HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saturday October 10th, 2009, 7:00PM: Atlanta Thrashers @ Ottawa Senators (NO TV)

Old
10-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowenKarlsson View Post
So we trade away Heatley than Spezza ..and are left with 37 year olds Kovalev and Alfredsson?
And Michalek... but just Michalek doesn't sound very good. Hopefully some of Murray's picks develop into decent minor leaguers and can eventually jump in and try to steal a top 6 spot.

We also have Regin. Regin has been amazing so far, and it's going to be a blow to this team if he's injured.

Oh - and just to be clear, I don't want to trade Spezza.

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Gesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer View Post
You know what's really funny about you(besides your childish and immature comments every now and then)? That you're not even a Sens' fan. Might as well pack your bag and leave for Carolina, because the last time I checked, Corvo left 2 years ago.
Just because one of my favourite players was traded to another team doesnt mean anything, same goes for Vermette, Salo, etc. They were all great Senators at one point.

I've been cheering for this team since 96 when I first moved into town and got cable tv, the series' with the Sabres and Devils were my first real hockey memories, don't know what your beef is.

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:25 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I would trade any player not named Alfredsson on this team if it was in the best interests of the team but I don't see how trading away our franchise offensive player is going to help when most of the offensive talent on the team will be retired in the next 4 years or so... Not to mention the lack of depth at center when it comes to offense on this team. I don't see Jim O'Brien or Regin ever being a #1 center. You just can't win in the this league without strong depth down the middle... just ask Fuhr.

But I'll humour you.

At the Draft Ottawa trades Jason Spezza and a 1st round pick to Nashville for Shea Weber and a 2nd.

Then Ottawa trades 1 or 2 2nds (we'll have 3) for the rights to Marc Savard and give him one of those Hossa/Zetterberg/Franzen type deals to replace Spezza. You know Murray would love to make an Ottawa boi the Franchise player. Kelly is dumped.

2010 team:
Michalek-Savard-Cheechoo
Alfredsson-Fisher-Kovalev
Foligno-Regin-Shannon
Ruutu-Winchester-Neil
Smith

Weber-Phillips
Kuba-Volchenkov(?)
Cowen-Karlsson
Carkner

LeClaire
Elliot

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Afro Thunder*

****ing christ, you people are crazy, 4 games in and you already want to trade the face and the future of this franchise.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Gesus

It's a nice little hot streak, but we all KNOW Spezza will finish the year as our #1 center, with more points than any other center on the team.

As a team without a #1c for so many years (or a soft one in Yashin) trading ours is a ludicrous proposition.

Gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
****ing christ, you people are crazy, 4 games in and you already want to trade the face and the future of this franchise.
Take a chill pill Bill.

One guy mentioned it. Nobody agreed. The end.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I would trade any player not named Alfredsson on this team if it was in the best interests of the team but I don't see how trading away our franchise offensive player is going to help when most of the offensive talent on the team will be retired in the next 4 years or so... Not to mention the lack of depth at center when it comes to offense on this team. I don't see Jim O'Brien or Regin ever being a #1 center. You just can't win in the this league without strong depth down the middle... just ask Fuhr.

But I'll humour you.

At the Draft Ottawa trades Jason Spezza and a 1st round pick to Nashville for Shea Weber and a 2nd.

Then Ottawa trades 1 or 2 2nds (we'll have 3) for the rights to Marc Savard and give him one of those Hossa/Zetterberg/Franzen type deals to replace Spezza. You know Murray would love to make an Ottawa boi the Franchise player. Kelly is dumped.

2010 team:
Michalek-Savard-Cheechoo
Alfredsson-Fisher-Kovalev
Foligno-Regin-Shannon
Ruutu-Winchester-Neil
Smith

Weber-Phillips
Kuba-Volchenkov(?)
Cowen-Karlsson
Carkner

LeClaire
Elliot
If spezza was to be traded i would hope they could get more then weber as much as i like him i do think ottawa could get more then that.Aslo giving up a 1st round pick i just feel that is a bit to much for weber unless there are prospects comming back.You aslo can't just look at trades to get a player like savard your going likely have to give up prospects and picks.I would perfer to see this team go the other route and build for the future by getting high end prospects.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Whoa buddy, this has absolutely nothing to do with being 4 games in, if I was shortsighted enough to complain about something 4 games into the season, I would also be short sighted enough to say our 3-1 record is bound to be a perfect reflection of our record after 82 games . I said this last year, Ill say it 70 games from now.

I absolutely understand how dificult it is to find a top offensive center. I understand its a trade that does not just happen. You all say hes the face of the franchise, if the goal is winning the cup, I think thats a problem. Albeit a very dificult problem to deal with. Mostly for conversations sake guys, I do beleive in what im saying, but dont kid yourselves I dont expect it to happen, much less happen this year.

QuantumLeap, thanks for humouring me while I wait for turkey dinner. That pipedream set of transactions would suffice to shut me up. I threw this out there with little thought towards high end draft possibilities, players up for grabs, free agency, etc. The idea stirred the pot which was my intention.

My point remains though, I dont beleive Spezza will lead us to a cup, and I beleive to be a cup winner/while remaining a stable cup contender (which is the goal here), you need a top end center who can lead. Hope he proves me wrong.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:14 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
They also continue to use Spezza in every key faceoff situation. You gotta love seeing that. On a related though, I remember when they were showing face off stats during the game at one point Fisher was 11-2
Vermette used to take those, and sometimes Fisher.

I'm guessing Spezza is the center that the coaches are the most comfortable taking them now.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:36 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Yes sir, if we traded Spezza today, Alfie and Kovalev would still be in the lineup. Barring a fountain of youth, they would remain their respective ages.

If you think Jason Spezza will win a cup in Ottawa before Alfreddson retires in the next 4 years or so, just say so. Over the next 4 years, with the right trade, I dont see trading Spezza now would be taking us farther from the cup.

I dont think trading Spezza sends us into rebuilding mode, the extent to which I believe that would depend on the actual trade if it were to go down. Look at the top centers that have won the cup since, say... the lockout? Do you think Spezza has it or ever will? Its a radical idea, that I dont expect to happen regardless.
trading Spezza now means a rebuild in a few years, our offense will be suckage once Kovalev and Alfie are gone. Spezza and Michalek are the only things holding us from rebuilding in a couple of years.

i can say with great confidence that the sens wont be looking to move Spezza anytime soon (unless he wants to move lol). We still need stability down the middle cause after Spezza it gets sketchy.... can Fisher and Regin become our 2nd line center? that remains to be seen

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
The same people who hasseled Spezza about his bad defensive game a couple of years ago are the same losers who are bashing Spezza now. He's taken huge steps in his defensive game. The points will come, he's getting chances. All he needs is Michalek/Kovalev/Alfie to get in positions for him to pass to.

That's where Heatley came in, somebody needs to get in positions for Spezza to pass to them. Kovalev did it very well with Spezza against the Islanders and almost scored. If nobody gets in those positions than Spezza's points won't come.

It's all about chemistry, give time for Kovalev/Michalek to get used to playing with Spezza

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Minister of Offence

Im not bashing Spezza at all if thats what your saying. The guy has the potential to be the do it all first line center with the right mind set.

And to the people saying if we dealt Spezza wed have a hole at Center...never said give him away. Obviously making a trade with a return of a higher quality center then Spezza is far fetched. Obviously you deal the guy foreseeing replacing his position with someone better suited. Or else you dont do it. Theres no rush here. Say you get a high profile center prospect in return, say you get a top 5 draft pick and like one of the centers in the draft. No neither of these would step into the first line center role right away but in 3 years? Maybe. If you think were winning the Cup in the next 2-3 years your nuts, sure it could happen, but then wed also still be at risk of flopping the next year (a la Carolina Hurricanes).

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
owa

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulica View Post
I think Kovalev is one of those players that looks lazy because for him it's all so easy...if that makes sense
Yeah, that's what I was trying to convey. He's doing all the little things right, but because he's not putting up big points (who is on the top two lines really?). I believe by the end of the season he'll have 65+ points and some people will still be saying that he doesn't look like he's trying. The good thing will be that he'll have a lot of points, he'll have made those around him better, he'll be a good leader in the dressing room, and he won't have bad defensive lapses. All signs of a player who cares.

owa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
heatley_fan*

Spezza has played the vast majority of his career with Heatley on his line, obviously it will take him a while to adjust after losing an elite sniper on his wing.

The only question is how long it takes for him to adjust. Could take the whole year.

Last edited by heatley_fan*: 10-12-2009 at 03:11 PM.
heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote