HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

new gloves, to wear or not?

Old
10-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
new gloves, to wear or not?

So I just came back from my LHS with a pair of new gloves. Ive got a scrimmage game later tonight (about 3 hours), and ive been working the gloves non stop for about 45 minutes now. The scrimmage is basically a placement test for this league, and while Im not the best player there, I can hold my own. My question is, should I wear my new gloves? I know people say that you should test your equipment in practice and not in a game, and I would really like to make the league (and im sure I will), but what are some things to expect when playing in new gloves? They claim "instant break in" and they feel fine on my hand, but im just not sure if I should wear them tonight or if Im over reacting on the subject.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Pog Form

If you're superstitious, stick with the old ones. Otherwise, I can't imagine they'll make a huge difference, really.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I'm not superstitious, and what I didnt think of doing at all was going outside and shoot a little against my curb/stoop

Old
10-09-2009, 03:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
If they're not ultra stiff and don't obviously need breaking in, go ahead and wear them. Usually gloves don't throw off much of anything as long as you can move in them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

so during the game I felt that they were in fact a little stiff, but I did put one home so I guess it was ok afterall

Old
10-10-2009, 02:33 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
so during the game I felt that they were in fact a little stiff, but I did put one home so I guess it was ok afterall
Well, that's good to hear.
Obviously this advice is coming too late but I'd have said it depends on the condition of your old gloves. If they're unusable then wear the new gloves. Switching to a new style/size could throw off the mechanics of your stickhandling or shooting so it's a risk to change before an important game or tryout. I've switched back to an old pair because the newer ones I wear were still wet, and then remembered why I bought the new ones in the first place.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote