HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chi-ott

Old
10-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Mach 9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
You'd get our first rounder and a solid prospect for Volchenkov. Teams in contention don't move key pieces of there offense to load up.

Something like

First round pick + Jack Skille is about what you'll be able to get for Volchenkov come the deadline. Expecting a proven young scoring winger for a solid but not spectacular defenseman is just not realistic.
Why would we want more prospects? We want to win now, with Alfie and Kovalev gone soon

Last edited by Mach 9*: 10-12-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

dont want another forward making that kind of money on the sens.

If volchenkov was going to chicago, i'd target Skille, Beach, Aliu, and the hawks 1st or 2nd round picks. Some combination of those assets should be available for a player like volchenkov.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I wasn't referring to if it is fair value or not, I was only talking about the cap space that would be cleared (i.e. you would free up Versteeg and Ladd's combined cap hits). I wouldn't be surprised at all if Volchie were to re-sign with the Hawks if he were traded there. As long as you treat him well (and I have no reason to think that they won't), he likely would resign there. He is a heart and soul guy, and very loyal. I'd love to have him stay a Sen, but if there is no way to sign him here, you could certainly do a lot worse than A-Train. He's the kind of player that you have to see play on a regular basis to get a full grip on just how valuable he is.

As a Sens fan, I'd love to get him locked up to a good deal (hometown discount) for say 4 years at 2.5-3 mill per, but if not, I'd reluctantly trade him for some depth at forward, either a young NHL-ready guy, or a very good prospect.
By now the 'Hawks pending salary-cap crunch FOR NEXT SEASON is well-known, so it goes without saying that signing Volchenkov is not an option. The $$$'s simply won't be there.

The difference between a Hawks fan and a non-Hawks fan can be seen in one's opinions about our # 4 d-man. Everyone knows about Keith-Seabrook-Campbell. I'm comfortable with Hjalmarsson at #4 and would not contemplate trading assets or adding to payroll to replace him at that position. He's fine.

I've crunched the numbers and it looks like the Hawks will have to part with three of their $3 million players (Versteeg, Barker, Byfuglien, Bolland, Sharp). Although Barker and Byfuglien have nice components to their games, (Barker on the PP, Byfuglien a Holmstrom-esque/Franzen-esque presence in front of the net) Sharp is a HOCKEY PLAYER in all aspects of the game, sort of like a Mike Fisher without the offensive disappointment, and I would think of him as untouchable.

Versteeg, Barker, etc., will be traded for young NHL players with low cap hits and/or
picks/prospects to fill out the bottom-rung of the roster with low salaries. I don't see them being traded for expensive pending UFA's like Volchenkov.

Perhaps Ottawa and Chicago are not good trading partners.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSenators11 View Post
Ok, Hawks fans... Have fun even being in the playoffs with a horrible goalie, and no defensive defenseman
Keith and Seabrook are both better defensively than Volchenkov. Sopel and Hjalmarsson are both solid defensive dmen.

The Hawks have no need for Volchenkov, get over it. Very few pending UFAs are worth 2 young 50+ point wingers.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Mach 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
Keith and Seabrook are both better defensively than Volchenkov. Sopel and Hjalmarsson are both solid defensive dmen.
No they are really not...

Old
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Karlssonlee

Volchenkov isn't just a defensive d.

He can block shots, hit, and add a intimating factor on the blueline. Other than Seabrook, you guys don't really have a defenseman that adds that element to their game.

Although I agree Keith is better defensively than Volchenkov. Seabrook and Volchenkov are at the same level

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
My apologies I meant to say that Volchenkov would get #4 minutes on Chicago. I realize he is a top pairing guy on Ottawa and would be on many other teams in the league.
Volch would play just as much with you guys as he would with us. He is exactly what you guys need. Personally, I have no clue why Ottawa would do Volch for Versteeg and a 1st. Even if we don't think we can resign him, if we want to do well this year, Volch is far more crucial than Versteeg could ever be. I could see something based around Volch and Barker at the deadline if Ottawa is out of contention, but that's all that makes sense to me.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
Volch would play just as much with you guys as he would with us. He is exactly what you guys need. Personally, I have no clue why Ottawa would do Volch for Versteeg and a 1st. Even if we don't think we can resign him, if we want to do well this year, Volch is far more crucial than Versteeg could ever be. I could see something based around Volch and Barker at the deadline if Ottawa is out of contention, but that's all that makes sense to me.
No one is getting more minutes on Chicago than the Keith-Seabook pairing and they are a pair that will not be split.

Sure Volchenkov would look great next to Campbell getting #4 minutes, but it aint gonna happen. What the Hawks need is stability in goal. The blueline is already one of the best.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
No one is getting more minutes on Chicago than the Keith-Seabook pairing and they are a pair that will not be split.

Sure Volchenkov would look great next to Campbell getting #4 minutes, but it aint gonna happen. What the Hawks need is stability in goal. The blueline is already one of the best.
He gets 17 minutes ES minutes a game, 4.5 shorthanded. Hjalmarsson gets 17:54 ES a game, so Volchs minutes would stay consistent there. Volch would get at least the 2:27 SH minutes that Hjalmarsson gets, plus I'm sure some of Keith and Seabrooks minutes. All the D on the Sens play between 18 and 22 minutes per game, so I can't see Volch getting less minutes than he does now really.

As I said, the best deal I can think of is at the deadline if we know Volch is gone, swing a deal based around Barker and Volch. Makes you guys way stronger for your playoff run, gives us a good young PMD who will hopefully mature into a top pairing guy down the road. Hawks also save Barkers 3mil a year to give to their RFA's, and lose a guy who's not that crucial to the team.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
Ok, Hawks fans... Have fun even being in the playoffs with a horrible goalie, and no defensive defenseman
Yeah, we'll keep those Keith and Seabrook guys...
I'm sure you also have never heard of Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Huet, well...no argument there. If this trade had been for a goalie rather than a defenseman, whom Chicago does not need, then I'm sure you'd find Blackhawk fans to be a little more partial to the deal.

You can keep Volchenkov, and I'm sure the Hawks will be happy to stick with a top five defensive pairing in the league.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
As a Hawk fan I would do this

Sopel + Skille + Cal 2nd in 2010

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
masterandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
As a Hawk fan I would do this

Sopel + Skille + Cal 2nd in 2010
Sopel has another year left on his contract, whereas Volchenkov is UFA at season's end. We can't take on your salary dump.

As a Sens fan, I'd propose:

Barker + 1st round pick for Volchenkov.

Volchenkov can push you over the hump in the playoffs. He's the extra goalie you want on the back-end and as great as Keith and Seakbrook are, Huet would be thrilled to have Volchenkov save at least 5 shots for him every game.

It's also a perfect situation for Ottawa cause Barker has the potential to become a top pairing defensemen... and his contract hit is a little more than what Volchenkov is making right now and for 3 years.

Heck I would do Barker + 2nd round pick for Volchenkov

Again, this is all hypothetical. I hope Murray does whatever he can to re-sign Volchenkov. 3 years at Phillips money would be amazing deal

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterandy View Post
Sopel has another year left on his contract, whereas Volchenkov is UFA at season's end. We can't take on your salary dump.

As a Sens fan, I'd propose:

Barker + 1st round pick for Volchenkov.

Volchenkov can push you over the hump in the playoffs. He's the extra goalie you want on the back-end and as great as Keith and Seakbrook are, Huet would be thrilled to have Volchenkov save at least 5 shots for him every game.

It's also a perfect situation for Ottawa cause Barker has the potential to become a top pairing defensemen... and his contract hit is a little more than what Volchenkov is making right now and for 3 years.

Heck I would do Barker + 2nd round pick for Volchenkov

Again, this is all hypothetical. I hope Murray does whatever he can to re-sign Volchenkov. 3 years at Phillips money would be amazing deal
Barker + for a playoff rental?

Yeah, not gonna happen

Old
10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Joannie9

Wow !
You are overestimating Volchenkov ...

Joannie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Chelios

Quote:
No they are really not...
Just because they contribute offensively, does not take away anything from their defensive capabilities. Seabrooke and Keith form one of, if not the best defensive pairing in the league. They are every bit as good as Volchenkov defensively.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:46 PM
shadow1

This proposal = horrible

I understand how good Volchenkov is, but you are completely out of your mind if you think he, or any other Ottawa defender, can get Versteeg and a 1st.

Chara might not even be able to get Versteeg and a 1st.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Noah23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Just because they contribute offensively, does not take away anything from their defensive capabilities. Seabrooke and Keith form one of, if not the best defensive pairing in the league. They are every bit as good as Volchenkov defensively.
i lol'd

Noah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Mach 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
This proposal = horrible

I understand how good Volchenkov is, but you are completely out of your mind if you think he, or any other Ottawa defender, can get Versteeg and a 1st.

Chara might not even be able to get Versteeg and a 1st.
He could...

And Volchenkov is very valuable because of his cap hit

Old
10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
shadow1

Quote:
I'm not a Hawks fan, but couldn't you say that about the Senators as well?

...Except the playoff part.

I really don't know what Blackhawks you've been watching recently, but certainly it wasn't the ones who play in Chicago if you think a team with Keith and Seabrook has no defensive defensemen/think either of Keith and Seabrook are inferior to Anton Volchenkov.

Old
10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Volchenkov is very valuable because of his cap hit
Be that as it may, the Blackhawks have way too many players to re-sign as it is. Trading Versteeg would be to clear up cap space, but then Volchenkov would need to be re-signed, probably for a similar contract (3.083) as Versteeg presently makes.

Old
10-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannie9 View Post
Wow !
You are overestimating Volchenkov ...
Yeah hes really extremely over rated. Hes good dont get me wrong, but Barker and a first? Is that a joke? Versteeg and a first?

Whats next, Keith or Seabrook + for Volchenkov?

/ This thread.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Mach 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I'm not a Hawks fan, but couldn't you say that about the Senators as well?

...Except the playoff part.

I really don't know what Blackhawks you've been watching recently, but certainly it wasn't the ones who play in Chicago if you think a team with Keith and Seabrook has no defensive defensemen/think either of Keith and Seabrook are inferior to Anton Volchenkov.
I exaggerated the defense part a bit, but Huet isn't that good, and who nows if Niemi can play well for a long period of time.

For Ottawa, it's somewhat the defense, but Leclaire was good before he was injured, and still is... he was arguably top 5-6 before his injury

Old
10-12-2009, 06:11 PM
4thliner*

Anton Volchenkov's game will be 10X more valuable come playoff time. And he is high value impact dman in the regular season as well. In fact Anton has as much impact on any given game as any Dman in the league can have on, except offensively. He is the ultimate pure physical shot blocking stay at home dman who can also move the puck very well and makes no defensive mistakes doing it what so ever.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Anton Volchenkov's game will be 10X more valuable come playoff time. And he is high value impact dman in the regular season as well. In fact Anton has as much impact on any given game as any Dman in the league can have on, except offensively. He is the ultimate pure physical shot blocking stay at home dman who can also move the puck very well and makes no defensive mistakes doing it what so ever.
You have to be either Volchenkov's agent or his mother.

I'm a big Volchenkov fan, but he (like every other d-man) does make mistakes. And if he moves the puck very well he'd get a lot more than the 10-15 assists he gets in a year. And his cap hit doesn't make that much difference at the deadline when the acquiring team is only picking up about 20% of the salary.

If the Sens are out of contention at the deadline (which would surprise me), I think that AV would have significant rental value. Something along the lines of a 1st + a suspect, or a 2nd & a decent prospect. Rentals almost never get signicant roster players back (aka - Versteeg or Sharp as mentioned above).

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I exaggerated the defense part a bit, but Huet isn't that good, and who nows if Niemi can play well for a long period of time.

For Ottawa, it's somewhat the defense, but Leclaire was good before he was injured, and still is... he was arguably top 5-6 before his injury
Interesting, I dont like Huet one bit but lets compare

07-08
Pascal Leclaire 54 GP 24-17-6 2.25 GAA / .919 SV Pct 9 SO
Cristobal Huet 52 GP 32-14-6 2.32 GAA / .920 SV Pct 4 SO

So was Huet top 5-6?