HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings @ New York Islanders 10/12/09

Old
10-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Quattro

vCash: 500
People need to **** about Brown. Teammates, coaches, commentators all are praising his play. Armchair internet analysts seem to be the only ones who can't see how effective he is.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:06 AM
baxterbarton

Quote:

After the game, Terry Murray said Erik Ersberg will make his season debut Wednesday against the Rangers, with Jonathan Quick scheduled to return Thursday against Detroit in the second of back-to-back games.
Not sure if you guys saw this from Hammond.

baxterbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:11 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
People need to **** about Brown. Teammates, coaches, commentators all are praising his play. Armchair internet analysts seem to be the only ones who can't see how effective he is.
To an extent, but I don't think its all as black and white as that.

The Brown of the last 3 games has been extremely effective. Sure he isn't scoring, but he's playing aggressive, solid hockey. He's defensively very responsible and has been drawing some attention to himself at the front of the net.

The Brown of the first game however was the Brown we saw towards the end of last year. The Brown that doesn't hit as much, and turns the puck over more often than not when entering the zone, leading to many chances against. That Brown isn't bad defensively, but he stifles offense and in turn gives the other team the puck.

People are still bitter over seeing that Brown last year, and for one game this year. Until he scores a goal they won't be convinced this Brown is any different. Its stupid, because this Brown is different and more like the Brown everyone loves.

I thinks its really just residual disdain. If Brown keeps playing like this, it will fade. Although, there will always be the snot out there who moans up a storm every time Brown takes a bad angle shot.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:36 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
last season Kyle Calder played the "best hockey of his career."

look, Brown had a terrific game against Minnesota and has been solid in both the last two games. he made a wonderful play on Kopitar's goal today. w00t!

he's most effective when he plays a simple game. it's when he wants to play johnny goal scorer that his decision making becomes very suspect, and he starts overhandling the puck and shooting from the parking lot... and the fact that he can rarely hit the broadside of a 4,000 square foot barn as it is, makes his game a serious facepalm.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post

look, Brown had a terrific game against Minnesota and has been solid in both the last two games. he made a wonderful play on Kopitar's goal today. w00t!

he's most effective when he plays a simple game. it's when he wants to play johnny goal scorer that his decision making becomes very suspect, and he starts overhandling the puck and shooting from the parking lot... and the fact that he can rarely hit the broadside of a 4,000 square foot barn as it is, makes his game a serious facepalm.
The Patrick O'Sullivan school of shooting; if you can't pick top corner, break it out for the opposing team!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:54 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
You know what else gave me the runs tonight? Hearing on TSN that Moulson is dating Jon Quick's sister in law.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:00 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
The Patrick O'Sullivan school of shooting; if you can't pick top corner, break it out for the opposing team!
man, Sully ripped one off tonight that i swear would have baffled the zaniest of Mayan mathematicians... it nearly started another breakout for his own team... then he went off side.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:04 AM
bland

The Stoll line has been rolling over the past three games. Purcell, who is smart and savvy, is getting the time to build his confidence.

I love Frolov as much as anyone, but Teddy taking this step (that a lot of us knew he would) is about to make that loss a lot less painful.

Brown is an odd one. When he keeps his game stupid, he is effective. When he tries too hard, he just sandbags his linemates. Dustin has to play like a bull - constantly pushing forward at a fast pace. He has proven time and again that he cannot think on the fly.

Good news/bad news is that he is too coachable, and I think the organization handles him with kid gloves, hence all the unwarranted praise that certain people keep tripping over themselves to dish out.

Fox's praise of Brown on Kopitar's goal is a prime example. Brown won a 2-on-1 loose puck battle with Smyth, that really he had no choice but to win 'cause the puck fell right in front of him. That goal was made by a beautiful fake shot-pass from Williams, and not a damn word from Fox or Miller about it. Not live, nor on the various replays, but the Brownie machine was in full gear. Bob even sounded a little surprised that Williams got an assist when the official score was announced.

Yes, he made the right, smart play that his critics, myself most definitely included, have been begging for since his 2nd pro season. I LOVE the potential of that line, Brown included.

But lets not kid ourselves, Brown is what he is - a heart and soul grinder with a nose for the net, and not a future 40-goal scorer. As soon as he realizes this, you are going to see a HUGE love affair with him from his detractors.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
man, Sully ripped one off tonight that i swear would have baffled the zaniest of Mayan mathematicians... it nearly started another breakout for his own team... then he went off side.
The sad thing is I can't tell if you're joking or serious. Either way, I get the visual

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:05 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
You know what else gave me the runs tonight? Hearing on TSN that Moulson is dating Jon Quick's sister in law.

- T
Moulson's also got a lot of ties to Tavares. He knows where his bread is buttered.

Old
10-13-2009, 02:08 AM
bland

Quote:
Dude still disguises his shot like its wearing a schnozz and glasses

Old
10-13-2009, 02:34 AM
Bandit

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back just yet. Tedward still has about a light year to go before he can take a step in Frolov's shoes. Unless of course you're referring to Teddy replacing Frolov as the player most in need of frequent reminders from the coaching staff about his compete level.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Ollie Weeks

I don't know if it was discussed or not, but I really didn't like the fact that Smyth iced that puck in the last minute looking for the empty netter. I realize if that shot goes in he's awesome and everything, but the fact of the matter is it didn't and we're fortunate Murray had a timeout to rest our key defenders. Another goal would be nice for the stat-****** out there (and I'm one of them), but not at the risk of putting the game in jeapordy.

I remember last year Frolov was criticized early in the season for the exact same play - can't remember if he scored although I think this was the case - and Murray really leaned on making the safe play in those sorts of situations. From there out nobody took a potshot from our side of the red line.

A small thing, but it could've been huge. It'd be interesting to see if Murray mentioned anything about it to Smyth, who otherwise extended his awesomeness-streak to 5 games.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:40 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
w/o O'Donnell: 5.00 GAA
W/ O'Donnell: 1.67 GAA

Is this a telling figure? Or just a coincidence?
Semi-telling but could easily be a coincidence. Sample's too small....after all, just one game (the 6 goals against against Phoenix) is really pushing that average up.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I thinks its really just residual disdain. If Brown keeps playing like this, it will fade. Although, there will always be the snot out there who moans up a storm every time Brown takes a bad angle shot.
I've been OK with Brown so far, but it would be nice if he could put the puck on net more consistently when he shoots - and I'm not talking about bad angles. If he was doing it with a teammate around who could deflect it, I'd be ok with it, but that's not been the case.

I will say, though - a defensive-minded Brown who crushes opponents yet still creates lots of goal-scoring opportunities for line mates, even if he never scores himself, would be 100% A-OK with me.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface Vimes View Post
I don't know if it was discussed or not, but I really didn't like the fact that Smyth iced that puck in the last minute looking for the empty netter. I realize if that shot goes in he's awesome and everything, but the fact of the matter is it didn't and we're fortunate Murray had a timeout to rest our key defenders. Another goal would be nice for the stat-****** out there (and I'm one of them), but not at the risk of putting the game in jeapordy.

I remember last year Frolov was criticized early in the season for the exact same play - can't remember if he scored although I think this was the case - and Murray really leaned on making the safe play in those sorts of situations. From there out nobody took a potshot from our side of the red line.

A small thing, but it could've been huge. It'd be interesting to see if Murray mentioned anything about it to Smyth, who otherwise extended his awesomeness-streak to 5 games.
i mentioned that play to my woman when she got home and said that that was something that could have cost the team the game... her answer - had that have been Frolov, there'd have been a 400 page thread about it.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:59 AM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
The sad thing is I can't tell if you're joking or serious. Either way, I get the visual

i was only joking about the off-side part, but he seriously took a shot from about 10 from the goalie that crossed the red line... twice.

Old
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I've always thought the whole putting someone in the doghouse for shooting at an empty net was overrated.

Sometimes the icing is better to relieve the pressure.

Smyth had 2 guys in his face...and whether he ices it clearing the zone, or shooting at the empty net makes no difference to me. Sometimes you just need to ice it.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:35 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
i mentioned that play to my woman when she got home and said that that was something that could have cost the team the game... her answer - had that have been Frolov, there'd have been a 400 page thread about it.
it must be interesting have a wife or girlfriend interested in hockey. when i mention something hockey-related to my wife, her response is usually "i don't want to hear about any hockeylosers.com *****!"

not that she's not wonderful and all, but man, hockey is NOT her cup of tea.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

What can I say? wabwat and bland keep hitting the nail on the head.

I'm really liking Brown's game, simple and simple. Teddy Purcell and Jarrett Stoll are doing a great job on that second line and are creating trouble for the opposing teams. Purcells speed and hustle has been excellent.

The Zues line is one of the most dominant lines I've ever seen as far as controlling the flow of the game. Enjoy it while it lasts...

Quick was very solid although some of his rebounds are getting away from him.

Brad Richardson has been great and I think it's about time Harrold takes a seat and let Lewis back in the game. He's bigger and faster and for the little ice time that they get could be more effective.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
What can I say? wabwat and bland keep hitting the nail on the head.

I'm really liking Brown's game, simple and simple. Teddy Purcell and Jarrett Stoll are doing a great job on that second line and are creating trouble for the opposing teams. Purcells speed and hustle has been excellent.

The Zues line is one of the most dominant lines I've ever seen as far as controlling the flow of the game. Enjoy it while it lasts...

Quick was very solid although some of his rebounds are getting away from him.

Brad Richardson has been great and I think it's about time Harrold takes a seat and let Lewis back in the game. He's bigger and faster and for the little ice time that they get could be more effective.
Yeah, I'm ready to see Lewis back in there too. If they aren't going to play him on a regular basis he should be in Manchester.

I'm surprised that there wasn't more criticism on Smyth icing that puck. It's not a terrible play, but it's not optimum. He probably gets by without being criticized too heavily because of his experience and reputation. You know if Frolov or Brown did it there would be detractors of both players out in full force.

If Quick gets just a little better on his rebound control, we might actually have not just a good, but a very good goaltender.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You know if Frolov or Brown did it there would be detractors of both players out in full force.
If Frolov or Brown had ever appeared to be the catalyst that turned the first line into a scoring machine I'd be more than willing to forgive them too.

Quote:
If Quick gets just a little better on his rebound control, we might actually have not just a good, but a very good goaltender.
Agreed. I'd like to see his puck movement skills improve, as well.

Old
10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:

I'm surprised that there wasn't more criticism on Smyth icing that puck.
Why so surprised? If we'd lost the game, or it went in to OT, we would have been all over him for that. We won so it gets glazed over, like most problems within a game do every time the Kings wind up winning.

It's the same thing with goals. All individual players have to do to keep the criticism of their game at bay is score every now and then and magically everything is better - at least in the eyes of fans. Except Frolov and Brown of course... they get **** on regardless.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
If Frolov or Brown had ever appeared to be the catalyst that turned the first line into a scoring machine I'd be more than willing to forgive them too.

bull... that play is unacceptable regardless of who it is.

Old
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Why so surprised? If we'd lost the game, or it went in to OT, we would have been all over him for that. We won so it gets glazed over, like most problems within a game do every time the Kings wind up winning.
the surprise is because there WAS a player who did the same thing last season and took hell for it despite the fact that the team won... and got more s*** primarily because he was a veteran who should know better and those type of decisions are unacceptable.

costing the team the game this early in the season would be one thing... what if it happened in the playoffs?