HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#5 - 10.11.09 | Anaheim Ducks @ NY Rangers | 5:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2009, 06:28 AM
  #501
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,975
vCash: 500
Must say I'm psyched after seeing last night's game, which was the first of the season for me (new work, can't stay up all night anymore ). I'm still pissed we let Sjöström go but overall very pleased with what I saw from the newbies.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:01 AM
  #502
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
I think we had 2 major injuries (Jagr's shoulder and I believe someone hurt their knee) and Lundqvist being fatigued after Salt Lake,
I don't think Jagr's shoulder really got messed up until the first game of the playoffs. And Lundqvist apparently had migraines from grinding his teeth at night , possibly from being overtired

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerskij View Post
- Chris Higgins. I didn't like the signing. He's been invisible in the beginning, and these last two games, altough he's tried, he's really struggling out there.. hope things will turn around for him
I dunno, he's getting chances and doing some good work out there, things just aren't going in for him. I think he's doing alright.


Last edited by Levitate: 10-12-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:28 AM
  #503
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
Definitely a solid performance...looking forward to what we do today now. Keep it going Rangers.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:42 AM
  #504
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
We definitely played a tired team last night. But Big Valley made the saves when needed, especially on that horrible giveaway by Rosistaal

Hank's turn to dish out the donuts tonight

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:50 AM
  #505
Kind of Blue
Registered User
 
Kind of Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
[Lisin']s got some talent, but i still dont see how you can play him on the 3rd over Kotalik. Kotalik is a legit 20/20 borderline 25/25 guy....he should NOT be on the 4th line...and clearly Avery is a top 9 forward, you dont put him on the 4th.
The Bottom Line.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
  #506
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Made it to the game last night and of course had a great time. But, one little piece here you won't find in other blogs. Got in early on a promise to make my girlfriend to see the city. We had a few friends with us. When we got off the train at Penn we headed out to the street. It's about 1:30 or so. As we walked outside of Penn, we see Chris Drury. He dressed up in a real nice suit of course. And there is a small paparazzi following him. He takes pictures for weveryone and then walks over the the parking garage. He was pretty much walking right next to us. Rather than mugging him for his autograph like the mini-paparazzi did, I just look over at him and sadi..."Go get em tonight Cap!"...He said..."Will do", and with that we parted ways, but...He walked inbetween the pilings which are underneath the overhang when you exit Penn station. Unfortunately, his suit jacket get stuck on the piling and he stops dead in his tracks to not rip it. Slightly embarrasing, but hey it happens. But...that wasn't the worst part. The pilings yesterday were all freshly painted!!!!! Which resulted in fresh paint all over the Captains new grey suit! I have to say though...Most men would have cursed bloody murder for just ruining thier new suits. Chris took it right in stride like the true professional he is. Even after the whole incident, there was another small paparazzi that ran up to him for pics. He stopped to take every one. That is something that many a player simply would not do.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
  #507
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
that just shows he has no passion and is a terrible captain (who won't let a little thing like getting paint on his suit ruin his afternoon)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
  #508
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,487
vCash: 500
lol, with Drury's big salary he better not be upset that his suit is ruined .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:21 AM
  #509
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
This is your doing, offdacrossbar. You spent months telling us how Lisin was the second most skilled forward on the team, how he's one of the fastest players in the league, how he's better than established players, how he'll surely flourish if used properly... You were really obnoxious with all the Lisin love, and as a result, people are going to judge the guy very, very harshly now.
please, thats just silly. his play has been solid. he skills are obvious. hes on the 2nd pp unit ahead of some pretty decent (and expensive) players.

and based on stats so far, hes been no worse than players getting more ice time per game. that says alot.

all along, i consistently defended his skillset- and by the way, offensively he has high end skills and i would say with his skating and puck handling skills he is the second most offensively talented forward on the team- against those here who procalimed him to be one of or all of the following:

one dimensional- clearly hes not

a defensive liabilty- hes not

lazy- ditto

all those "labels" he was given prematurely and i took exception to them and stated my case.

lets not forget that were talking about a player who was one of the most productive players in the league last year based on his toi and goals scored numbers. if you dont believe me- look it up.

what hes shown so far is a player with blazing speed, good hands, good vision, better than expected work ethic, better than expected physical play, and finally, just a better all around player than what was "advertised" here on this site by all the haters.

i also said that playing him on the 4th line with stiffs like brash and boyle would be a mistake in that he would get 3-4 shifts per period and thus his offense would be limited and his defense would be exposed. it looks like so far anyway, torts has agreed with me rather than you and we shall see what happens next.

question... what has kotalik done at even strength, 5on5, to warrant a spot over lisin on the 3rd line ?? hmm........ im waiting.

its pretty clear to me, after watching him the last few games, that torts may have sat him down and said the following.... " listen lisin, we need you to be more involved, use your speed, carry the puck, create time and space..... but we also need you to finish your checks, take the man, huslte back on defense and be responsible away from the puck".

from what ive seen, hes a quick study. hes doing all that and more. he seems to be concentrating on playing a type of hockey hes never played before while still trying to be creative.

only thing he hasnt done is bury pucks. yet. but he will and when he does, i expect him to go on a roll.

in conclusion, i will agree that the numbers with avery in the lineup dont make torts job any easier with lisin. i love sean avery. i think hes a he11ofa hockey player and he needs to play top 9 minutes.

having kotalik play in voros' spot and start all the pp's makes the most sense. kotaliks 5on5 play so far has been weak so far.

and lisin with avery and arty as the 3rd line will continue to be the best for this team going forward.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
  #510
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Avery was involved in several scrums, including one at the end of the second period that had officials separating him and Ducks forward Ryan Getzlaf as they traded verbal jabs.

"Avery has his own agenda out there," Carlyle said. "Some of the things he says to people, you can't believe."






Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
When Sean Avery was on the ice tonight, he was the best forward out there. The guy wins pucks in corners, hits, passes tape to tape and creates plenty of chances. Why on earth would you want him on the fourth line behind someone like Kotalik, who you even acknowledged is a PP specialist?

I don't know what else Avery needs to do to convince some people that he NEEDS to be in our top nine.
Very fair assesment 2K2. Avery's skillset and solid 2-way play alone makes him a Top Nine Forward.
I've sad it many times before, the guy opens space as well because he has a target on his back. He draws the attention away from the scorers on the team. You all saw what happened on the PP that Anisimov cashed in on.


And his physical play was missed as well... Great to have him back again.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:32 AM
  #511
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,769
vCash: 500
Awards:
offdacrossbar- I'm just saying, man, that there's a backlash against Lisin to some degree and it's because of how much you and a few others touted him leading up to the season. Some of the criticism is off base and unfair, I'll give you that, but again...this is an environment you created.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
  #512
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
He had Sbisa playing scared all night.

Either that or Sbisa just always looks like he's in over his head

edit: Kotalik has more even strength goals than Lisin

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:36 AM
  #513
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
crossbar, I almost feel sorry for you because you really seem to believe this Lisin snake-oil you've been trying to sell for the last couple of months.

Hes played like a borderline NHL'er up to this point. With the (crazy and unwarranted) accolades you're giving him, you'd expect him to at least be a consistent threat during his 10 minutes of ice time. The brutal truth is hes had 1 or 2 impactful shifts per game and been largely invisible his other 8-10 minutes on the ice.

I mean, your main argument is that hes not making any mistakes. Big ****ing deal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM
  #514
blue425
Registered User
 
blue425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
There are big differences between the start of last season and this season.

While I don't want to get ahead of ourselves here...

The writing was on the wall last year. The signs were there that the team would falter sooner or later because of the way they were winning those games early in the season.

They couldn't score. They were not really beating teams. They were winning games.

I remember people making the claims that the team would come down to earth because of the underlying issues.

And I still don't fully blame Renney. The team really had no finishers. They didn't have a PP QB.

Tortorella's influence is starting to show here. The forecheck and establishing the pace of the game.

They play as a team, not as a group of individuals. They are not only saying they are committed to the team and winning, but showing it with their effort.

And they have not scored less then 3 goals in any game so far. They have a PP QB. They have a superstar scorer. They give full effort.

Now weather they continue to win is another thing, but they are at least playing 100% effort and playing as a team.
This is a well thought out, accurate response. I spent all last season waiting for the other shoe to drop.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
  #515
gluvhand
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rockland County
Country: Greece
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Hey guys. Had a terrible time trying to find the game on the radio last night. Was the game not on the radio or just hard to find because of all the football and baseball being played? 1050 is still the Rangers station, correct?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:41 AM
  #516
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
offdacrossbar- I'm just saying, man, that there's a backlash against Lisin to some degree and it's because of how much you and a few others touted him leading up to the season. Some of the criticism is off base and unfair, I'll give you that, but again...this is an environment you created.
Is it really a backlash though? I havent seen one person call Lisin a piece of crap.

I see a lot of people calling it very objectively....that hes a borderline 3rd liner right now who very well might be a victim of the numbers game at various times this season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:46 AM
  #517
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
crossbar, I almost feel sorry for you because you really seem to believe this Lisin snake-oil you've been trying to sell for the last couple of months.

Hes played like a borderline NHL'er up to this point. With the (crazy and unwarranted) accolades you're giving him, you'd expect him to at least be a consistent threat during his 10 minutes of ice time. The brutal truth is hes had 1 or 2 impactful shifts per game and been largely invisible his other 8-10 minutes on the ice.

I mean, your main argument is that hes not making any mistakes. Big ****ing deal.
And he fired away at people like me who said they'd rather have Korpikoski......



Its still early for Lisin, I have a feeling he's gonna be more of a 2nd half player, but by then he might find himself in Hartford in favor of Grachev.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
  #518
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
And he fired away at people like me who said they'd rather have Korpikoski......



Its still early for Lisin, I have a feeling he's gonna be more of a 2nd half player, but by then he might find himself in Hartford in favor of Grachev.
Korp probably would have been a better fit for this team at this point. Defensively responsible and a guy you can put on the 4th line with Brashear and Boyle, no questions asked.

For Lisin to be successful in the NHL, he has to be making a consistent impact on the offensive end each and every night.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:55 AM
  #519
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
crossbar, I almost feel sorry for you because you really seem to believe this Lisin snake-oil you've been trying to sell for the last couple of months.

Hes played like a borderline NHL'er up to this point. With the (crazy and unwarranted) accolades you're giving him, you'd expect him to at least be a consistent threat during his 10 minutes of ice time. The brutal truth is hes had 1 or 2 impactful shifts per game and been largely invisible his other 8-10 minutes on the ice.

I mean, your main argument is that hes not making any mistakes. Big ****ing deal.
Absence of bad mistakes is the reason Lisin out there. His backchecking is exemplary, he is exciting to watch when he has a puck. Lisin needs that ice time to continue developing, to learn better playing away from the puck. Kotalik has maxed out as a player. I rarely agree with ODCB, but I am with him on that kid. Lisin has some similarities with Zherdev and may be, provided he gets as big as Nick, his replacement at some point whereas Kotalik never will.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
  #520
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
question... what has kotalik done at even strength, 5on5, to warrant a spot over lisin on the 3rd line ?? hmm........ im waiting.
Frankly, a lot.

He's been more physical (though neither of them is particularly tough, I've been pleasantly surprised by Kotalik's willingness to grind along the boards). He has actually scored a goal, and he has been at least as good defensively as Lisin has (recall that great defensive play at the end of the NJ game).

All in all, I have barely noticed Lisin on the ice for anything positive, outside of the pass he made that eventually led to Kotalik's goal. For a guy who has as much talent as you say he has (which I'm not necessarily disputing) he just isn't making an impact offensively, defensively, or physically. I'd venture to say that every other forward on the roster has contributed more than Lisin has in some way. Voros, Brashear, and Boyle have all done excellent jobs of roughing up and tiring out the other team for the few minutes they've been on the ice, whereas Lisin has been "meh" in every zone. He's been a waste on the PP (averaging over 2 minutes of PP time per game), where he has shown virtually zero creativity. The only time I've really noticed him make an impact on the PP was a play that led to the puck leaving the offensive zone for 40 seconds.

I would be thrilled if Lisin started producing like a madman and wound up potting 20 goals, but based on his current play, I see no chance of that happening.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
  #521
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
One thing that is starting to bother me is that Lisin is currently getting more power play time than Drury.

Say what you want about Drury, but he has been productive on the PP in his career. A little less than half of his goals come on the PP each season.

I know Torts preaches accountability, but I haven't really seen any reason why Drury shouldn't play on the PP. In fact, I think Drury has been playing well lately. He's not racking up points but he's been solid defensively, and he made a great centering pass yesterday while laying on the ice after being hit.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
  #522
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
You cant play both sides against the middle, 94. Its really nice to say that this kid could be good and needs time to develop. In fact, if Lisin came on the scene last season when our forward core was an embrassment led by a heartless dog in Zherdev, I'd have been in favor of penciling Lisin into the lineup every single night.

Time have changed. We are much deeper up front and as a result, I just think its a matter of time before Lisin becomes a victim of the numbers game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
  #523
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
One thing that is starting to bother me is that Lisin is currently getting more power play time than Drury.

Say what you want about Drury, but he has been productive on the PP in his career. A little less than half of his goals come on the PP each season.

I know Torts preaches accountability, but I haven't really seen any reason why Drury shouldn't play on the PP. In fact, I think Drury has been playing well lately. He's not racking up points but he's been solid defensively, and he made a great centering pass yesterday while laying on the ice after being hit.
I see it as a more of an audition. I mean, what else could it be? Lisin certainly hasnt done much to actually deserve the powerplay time.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
  #524
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I see it as a more of an audition. I mean, what else could it be? Lisin certainly hasnt done much to actually deserve the powerplay time.
One would think Lisin's PP time would decline after last night's game.

Avery and Anisimov played only 49 seconds on the PP and combined for a goal and assist. I think they have earned the right for more PP time after such a performance...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
  #525
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Hey guys. Had a terrible time trying to find the game on the radio last night. Was the game not on the radio or just hard to find because of all the football and baseball being played? 1050 is still the Rangers station, correct?
It was on 970

Also, I really wish Avery was a better finisher. It's pretty much the only reason why some coaches refrain from putting him in the top 6, and even sometimes the top 9. He creates a lot of opportunities though, so he's still valuable

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.