HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Burke's wife is working right now at CTV News Channel as a news anchor

Old
10-09-2009, 09:38 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

vCash: 500
DAMN Burkie, good score!

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Raptactics29

Umm, does anyone really give a rats ass where Burkes wife works? Good for her, way to tell that news Mrs.Burkie!!

Raptactics29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Hey guys,

Did you know that Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke's wife is working at CTV News Channel as a news anchor?

I saw Jennifer Burke anchoring the news this afternoon on CTV News Channel.

It is quite obvious that CTVglobemedia Inc., probably provided her with this new job opportunity prior to selling off their 15% stake in MLSE.

In my opinion, Brian Burke might have told MLSE that if they didn't provide his wife with another news anchor job opportunity, he wouldn't have accepted the Toronto Maple Leafs GM job.

What do you think?

Imagine that a news journalist gets a job in Toronto the media capital of Canada.

Next to the only reason Komisarek and Kessel wanted to play for the Buds to get on the U.S. Olympic team that may be the lamest tin-foil hat theory to date.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

I want to hear from Mike Gillis on this issue.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dybbuk View Post
Not only is he alluding, he's outright saying that he thinks it's all been a backdoor deal. I do remember Burke saying his Wife was in the East (not sure if she was working then or not) and that was a big part of coming to Toronto. AND, even if it was part of the deal. Who cares? I seen her on newsnet last night and she knew how to read the news.
I would love to hear from hockeywiz why this is a problem.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Mr_Fun
phil kesel fan

Quote:
Hey guys,

Did you know that Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke's wife is working at CTV News Channel as a news anchor?

I saw Jennifer Burke anchoring the news this afternoon on CTV News Channel.

It is quite obvious that CTVglobemedia Inc., probably provided her with this new job opportunity prior to selling off their 15% stake in MLSE.

In my opinion, Brian Burke might have told MLSE that if they didn't provide his wife with another news anchor job opportunity, he wouldn't have accepted the Toronto Maple Leafs GM job.

What do you think?
Alex Jones?

Mr_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
I want to hear from Mike Gillis on this issue.

There will be a write up in The Province tomorrow no doubt.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Cleets

She's cute.
Good job Mr. Burke.

Cleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

She's got a certain sexiness about her

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 10:59 PM
hockeywiz542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
I would love to hear from hockeywiz why this is a problem.
I am glad to see that Jennifer Burke is working right now at CTV News Channel as a news anchor.

The only problem that I have with her is the way in which she might have gotten this highly coveted news anchor job.

It seems as though her hiring at CTV News Channel was somewhat contrived and not completely spontaneous or natural at all.

If she was hired by a Toronto TV station that wasn't owned by CTV Globemedia Inc. such as City TV (owned by Rogers), I would be much less skeptical about the way in which she attained her employment and would have plenty of respect her.

However, since CTV Globemedia was still a minority owner (15%) of MLSE at the time of Brian Burke hiring as the new GM of the Leafs, the hiring of Jennifer Burke by CTV News Channel is kind of questionable in my mind. In my opinion, there is indeed a definite conflict of interest right here regarding Mrs. Burke's recent hiring by CTV News Channel.

Also, I am not 100% certain about what Brian Burke's true motives are for coming to Toronto.

Does Brian Burke truly want to help the Maple Leafs to win as many Stanley Cup championships as possible?

or

Was Brian Burke only motivated by the 6 year, $18 million contract that was offered to him by MLSE?

or

Is Brian Burke completely satisfied with just helping the Leafs squeak into the NHL playoffs annually by finishing in 8th place in the Eastern Conference every year and help MLSE to additional earn playoff revenue and profits at all cost and filling his own pockets with yearly playoff bonuses and incentives? Remember, Burke has already won a Stanley Cup in Anaheim, he doesn't really need to help the Toronto Maple Leafs win a Stanley Cup at all.

or

Was Brian Burke only interested in being located closer to his four children (live in the Boston area) from his first marriage and help his wife to land another news anchor job at a major Canadian TV station as soon as possible? By the way, did you know that Jennifer Burke couldn't find a media job in Anaheim or in the state of California?

Last edited by hockeywiz542: 10-09-2009 at 11:29 PM.
hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 11:17 PM
JohnnyO

Quote:
I am glad to see that Jennifer Burke is working right now at CTV News Channel as a news anchor.

The only problem that I have with her is the way in which she might have gotten this highly coveted news anchor job.

It seems as though her hiring at CTV News Channel was somewhat contrived and was not completely spontaneous or natural at all.

If she was hired by a Toronto TV station that wasn't owned by CTV Globemedia Inc. such as City TV (owned by Rogers), I would be much less skeptical about the way in which she attained her employment and would have plenty of respect her.

However, since CTV Globemedia was still a minority owner (15%) of MLSE at the time of Brian Burke hiring as the new GM of the Leafs, the hiring of Jennifer Burke by CTV News Channel is kind of questionable in my mind. In my opinion, there is indeed a definite conflict of interest right here regarding Mrs. Burke's recent hiring by CTV News Channel.

Also, I am not 100% certain about what Brian Burke's true motives are for coming to Toronto.

Does Brian Burke truly want to help the Maple Leafs to win as many Stanley Cup championships as possible?

or

Is Brian Burke completely satisfied with helping the Leafs squeak into the NHL playoffs annually by finishing in 8th place in the Eastern Conference every year and fill MLSE and his own pockets with playoff money?

or

Was Brian Burke only interested in being located closer to his four children (live in the Boston area) from his first marriage and help his wife to land another news anchor job at a major Toronto TV station as soon as possible?
Oh my god, who cares.

JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:12 AM
RobertKron

She was on CTV in Vancouver for quite some time as Jennifer Mather, obviously pre-Burke. I'd imagine that was probably more of a factor in her getting a CTV job than the Leafs were.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Theodoriph

Quote:

********. If she'd been hired by City TV, you would have invented a new conspiracy theory like you did this one. Except instead of CTV it would have involved the fact that City TV is owned by Rogers Communication which owns both the Fan 590 and Rogers Sportsnet, both of which have a vested interest in keeping up a good relationship with Brian Burke.

As an aside, City TV doesn't have a good news program. There are really only two major news broadcasters across Canada. CTV and CBC. Global is a distant third and City TV isn't even on the map. There are really only two and maybe three options for a broadcaster of her stature.

Theodoriph is offline   Reply With Quote