HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer X:15 , 20 and 40 sticks

Old
10-10-2009, 09:37 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Bauer X:15 , 20 and 40 sticks

Anybody tried them yet? How are they?

I broke one of my sticks recently and am looking for a new one. Lighter than my One55 but not as light as the X:60 lol

Good puck feel and passing, durability, balance etc. etc.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
raganblink

x40 is best for ur money if you're looking to stay with bauer.

if you're willing to venture off, the reebok 5k is the best price point imo. definately worth a tryout.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Ribosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post

if you're willing to venture off, the reebok 5k is the best price point imo. definately worth a tryout.
What do you think about the Warrior Bentley? It's within that same price range as the 5k and x40. I am also looking for a stick in that price range (I could go to max of $100).

(sorry to hijack your thread OP, but I didn't want to make the exact same topic )

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:45 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Buy a wooden stick or a good composite. An entry level comp stick is often inferior to a good woody.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Ribosome

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Buy a wooden stick or a good composite. An entry level comp stick is often inferior to a good woody.
So what would you recommend?

The store by me had an SE 13 for $110, which is a little outside my price range but I have used my current synergy for a long time so maybe I should stick with them. Also, if the quality is that much better then maybe it's worth the extra $$.

Ribosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by raganblink View Post

As in the Snake grip? or the regular one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribosome View Post
What do you think about the Warrior Bentley? It's within that same price range as the 5k and x40. I am also looking for a stick in that price range (I could go to max of $100).

(sorry to hijack your thread OP, but I didn't want to make the exact same topic )
lol doesnt matter, I dont like the Bentley at all, its VERY heavy for a $90 OPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
the X:40 wont be considered an Entry level, and Im done with wood lol, the V04 i broke was wood

Quote:
So what would you recommend?

The store by me had an SE 13 for $110, which is a little outside my price range but I have used my current synergy for a long time so maybe I should stick with them. Also, if the quality is that much better then maybe it's worth the extra $$.
you mean the SE 6? its $100 here
or the Stealth S13? its not out yet

Old
10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
BLKHKhockey

Quote:

CCM V10 Catapult $100, Mission Titanium $100, RBK 7K $90, Vapor XXXX(not the same as the X40) $100, and the Warrior MacDaddy $120 are all MUCH better sticks than the 5k, x40, and the Bentley.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:20 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHKhockey View Post
CCM V10 Catapult $100, Mission Titanium $100, RBK 7K $90, Vapor XXXX(not the same as the X40) $100, and the Warrior MacDaddy $120 are all MUCH better sticks than the 5k, x40, and the Bentley.
The Vapour XXXX is $240 here so no way, the V10 is $150, the MacDaddy's $190...ON SALE

And I dont need comparisons to other stick, I need a testinmonial on the X-series of Vapours

Thanks tho

Old
10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I picked up a XXV for $70 USD recently, it's a great shooting stick, not the best feel. I did pick up and flex the new X: sticks and they felt similar, maybe a bit lighter than the XXXX, and the blades are probably going to be better.

If you're on a budget, I would buy a used tapered shaft on eBay (usually under $75 shipped USD but often a lot less) and then pair it with a tapered wood blade (usually $25-30 USD).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you're on a budget, I would buy a used tapered shaft on eBay (usually under $75 shipped USD but often a lot less) and then pair it with a tapered wood blade (usually $25-30 USD).
If you're going to do that, consider the non-tapered Supreme One95 shaft, which can be found for under $100. Replacement blades will be easy to find, and it's a great stick.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
AIREAYE

Thanks for the advice guys, but I dont buy online...and Im looking for info on the X-series...

Old
10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Why not buy online? Its much cheaper.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj41 View Post
Why not buy online? Its much cheaper.
Im still in high school, no credit card, unknown provider, shipping risks, extra shipping costs, dont want to give personal info online, long shipping time (shorter times = more $$) etc. etc

Old
10-13-2009, 12:42 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Im still in high school, no credit card, unknown provider, shipping risks, extra shipping costs, dont want to give personal info online, long shipping time (shorter times = more $$) etc. etc
You can get a debit card linked to a checking account, there are online retailers that are highly reputable, and there are links on a sticky at the top of this page. Personal info is secure for the respected retailers, shipping's not really that long.

If you need it immediately, then it's an issue. But if you don't need it for about a week, you're golden.

Let's put it this way: there is a reason online retailers are doing significant damage to brick and mortar retailers.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
You can get a debit card linked to a checking account, there are online retailers that are highly reputable, and there are links on a sticky at the top of this page. Personal info is secure for the respected retailers, shipping's not really that long.

If you need it immediately, then it's an issue. But if you don't need it for about a week, you're golden.

Let's put it this way: there is a reason online retailers are doing significant damage to brick and mortar retailers.
I'd NEVER use a debit card online... debit cards don't have the same fraud protections that credit cards do, and once the money's out of your account - the bank really generally doesn't care to put it back there.

At least a CC company provides you with some purchase protection and (admittedly with a fair bit of paperwork), will be willing to stop payments easier than the bank will.

I can understand where he's coming from, and while I make a fair bit of purchases online - I think some things I'd prefer anyway to go into a brick and mortar store and just have a feel for what it is I'm going to buy.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:38 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
I'd NEVER use a debit card online... debit cards don't have the same fraud protections that credit cards do, and once the money's out of your account - the bank really generally doesn't care to put it back there.

At least a CC company provides you with some purchase protection and (admittedly with a fair bit of paperwork), will be willing to stop payments easier than the bank will.

I can understand where he's coming from, and while I make a fair bit of purchases online - I think some things I'd prefer anyway to go into a brick and mortar store and just have a feel for what it is I'm going to buy.
And on the other hand, you can just close down the account or get a new card and invalidate the old one much more easily.

And if you get one backed by visa or mastercard, the protections are there. They're not backed up by law as they are on credit cards, but companies have very similar policies about liability, at least for purchases of over $50.

They're not a good idea for big purchases, but for a $100 hockey stick they would be fine.

As for preferring brick and mortar, I hear ya. I prefer it too. Seeing what you're getting is a great thing. But sometimes the price difference is too big, or some items may not be available locally.

It's worth a look anyway. Being Canadian he may have some issues buying from US based retailers, but weighing options is a good thing.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:12 PM
willyjagr

Send a message via MSN to willyjagr
Quote:
Anybody tried them yet? How are they?

I broke one of my sticks recently and am looking for a new one. Lighter than my One55 but not as light as the X:60 lol

Good puck feel and passing, durability, balance etc. etc.

You are going to be hard pressed to get any feedback about the sticks or any of the new sticks that just came out(S19, SE13, 8.08 ETC) as even for the top stores they just came in like 5 days ago with alot of stores still waiting to receive their sticks.

willyjagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:03 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyjagr View Post
You are going to be hard pressed to get any feedback about the sticks or any of the new sticks that just came out(S19, SE13, 8.08 ETC) as even for the top stores they just came in like 5 days ago with alot of stores still waiting to receive their sticks.
Yeah I thought as much lol, but If I could get a XXXX for around $100....

Old
10-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Ill sell you a xxxx for $100. I have two and have used one in warmups and I dont like it.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Hockeyfan68

A guy I skate with sometimes at pickup bought an X:20 as he didn't want to spend a lot of money on a stick after using wood for a long time and is escared of composites.

I picked it up and even the short length it was at seemed very heavy in weight. I wouldn't buy one, I am sure the higher end models for this line probably are very good though.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:45 AM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
If you're going to do that, consider the non-tapered Supreme One95 shaft, which can be found for under $100. Replacement blades will be easy to find, and it's a great stick.
THIS!

CanFan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
...the One95 shaft is $120 and an average wood blade is $22, I dont feel that its worth it, especially since I havent used 2-piece yet and dont really intend to

Old
10-14-2009, 09:08 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
...the One95 shaft is $120 and an average wood blade is $22, I dont feel that its worth it, especially since I havent used 2-piece yet and dont really intend to
I have thought about grabbing a two piece, I got a bunch of Montreal blades. Figure it would save quite abit of cash.

Dont know much about the shafts though, was looking at the AK-27 and Johnson (even though i hate Warrior, but i have heard that the shafts are more reliable then the OPS)

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 07:47 PM
BLKHKhockey

I personally wouldn't ever buy a stick from the new X series except the X60. All the others are price point and they feel very heavy.

BLKHKhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:45 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

The X15 feels like the Vapor XII, and the X40 feels like the XVI. Almost carbon copies when I felt them in the store today.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote