either Av's PP did very well or our PK looked very weak. Probably somewhere in the middle.

Tristian Grant. Get this idiot out of here. Played awful, has he ever heard of the interference rule before? Jeez he was bad.

Jones was non impressive again.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:15 PM
braindead

Random thoughts:

Ellis was very good tonight. Game saving plays included a point blank glove save on a shot from the slot and a toe save on a Duchene breakaway. I thought the first pp goal was weak even if he was screened, which I doubt.

Klein is insane. How many times can your first pass from behind the net be through the goal crease? He really baffles me b/c he has the talent but I'm convinced the marble machine doesn't work right.

I'm in the minority but I thought Legwand/Erat had a fairly strong game. Far from perfect but Erat looked like he was trying to make things happen more than his usual wandering with the puck last year. He had multiple strong backchecking efforts and that line generally was playing against the Avs' best.

Suter got taken to the cleaners just before our first goal... head fake, puck through the legs, shot on goal. Not sure who did it but wow. You can go a lot of games without seeing that.

Grant and Belak.... ouch.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Ellis was pretty great tonight. Two borderline highlight reel saves, the best probably being the sliding toe save on Duchene at the end of the first period.

the SLE line was great defensively, but looked clumsy\sloppy the entire night in the offensive end, especially Erat.

Hornqvist was a gamechanging force out there tonight...as Stranger said, even beyond the goals. This is the guy we were hyped about last summer...I'm really impressed with the WORK he puts in. Both his goals were the result of being glued to the slot and picking up garbage(or redirecting it, in the case of the second goal). Overall, probably our best player for the night.

I continue to really like Goc. I think that a Smithson Goc Tootoo line could actually be pretty decent on the fourth.

Hopefully we get healthy soon. Grant was terrible, and his second penalty was extremely frustrating. Belak is a liability every time he's out there, unfortunately. If he's not fighting, there's no sense having him on the ice.

Laakso struggled a little early on, but seemed to calm down as the game went on. He was responsible for a few "yikes!" moments.

The Klein\Hamhuis pairing was much better than in Dallas. Big improvement. The Suter\Weber pairing was obviously great, as well.

For the first two periods, it was like the puck wasn't frozen. We were missing passes, bobbling clears, whiffing shots...glad it looked a little better in the third.

I think we got the shaft on that no-goal. Arnott stopped, and his momentum carried him into the puck, which went into the goal. TC and Willy tried to explain that a distinct kick might not appear to be distinct, but that's ridiculous. It was a blown call, and had we ended up losing it I likely would have been pretty furious over it.

One final note...while it's extremely disappointing for a home opener that was pretty well advertised\hyped to only pull in 15K, you had to love the energy in the building, especially once the game was tied.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:41 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Im confused.

I know I read somewhere the other day that less than 1,000 tickets remained for the opener and now I am reading that right under 15000 were in attendance?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I know I read somewhere the other day that less than 1,000 tickets remained for the opener and now I am reading that right under 15000 were in attendance?
It definitely wasn't full, but I was shocked at that number.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
jstreet

Also

If you werent at the game be sure to GO HERE and check out the Preds version of the Miracle speech.

Old
10-08-2009, 11:57 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

My streak remains intact. Guess I better make as many games as possible.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Couple things before I go to bed...

Hornqvist was clearly the first star of the game tonight. Since the start of training camp, he has demonstrated a much better grasp of our systems and team concepts and has used his improved speed to make an impact in every game he's played thus far. Last season he had a tremendous work ethic, but didn't have the speed. This year with the improved speed (both in terms of skating speed and mental speed - decision making) he has been a real surprise player that has forced his way into this lineup.

Second, when Dumont gets back, no matter how good Hornqvist is performing, the SAD line will be reunited. The SAD line was guaranteed this summer by the coaching staff that as long as the three of them were in the lineup and healthy, that they would be playing together. Additionally, Trotz has almost always never allowed a player to lose their spot due to injury and will give Dumont his spot back. As for the promise, I really don't like the premise, but honestly I think it was probably made around the time of the Sullivan contract negotiations and if it brought Sully back into the fold...I can live with it...

Lastly, I'm not down on our roster at all right now, however it is painful to watch at times a lack of cohesion on the ice when you think about the players we are missing and their potential impact when they get back into the lineup. Thankfully though we're 2 for 2 and have gotten all 4 points available during this span. Will be interesting to see how we finish this stretch of three games in five nights. At that point I think we can start really assessing the roster for the first time with any true scrutiny. Till then, three of the four lines are different than what we projected coming out of training camp...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:41 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
For the first two periods, it was like the puck wasn't frozen. We were missing passes, bobbling clears, whiffing shots...glad it looked a little better in the third.
Maybe some of it was the ice, there was a bit of complaining.

Players said the temperature in the building was noticeably higher than usual, and that had a noticeable effect on the playing surface. “It was really, really rough,” Arnott said. “It was tough playing on that, but the other team has to play on it too. … You have to fight through that.” ... “It was hot out there, the ice wasn’t great, mentally it was like, ‘Holy cow, what’s going on here?’” Suter said.

City Paper Writeup

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:53 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

dehumidifier ... that is all

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:16 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Second, when Dumont gets back, no matter how good Hornqvist is performing, the SAD line will be reunited.
I don't have a single qualm with that, either, but Hörnqvist has forced his way onto the roster, as you said, and need something better than third line minutes the way he's playing. If Santorelli can't hack it, we'll likely see Hörnqvist moved to the Legwand/Erat line and Santorelli returned to the minors. We may still see Hörnqvist out there with Sullivan and Arnott on the power play. He's the kind of guy the first unit needs.

Furthermore, if Hörnqvist can maintain this level play on the second line... we have more than a decent chance at a playoff spot.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-09-2009 at 03:46 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:29 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I love when Arnott plays angry.

Hornqvist was great all night. He really looks good on that line. Hard work all night.

A bit out of snyc, bad ice made for some sloppy play. But they kept working and it paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Preds battle hard and come out with a 3-2 win, Weber with the game winner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Got the score right, just not the game winner.

Preds win, WOOOOOOOOT
Hey Shea Weber made the great shot to deflect it off of Hornqvist, so you really weren't that far off at all!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 07:38 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I thought a lot of the turnovers in the first and second were due to the Avs really clogging the passing lanes (smart play) and the ice. Hornqvist was unstoppable last night. If he plays close to that level this year he should be on the second line. Ellis was solid when called on. Duchene is one heck of a player, btw.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

My thoughts:

Ellis looked great. I will even give him a pass on that PP goal.

Jones has been very disappointing this early in the season, but he did draw a penalty and have a good shot on goal tonight. Guite and Jones caused some trouble in Colorado's zone. He also drew the ire of Foote which was pretty funny.

Horny, what can you say? Great overall game and got rewarded for his hard work.

Arnott, looked mean. Good for the love of God STAY MEAN.

Sullivan could of easily had two goals tonight had Mr. Anderson not been pulling matrix moves.

Klein still scares the poop out of me.

Nice knowing you Grant, cya in Milwaukee

Belak just about handed the avs a goal. We need tootoo back... I know scary thought right?

If Horny plays consistently at this level, we are going to see him on the 2nd line with Erat and Legwand. I suspect Grant and Jones will be sent down leaving the lines as...

SAD
Horny Legwand Erat
Santo Wilson Ward
Tootoo Smithson Goc

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 08:12 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
My thoughts:

Ellis looked great. I will even give him a pass on that PP goal.

Jones has been very disappointing this early in the season, but he did draw a penalty and have a good shot on goal tonight. Guite and Jones caused some trouble in Colorado's zone. He also drew the ire of Foote which was pretty funny.

Horny, what can you say? Great overall game and got rewarded for his hard work.

Arnott, looked mean. Good for the love of God STAY MEAN.

Sullivan could of easily had two goals tonight had Mr. Anderson not been pulling matrix moves.

Klein still scares the poop out of me.

Nice knowing you Grant, cya in Milwaukee

Belak just about handed the avs a goal. We need tootoo back... I know scary thought right?

If Horny plays consistently at this level, we are going to see him on the 2nd line with Erat and Legwand. I suspect Grant and Jones will be sent down leaving the lines as...

SAD
Horny Legwand Erat
Santo Wilson Ward
Tootoo Smithson Goc
Right now, the problem isn't Legwand and Santorelli so much. It's moreso Erat- right now.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
smitty10

How has Marcel Goc been so far for you guys? Is he better than you guys expected?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
lugnut76

I really like what Goc has brought so far. He isn't a guy thats going to rack up the points, but he seems to be a very solid and responsible player. He seems to be a quicker version of Radek Bonk. People who have attended camp and practice might have a better take on this, but he also seems to be a real leader on the ice. I noticed him pointing out the proper positioning a few times between whistles last night. My expectations for him coming in weren't that high, so I think he has exceeded my expectations a bit (keeping in mind we are only two games into a long season).

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Nitrous Mafia

The first period and a half was TERRIBLE.

I really think it's a game that Klein is playing. How many times can I pass it inches away from the goalie crease in one game? Sheesh

SC was pretty empty at puck drop, ridiculous, but it got better through the first two. Hopefully when the Titans are at 0-6 we'll get some more attendance.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
jstreet

I like Goc alot. He drives right into the crease and we need more of that.

Old
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
dehumidifier ... that is all

ummmmmm. dessicant dehumidifer--commercial.
2 million dollars... engineering survey done several years ago............won't ever be done.

I liked the way Goc played. I do think Goc, Tootoo and Smithson would be a great 4 th line.
Does Wilson get a start on the 3rd when he is ready--- with Ward and Hornqvist? If they rock, wow.
Klein..........fail.........where is his head?
Lassko--- deer in the headlights still, how long can we carry him?
Bouillon------great pick up. thank you

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:36 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can take a good look at a butcher's butt by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?"

-Tommy Boy circa 1995

Old
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I am just not sure I am going to like this Patric Hornqvist... he crashes the net and screens the goalie and tries to redirect pucks and get garbage rebounds. Just not the kind of Predator hockey I am used too...

(we need a sarcasm font in the worst way)

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Laakso struggled a little early on, but seemed to calm down as the game went on. He was responsible for a few "yikes!" moments.
Struggled? How so? And which "yikes!" moments? I watched the game from ESPN360s archive after reading your comments and tried to pay close attention to him, but I didn't really see anything like what you're describing... He had a problem in the 1st period with one bouncing puck (in a situation where he was left alone with two opponents), and in the second period he had one pass that was intercepted, but that's all I saw... Otherwise I saw a solid game from him.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
ummmmmm. dessicant dehumidifer--commercial.
2 million dollars... engineering survey done several years ago............won't ever be done.

I liked the way Goc played. I do think Goc, Tootoo and Smithson would be a great 4 th line.
Does Wilson get a start on the 3rd when he is ready--- with Ward and Hornqvist? If they rock, wow.
Lassko--- deer in the headlights still, how long can we carry him?
Bouillon------great pick up. thank you
then good luck on getting any decent upgrades coming to this team, if they know for a fact that the ice is going to be ****** on most nights

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote