HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Wilson

Old
10-07-2009, 06:59 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
So, was that a setback from just last Friday when they said he'd be skating this week? Or does that just mean that skating doesn't mean anywhere close to playing strength, I wonder?

This blows. I assume it was a groin muscle tear than, and not a pull or a strain. I have no idea if the staff's training methods have had anything to do with it. But as someone said about that opening fitness test, it is suspicious since we then had several similar injuries. Especially as Wilson, who supposedly is a workout warrior, with little history of injuries, said it was so hard, and he'd never been through anything nearly like it.

Get to 100% soon Colin.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
But as someone said about that opening fitness test, it is suspicious since we then had several similar injuries. Especially as Wilson, who supposedly is a workout warrior, with little history of injuries, said it was so hard, and he'd never been through anything nearly like it.
Yeah, that was me and I still stand by that observation. The first day on-ice testing the team went through this season was designed to wear out the players and continue to push them to measure their recovery time and performance drop off. This year's team was the first team to ever go through the testing as it was developed over the summer by David Good with some consulting from around the sports medicine community, but without any actual testing data on it.

Colin Wilson, Joel Ward, and Ben Eaves still have not made their season debut's yet due to groin injuries and Tootoo made it one game before getting injured himself. Belak, Sullivan, and Jessiman also suffered from groin strains during camp as well. I think that is a significant sample size and brings up a concerning trend with the testing. The New York Mets did something similar with their batters during Spring Training this year with the "80 pitch drill" that Jerry Manuel installed this season and it is being analyzed now quite frequently by the Mets blogosphere as being a potential cause of some of the devastating injuries suffered by the team this season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 02:17 PM
predfan98

Ok, BFC, you've got the background. What do you think Trotz is talking about here......

"Preds coach Barry Trotz said Wil*son recently under*went a minor, non-surgical pro*ce*dure for the injury that should help him avoid further setbacks.

``He’s been dea*ling with (groin inju*ries) for a cou*ple years and we said, `Try this because it’s had good suc*cess,’’’ Trotz said. ``It’s just something that allows the natu*ral hea*ling pro*cess to take place. If it all goes well, he should have no pro*blem for the next 20 years.’’

........sry about all the *, they came up when I copied this.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Yosemite Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Ok, BFC, you've got the background. What do you think Trotz is talking about here......

"Preds coach Barry Trotz said Wil*son recently under*went a minor, non-surgical pro*ce*dure for the injury that should help him avoid further setbacks.

``Hes been dea*ling with (groin inju*ries) for a cou*ple years and we said, `Try this because its had good suc*cess, Trotz said. ``Its just something that allows the natu*ral hea*ling pro*cess to take place. If it all goes well, he should have no pro*blem for the next 20 years.

Where did you see this?

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:31 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Where did you see this?
Tennessean, Glennon's blog.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...etting-closer/

Old
10-11-2009, 10:07 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

``Hes been dea*ling with (groin inju*ries) for a cou*ple years and we said, `Try this because its had good suc*cess, Trotz said. ``Its just something that allows the natu*ral hea*ling pro*cess to take place. If it all goes well, he should have no pro*blem for the next 20 years.

Interesting. Might be a minor orthoscopic proceedure to help stablize the tendon from the tones of Trotz's quote. Muscle are just basically meaty cords of individual muscle fibers which like rope could be fraying at one point. Maybe, and I say MAYBE, the fraying is occusing at the bone and they scoped right at the bone/muscle intersection.

I say MAYBE because I don't have any idea on what Trotz means by "proceedure" Coach's tend to us fancy words for sometimes a simple thing. I just want a timetable for healing so I can speculate better. With the time that has passed and the rate of healing my mind says a surgery involing a scope.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:21 AM
thrillhous

The other thing that was interesting about Trotz's comments was that he stated that Wilson has had groin troubles in the past. My understanding, and I think I read this somewhere, was that this was his first groin problem.

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 10:10 PM
RaskMullet
Pasta Time !

vCash: 411
Hey BU fan here, just wishing wilson has a great season. I wish he would have played his senior season but good luck with him, you have a good one.

RaskMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

The mysterious treatment Wilson received is......

platelet-rich plasma treatment.

Yeah, I don't know what that is either. But you can read all about it herehttp://www.tennessean.com/article/20...910120326/1028

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:10 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post

Yeah, I don't know what that is either. But you can read all about it herehttp://www.tennessean.com/article/20...910120326/1028
Yeah, that came out of left field. I could see it because platelets are used in creating clots and begining the healing process but other than that I have no clue. We are still technically in the dark ages of medicine so if something like this comes out of the blue I'm not surprised. Though the new big thing in healing is over oxygenating injuries

Old
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
predfan98

Predsradio twitter just said WILSON is IN tonight.

Old
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yeah, that came out of left field. I could see it because platelets are used in creating clots and begining the healing process but other than that I have no clue. We are still technically in the dark ages of medicine so if something like this comes out of the blue I'm not surprised. Though the new big thing in healing is over oxygenating injuries
uh,.yeah..I uh concur...with all of that

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Predsradio twitter just said WILSON is IN tonight.
And Grant taking a one way to Milwaukee?

Old
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

PRAISE THE LORD!

Put him with legwand and erat!

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
PRAISE THE LORD!

Put him with legwand and erat!
No put him where Trotz wants him. This is one of those times where Trotz's roulette style lines will work for him. It get's interesting when Dumont comes back.

Old
10-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
No put him where Trotz wants him. This is one of those times where Trotz's roulette style lines will work for him. It get's interesting when Dumont comes back.
If we end up doing that, we might end up with Goc centering Arnott and Sullivan.

Stick wilson on the 2nd or 3rd line and PP time. Good enough for me.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:45 AM
OpenWheel

I think we should lure Bill Brasky out of retirement. Then we can roll a two-man line of Wilson and Brasky. And either three defenseman, or just have four skaters to give Brasky and Wilson more room to operate.

Old
10-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

I am guessing he will not play a ton. Maybe just break him in slowly. It has been over 3 weeks since his exhibition game....we will see

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post

The other rumor going around was Lance Armstrong surgery, where one testicle is removed from any competitor deemed too much of a beast for the rest of the field to be able to match up with. Not sure which one to believe right now.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm sure the platelet-rich treatment has to do with jump starting the clot/fibrin/remodeling process. I have heard of this being used in football before. It sounds to me like blood-doping for tissue healing rather than oxygen levels (see epo in cycling). <----I don't mean that negatively, just saying how I am wrapping my mind around it.

10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm sure the platelet-rich treatment has to do with jump starting the clot/fibrin/remodeling process. I have heard of this being used in football before. It sounds to me like blood-doping for tissue healing rather than oxygen levels (see epo in cycling). <----I don't mean that negatively, just saying how I am wrapping my mind around it.
Agreed, just stating the latest trend was hyperbaric chambers pumping in extra O2. I just wonder now if there is a plan to store blood for players for future use?

Old
10-12-2009, 05:38 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Would they need to store blood just for the platelets?

I wouldn't think so just for injury recovery. They can take blood at anytime to separate while a player is injured and their body will replace it by the time they are healed. I would think the only reason for blood storage would be "blood doping".

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:41 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I would think the only reason for blood storage would be "blood doping".
Could we get away with that? Just win baby...

Old
10-12-2009, 05:52 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I don't think that is something that would really be effective over the course of a season....it's more for single event type athletes. You have blood taken long enough before your competition so that your body has time to replace it then shortly before you put the blood back in the body. Iirc they separate the blood as to only put the red blood cell back. It gives the athlete extra red blood cells to transport oxygen through out the body.

You wouldn't want hockey players giving blood in the middle of the season.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Colt.45Orr

How did Wilson look in his debut tonight guys?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote