HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Weber reassigned to Hamilton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2009, 10:27 PM
  #51
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
at such a crucial time in a player's development, having him play at the highest level in a position he is not suited for, would be one of the worst decisions you could make
As you say, it may be bad for his development, but it's also bad for the Habs to have a mistake-prone Dman. Weber's time will come eventually.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:55 AM
  #52
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,072
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
As you say, it may be bad for his development, but it's also bad for the Habs to have a mistake-prone Dman. Weber's time will come eventually.

i don't see how throwing off our best prospect's learning curve is an acceptable risk to take when so many other options could be explored

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:55 AM
  #53
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Carle is worse than Weber so no way that is happening.
Carle deserves a shot.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:49 AM
  #54
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,074
vCash: 50
What is with everyones hardon with Subban??
He clearly showed in preseason that he is ready for this level of hockey.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:14 AM
  #55
felixd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,232
vCash: 500
http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/

Interesting Brunet article on Weber.

Even though Weber didn't look great in the 3 games he was here, Brunet preaches patience, reminding us that most defencemen generally take 4-5 years to develop and that Weber is the only defenceman from his draft class to have played an NHL game this season and only the 3rd to have any other NHL experience(the other two being Karl Alzner and John Negrin).

The fact that he is even this close this early should be very encouraging. He's got a bright future ahead of him with the Canadiens, but it looks like he's not quite there yet. Patience.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:50 AM
  #56
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,911
vCash: 500
I like Weber and despite the - in his game still liked what I saw from him,maybe a year away and playing with PK in Hamilton for a full year will help both those guys big time.We have some great young players down there,let's not burn them

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:54 AM
  #57
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,864
vCash: 500
Not sure I'm a huge fan of the move.

He was an AHL all-star last year, so even though he still has a lot of room for improvement, how much more will he be able to develop in the AHL?

It's another case of youngsters not able to stick to Montreal because the coaching staff doesn't want to live through growing pains when the team as a whole isn't clicking.

Getting Weber settled in would be awesome while Markov is gone. And the fact he didn't get any PP time is a big ??? for me.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
  #58
Mtl6
Registered User
 
Mtl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
LOL @ the people thinking someone besides Bergeron is gonna get called up.
LOL @ you!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...t-bergeron.php

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:18 PM
  #59
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Not sure I'm a huge fan of the move.

He was an AHL all-star last year, so even though he still has a lot of room for improvement, how much more will he be able to develop in the AHL?
The AHL never seems to look at anything other than the score sheet to select stars. They don't track the details like NHL. At least with Boucher he will learn the defensive side without the pressure from the press and angry fans.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:21 PM
  #60
PyrettaBlaze*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
Indeed... I'm very surprised.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:24 PM
  #61
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
The AHL never seems to look at anything other than the score sheet to select stars. They don't track the details like NHL. At least with Boucher he will learn the defensive side without the pressure from the press and angry fans.
If you're not willing to let him develop some of his defensive game in the NHL, we might not see him until he's 23.

I'd rather live through the growing pains than waiting till the guys can't learn anything more from the AHL. Why? Because we don't have that much talent and production from our regulars. We're not the Detroit Red Wings here.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:33 PM
  #62
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
If you're not willing to let him develop some of his defensive game in the NHL, we might not see him until he's 23.

I'd rather live through the growing pains than waiting till the guys can't learn anything more from the AHL. Why? Because we don't have that much talent and production from our regulars. We're not the Detroit Red Wings here.
Why do you think he couldn't learn anything more in the AHL?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:34 PM
  #63
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
If you're not willing to let him develop some of his defensive game in the NHL, we might not see him until he's 23.

I'd rather live through the growing pains than waiting till the guys can't learn anything more from the AHL. Why? Because we don't have that much talent and production from our regulars. We're not the Detroit Red Wings here.
Not a problem getting some time in the NHL, let him fine tune the things that he has yet to learn. Also, Boucher has the reputation for a good PP. Weber can improve this part of his game as well in Hamilton.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 03:59 PM
  #64
Booba
Fier, ému and proud
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chez Moi
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Indeed... I'm very surprised.
If you consider the fact that Bergeron miss the whole camp, it might be good for him to play more than one game in the AHL. Though, it's clear that he is going to be called up soon because his conditionnement stint can't last more than 2 weeks.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 04:24 PM
  #65
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
If you consider the fact that Bergeron miss the whole camp, it might be good for him to play more than one game in the AHL. Though, it's clear that he is going to be called up soon because his conditionnement stint can't last more than 2 weeks.
Yea if they want keep MAB in Hamilton they'll have to send him on waivers first.

Personaly I want MAB soon so we can have a decent PP.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:06 PM
  #66
The Nightman
Registered User
 
The Nightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
Guys quit saying we are calling up MAB, it's obviously gonna be Shawn Belle
Told you guys.

The Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
  #67
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Why do you think he couldn't learn anything more in the AHL?
No, I said he didn't have that much to learn in the AHL. If he's only got his defensive game to perfect before taking the next step, while we have regulars out (including our PP QB) and our D haven't been great so far, I'd rather see him getting NHL ice time right now to get him settled in instead of putting him back in the minors because he didn't look like a veteran out of the gates.

If he's only tweaking his style in the AHL, instead of gaining precious experience in the NHL while we have the possibility to give him, I'm not thrilled with that decision.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
  #68
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
No, I said he didn't have that much to learn in the AHL. If he's only got his defensive game to perfect before taking the next step, while we have regulars out (including our PP QB) and our D haven't been great so far, I'd rather see him getting NHL ice time right now to get him settled in instead of putting him back in the minors because he didn't look like a veteran out of the gates.

If he's only tweaking his style in the AHL, instead of gaining precious experience in the NHL while we have the possibility to give him, I'm not thrilled with that decision.
Yes it's his defensive game that he needs to improve upon. Yes we have injuries but you take a big risk by rushing a guy. He just turned 21 a few weeks back, let him continue to find his way in the AHL, he's gotten good experience at the NHL level already but I'd rather see him work on his game in a less pressure filled environment instead of rushing him to the NHL and hoping it works out.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
  #69
Mtl6
Registered User
 
Mtl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Indeed... I'm very surprised.
Lol just kidding! I am surprised too because I never thought Belle would be the one called up. Actually I was thinking Carle would get his shot.

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.