HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The Search (For Offense) Continues" - 10.12.09 - Nashville vs. Edmonton

Old
10-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
All you need to to part time Jones and Dumont and you'd have the "What Would Jesus Do?" line. Wow, I think you just came up with Nashville's next big thing.
I still wanted Satan on our team last year

Sullivan passes to Satan, Satan to Erat...

And Erat skates around in a circle before getting muscled off the puck

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
PredDave

Wow! I'm getting stoked about tonight's game...

I thought Wilson was better than sliced bread when I saw him during the pre-season!

Woot!

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Colin Wilson will center Jones and Ward for starters tonight, they are looking for 10-12 minutes out of him, and are easing him in
http://twitter.com/predsradio/status/4811913201

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
http://twitter.com/predsradio/status/4811913201
Colin Wilson will center Jones and Ward for starters tonight, they are looking for 10-12 minutes out of him, and are easing him in

I'm confused---did someone kidnap Trotz? This line actually makes sense!!

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
OpenWheel

"He’s been working hard. He’s a mountain of a young man so I think he’ll get it done.’’ - Trotz

Trotz said he's a bit behind now but ready to slowly work in.

Tennessean

"...has been skating for the past several days, and he participated in practices or morning skates the last three days."

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
DahTroop

I really hope that our 2nd line gets something done tonight. They need it bad. Also glad to see Wilson is playing!

DahTroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I'm confused---did someone kidnap Trotz? This line actually makes sense!!
Because the talent of the team is better than last year and frankly, a monkey flinging poo couldn't screw this up when this team is at full strength.

Sully-Arnott-Dumont
Santorelli-Legwand-Erat
Jones-Wilson-Ward
Hornqvist

Are all capable of playing on the 1st or the 2nd line and are built for scoring lines. Jones, Wilson and Ward are power forwards who can play on the 4th line if slumping. This roster is a lot better forward wise then last year. If they can score and cohere this is a scary team. Note, the defense has allowed less than 2 goals a game so far. All the offense needs to produce is 2-3 goals a game and it's getting a point a game.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Soundgarden

Can't wait for tonight's game, hopefully Wilson will help spark some offense.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'd have to guess lineup would be something along the lines of:

Sullivan - Arnott - Hornqvist
Santorelli - Legwand - Erat
Jones - Wilson - Ward
Smithson - Goc - Guite

Although there are several questions to ponder. Legwand and Erat had their best offensive shift of the night in the third period against Buffalo when Ward was on their line. Jones appeared to be demoted to the fourth line in the third period (he was not moving his feet without the puck on his stick), and then you have the question of whether or not you want an agitator or enforcer in the lineup?

Will be interesting to see how the lines shake out...

Edit: Trotz was quoted this morning by Glennon saying that if Wilson could give them 12 minutes he'd be happy with that. I assume he'll get PP time (he was called into the PP meeting on Saturday) and if so, that might only mean fourth line even strength minutes for Wilson or a rotation with Goc (who'll get PK time) on the third line...
SLake, I think you are more correct with the latter. Wilson will get the start on the third line and Goc will be rotated with him in some fashion. That said, if Wilson is immediately dominant and continues to feel good he might inch above 12 minutes.

That second line is an enigma. Mike Santorelli has looked pretty good offensively. Legwand has looked decent offensively. Erat has looked incredibly bad offensively. For the most part, Legwand has looked his typical excellent self defensively. Erat has looked pretty good defensively. Santorelli has not been too much of a liability defensively.

Now, all that said, Trotz has openly put the second line into a defensive role. That says to me that the top line, while playing "responsibly", has the ultimate priority to produce and (as such) has the freedom to take more chances in an effort to produce. It seems to me that the second line, however, must play defensively first as opposed to playing as a normal scoring line with responsibilities.

Given that, I wonder how much that limits the effectiveness from that line offensively. During camp and preseason, with an obvious concentration on offense, that line was incredibly effective. The regular season is certainly a different animal, but I think that this focus change has thrown the line off. Legwand is fine with that focus change- he's used to playing shut down hockey. Erat can play decent defense, but it really hampers him offensively. In my opinion, Santorelli needs to play a role unfettered from the primary focus (in other words, play a style equivalent to our top line) of defensive play. We see glimpses from him, because that line can only show small glimpses. I don't think they can establish any offensive momentum to let them shine. It doesn't help that Erat isn't playing very well right now.

When Dumont returns, and assuming no other injuries occur, there will be some significant line questions to be answered. Patric Hornqvist has earned some playing time. I don't think Mike Santorelli has played poorly and don't think he should lose his spot. That said, should Trotz continue putting the second line into the position of playing as a shutdown line (a typical third or fourth line's job)? If so, then I don't think that Santorelli is best served playing that role (nor are the Predators best served).

Given the goaltending of late, I wonder if Trotz will open things up a little bit. If nothing else, being more aggessive should help the constant fatigue of playing on tilted ice.

If it were me, and I'm certainly no coach, when everyone was healthy, I'd do one of two things: set Jones and move Hornqvist to the third line or set Erat and move Hornqvist to the second line (temporarily). Regardless, I'd give that second line more freedom to take chances. They have the speed to recover from some of those chances where the first line doesn't.

Thoughts?

David Singleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Thoughts?
Santorelli is here to score goals and create offense. If he is not getting results and not generating consistent opportunities for his linemates to do so, he is the one that'll be shuffled...

When Dumont returns, if Jones clicks with Wilson and Ward, then I think Santorelli might be shuffled out of the lineup. However, if Jones is still not showing a consistent work ethic, then I think you could see Hornqvist slotted with Legwand and Erat and Santorelli with Wilson and Ward.

It will definitely be interesting to see how we continue to reshape the roster as we get healthy. A lot of battles within the team for playing time and that can only be a good thing...

Old
10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

So is Rinne for in net tonight?

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
So is Rinne for in net tonight?
Yes, you should set Rinne as your fantasy hockey team starter both tonight and Thursday night against Chicago. Ellis will start Wednesday at Dallas and Saturday at Washington...

Old
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Santorelli is here to score goals and create offense. If he is not getting results and not generating consistent opportunities for his linemates to do so, he is the one that'll be shuffled...

When Dumont returns, if Jones clicks with Wilson and Ward, then I think Santorelli might be shuffled out of the lineup. However, if Jones is still not showing a consistent work ethic, then I think you could see Hornqvist slotted with Legwand and Erat and Santorelli with Wilson and Ward.

It will definitely be interesting to see how we continue to reshape the roster as we get healthy. A lot of battles within the team for playing time and that can only be a good thing...
Interesting. In a sense I understand and agree. However you don't put anyone on the roster to "score goals and create offense" only to give them primary shut down responsibilities. In that sense I agree with you (which is why I said that if the second line's shut down role is permanent then Santorelli doesn't help that line, nor Santorelli himself).

Not that I'm comparing Sullivan and Dumont to Santorelli in terms of results, but they are all offense-first type players. You wouldn't charge Sullivan and Dumont with the task of shutting down the opposition's top line, nor should you do so with Santorelli. That said, shutting down the opposition's top line probably shouldn't be the role of the second line either.

The gist of my original response was the apparent role reversal for the second line from camp/preseason to regular season and its effects/results. I don't know if that role reversal is just my perception (although Trotz's comments seem to support my perception), or is an effort to compensate for injuries.

Ultimately, if the second line is going to be shut down line, then Santorelli is not the right player for that line. That said, expecting significant production from a second line operating in a shut down capacity seems to be foolish.

I suspect that Trotz's comments regarding the second line's defensive focus indicates that it isn't a permanent role and that he give more freedom to that line.

Old
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Twitter reports coming in saying that the Bulin wall will not start for the Oil

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Twitter reports coming in saying that the Bulin wall will not start for the Oil
Correct, JDD (you try spelling his hyphenated last name without looking it up! ) will start for the Oilers in net...

Old
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I suspect that Trotz's comments regarding the second line's defensive focus indicates that it isn't a permanent role and that he give more freedom to that line.
No, I agree. It is not fair to Santorelli, but that's the way it has shaken out. I think even as soon as tonight we might see a full-on checking line that might relieve some of that responsibility for the second line to play in a shut down role and free them up offensively.

The problem tonight though is if Quinn dresses Stortini, are we forced into dressing Belak? If so, I could see the bottom six getting quite the jumble as the game goes on. WWJ will start as the third line tonight, but Goc will start rotating in there at even strength and if Stortini gets limited minutes, then Belak will get limited minutes and add in Wilson being limited to around 12-14 minutes himself and the bottom six tonight could really turn into quite a jumble tonight with five guys rotating in and out...

Old
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
thrillhous

Wow, surprised and happy to see Wilson is in tonight. Looking forward to seeing him.

OP, just want to point out that you have Derek Roy listed as Edmonton's PP points leader.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I think I might be more excited for this game than I am for opening night

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
deleted

I'd rather have Santo start on the 3rd with wilson and jones. Ward on the 2nd. But Trotz will probably ice Smithson, Wilson, Ward as the 3rd line. Then when we see no production he'll move Wilson down and try Smithson, Goc, Ward. With belak and wilson in 2 need to sit out. Jones, Grant and Guite are the most likely. With Jones and Grant taking the night off. Hopefully I'm wrong.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
I'd rather have Santo start on the 3rd with wilson and jones. Ward on the 2nd. But Trotz will probably ice Smithson, Wilson, Ward as the 3rd line. Then when we see no production he'll move Wilson down and try Smithson, Goc, Ward. With belak and wilson in 2 need to sit out. Jones, Grant and Guite are the most likely. With Jones and Grant taking the night off. Hopefully I'm wrong.
"Slanted" is quite the accurate name, but "Agenda" would probably be even moreso...

Wilson is starting the game with Jones and Ward and is limited to around 12-14 minutes tonight. Goc and Smithson will see plenty of ice time as well.

Trotz saw what I did in training camp, the combination of WWJ was the best line at any point in training camp. He is gonna give them a shot to see if they can reconnect and produce before jumbling the second line.

If we dress Belak to pound Stortini tonight, there will be a lot of jumbling amongst the bottom six, but that's what happens normally for any team when you dress a goon...

Old
10-12-2009, 03:57 PM
ChaoticOrange

Hi Preds fans. I usually lurk around the Oiler board, but, I gotta say, worstfaceoffmaneuver, you make a stellar GDT. Keep up the good work!

ChaoticOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
While Santorelli paired with Jones and Wilson might work, it makes the least amount of sense. Santorelli is a pure offensive player, like Dumont and Sullivan. Santorelli will be best suited playing on a line whose primary purpose is to score goals- like our top line. Paired with Legwand and Erat during camp, that line did just that.

As SLake said, in camp the JWW line was pretty dominant as they were in their only preseason game together. That said, the ELS and SAD lines were also very good in camp/preseason.

Some line shuffling will likely occur if Hornqvist continues playing well, but to whom and to where will be interesting to watch.

Old
deleted

Did Trotz say that was the starting 3rd line? or was this just speculated from the morning skate. Cause from the past we know the morning skate doesn't determine the game time lines. And I just can't see that 3rd line from what we've been seeing the first 3 games. I'm already losing all hope of Trotz trying to get goals this season.

Old
JussiM

Woo, looks like there should be a free stream available, looking forward to Wilson's debut. See you all at 3:00 AM.

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
deleted

Quote:
While Santorelli paired with Jones and Wilson might work, it makes the least amount of sense. Santorelli is a pure offensive player, like Dumont and Sullivan. Santorelli will be best suited playing on a line whose primary purpose is to score goals- like our top line. Paired with Legwand and Erat during camp, that line did just that.

As SLake said, in camp the JWW line was pretty dominant as they were in their only preseason game together. That said, the ELS and SAD lines were also very good in camp/preseason.

Some line shuffling will likely occur if Hornqvist continues playing well, but to whom and to where will be interesting to watch.
Exactly, and the 2nd line is either not being used as offense, or Erat + Leggy ultimately equal no offense. Jones and Santorelli were Dominant their first preseason/rookie games/and the AHL together. Which is why I would like to see them together.