HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

Columbus adds Jovocop, still hunting top-6 scoring winger

Old
10-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Columbus adds Jovocop, still hunting top-6 scoring winger

The Columbus Blue Jackets have swung another deal with the Washington Capitals, Emerson's former team. Last season the Jackets sent veterans Martin St. Louis and Scott Hannan to the Caps for a package of young players and prospects; this time the roles are reversed.

Heading back to Washington are former Caps Peter Budaj and Kirill Petrov, along with Lukas Krajicek. (Emerson no doubt regrets keeping Budaj ahead of Mike Smith back in 2008; Smith has been strong in net for Tampa in the NHL, while Budaj has lost his starting job in Colorado to Craig Anderson.)

Coming to Columbus is veteran top-pairing defender Ed Jovanovski

"Ed's a total player", GM Doug Emerson said at the announcement presser. "He takes the body, clears the crease, moves the puck and can fire bombs from the point. If he keeps his game simple, he'll be a force for us this year."

This leaves the *edit* Jackets (not the Caps...) */edit* heading into the season with an enviable blueline including Jovanovski, Rob Blake, Colin White, Marek Zidlicky, Ladislav Smid, Mark Giordano and Kurt Foster.

"That's as good as any group in the league," Emerson asserts.

The team still has a hole on the wing, however, created when Nik Zherdev defected for the KHL.

"We're definitely in the market for help up front", says Emerson. "We may have to dip into our depth or futures in order to get the top-six playmaking winger we're looking for."

The Jackets may also have to get creative with the cap to fit in that kind of player: at $6.45 million, Jovanovski becomes the highest-paid player on the team, earning more than twice the combined salaries of Budaj and Krajicek. The Jackets' cap currently sits at $51.45 million, not counting the addition of a top-6 winger.

"I'm not concerned with the cap - I know we can make things work", says Emerson. "I *am* concerned with our bottom line -- we need to be more profitable this season. We're counting on part of that coming from a deeper playoff run, but we need to see better, more consistent revenues throughout the year. Hopefully, fans will like what we've done this summer, and will want to come out to support the club."

The new-look Jackets' lineup will feature as many as eight or nine faces who weren't with the team for last season's first-round sweep at the hands of the St. Louis Blues. Veteran additions Blake, Jovanovski, Saku Koivu and Nikolai Khabibulin will be looked to for leadership in the crunch, while rookies John Mitchell, Max Pacioretty, Nikolai Kulemin and Semyon Varlamov are also expected to make a contribution.

Last edited by Ohio Jones: 10-08-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Because I'm a dumy.
Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Dryden

Send a message via MSN to Dryden Send a message via Skype™ to Dryden
"This leaves the Caps heading into the season with an enviable blueline including Jovanovski, Rob Blake, Colin White, Marek Zidlicky, Ladislav Smid, Mark Giordano and Kurt Foster."

you are the GM of the Jackets

Dryden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryden View Post

you are the GM of the Jackets
Yes, keep forgetting that. And I read it twice before I posted!

Old
10-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I really liked getting Petrov back into the fold. Plus, Jovo was too old to be a part of the youth movement but still a very solid player. Big fan of the trade.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

... so if you've got a quality winger available who can play top-6 minutes for a good playoff team, drop me a line! (In case the original post was unclear ).