HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Saturday October 10th, 2009, 7:00PM: Atlanta Thrashers @ Ottawa Senators (NO TV)

Old
10-11-2009, 09:23 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'JESUS' Joe-Corvo View Post
Ahh, the forgotten one, good to see him play well and get a W.

FTR, I now officially want Fisher to fail just so Sensfan83 can get off his nuts for 30 seconds. Maybe then I can be on here annoyingly telling him how wrong he is even if I have to take the thread way off topic to do so. It's like he has a couple good games and we've got someone telling us we are all idiots for not thinking that he is the greatest hockey player ever and that Jesus is here to save us blah blah blah.
I want Fisher to succeed, it's much easier just to put his obsessed groupies on ignore.

There's praising a player but then there's making yourself annoying. He crossed that line long ago.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Puckhog27

vCash: 500
Fisher seems to be having a good start to the season. Sometimes players just bust out and have a good year even if their past season wasn't very good.

As for the Kovy comments it's kind of sad that he is always getting critisized for not working 100% whereever he goes. To me he generally makes his contributions to teams winning when all is said and done. One year he carried Montreal on his back and the next he practically willed a terrible team into the playoffs by going on a huge scoring binge at the end of the season. In reality I wonder how many players give 100% out there every shift like Fisher. You can look right to this team where top players are not always going 100% every shift. It's just that those players are not scrutinized ever shift like Kovalev is.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 09:39 AM
owa

To continue what the above poster was saying, I never got the vibe Kovalev was mailing in games or floating. He just plays a puck possession game and just doesn't look like he's trying. His defensive game has been good, and when we need a good forecheck or cycle game going, he's been game to help out the line. People are just saying he's floating because he's not getting a lot of points right now, but he's had a number of opportunities in the last 4 games to get some points, but he hadn't really gotten any until today.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 09:42 AM
paulica

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
Keep just sayin'... the reactions you get are a hoot.
I try not to react but it's soooo hard....how can someone be sooooo blinded by their love for a player??? it's ok to admit your favorite player has some faults...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'JESUS' Joe-Corvo View Post
Maybe thats the secret, Sensfan83 is actually a puckbunny waiting for her opportunity to get on his nuts without using her imagination and a computer. If not, I've never seen such man love before
Honestly, I don't think Sensfan83 is a chick. Not once in the GDT did he/she say anything about his looks...just how he was playing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The only thing that really matter is that in 63 playoff games, Mike Fisher has 23 points.
He is a heart player, and while that's good, it ain't enough for a player who like to think he's fit to be centering the second line. Fisher is the anti-thesis of clutch and without a doubt one of the biggest issues this team has if they insist on playing him as a 2nd line center: no team will win the Stanley Cup if they rely on a player of Fisher's caliber to center the second line.
Sensfan83 just loves Fisher because he gives 110% all the time, this is undeniable: he always skates hard, it's not often you'd be able to say "Fisher gave up on that play". Thing is, while the aforementioned aspect of his play is indeed desirable and commendable, he is simply not good enough for the position he wants to play.

That's actually worse than I thought it was...

paulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 09:44 AM
paulica

Quote:
Originally Posted by owa View Post
To continue what the above poster was saying, I never got the vibe Kovalev was mailing in games or floating. He just plays a puck possession game and just doesn't look like he's trying. His defensive game has been good, and when we need a good forecheck or cycle game going, he's been game to help out the line. People are just saying he's floating because he's not getting a lot of points right now, but he's had a number of opportunities in the last 4 games to get some points, but he hadn't really gotten any until today.
I think Kovalev is one of those players that looks lazy because for him it's all so easy...if that makes sense

paulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post

I was at the game, so here are my thoughts.

The Spezza line isn't working. Even if he isn't putting up points, Michalek is an effective player with his size and speed, but there doesn't seem to be any chemistry between them. The second (first) line was very good. Kovalev played well with them.

Don't let Picard's two assists fool you, he didn't play that well. The amazing cross crease save by Elliot was all a result of a misplay by Picard. When Kuba is back, he's out.

Kovalchuk was the most entertaining and talented guy out there. He is worth the price of admission.

Ellliot was very solid. Pavelec let in a couple softies, but Elliot can't be blamed on either.

Finally, Mayor Larry O'brien wears a #11 jersey with HIS name on it? That's like wearing #99. You don't do it.
This board is getting rediculous sometime. You blame Picard for being the only defenseman back on a two on one. Where was Carkner on that play? He got caught pinching in the offensive zone. But somehow, Picard gets the blame on that one. I honestly don't understand where all that hate for Picard comes from. He's been a lot better than Campoli and Karlsson thus far. No reason he should be scratched before them.

Senateurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:22 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
This board is getting rediculous sometime. You blame Picard for being the only defenseman back on a two on one. Where was Carkner on that play? He got caught pinching in the offensive zone. But somehow, Picard gets the blame on that one. I honestly don't understand where all that hate for Picard comes from. He's been a lot better than Campoli and Karlsson thus far. No reason he should be scratched before them.
It wasn't your typical 2 on 1 though. Picard and the Thrasher forward were skating together and Picard lost the battle for the puck. He didn't take the man and he didn't go for the puck. He looked like he wanted Elliot to deal with it. As a result it was very nearly a goal, when it was Picard's puck to take.

You could make a case that he's been better than Campoli, who I've been disappointed with, especially on the PP. Karlsson doesn't really figure into the discussion because of who he is. He can make some mistakes because people expect him to at this point. Picard can't afford to.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

True it wasn't really a two on one but I thought he took the man perfectly but the puck squirted out to Afinogenov.

I just think he played a great game for his #5-6 role. I'll be the first one to say he is not the most reliable guy in his own zone but I found the criticism he has got this year is unwarranted, especially after a game where he had two assists and no turnover recorded.

Senateurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
HSF

picard has been better than Camps and karlsson

i didnt see last nights game but apparantly he quietly got 2 assists.

I am thinking Karlsson might get sent down soon in favour of Lee

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:00 AM
enviro61

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
picard has been better than Camps and karlsson

i didnt see last nights game but apparantly he quietly got 2 assists.

I am thinking Karlsson might get sent down soon in favour of Lee
QFT

Karlsson is not bringing enough offensive production to offset his defensive liabilities. I'd rather have Lee up and I reckon Campoli would play better as well knowing he has a more reliable defender back there...assuming they are paired.

With our new seats, I am seeing a lot more Sens defence than I was previously so it's changing the way I see the game. Karlsson, Volchie and Carkner play right in front of me so I see their defensive play up close.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
pt_mck

Was at the game a few comments:

The team is getting better with each game

Elliot played quite well, he didn't have much chance on the first goal he was a tad deep on the second goal. Made some key saves. Elliot was tested a few times.

Campoli played quite well defensively, he made some good one-on-one defensive plays

Good to see some offensive chemistry developing.

Neil and Fisher continue to impress.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Firestar27

Happy to see that putting Alfy with Kovy seemed to work, I'm sure that line will put up a lot of points in the next few games!

Firestar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
Happy to see that putting Alfy with Kovy seemed to work, I'm sure that line will put up a lot of points in the next few games!
Its a very solid line. Fisher has no excuse to go long stretches without points with those 2 on his wings.

I'd like to see Cheechoo get a chance to play with Michalek and Spezza. At least give the guy a shot with top level talent before anchoring him to the third line. If he gets even a bit of his game back, that would be a solid line.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Was at last nights game, and the thing that stood out the most to me was how much the team was buying in to Clouston's system. EVERYTIME the D pinches in, a forward goes back and I'd say 75% of the time we were able to remain in Atlanta's zone.

On defense, the forwards are all collapsing and forced Atlanda to play a perimeter game, while making sure Elliott could see the puck. There weren't many shots where he was screened and the few times where he was, he was positioned to make the save.

I'm really impressed with Clouston.

Fisher, Michalek and Regin were dynamite and I thought Kovalev and Alfredsson had good games also. Spezza isn't showing up on the scoresheet yet but he's really contributing with his backchecking and creating opportunities. I hope he isn't to upset about his lack of production. It will come but he's playing a great game so far.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Fisher, Michalek and Regin were dynamite and I thought Kovalev and Alfredsson had good games also. Spezza isn't showing up on the scoresheet yet but he's really contributing with his backchecking and creating opportunities. I hope he isn't to upset about his lack of production. It will come but he's playing a great game so far.
Hopefully this is the first page in the Be Like Yzerman chapter of Spezza's career. If he can play well defensively, I don't mind his production slipping a little bit.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Kamina
Amok

I loved the highlight of the team sticking up for Alfredsson. This team looks very tough.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:26 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
QFT

Karlsson is not bringing enough offensive production to offset his defensive liabilities. I'd rather have Lee up and I reckon Campoli would play better as well knowing he has a more reliable defender back there...assuming they are paired.

With our new seats, I am seeing a lot more Sens defence than I was previously so it's changing the way I see the game. Karlsson, Volchie and Carkner play right in front of me so I see their defensive play up close.
This is very misguided reasoning IMO. Karlsson is bringing a lot of offense in the situations he's been allowed to play in. He's making great break out passes that are leading to nice rushes and our best scoring opportunities. These kind of things aren't showing up on the score sheet yet.

You also have to keep in mind that Karlsson is a PP QB. He piles up his points in those situations. He's had VERY little PP time so far early in the season. I think last night he might have had 20 seconds on the PP. How is he supposed to put up numbers if he's not being given the opportunity?

I was at the game last night as well and I agree with what most people are saying in their post game thoughts. A few things I would like to add are: Campoli had a VERY strong game defensively. He was surprisingly physical and made his usual smart poke checks.

Regin was FLYING out there until he got hurt/Clouston did his usual minute cutting in the 3rd. Best game by Regin so far. He was physical and skating like the wind. I really hope he isn't hurt badly because this guy can maybe challenge to get some nominations for the Calder (Filatov or Tavares will likely win it though)... Dare I say we have ourselves Aflie-lite?

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:28 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Hopefully this is the first page in the Be Like Yzerman chapter of Spezza's career. If he can play well defensively, I don't mind his production slipping a little bit.
They also continue to use Spezza in every key faceoff situation. You gotta love seeing that. On a related though, I remember when they were showing face off stats during the game at one point Fisher was 11-2

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:32 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
They also continue to use Spezza in every key faceoff situation. You gotta love seeing that. On a related though, I remember when they were showing face off stats during the game at one point Fisher was 11-2
Good catch, Fisher is now 58.7% in the faceoff circle this season... seems to have just added yet another dimension to his almost perfect game!

Did anyone catch the highlights on Kovalev's goal? Beautiful vision by a "vision-less" Fisher to set that up...

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:34 PM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Was at last nights game, and the thing that stood out the most to me was how much the team was buying in to Clouston's system. EVERYTIME the D pinches in, a forward goes back and I'd say 75% of the time we were able to remain in Atlanta's zone.

On defense, the forwards are all collapsing and forced Atlanda to play a perimeter game, while making sure Elliott could see the puck. There weren't many shots where he was screened and the few times where he was, he was positioned to make the save.

I'm really impressed with Clouston.

Yes

Clouston has made a key adjustment to compensate for the weakness on defence, he implemented a 1-2-2 system to keep forwards back to minimize exposing defeneman like Campoli, Karlsson and Picard.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:53 PM
4thliner*

I don't see what the big deal is with Karlsson role on the team specialy this early. He's got 1 pt in the 4 games and has been dong what he was suppose to do, MOVE THE PUCK. Sure the points aren't there yet, but thhen again he isn't being used on the PP a great deal. But he s still seeing 18:02 ATOI in the 4 games so far.

Those are significant NHL minutes for a 19 year old rookie no matter how you slice it. 18 minutes at the NHL level is a lot better for development than 25 minutes at the AHL level.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Minister of Offence

As Fish continues to get an opportunity to get to play alongside the most talented players on the team, different aspects of his game may emerge. Hes always been a beat along the boards and in the corners but hes been throwing guys to the ice like its nothing this year, hitting the net more, and hes flying.

This team has a long way to go to establishing itself as one of the best teams in the league again. I realize now how much I took it for granted that my team was one of the most dominant teams in hockey over a 5 year stretch.

I may stir the pot with this one, but for the best interest of the long term success of this team, unless this team settles into the top of the north east by mid season, I hope we start shopping Spezza. This has nothing to do with his lack of production so far, I was at the game last night and liked his game. Compare him to the other top flight young centers in this league, Getzaf, Toews, Richards, are we really getting value for him, will we ever? I really dont think so. Its hard to find those types of centers mentioned above, but holding onto Spez offers no chance at it. I seriously just dont see this team ever winning a cup with him. I dont question his talent, I question his drive. Before anyone mentions it, I realize it looks like hes been trying harder so far.
Thoughts?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Minister of Offence

4thliner, you make a decent point about his ice time. I didnt foresee that ice time at all. Id really like to know whats going on in the heads of Murray, Clouston, etc in regards to Karlsson. It seems like there really testing his weaknesses to see how much he can step up before they allow him to showcase his ability on the powerplay. Gotta hope Alfies training discipline is rubbing off on him, Im sure hes being fed to grow, which will go a very long way for him.

Old
10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
As Fish continues to get an opportunity to get to play alongside the most talented players on the team, different aspects of his game may emerge. Hes always been a beat along the boards and in the corners but hes been throwing guys to the ice like its nothing this year, hitting the net more, and hes flying.

This team has a long way to go to establishing itself as one of the best teams in the league again. I realize now how much I took it for granted that my team was one of the most dominant teams in hockey over a 5 year stretch.

I may stir the pot with this one, but for the best interest of the long term success of this team, unless this team settles into the top of the north east by mid season, I hope we start shopping Spezza. This has nothing to do with his lack of production so far, I was at the game last night and liked his game. Compare him to the other top flight young centers in this league, Getzaf, Toews, Richards, are we really getting value for him, will we ever? I really dont think so. Its hard to find those types of centers mentioned above, but holding onto Spez offers no chance at it. I seriously just dont see this team ever winning a cup with him. I dont question his talent, I question his drive. Before anyone mentions it, I realize it looks like hes been trying harder so far.
Thoughts?
So we trade away Heatley than Spezza ..and are left with 37 year olds Kovalev and Alfredsson?

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Minister of Offence

Yes sir, if we traded Spezza today, Alfie and Kovalev would still be in the lineup. Barring a fountain of youth, they would remain their respective ages.

If you think Jason Spezza will win a cup in Ottawa before Alfreddson retires in the next 4 years or so, just say so. Over the next 4 years, with the right trade, I dont see trading Spezza now would be taking us farther from the cup.

I dont think trading Spezza sends us into rebuilding mode, the extent to which I believe that would depend on the actual trade if it were to go down. Look at the top centers that have won the cup since, say... the lockout? Do you think Spezza has it or ever will? Its a radical idea, that I dont expect to happen regardless.