HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is he a righty or lefty?

Old
10-11-2009, 11:55 AM
vyktor

vCash: 500
Is he a righty or lefty?

My 4 1/2 year old son has been skating for a couple years now and of course playing hockey on the floor for much longer. He has always held his stick right hand up higher. I can't say right hand on top cause he never has his hand at the top of the stick, and he often one hands it, constantly has to be reminded to hold it in 2 hands. The truth is he has always kinda held it at awkward angles, which I just attributed to him being young. Earlier today he grabbed it with his Left at the top and was shooting a ball like a right hander, it looked a lot more natural; then he switched back to the other way. So I'm not sure I should push him to shoot/hold the stick the way it looked more natural or let him continue the way he seems more used to / comfortable.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

I coach a tom thumb team and we have 6 year olds who still switch. I don't think it's a big deal, just don't give him a stick with a curve until it's obvious which hand he shoots.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Exactly, get him a stick with no curve. Over time he will use it more one way over the other (either lefty or righty) and you'll know what to get him.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Teach him to shoot with the opposite hand he writes. Much better to have your dominant hand as your top hand.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 05:06 PM
sabrefan2930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Teach him to shoot with the opposite hand he writes. Much better to have your dominant hand as your top hand.
I'm right-handed, but in every sport, I prefer my dominant (right) hand near the butt-end of the stick, so I shoot and bat "lefty." It's probably an advantage if I go to poke check with one hand, but it's not horribly significant. It's just far more comfortable for me. But on the flip side, plenty of people are able to survive playing hockey with their weak hand on the top of the stick.

This may or may not be the case with your son, but keep in mind that it's possible that a right-handed kid may be extremely uncomfortable shooting righty and vice-versa. I would say don't push him either way, get him a flat-blade stick and he'll sort it out for himself.

sabrefan2930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Exactly, get him a stick with no curve. Over time he will use it more one way over the other (either lefty or righty) and you'll know what to get him.
Indeed.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 05:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
Don't do this. It's much better to let them figure it out. There are advantages to both methods, and the correct one is whatever feels more natural to the kid.

Let him figure it out.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 07:12 PM
vyktor

Thanks for all the input. He has been shooting forehands with the backhand side of sticks and the other way round; plus moving his hands all over today, there are both RH and LH sticks laying around, so I' guess he'll figure it out.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
Thanks for all the input. He has been shooting forehands with the backhand side of sticks and the other way round; plus moving his hands all over today, there are both RH and LH sticks laying around, so I' guess he'll figure it out.
One thing you should do is make sure both thumbs are pointing down. Seems obvious, but at 4 1/2 they often need reminded.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:28 AM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan2930 View Post
I'm right-handed, but in every sport, I prefer my dominant (right) hand near the butt-end of the stick, so I shoot and bat "lefty." It's probably an advantage if I go to poke check with one hand, but it's not horribly significant. It's just far more comfortable for me. But on the flip side, plenty of people are able to survive playing hockey with their weak hand on the top of the stick.

This may or may not be the case with your son, but keep in mind that it's possible that a right-handed kid may be extremely uncomfortable shooting righty and vice-versa. I would say don't push him either way, get him a flat-blade stick and he'll sort it out for himself.
I'm a lefty and use a LH stick. It just feels weird using a RH stick though I can still use it.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm a righty, I shoot right. But I also play in net and I catch with my left hand, therefore my stick is in my right hand and I have to handle puck like a lefty.

All kinds of quirky things can happen.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
fearitself

Give him a wee little shovel and some snow and tell him to shovel it! (or dirt if yer not from canaduh). There you have your answer

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:21 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quick ways to figure out which hand he is at shooting...

1) Make him Sweep out the Garage
2) Have him Rake the Leaves
3) When it snows, Give hm a shovel and tell him have at it.

While he is doing this, you promptly grab a beer out of the Fridge and do your research. All those are the same motion as Shooting and will tell you which is his dominant shooting handedness.

As well as helping with Chores around the house it lets you relax with a tasty beverage....

Ahh Fear, you beat me to it. LOL

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:53 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post

While he is doing this, you promptly grab a beer out of the Fridge and do your research. All those are the same motion as Shooting and will tell you which is his dominant shooting handedness.

As well as helping with Chores around the house it lets you relax with a tasty beverage....

I wouldn't be so sure about those activities being the same as shooting. I'm right handed and I grew up using sticks without curves, ended up shooting righty (left hand on top) simply because it felt more comfortable. When sweeping or shoveling, I have my right hand on top for the same reason. Raking, I'll be switching back and forth.

Or maybe I'm just weird.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post

None of those requires the dexterity of playing hockey. I don't have a problem sweeping, raking, or shoveling "lefty." I switch back and forth when my arms get tired. I can only play hockey one way though.

OP, give him a stick without a curve.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Quakmybush

I'm just thinking about attempting those chores with the hand opposit of my hockey handedness (left) and I dont think I could do it haha.

Quakmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about those activities being the same as shooting. I'm right handed and I grew up using sticks without curves, ended up shooting righty (left hand on top) simply because it felt more comfortable. When sweeping or shoveling, I have my right hand on top for the same reason. Raking, I'll be switching back and forth.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
That is kinda wierd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
None of those requires the dexterity of playing hockey. I don't have a problem sweeping, raking, or shoveling "lefty." I switch back and forth when my arms get tired. I can only play hockey one way though.

OP, give him a stick without a curve.
Which way would you prefer to sweep though...Not that anyone wants to sweep or rake, or shovel...Shoveling may be a little stretch, but Sweeping and Rake definitely have the same motion of a wrist shot.

Plus i think you both missed the Joke anyway.....

go with a straight blade.....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
frito

As many have said, wgo with a stick with no curve. Even though you have both lh & rh sticks laying around, it's best to just go with a straight stick. This allows him to actually switch in the middle of plyaing which is where he'll really figure it out. I didn't get curved sticls form my kids until they had been playing for a few years.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
IniNew

Actually, of all three activities (shoveling, raking, sweeping) shoveling most closely resembles holding a hockey stick.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 11:57 AM
copperandblue

I agree that eventually a kid will choose on his own which way he prefers to shoot (which may not be his best option, I would be an example of that - I shoot left in Hockey, swing right in baseball and can golf either way) but if he hasn't got comfortable with either hand yet there is a way to determine what hand is best.

It was once explained to me that if you can do a dominant eye test for your kid (there are number of easy ways to determine on your own) then you want to shoot off of that side. In other words if his dominant eye is his left eye, he is best suited to shoot left and if it's the right eye then obviously the opposite applies. It helps give the player better control of the puck, more accuracy on his shots and so on.

Last edited by copperandblue: 10-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Gino 14

The best advice is to keep supplying the kid with a straight bladed stick and let him play. He'll figure it out on his own in his own time.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:11 PM
fearitself

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
Actually, of all three activities (shoveling, raking, sweeping) shoveling most closely resembles holding a hockey stick.
If you shovel one way and shoot the other, then you are just plain weird.

Or very ambidextrous (sp?)

fearitself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:20 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I agree that eventually a kid will choose on his own which way he prefers to shoot (which may not be his best option, I would be an example of that - I shoot left in Hockey, swing right in baseball and can golf either way) but if he hasn't got comfortable with either hand yet there is a way to determine what hand is best.

It was once explained to me that if you can do a dominant eye test for your kid (there are number of easy ways to determine on your own) then you want to shoot off of that side. In other words if his dominant eye is his left eye, he is best suited to shoot left and if it's the right eye then obviously the opposite applies. It helps give the player better control of the puck, more accuracy on his shots and so on.

intresting, i have never heard this before. Do you have any links or info that talks about this.

I cant really see (i know, bad pun) how a "dominant" eye would give you better puck control or accuracy.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
intresting, i have never heard this before. Do you have any links or info that talks about this.

I cant really see (i know, bad pun) how a "dominant" eye would give you better puck control or accuracy.
I'll snoop around but it wasn't an internet discovery - so to speak - it was a discussion I had with a hockey/fitness trainer.

The theory goes, as I remember it;

Your dominant eye will re-focus more quickly than the other one. So when you move your head left to right (for example) both eyes take a moment (however miniscule that moment is) to regain their focus. That brief moment is apparently enough to make a difference in terms of optimizing your coordination. That eye being on the puck side of your body apparently sincs up your hand/eye coordination more than the using the opposite hand. Or something like that.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote