HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sekera out with injury

Old
10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Puddy

vCash: 500
Sekera out with injury

As per tsn.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294650

Just in time for Lydman's return

Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy View Post
As per tsn.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=294650

Just in time for Lydman's return
Not surprising, if it's the hit they showed during the game that they suspected. He got creamed up high into the glass, and it looked like the hit caught him right on the side of his rib cage.

Ouch.

Lydman-Myers. Make it happen Lindy.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Not surprising, if it's the hit they showed during the game that they suspected. He got creamed up high into the glass, and it looked like the hit caught him right on the side of his rib cage.

Ouch.

Lydman-Myers. Make it happen Lindy.
WTF

Still no idea why anyone would recommend breaking up Tallinder-Myers at this point

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:31 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
WTF

Still no idea why anyone would recommend breaking up Tallinder-Myers at this point
Especially since Montador needs all the help he can get.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Luceni

Callup Weber......

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Especially since Montador needs all the help he can get.

Ta,
That guy is SLOOOOWWWW!!!!

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Callup Weber......
Call up Gragnani and see what he can do from the point on the PP...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Luceni

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
No. I don't want another forward in the lineup, we better bring up a d-man who can play defense. Myers really could use some experience on the PP.....

Call up Weber and waive Paetsch. He's nozhing but a money eater.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Grags hasn't got anything done down in Portland this year, don't want this guy up. And no need to call anybody up since Lydman will be ready.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Puddy

Is there anybody in Portland that has earned a call up?
And if Sekera is out for awhile, does this means Myers is staying?

Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Gragnani, as i've said before, has no ability to be an NHL defensemen.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooey View Post
That guy is SLOOOOWWWW!!!!
He's not the swiftest of skaters, for sure. I'd like him to bring what he was supposed to bring to the table... namely physical presence. Paired with Loods he might be comfortable enough to do that. He and Sekera didn't look good together. Who's fault that was, I don't know.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
WTF

Because we don't want Myers turning into a fruitloop like Hank?

Seriously though, putting away personal bias / just not likely Tallinder, Hank was (is?) on the trade block - for all we know he could be gone at the first opportunity. More importantly, whose style do you want Myers to pickup? Positionally sound, but soft as a pillow with no balls like Hank? Or physical, hitting and blocking shots like Lydman?

With the natural talents Myers has shown to date, I'm not worried about the former, and I think Lydman is the best teacher we have to show him the latter.

Old
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Seriously though, putting away personal bias / just not likely Tallinder, Hank was (is?) on the trade block - for all we know he could be gone at the first opportunity. More importantly, whose style do you want Myers to pickup? Positionally sound, but soft as a pillow with no balls like Hank? Or physical, hitting and blocking shots like Lydman?

With the natural talents Myers has shown to date, I'm not worried about the former, and I think Lydman is the best teacher we have to show him the latter.
Having Hank as his partner is actually going to be highly beneficial to Myers' offensive game. Tyler has been able to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the ice because Tallinder is pretty much a pure stay-at-home type.

Lydman tends to get involved in the offense a little more.

And as far as emulating style...does this really happen? Did Sekera really emulate Lydman, or Spacek? Did Butler really emulate Rivet?

Those guys have their own style, and they were going to play that way regardless who they were partnered with. The choice of partner should be based on who complements their style of play.

Sounds to me like just another flimsy excuse to level shots against everyone's favorite scapegoat. And all this while Tallinder is actually playing well right now.

Style over substance, yet again.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Having Hank as his partner is actually going to be highly beneficial to Myers' offensive game. Tyler has been able to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the ice because Tallinder is pretty much a pure stay-at-home type.

Lydman tends to get involved in the offense a little more.

And as far as emulating style...does this really happen? Did Sekera really emulate Lydman, or Spacek? Did Butler really emulate Rivet?

Those guys have their own style, and they were going to play that way regardless who they were partnered with. The choice of partner should be based on who complements their style of play.

Sounds to me like just another flimsy excuse to level shots against everyone's favorite scapegoat. And all this while Tallinder is actually playing well right now.

I was just going to post about Butler not emulating Rivet. Great points agree 100%.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post

Meh, it's an opinion. It's not about how well Tallinder is or isn't playing - the guy's a sissy, and we have too much sissy on the roster - despite Darcy's stocking of the Portland cupboard. That's really all there is to it.

I'd like to see Lydman-Myers given some time, especially if Hank is still on the trading block. If it doesn't work out, fine, move him back with Hank. Especially if the left side is Lydman's "natural" side - why not give it a shot?

Old
10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Tallinder - Myers
Butler - Rivet
Lydman - Montador

It puts Lydman on the left, but it makes our pairs as deep as possibluh IMO

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Megaera

Quote:

Seriously though, putting away personal bias / just not likely Tallinder, Hank was (is?) on the trade block - for all we know he could be gone at the first opportunity. More importantly, whose style do you want Myers to pickup? Positionally sound, but soft as a pillow with no balls like Hank?
Quote:
Meh, it's an opinion. It's not about how well Tallinder is or isn't playing - the guy's a sissy, and we have too much sissy on the roster - despite Darcy's stocking of the Portland cupboard. That's really all there is to it.
So basically what you're saying is that "putting away personal bias" your personal bias leads you to want Myers paired with Lydman. That's fine, but I don't see the point in saying that you're looking at something objectively when it's clear that you just object to a certain style of play wholesale.

When Tallinder's playing well--something we've unfortunately seen far too little of in the last couple years--he's still not physical but he's highly effective despite that because of his reach, positioning, and skating.

I don't understand the thinking behind breaking up something that's working very well--after a rough first game Tallinder was fine against Phoenix and good against Nashville. And Myers has looked great playing with him. So it seems to me that Lydman would be better used elsewhere unless that changes. The team has plenty of issues still and fixing what isn't broken doesn't seem like a smart priority. It seems to me that the pairings jBud suggests are a better use of the talent on hand.

Megaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
So basically what you're saying is that "putting away personal bias" your personal bias leads you to want Myers paired with Lydman. That's fine, but I don't see the point in saying that you're looking at something objectively when it's clear that you just object to a certain style of play wholesale.
I never said I was looking at things objectively, I was just supplementing my (obviously biased) opinion with some reasons why a Lydman-Myers pairing might work, or why a Hank-Myers pairing might not.

And I don't necessarily object to Hank's style, per se. If Hank were to continue playing like he his now, but had a track record of actually sticking up for his team mates when the situation called for it, I'd be fine sticking him with Myers. But that's not the case.

Old
10-12-2009, 06:52 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I can't imagine why anyone would suggest breaking up Hank-Myers. Tallinder is playing his best hockey in years, and Myers looks great. The D (and Miller) has allowed 3 goals in 3 games. Why start tinkering any more than is necessary?

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It'll be interesting to find out of this injury is a progression of Rej getting hit up high previously with that shot. That could've also been high right rib....

At least they have someone to plug in who isn't going to be a 2-5:00 minute a night guy Lindy has to protect from everyone and everything...

10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I can't imagine why anyone would suggest breaking up Hank-Myers. Tallinder is playing his best hockey in years, and Myers looks great. The D (and Miller) has allowed 3 goals in 3 games. Why start tinkering any more than is necessary?
I'm just trying to be consistent. Should my opinion of a player change after a few games of good (or bad) play?

And where'd all the other HankHaters go? Hello? Anyone? Is this thing on?

Old
10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1738
I assume with Sekera going on IR, the Sabres will activate Adam Mair.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I'm just trying to be consistent. Should my opinion of a player change after a few games of good (or bad) play?

And where'd all the other HankHaters go? Hello? Anyone? Is this thing on?
Check my posts from the pre-season. I've consistently been saying that the Hank hating had gone way too far.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 11:01 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Check my posts from the pre-season. I've consistently been saying that the Hank hating had gone way too far.
Tallinder is Richard Smehlik reincarnate on the vitriol front. He's not physical enough, not skilled enough, not offensive enough for anybody's taste. The only thing people seem to agree on is that his contract is too rich, or he's trade bait, or that he's holding back the youth by clogging the depth chart. To which I answer "yes," "yes," and "what depth?" Tallinder IS our depth at this point. Without him, we're one injury away from Weber being called up, which isn't the most thrilling idea.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote