HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minnesota Wild @ Los Angeles Kings 10/08/09

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2009, 02:23 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Smylitar!
I now have the name of an elf NPC I've been meaning to make for my DnD campaign.

/nerd

Old
10-09-2009, 02:31 AM
kopifan

Send a message via MSN to kopifan
The best thing about this group is that they show pride in playing hockey for LA. We always knew Kopitar has the talents, but the intensity was a big issue previous seasons. And boy, did Smyth bring that intensity out of him

I'm no expert in hockey, but I think Drewiske has a lot to learn on the PK. But I'm not worried about him, he seems like a smart player.

On another note:
I can now officially announce that my biorhythm and my subconscious are a diehard Kings fans. If I know that there is a Kings game at 4.30 AM and I decide to not watch it because of college the next day, I usually wake up anywhere from 4.00 to 5.00 in the morning. It sucks, cause then I HAVE to watch it

Old
10-09-2009, 02:34 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopifan View Post
The best thing about this group is that they show pride in playing hockey for LA. We always knew Kopitar has the talents, but the intensity was a big issue previous seasons. And boy, did Smyth bring that intensity out of him

I'm no expert in hockey, but I think Drewiske has a lot to learn on the PK. But I'm not worried about him, he seems like a smart player.

On another note:
I can now officially announce that my biorhythm and my subconscious are a diehard Kings fans. If I know that there is a Kings game at 4.30 AM and I decide to not watch it because of college the next day, I usually wake up anywhere from 4.00 to 5.00 in the morning. It sucks, cause then I HAVE to watch it
I really feel that this cannot be overstated.

Motivated Kopitar is 100 point Kopitar, as far as I can tell.

Old
10-09-2009, 02:38 AM
RightKinger

Scuderi surprised me tonight with some good passes. I thought he would be terrible with the puck but he isn't that bad. I'm really liking the pairing of Scuds and JJ.

Smyth and Williams are both very intelligent players. Williams did a very good job supporting the D tonight and making himself available as an outlet for the D. My favorite goal was the last goal with Williams making a nice pass right on the tape of Smyth who took the puck at center and got it to a speeding Kopitar going down the wing. They compliment each other very well.

Old
10-09-2009, 02:47 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

What a damn good game.

Post game story at http://www.lakingsnews.com/2009/10/l...wild-side.html

Quote:
One play that sticks out came about halfway through the opening period. The Kings were up 2-0 off deflection goals by Smyth and Williams, and the Wild were anxious to suck the momentum out of the building. The puck was dumped in behind the Kings goaltender, and took an errant bounce of the boards, shooting high up in to the air and targeted to land directly in front of the Kings net with a Wild player licking his lips at the goal mouth. Looking like an old pro, Davis Drewiske channeled his inner soccer player and chest-bumped the puck out of mid area to a safe area behind the net and calmly passed the puck around the boards. A little play, but an important one.

These types of plays were made regularly by every King. The penalty kill might not have been much better, going just 2 for 4, doubling the 0 for 4 effort against the Sharks, but this game was won on poised defense and a tenacious transition game. Anyone who thought a Terry Murray coached team could not explode offensively was just not used the damage a team that is always crashing the net can wreak.

The only thing missing from this game was announcer David Courtney, who had better things to do announcing the Angel's playoff game in Anaheim. That's right, I mentioned baseball. I promise it will be the last time.
I couldn't even cheer at the game. My jawbone was going numb from grinning.

Old
10-09-2009, 02:51 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Scuderi surprised me tonight with some good passes. I thought he would be terrible with the puck but he isn't that bad. I'm really liking the pairing of Scuds and JJ.
I think the best thing about Scuds is he's aware of his limitations and doesn't let confidence or ego try and prove they're not there, which is something I think Greene still struggles with.

Any time the outlet pass wasn't there, he'd always make the smart play up the boards. He also got the puck to JJ any time he was open, including leading to our first goal. It took him a long time to lock down a full-time role in the NHL, and he's simple but smart game is the perfect compliment to this team.

Old
10-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The 911 line is looking fantastic so far. Every one of those guys are earning their paychecks so far. Even Smyth! I 'd like to hear some Oilers fans comment on it after how much crap we received about the "massively overpayed, washed up" guy we traded for...
Why are they called the 911 line? just out of curiosity.

Old
10-09-2009, 03:01 AM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
Smyth's number starts with a 9
Kopi/Williams each start with a 1

I dunno where this started, and I'm not even completely sure that's where it came from. I just heard it for the first time myself today.

Old
10-09-2009, 03:02 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
94- Smyth 11 - Kopitar 14 - Williams

Old
10-09-2009, 03:04 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Their name will come, but it isn't 911.

Old
10-09-2009, 03:07 AM
RightKinger

911 line is lame.

Old
10-09-2009, 03:11 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Bailey's Buddies?

Old
10-09-2009, 03:12 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

How about they play more than 3 games before being given a name that will hopefully stick for several seasons of domination.

Old
10-09-2009, 03:23 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Great birthday present. Love how they were targeting that *** Clutterbuck all game after he ran Doughty. That guy dives worse than Brown and he is lucky Simmonds didn't break his face.

They are playing hockey and IT'S CRAZY TO WATCH!

Old
10-09-2009, 03:29 AM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Great birthday present. Love how they were targeting that *** Clutterbuck all game after he ran Doughty. That guy dives worse than Brown and he is lucky Simmonds didn't break his face.

They are playing hockey and IT'S CRAZY TO WATCH!
Happy Birthday!

Old
10-09-2009, 03:54 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
Happy Birthday!
Thanks man. Pretty drunk right now..no work tomorrow so i think i will fire up this game on the dvr and get more messed up.

Kings are playing hockey boys and it feels strange.

Old
10-09-2009, 04:26 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

JAR line.

Old
10-09-2009, 04:36 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Uh...we get it. You keep mentioning this nickname over and over again. The 911 line? I for one hope it DOESN'T stick no matter how many dozen times you try to force it.

Anyway, how long has it been since we've seen 5 on 5 play like that? I haven't seen chemistry like that on this team in at least two years. Let's hope Murray doesn't split them up the minute they hit a speed bump.
No need to be confrontational. As William H Bonney said, it is the best name suggested so far and it is better than typing "the first line" and "the Kopitar line" all the time. Your suggestions are welcome.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
10-09-2009, 04:49 AM
markisonfire

Guess who has the highest PPG in the league right now? I'll give you a hint, it is our top-line center.

Old
10-09-2009, 04:51 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
No need to be confrontational. As William H Bonney said, it is the best name suggested so far and it is better than typing "the first line" and "the Kopitar line" all the time. Your suggestions are welcome.
The "Pretty Damn Good, so Far Line".

Old
10-09-2009, 05:14 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: Kopitar Line Leads Kings Over Wild, 6-3

Frozen Royalty Audio: Kopitar Line Leads Kings Over Wild, 6-3

Old
10-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

SAW line.

There.

Old
10-09-2009, 05:53 AM
stebo

love the effort and energy

I don't wanna b*** about a great win but I thought I would point out that I still think Kopitar isn't shooting enough. He had 3 shots against SJ and 2 tonight against MW. The last attack he could have shot the puck straight at goal instead of trying to help Smyth with the hatter but that probably wasn't relevant at that point as the win was in the bag. That's just the guy he is, unselfish and a great teammate.
Don't get me wrong I love the line and their chemistry, I just think fo Kopy to get to the Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin level he ought to shoot more (5-6 shots a game would be more like it considering his great slapshot)! Imagine how many goals he would have if he'd just shoot the puck as much as Brown or Ovechkin for that matter.
Otherwise great win, great effort by everyone, PK will sort itself out sooner than later, as will Doughty who will soon become his old amazing self (the guy is just 19 so give the guy some slack).
But talk about a different and dominant hockey player - JACK's back!!

Old
10-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Ollie Weeks

K-Swill

Old
10-09-2009, 07:45 AM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebo View Post
I don't wanna b*** about a great win but I thought I would point out that I still think Kopitar isn't shooting enough. He had 3 shots against SJ and 2 tonight against MW. The last attack he could have shot the puck straight at goal instead of trying to help Smyth with the hatter but that probably wasn't relevant at that point as the win was in the bag. That's just the guy he is, unselfish and a great teammate.
Don't get me wrong I love the line and their chemistry, I just think fo Kopy to get to the Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin level he ought to shoot more (5-6 shots a game would be more like it considering his great slapshot)! Imagine how many goals he would have if he'd just shoot the puck as much as Brown or Ovechkin for that matter.
He's the leading scorer in the NHL (PPG). That means BETTER than Ovechkin. Get off his back. Jeez.

Oh, and yes, somebody does need to get hostile about 911 line because it's just plain annoying to have you keep repeating it...

Closed Thread