HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Buffalo Gals" - 10.10.09 - Nashville vs. Buffalo

Old
10-10-2009, 09:52 PM
MemphisMTLfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
It's going to be a long year. Poile's hope when he signed them to the big deals was that they hadn't reached their peak. Apparently they had.

Erat's box score line is pretty.... 16 minutes played, zero shots, zero shots blocked, zero shots missed, for a total of zero anything heading anywhere toward the net. Oh, and zero blocks and zero hits. One giveaway. And the one positive stat, one takeaway.

Sweet.

Santorelli needs some help on that line.
My goodness! I was working a game tonight, so missed this but DAMN! I'm usually ride or die for Erat but I dunno about this.

How was Ward out there? How did his line look?

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 09:59 PM
OpenWheel

I was wrong, Erat had 18:15 of ice time, the 16 was even strength. He had over a minute on the power play. I hope there is a mistake in the box score myself. 'Cause that is one ugly stat line. I forgot the minus one also, so it's not all zeros.

Callahan and Daunic are on the radio defending the second line, saying they were matched up to play defense yet "got good pressure in the second period." And asking for Santorelli to step up with some goals. "You're not going to get much scoring from Erat and Legwand. Their strengths are skating and keeping the other team off the scoreboard. Santorelli's strength is shooting so he needs to get some goals".

Well, maybe if Erat and Legwand at least threatened, Santorelli's looks would be more open. Plus as badly as the team was outshot I find it hard to believe the Leggy line played great defense to get their minus one.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 10-10-2009 at 10:23 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:36 PM
predfan24

Obviously that was one boring game. Not only because of the lack of offense from the Preds but also the lack of flow in the game. Peks was great of course. The obvious concern is offense. When your 3 games in and one line has produced all your goals, well, it's not time to panic but their has to be some concern.

Tough way to lose a game and I was just sick to my stomach walking out of the arena.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
deleted

Before the flood of gdt opinions come, heres whats wrong. Trotz, 1 word. Plain and simple. I don't want everyone to read the 5 paragraph posts outlining players that have almost NO contribution to the outcome of the game. This team has players that can score, this is an undisputable fact. On any other team, on any other lines they would excel. The next time I see Tristan Grant or Jered Smithson on our 3rd line I'm puking on the person in front of me. And I hope it's not you. Santo just CANNOT put a point up in a regular season NHL game. And it's not his fault, it's Trotz fault. He needs to be on a line with unselfish players. Santo - Oreily - Jones is what the preds need. I'm tired of the bone sucking that goes on in "respectable" posters comments. Goc, how many more chances do you need, what was that 2 breakaways? Jones pass right in front of the net, Ward pass in the slot? 4th line, good bye. I for one can't deal with another year like last year icing lines that are a mixture of great offense and great defense. Cause thats how you end up with 1-0 games. FU trotz. Wake up. Give your head a shake. Whatever it takes to notice you don't have a team of All-Star 2 way players. Lets ice lines that compliment players styles. I'm not mad cause of a loss, this is 3 games of utterly terrible line combinations, YOU SUCK TROTZ.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:09 PM
redbeard7737

Is Weber playing well?

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:16 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
Is Weber playing well?
yes, but he needs to get a little grittier, imo.

he makes it look so easy, it's hard to tell if he needs more sense of "urgency" in his play........

it is shea freakin weber, after all.

edit: he is playing well, this was just such a disjointed night, and the sabre fans shrieking in my ear didn't make it any better. the whole team needs a sense of urgency.

predfan98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Erat in particular needs to be benched when Dumont is back. Watching him do the same thing he's been doing for years now...skate the puck through the offensive zone, around the goal, back up the boards, across the blue line, where he gets poke-checked and the rush turns back the other way-- it's getting old. I think he's bringing the entire line down, honestly. Not much Legwand or Santorelli can do when they don't even touch the puck.

On an isolated positive note, the Jones Goc Ward line looked good, and were at least creating sustained pressure in the Buffalo end, with a nice forecheck.

More than can be said of any other line.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Erat in particular needs to be benched when Dumont is back. Watching him do the same thing he's been doing for years now...skate the puck through the offensive zone, around the goal, back up the boards, across the blue line, where he gets poke-checked and the rush turns back the other way-- it's getting old. I think he's bringing the entire line down, honestly. Not much Legwand or Santorelli can do when they don't even touch the puck.

On an isolated positive note, the Jones Goc Ward line looked good, and were at least creating sustained pressure in the Buffalo end, with a nice forecheck.

More than can be said of any other line.
I'm still scratching my head & wringing my hands at the contract that was given him

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I have a feeling something is wrong with Erat psychologically. He needs a wake-up call. He has the highest salary of any player on the team this year, and he needs to start playing like it. I agree with Neck, he needs to be benched when Dumont gets back, but he won't, because Trotz never calls out veterans and will instead bust Santorelli's balls over the second line's lack of production.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 11:44 PM
predfan24

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I agree about Erat. He needs a wake up call, a demotion or something. At least when Leggy isn't scoring he still makes a big impact on the game in other ways. At wing Erat can't make that same impact.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
I bet the fanbase wasnt burning up the ol box office tonight

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 02:07 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I bet the fanbase wasnt burning up the ol box office tonight
Yeah, they were burning it down.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 06:44 AM
FinnGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Rinne is a very, very good goalie.

I love me some underrated Finnish goaltenders.

FinnGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 08:26 AM
RollingPredFan

Well the good news is our goal tending has been very very good. But most of us knew we would have trouble scoring. I'm afraid that's how it will be how it is all year long, we'll be in a lot of 1 goal games, just hope we win more than lose.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
yes, but he needs to get a little grittier, imo.
Weber's grit has been fine, he's playing the same way he did last year.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Before the flood of gdt opinions come, heres whats wrong. Trotz, 1 word. Plain and simple. I don't want everyone to read the 5 paragraph posts outlining players that have almost NO contribution to the outcome of the game. This team has players that can score, this is an undisputable fact. On any other team, on any other lines they would excel. The next time I see Tristan Grant or Jered Smithson on our 3rd line I'm puking on the person in front of me. And I hope it's not you. Santo just CANNOT put a point up in a regular season NHL game. And it's not his fault, it's Trotz fault. He needs to be on a line with unselfish players. Santo - Oreily - Jones is what the preds need. I'm tired of the bone sucking that goes on in "respectable" posters comments. Goc, how many more chances do you need, what was that 2 breakaways? Jones pass right in front of the net, Ward pass in the slot? 4th line, good bye. I for one can't deal with another year like last year icing lines that are a mixture of great offense and great defense. Cause thats how you end up with 1-0 games. FU trotz. Wake up. Give your head a shake. Whatever it takes to notice you don't have a team of All-Star 2 way players. Lets ice lines that compliment players styles. I'm not mad cause of a loss, this is 3 games of utterly terrible line combinations, YOU SUCK TROTZ.
How would you have done the lines last night?

Old
10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Laakso was dominated every time he was out
I completely disagree. I think Laakso looked fine tonight.

Old
10-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

Well I ended up not being able to attend tonight since I returned from Knoxville about the time the puck dropped, but from the sounds of it I didn't miss much.

WFOME, thanks for the hat tip, glad you got the centering figured out!

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 11:11 AM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I completely disagree. I think Laakso looked fine tonight.
He got hemmed in is own zone often, and considering he doesnt play much to begin with it seemed like it happened every shift.

Old
10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

It is really hard to watch a great goaltending effort like that go to waste. Erat is part of the problem. I am not sure Santo fits that second line. I have doubts he fits anywhere on this team as constructed. Maybe he could succeed in a different system. The second line's lack of production allows the opposition to line match vs. the first line and just roll against the other 3.

Defensively, the Cube has been better than advertised. Laakso is holding his own- he makes some mistakes, but then makes a pretty good play to help balance it out. Weber and Suter, well, we know what to expect from them.

I guess I allowed my hopes to get up after the first 2 games. Bad mistake. Still, one or two bounces and this one would have been in the W column...

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

At least we got a positive from this game... Pekka is back!

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 03:34 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

i had a blast watching that game last night. one of the more exciting 1-0 games you will see. this team has its issues, what team doesn't? goaltending, while it is good, the fact is neither one is a number one right now. defense has contributed to 5 goals against in 3 games, and out of the five, 3 or on the pk. ward getting back should help that a bit. if you want to dissect the lines, the arnott line was beat up and down the ice all night because of speed. you can't muck and grind a team like buffalo with their style because they will burn you. either that or you have to burn them. the legwand line has not been good offensively at all. again, 5 goals against in three games you really can't argue against. i think santorelli is gripping that stick a bit toght still and erat, already the puck hog, is afraid to give it to him. benching erat or demoting him isn't going to solve anything. yo can see the effort from erat. it is a matter of him putting himself in a position to succeed.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
He got hemmed in is own zone often, and considering he doesnt play much to begin with it seemed like it happened every shift.
My memories of Laakso last night were of him standing a few guys up at the blue line and keeping the puck out of the zone. He also was able to knock a few guys off of the puck. I hardly remember him getting "dominated" every shift.

Old
10-11-2009, 09:56 PM
jstreet

We could probably go on and on about this, but there is a reason that he is the only Dman on the team to have less than 10 minutes TOI at even strength.

I know he is a rookie and will take some time coming in to his game, Im just not a huge fan yet.

At the end of the day it just doesnt matter, defense is not our problem right now. We cant win 0-0 shootouts this season and make the payoffs,..I mean playoffs.

Old
10-11-2009, 10:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

We're 2-1-0 with 6 goals for and 5 goals against. Ward played his first game last night, we haven't been able to use Wilson, and Dumont was down for two of those games. I don't think it's time to be worried about whether or not this team is going to have what it takes to make the playoffs. Give them at least 13 or so more games.

On the bright side, our goaltending looks fantastic so far (save a mental error or two), and our defense isn't doing too poorly.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote