HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

(#6): 10/12/2009 Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers 7:00pm MSG (HD)

Old
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
This is down right pathethic. I've never heard people bicker about two backround players like Brashear and Orr in my life. Seriously, move on people. Brashear is wearing our uniform now and thats that. Enough of this bull already.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

toronto has one really aweful lineup.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:19 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I hope Brashear kicks Orr's ass and tons of people cryyyyyyy.
Agreed.

That said I will be embarrassed at the Garden tonight if Orr wins and the crowd cheers. Go put on a leaf jersey if you hate one of our own players that much.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:26 PM
ak10r
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Agreed.

That said I will be embarrassed at the Garden tonight if Orr wins and the crowd cheers. Go put on a leaf jersey if you hate one of our own players that much.
That would be pathetic....

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:33 PM
NYR Viper

You have to know they will go at it. Hope Brashear wins convincingly.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Agreed.

If that happens, it will one of the few moments/instances of me being embarrassed to be a ranger's fans =/

But the moment will pass and blue blood will continue coursing through my veins

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 12:52 PM
TheGardenFaithful

Tickets for the game

Selling 2 tickets for tonight's game. Section 228, Row D, Seats 7-8. Selling for face value of $95.

If interested, please send email to Joey@Section400.com

I can email tickets asap. Payment can be made via PayPal.

Let's go Rangers!!!!

TheGardenFaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:11 PM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Sounds reasonable, but honestly I don't feel too good about it. Aside from that fluke goal, Hank has been sharp to start off the season, and he is the better goalie. Maybe if he struggled in his first four games it would make more sense.
Totally agree. I love to see the King playing, I just stick to my principles

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Well, to be fair, we cheered Eddie when he wasn't a ranger anymore. Are you saying that if the Rangers and Devils traded entire rosters today, that you wouldn't be a bit miffed about it?

Hall of fame player with his number in the rafters :: Enforcer that played for a total of around 3 full seasons.

I enjoyed having Colton here as much as the next guy but he doesn't deserve to be cheered. At all...

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Sounds reasonable, but honestly I don't feel too good about it. Aside from that fluke goal, Hank has been sharp to start off the season, and he is the better goalie. Maybe if he struggled in his first four games it would make more sense.
Lundqvist is a better goalie, and he is excellent at this time, but it is not about him. It is about Torts idea to play better performer over better player. The entire conversation was whether he will be consistent enough to apply that to goaltenders.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:24 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Lundqvist is a better goalie, and he is excellent at this time, but it is not about him. It is about Torts idea to play better performer over better player. The entire conversation was whether he will be consistent enough to apply that to goaltenders.
In that case...

Lundqvist v. Caps > Valiquette v. Ducks

Unless everyone else watched a different game than I did yesterday.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

In regards to Orr/Brashear, when you get 18,200 fans in the same building, theres bound to be 18,200 viewpoints on the situation.

I hope people dont get into ultra self-defense mode around here, but Im just going to say I'd be very surprised if a few of those 18,200 viewpoints aren't tinged with a touch of racism.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Levitate

Why does this argument about Vally versus Lundqvist come up every time Vally has a good game.

He's a backup. A straight up backup goalie, and he plays behind an elite goalie. Tortorella isn't going to think about trying to "ride" Vally at all unless Lundqvist just completely falls apart in every way.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Why does this argument about Vally versus Lundqvist come up every time Vally has a good game.

He's a backup. A straight up backup goalie, and he plays behind an elite goalie. Tortorella isn't going to think about trying to "ride" Vally at all unless Lundqvist just completely falls apart in every way.
This bothers me a lot as well. Its crazy.

Vally inevitably ***** the bed after a few good starts. Thats what backups do. Thats why theyre backups.

Old
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This bothers me a lot as well. Its crazy.

Vally inevitably ***** the bed after a few good starts. Thats what backups do. Thats why theyre backups.
Completely agreed, BRB.

On another note, am I the only one who thought the Kessel trade was potentially a disaster for Toronto? Not because I think that 2 firsts and a second is overpayment for a player of Kessel's ability in general, but because I think that 2 firsts and a second is overpayment for the 2009-2010 Toronto team. They are just gawdawful - and it was obvious that they would we the moment the first week of FA ended. They basically have 9 3rd liners rounding out their first 3 lines (until Kessel returns).

So in my view, they just traded Taylor Hall, the 31st pick this year and potentially the best player in next year's (admittedly weak) draft class for Kessel. I understand the old argument about picks vs. proven NHL talent, but that argument is a lot more valid for mid 1st round picks and beyond. And those are going to be some darn valuable picks. I think Boston's just set itself up to be very good for a very long time...

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Well, to be fair, we cheered Eddie when he wasn't a ranger anymore. Are you saying that if the Rangers and Devils traded entire rosters today, that you wouldn't be a bit miffed about it?
yes because colton orr and eddie are on the same level. eddies number is retired where as colton orr is a no body and has no talent.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Torts has never hidden that he will be a "hypocrite" with Henke. He stated all summer long that the only one who's job was safe was Henke.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

this argument over Vally playing is one of the most retarded things ive ever heard.

We would have gotten a shutout with 6 skaters on the ice. The Ducks had MAYBE 3 or 4 real legit scoring chances all night long. Vally didnt do anything amazing out there, he made 14 or 15 Brodeur type easy as hell saves, and he made 3 or 4 pretty nice saves. Nothing that blows your mind.

Henrik Lundqvist is the first goalie in nhl HISTORY to win at least 30 games in each of his first 4 seasons. He is your # 1 goalie. Anyone even mildly suggesting that he should sit in favor of Vally because Vally happened to be in the net when the Rangers played possibly their best game in 5 years is out of their frikkin mind.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
yes because colton orr and eddie are on the same level. eddies number is retired where as colton orr is a no body and has no talent.
Not saying they're on it on the same level. That would be stupid. Im just saying their is obviously a sentiment of association that comes with seeing an ex-popular ranger on another team. Brashear has been a ranger for a few weeks. He was hatred by ranger fans. Orr has been gone for only a couple months, he was very popular. So it doesnt surprise me that there are some who still feel a bit bad about it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Not saying they're on it on the same level. That would be stupid. Im just saying their is obviously a sentiment of association that comes with seeing an ex-popular ranger on another team. Brashear has been a ranger for a few weeks. He was hatred by ranger fans. Orr has been gone for only a couple months, he was very popular. So it doesnt surprise me that there are some who still feel a bit bad about it.
Why would Colton Orr be considered popular? If he couldnt drop the gloves, he'd have trouble making an ECHL roster. I just dont understand it.

Old
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why would Colton Orr be considered popular? If he couldnt drop the gloves, he'd have trouble making an ECHL roster. I just dont understand it.
Why?

Because he was by all accounts a good teammate and a good locker-room guy.
Because he trained hard in the off-season and devoted time and energy to bettering himself as a hockey player (that's commendable).
Because he knew and understood his role and his purpose on this roster (just as Vally does).
Because he was tough as nails and went toe to toe with some of the scariest players in the league for th sake of creating energy, sending messages, and sticking up for his teammates.

For the same reason that fans liked players like Prucha, Blair Betts, Jed Ortmeyer.... It's not about their overall skill level or how many points they put up.... It's about defining characteristics that make these players like-able and respectable personalities... Physical/Mental toughness, heart, grit, intensity... All sorts of intangible that can differentiate one player from the next....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Mainly because it's so ****ing sad that some people on here can't support Brash. I hope he beats the tar out of Orr and wipes the ice with what's left of him. Just to see you people get bent out of shape.

So sick of people booing the guy. I mean, he's not Malik. It's not like he's not trying. He's OUR warrior now. Stop booing the guy and support him. What does he have to do to win you over?
This post is so hypocritical. You're calling out people for not supporting Brashear, but it was okay to boo Malik? You know, it's not like Malik wasn't trying too. And how about Redden, Rozsival or Girardi? Is it okay to boo them?

There isn't a player on this team that should be booed. They are all Rangers and as such, we should support them, whether they are the best player or the worst. But that doesn't mean I have to like them, and I will never like Brashear.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
this argument over Vally playing is one of the most retarded things ive ever heard.

We would have gotten a shutout with 6 skaters on the ice. The Ducks had MAYBE 3 or 4 real legit scoring chances all night long. Vally didnt do anything amazing out there, he made 14 or 15 Brodeur type easy as hell saves, and he made 3 or 4 pretty nice saves. Nothing that blows your mind.

Henrik Lundqvist is the first goalie in nhl HISTORY to win at least 30 games in each of his first 4 seasons. He is your # 1 goalie. Anyone even mildly suggesting that he should sit in favor of Vally because Vally happened to be in the net when the Rangers played possibly their best game in 5 years is out of their frikkin mind.
This. Not to take away from Vally, but I think at least 90% of all NHl goalies (backups or starters) would have gotten the shutout yesterday.
There were really only 3-4 not easy saves, and one of them maybe a hard one (after Staal's mistake). It's not like Vally did something Hank wouldn't have done.
Henrik is our number one goalie, and thus he will play after resting one game.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Seriously, the only reason Vally got the start was the rest Henke.... It wasn't an audition to gain more playing time.... Rangers broadcast crew is always talking about how Vally knows his role on this team and embraces it.... Which is exactly why Valliquette would not get tonight's start and be perfectly understanding about it.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Why?

Because he was by all accounts a good teammate and a good locker-room guy.
Because he trained hard in the off-season and devoted time and energy to bettering himself as a hockey player (that's commendable).
Because he knew and understood his role and his purpose on this roster (just as Vally does).
Because he was tough as nails and went toe to toe with some of the scariest players in the league for th sake of creating energy, sending messages, and sticking up for his teammates.

For the same reason that fans liked players like Prucha, Blair Betts, Jed Ortmeyer.... It's not about their overall skill level or how many points they put up.... It's about defining characteristics that make these players like-able and respectable personalities... Physical/Mental toughness, heart, grit, intensity... All sorts of intangible that can differentiate one player from the next....
Thats a lot of words you put forth, but very little substance. We're supposed to shower players with praise now because they 'devote time and energy to bettering (themselves) as a hockey player'??? Thats ridiculous.

Besides, Colton Orr was not a hockey player. He was a relatively good fighter who had the skating skills of which you might see in a local beer league. In short, he's a goon.