HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Will Russia beat Canada's Record 5 straight WJC?

Old
10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
notmynhl

vCash: 500
Will Russia beat Canada's Record 5 straight WJC?

Russia has made it to 4 straight WJC, but has never reached 5.

Unfortunately, Russian wins before there 4 in a row streak were not in an officially sanctioned tournament.

Do you think Russia will be able to do it sometime?

notmynhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 01:57 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Unfortunately, not in the near future.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Siberian

It's possible but only when they will care about this tournament at least third of what they care about men's WC, which means provide the resources for the program. Latest appointment of Plyuschev indicates this time hasn't come.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
It's possible but only when they will care about this tournament at least third of what they care about men's WC, which means provide the resources for the program. Latest appointment of Plyuschev indicates this time hasn't come.
Correct.

Canada’s biggest strength has been coaching…..even in ‘off talent’ years they are a well oiled machine. They’re not good enough to beat a well coached Russia on a consistent basis though.

Seriously, if a Nemchinov coached team can take Canada to a shoot-out there’s no reason that same team led by a Vorobiev, Ishmatov or even Popeikin (past coaches) wouldn’t have won. But now with more crap like Plyushev there's little chance.

FHR is crazy.

Last edited by Zine: 10-07-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Correct.

Canada’s biggest strength has been coaching…..even in ‘off talent’ years they are a well oiled machine. They’re not good enough to beat a well coached Russia on a consistent basis though.

Seriously, if a Nemchinov coached team can take Canada to a shoot-out there’s no reason that same team led by a Vorobiev, Ishmatov or even Popeikin (past coaches) wouldn’t have won. But now with more crap like Plyushev there's little chance.

FHR is crazy.
Don't forget that Russia is also disadvantaged by the fact that they always have the most U20 players who can't play in the WJC because they have made it to the big leagues. Just think if Russia had all their best players every year how good they would be.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Don't forget that Russia is also disadvantaged by the fact that they always have the most U20 players who can't play in the WJC because they have made it to the big leagues. Just think if Russia had all their best players every year how good they would be.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
ryz

Not while Canada is in the tournament.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Garl

Quote:
That's sarcasm or what?

On serious note, aside from Kovalchuk Russia hasn't lost any player to "big league".

As for original question. At this point that question makes no sense. Russia was way more dominant in junior hockey 5 years ago than now.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 07:45 AM
wjhl2009fan

Mr Kanadensisk
If any country is hurt by players going to the nhl its canada.For the past 5 years atleast there is alwas a fair amount of players in the nhl that could play for canada.Now would it be fair if all of these players did play for canada that may be up for debate.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Mr Kanadensisk
If any country is hurt by players going to the nhl its canada.For the past 5 years atleast there is alwas a fair amount of players in the nhl that could play for canada.Now would it be fair if all of these players did play for canada that may be up for debate.
I was being sarcastic....

I find Zine is a never ending source of pro Russian BS and sometimes I just can't help myself.

Old
10-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Garl

Quote:
Correct.

FHR is crazy.
Well, Popikhin's team lost to Canada like 5-1 or smth. And Sergei "He ruined our U20 team" Nemchinov is right now much more succesful in KHL that many thought he would be.

And Plyushev is crap? Seriously a guy who won WJC's as a coach is crap?

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Well, Popikhin's team lost to Canada like 5-1 or smth. And Sergei "He ruined our U20 team" Nemchinov is right now much more succesful in KHL that many thought he would be.

And Plyushev is crap? Seriously a guy who won WJC's as a coach is crap?
Quit being a troll Garl....you know well that Plyushev is a poor coach with no control over his players. I remember you arguing exactly that during U-20 4 nations last month. Plyushev's accomplishments of a decade ago have little significant as it relates to today’s game.

Who cares if Popeikin lost to Canada in the final…..based on talent alone that joke of a 1987 generation shouldn’t have even been there. They overachived because it was a team in every sense of the word; the exact element that's holding Russia back at WJC recently. Honestly, 1st line was Krysanov, Bumagin and an underraged Cherepanov.
Popeikin with talent = Gold

And, yes, Nemchinov is improving. However, the fact that FHR was willing to put a coach with no experience behind the bench and, more sadly, keep him there after summit series disaster more than proves my point.

Old
10-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Zine

Quote:
I was being sarcastic....

I find Zine is a never ending source of pro Russian BS and sometimes I just can't help myself.
Canada should thank Russia's decision makers for its 5 straight WJC gold. The coach and player selections have been terrible.

Er, oh, wait a minute......I might be thinking of Canada's excuse for its poor performance in Turin. Yes, that's it. Sorry Mr Kanadensisk , I hear that excuse so often when talking with Canadians I often get confused.

Old
10-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Canada should thank Russia's decision makers for its 5 straight WJC gold. The coach and player selections have been terrible.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Canada's dominance has nothing to do with who Russia did or didn't play, or what coach Russia had. You were simply beat by the best, no shame in that.

BTW, when do you think Tretiak will organize another Summit Series?

Last edited by Mr Kanadensisk: 10-12-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old
10-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but Canada's dominance has nothing to do with who Russia did or didn't play, or what coach Russia had. You were simply beat by the best, no shame in that.

BTW, when do you think Tretiak will organize another Summit Series?
Lol, i misread "summit series" and given the outcome of the last one, i think what i read is much more appropriate.

"Submit Series"

apologies, don't meant to cause a ruckus, just getting excited for the best time of the year. WJC!

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Den

Well, the Sun is not predicted to go red giant for another billion years, and the Earth will stay habitable for about 500-700 mill years, so I definitely see it happening.

In fact I can see Nabakadastria making it 7 in a row over Agallania in the greatest rivalry of all time in several millennia.

Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:34 AM
slovakiasnextone

Team Russia U20 has had pretty horrible results so far this season, their U17 looks very weak this year and with the coaches they choose for their junior teams, not likely......IMO the bst European junior team and the only European junior team that hs a chance to come anywhere near to beating Canada´s record anyhwere in the near future is Sweden right now, they currently have lots of top end talent and probably the most depth in Europe as well....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:

Er, oh, wait a minute......I might be thinking of Canada's excuse for its poor performance in Turin. Yes, that's it. Sorry Mr Kanadensisk , I hear that excuse so often when talking with Canadians I often get confused.
Nevermind

Last edited by Frank the Tank: 11-22-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: not worth my time to get into a pissing match
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

haha...that would be funny if he wasnt serious

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmynhl View Post
Russia has made it to 4 straight WJC, but has never reached 5.

Unfortunately, Russian wins before there 4 in a row streak were not in an officially sanctioned tournament.

Do you think Russia will be able to do it sometime?
Maybe I am just tired...I don't understand this question at all.

Wait, now I get it, Russia has won 4 World Juniors in a row before, do I think they will ever win 6 or more straight? Let me know when they get to 3 or 4 straight, I will give you an answer.

Last edited by BlackAces*: 12-15-2009 at 12:49 PM.
BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Talus

Quote:

Remember the NHL lock out .
Time to stop talking stupid.
If other teams lost the number of players to the NHL as Canada they would be relegated to B division.

Talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Ward Cornell

The one country besides Canada who may beat the record of 5 WJHC is........(well not for a number of years) is China!

You do realize that they have started to take hockey seriously at the youth level in China?

Having said that with the growth of hockey with more countries playing a winning streak of 3 would be exceptional!

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 12-17-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:34 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
The one country besides Canada who may beat the record of 5 WJHC is........(well not for a number of years) is China!

You do realize that they have started to take hockey seriously at the youth level in China?

Having said that with the growth of hockey with more countries playing a winning streak of 3 would be exceptional!
They did? Who was then dressed as the Chinese players against Hungary at the Div II U20 WHC yesterday?

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
They did? Who was then dressed as the Chinese players against Hungary at the Div II U20 WHC yesterday?

??

Anyways, I would imagine Canadas record of 5 straight wins will be safe for at least 6 years!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 10:11 PM
EbencoyE

not when every 3 out of 4 tourneys are on home ice for Canada

EbencoyE is offline   Reply With Quote