HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New BEGINNER Player needs help w/ equipment

Old
08-23-2009, 04:22 PM
JayK47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If you don't believe me I can show you my garage full of sticks, shins, gloves, pants, shields, helmets, it's like a hockey equipment museum, mostly of bad purchases.

You make me feel so much better... I thought i was only one who spent thousands of dollars on hockey equipments.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 05:43 PM
malkintoews

Quote:
Shoulder pads-don't buy big, bulky football pads. You're not playing in full contact leagues, most shoulder pads are not designed with minimal protection, breathabilty or movement in mind-they're made to protect guys who do play in contact leagues. I'd try every brand on, cheapest to most expensive, best one to fit combined with price and function should be chosen. Same with shins. Some shins are too bulky, some just do not fit but you need to know what size to buy-very important. If they're too short and you take a slap shot you'll be in a world of hurt. I'd have somebody size you before purchase. Wouldn't buy the cheapest pair but you don't need the high end stuff either at your level of play. I'd use the same advice for a stick as well. You're basically buying blind, which is very difficult and chances are you won't like it. What curve is good for you? What flex? Depends on what type of player you are so if you don't know it takes experimentation. That's probably the worst (or best) part of hockey is that you spend thousands of dollars finding the right equipment and then tinkering as your skill level improves. If you don't believe me I can show you my garage full of sticks, shins, gloves, pants, shields, helmets, it's like a hockey equipment museum, mostly of bad purchases.
I definitely hear ya on the bad purchases. I'm a golfer too and have had my fair share of those. Thanks for the advice, I think I will definitely get measured up for the shins.

malkintoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
malkintoews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayK47 View Post
Yes, I do. I also play at Seven Bridges(Woodridge), Artic Ice(Orland Park), and Darien. I think Rocket ice has a best adult learn to play hockey program for the begginers. the class is not too big and intructor(Chad) is a very good teacher. he is willing to work with you more than other instructors I had before. also, rocket ice has best sheet of ice in west & south suburb area.
Sweet man, maybe I'll see you up there sometime. Good to hear that Chad runs a good program.

malkintoews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2009, 10:04 PM
jim lahey

Quote:
Shoulder pads-don't buy big, bulky football pads. You're not playing in full contact leagues, most shoulder pads are not designed with minimal protection, breathabilty or movement in mind-they're made to protect guys who do play in contact leagues. I'd try every brand on, cheapest to most expensive, best one to fit combined with price and function should be chosen. Same with shins. Some shins are too bulky, some just do not fit but you need to know what size to buy-very important. If they're too short and you take a slap shot you'll be in a world of hurt. I'd have somebody size you before purchase. Wouldn't buy the cheapest pair but you don't need the high end stuff either at your level of play. I'd use the same advice for a stick as well. You're basically buying blind, which is very difficult and chances are you won't like it. What curve is good for you? What flex? Depends on what type of player you are so if you don't know it takes experimentation. That's probably the worst (or best) part of hockey is that you spend thousands of dollars finding the right equipment and then tinkering as your skill level improves. If you don't believe me I can show you my garage full of sticks, shins, gloves, pants, shields, helmets, it's like a hockey equipment museum, mostly of bad purchases.
post a pic of all your gear lol

jim lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

vCash: 50
So, I was in a similar boat as the OP - hadn't played in over 15 years (basically pre-contact leagues), and deciding to start out playing again (rec league, no contact)...

Went out to Play it Again Sports and got myself a full set of gear...
Helmet: Bauer 1500 combo (new)
Shoulders: Bauer SP1000J
Elbows: RBK/Jofa (Blue Shield series.. XT? ASD is a marking on them, couldn't find a specific name anywhere)
Gloves: Jofa HG6550
Pants: Bauer Supreme One15 (new, they didn't have anything used in my size)
Shins: ITECH Techlite SG350
Skates: Already have some random CCM skates that I use for going out on the canal with in winters (but haven't done it too often)... figure I'll just get them sharpened up and use those.
Stick: Powertek Endurance SR (Flex 90). Think it'll come up to my nose on skates, wanted to go with something a little longer to start with - and the curve on it is fairly minimal.

Now I just need to remember how to tape up the darn thing, overlaps to force to the heel of the stick right?

Also realized afterwards I forgot to get a mouthguard, so I'll need to get one of those still too.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
So, I was in a similar boat as the OP - hadn't played in over 15 years (basically pre-contact leagues), and deciding to start out playing again (rec league, no contact)...

Went out to Play it Again Sports and got myself a full set of gear...
Helmet: Bauer 1500 combo (new)
Shoulders: Bauer SP1000J
Elbows: RBK/Jofa (Blue Shield series.. XT? ASD is a marking on them, couldn't find a specific name anywhere)
Gloves: Jofa HG6550
Pants: Bauer Supreme One15 (new, they didn't have anything used in my size)
Shins: ITECH Techlite SG350
Skates: Already have some random CCM skates that I use for going out on the canal with in winters (but haven't done it too often)... figure I'll just get them sharpened up and use those.
Stick: Powertek Endurance SR (Flex 90). Think it'll come up to my nose on skates, wanted to go with something a little longer to start with - and the curve on it is fairly minimal.

Now I just need to remember how to tape up the darn thing, overlaps to force to the heel of the stick right?

Also realized afterwards I forgot to get a mouthguard, so I'll need to get one of those still too.
Just tape the thing, its not a christmas present.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

And the stick is too long. General rule of thumb is up to the nose on feet, and really that's often too long. You'll suffer if you have too long a stick.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the stick up to nose on skates is pretty tall. it may affect your skating stance. i(not by choice so much but because they are my bros sticks) come up to about high chest on me

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
The 1000 year old hocky playing guru told me...

I started playing about a year and a half ago when my 8 year old son started in net.
I bought nothing but pro return equipment from play it again. at great prices except for my shoulder pads. I got sheer-wood shinny shoulder pads that are made out of quilted cotton which soaks up sweat and adds 5 Lb to them while skating.

I bought the pro return stuff because I'm older and wanted the extra protection and it weighed less than some of the less protective equipment and I got everything for a bit over $300 except my skates.

I have since bought RBK 3k shoulder pads since braking my right rotator cup off my collarbone at stick and puck (Long story involving a 13 year old skating backwards). I got the better shoulder pads for 2 reasons. 1st more protection, 2nd lighter and the material it's made of doesn't hold sweat or water so they don't get heaver while I'm playing.

As far as sticks go I have an older guy who plays hockey like the old duffers on the golf course that look like they cant walk then play a scratch game. He is amazing and he hassled me for a year to buy a lighter stick. I was using a bauer snipper and about a month ago I bought a vapor XXV (25) and it makes a huge difference. don't over tape the stick just a little on the end with a small knob and then tape the blade.

Just my 2 cents to add to the pile.

Welcome to the greatest game ever invented. I love playing Hockey even as an old guy.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

I'm starting with a taller stick to start with - I know how to skate, so if it doesn't feel right I'll start cutting it down.

Rather start with too long and cut it down than start with too short and have to get a whole new stick.

Old
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I'm starting with a taller stick to start with - I know how to skate, so if it doesn't feel right I'll start cutting it down.

Rather start with too long and cut it down than start with too short and have to get a whole new stick.
hmmm, how would you cut down a composite stick???

Surely not with a handsaw?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

a handsaw

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 06:03 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

Sure you can, tape up both sides of the cut and go at it. Its not a tree though, need to try and be abit gentle.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 508
I use my chop saw. Takes about 2 seconds.

Danrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2009, 09:56 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Hacksaws are generally considered the best since they have such fine teeth and make a clean cut. I personally use a foldable pocket camp saw since I live in a dorm. Takes a little more time and effort to keep the cut straight, but it saves me having to lug it to the equipment area for the D1 team or the shop.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Caeldan
Whippet Whisperer

Btw - what's the recommended way to clean equipment? Just soak it in the tub?

Old
09-14-2009, 12:32 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
I soak em in the tub with some detergent every few months. Then thoroughly rinse with the shower to get the soap out. Else risk it hurting your skin. As long as you rinse it thorough, no worries. Then let them dry out in a warm, dry place for atleast a day.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:46 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
For cleaning, get the drying stand for $30-40. It is worth it. limits the amount of times you actually have to clean the equipment, and eliminates a ton of the stench. They are dry usually the next day. I clean it once every session for mens league. If you have a front load washer, you can just throw it in there, if its a top load, your better off using the tub. The top loads can rip or break seams. Let them Air dry though except jerseys and that stuff.

Under equipment clean at your leisure. Or until you or your teammates cant take the stank anymore.

As for the shoulder pads from someone asked before, for mens league i have downgraded two times from the larger pads, first old CCM Utlras (Huge) to some smaller ones to the classic Sherwood 5030's. They are small, less restrictive, and enugh protection for non contact.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 08:19 PM
jmacie3

Hi guys, just noticed this thread and just started piecing together equipment also. I am a complete newbie to skating (have a pretty good pair of nike skates already) and playing hockey but I'm only 23 and pretty athletic so I hope I can catch on quick. My question is.

-Can I use lacrosse gloves/shoulder pads/elbow pads for hockey. They seem to look the same but I'm guessing some of the padding isn't as thick.

I'm from the chicagoland area and am looking into rockets beginning classes but Johnny's ice house is only a mile away and I heard their class is amazing so I might give that a try. So excited to spend some money and get some gear!.

jmacie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:26 AM
87vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Check and see if you library has a copy of Hockey for Weekend Warriors by Scott Noble

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Weekend...0642867&sr=8-1

I actually got it from Amazon used for like $4 but I see they don't have any cheap copies left.

The book is a pretty good intro to starting to play hockey as an adult, what gear you need, how to size it, what to expect for pickup games etc. It won't tell you what to buy, but will make you better prepared.
I used the same book when starting out last year. Good read!

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:44 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

Good idea, if you do cut it down too short you can also just add a butt end plug too rather than buying a new stick. I use the nose on bare feet but the best indicator for me that my stick is too long or I need to cut it down more is if the puck flutters when I take a wrist shot.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:09 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacie3 View Post
Hi guys, just noticed this thread and just started piecing together equipment also. I am a complete newbie to skating (have a pretty good pair of nike skates already) and playing hockey but I'm only 23 and pretty athletic so I hope I can catch on quick. My question is.

-Can I use lacrosse gloves/shoulder pads/elbow pads for hockey. They seem to look the same but I'm guessing some of the padding isn't as thick.

I'm from the chicagoland area and am looking into rockets beginning classes but Johnny's ice house is only a mile away and I heard their class is amazing so I might give that a try. So excited to spend some money and get some gear!.
I don't know what lacrosse gear is like, but I would imagine you could at least use the shoulder pads, probably the elbows, not sure about the gloves. I know some guys that use the smallest shoulders they can find (and one that goes without shoulder pads, even in a pretty competitive adult league) and it doesn't seem to affect their game.

I just started playing last year (I'm 24 now), you'll catch on quick.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkintoews View Post
Hey Guys, I apologize for the beginner post but, everyone has to start somewhere. While I'm a huge hockey fan I'm just beginning playing by taking an intro class and need to get all of the essential gear.

First off, any help you can give me I'd really really appreciate as I'm clueless because I haven't played before.

So, with that said what can I get away with buying used? What should I buy new? Also, I don't want to break the bank since I'm just starting but I do want equipment especially major stuff (skates) that will last me.

Again, I'm looking for skates, stick, all pads, helmet and while I could snag a mouthguard dangling from Patrick Kane's mouth I think I might buy one of my own.

Thanks for the help guys!
things to splurge on: skates (get them fitted) believe me. A good pair of skates can last you 10 years or longer, plus you don't want to screw up your feet or have them pinched while playing in a badly fitted pair. This is one of two areas I splurge.
The second is helmet. It kind of goes without saying, but you really do need to protect yourself against concussions. A high quality helmet will help with this. Plus, most beer leagues, guys tend to get their sticks up, so another good reason to have a good helmet/face shield.

the rest is pretty much up in the air. Depending if you are a defensemen or forward, that will dictate the size of your shoulder/elbow pads. With the exception of my pants/gloves, I am still using the same equipment I used 20 years ago playing high school.

Sticks: If you can find one, I would go with all wooden stick. They hardly break & they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the composites. Plus, I feel you can get a better/more controlled shot off. Personal taste.....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacie3 View Post

I would be very hesitant of using another sport's equipment to play hockey, no matter how similar they may appear to be. I have never played lacrosse, but I can't think that a lacrosse ball is harder than a frozen puck. I'd stick with gear designed for a sport & don't mix & match....

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:

they have stick extensions that are fairly cheap as well if you do plan on getting it taller...I am really glad to hear more and more people play hockey..

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote