HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the league were to get replacement players, the Habs wouldn't be able to partake.

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Ace2000

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ace2000
If the league were to get replacement players, the Habs wouldn't be able to partake.

Hey guys. Read this up its an interesting article which explains why the Habs and the Canucks(or any Canadian team for that matter) might not be able to have teams in the NHL if the NHL decided to go with replacement players.....really suck...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3177986

this ones in french

http://www.chfans.com/in_comments.php?t=6816

Old
11-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Big ifs all around, but if it came to the Habs not being allowed to use replacement players in Quebec, then perhaps they could play out of Halifax, or Hamilton, or Winnipeg, or, failing that, anywhere that lets them play, really. Cleveland. Kansas City. Seattle. No worries.

Old
11-25-2004, 03:08 PM
bopeep

I don't know whether we would want to be part of any quasi-NHL utilizing scabs.

Old
11-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Big ifs all around, but if it came to the Habs not being allowed to use replacement players in Quebec, then perhaps they could play out of Halifax, or Hamilton, or Winnipeg, or, failing that, anywhere that lets them play, really. Cleveland. Kansas City. Seattle. No worries.

OR Thunder Bay!!!!!!

11-25-2004, 03:19 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
OR Thunder Bay!!!!!!
Better yet Toronto - We need a real hockey team here

Old
11-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep
I don't know whether we would want to be part of any quasi-NHL utilizing scabs.
I would. I'm almost to the kind of twisted state where I'd rather see the scabs than the regular players.

Old
11-25-2004, 03:46 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
I would. I'm almost to the kind of twisted state where I'd rather see the scabs than the regular players.
I'm not there... at least for now. I stopped caring about a month ago but I love following our prospects nontheless! Right now I'm trying to put the NHL aside and hopefully time will pass quick and things will resolve behind my back, and when I turn around, the NHL will be there

Old
11-25-2004, 04:56 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
No way!
I'm maybe a bit too possessive. But damn. It's our team, The Winnipeg Canadiens ? Wtf. You really want to move this team to Ontario ? I know I dont.

Pretty sure there could be an amendment to law.

Old
11-25-2004, 05:37 PM
tritone

This is nothing new , we've known about the labour laws problem from the first mention of replacement players .

First off, there may not be a replacement player league , which would make this discussion irrelevant anyway.

Second , does anyone honestly think that the NHL would not find a way to have Montreal bypass these laws? The NHLPA isn't a real Union so , there's definitely a loop hole in the whole "labour law" debate.

Old
11-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
No way!
I'm maybe a bit too possessive. But damn. It's our team, The Winnipeg Canadiens ? Wtf. You really want to move this team to Ontario ? I know I dont.

Pretty sure there could be an amendment to law.

Just nitpicking... But Winnipeg isn't in Ontario. Unless you meant Hamilton or that lost place where Darz lives.

Old
11-25-2004, 06:04 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Just to clarify - if it so happens that this infernal impasse still exists next year and the NHL, in it's infinite wisdom, decides that they want to reanimate the WHA of yesteryear, I say huzzah! Just don't call them the Montreal Canadiens.

Old
11-25-2004, 06:09 PM
goalchenyuk

it is not so simple about the replacement players...
i invite you to go to the habrus board ;there is more info about the laws and the possible issue of the move.

taken from the habrus board;

The issue of replacement workers could open another front in Canada, which delegates authority to provincial labor boards with varying standards and practices.

It is illegal to use replacement workers in Quebec and British Columbia, where the Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks, play. Owners could argue that hockey players in Canada are not employees but rather independent contractors who are not covered by the labor code.

Also, there are questions about whether the provinces recognize the NHLPA as a certified union, like the UAW or the Teamsters, which are protected from replacement workers taking their jobs.

"In Quebec, hockey players are not covered by the labor code," said Michele Poitras, spokeswoman for the Quebec Ministry of Labor.

- http://*******.com/6fa34

Old
11-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
it is not so simple about the replacement players...
i invite you to go to the habrus board ;there is more info about the laws and the possible issue of the move.

taken from the habrus board;

The issue of replacement workers could open another front in Canada, which delegates authority to provincial labor boards with varying standards and practices.

It is illegal to use replacement workers in Quebec and British Columbia, where the Montreal Canadiens and Vancouver Canucks, play. Owners could argue that hockey players in Canada are not employees but rather independent contractors who are not covered by the labor code.

Also, there are questions about whether the provinces recognize the NHLPA as a certified union, like the UAW or the Teamsters, which are protected from replacement workers taking their jobs.

"In Quebec, hockey players are not covered by the labor code," said Michele Poitras, spokeswoman for the Quebec Ministry of Labor.

- http://*******.com/6fa34
Thank you !

I was looking for that quote !

Last edited by Des Louise: 11-25-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old
11-25-2004, 08:41 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Just nitpicking... But Winnipeg isn't in Ontario. Unless you meant Hamilton or that lost place where Darz lives.
Yeah I know where is Winnipeg, thanks

Closed Thread