HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shawn Belle recalled! (WTF?)

Old
10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
ScherbakAttack

vCash: 500
Man everyone is throwing this guy under the bus before he even sees any regular season action. Good job guys, keep it up.

If he was called up, it's probably because he was playing well in Hamilton.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
holyhabs

there hasnt been this much *****ing and whining since we acquired schneider so im quite happy!

whoever it was on the team990 from hamilton talking with tony today was giving praise to belle and saying he might be one of those late bloomers. he also said he was the best skating and puck moving "big" dmen hamilton might ever have had.

lets just wait and see what happens.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-13-2009 at 10:08 PM.
holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Ladies and Gentlemans here are your 2009-2010 Canadians Brian Gionta, Mike Cammalleri, Maxim Lapierre ... Shawn Belle!"

I bet that he didn't expect to be on opening roster

Anyway, he is just there for 2-3 games so it's not the end of the world. It's certain that Bergeron is going to be call up in about a week (His conditionnement stint can't last longer than two weeks)

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

I'm happy, he's a big defensive d-man that's a great skater. I don't see what all the whining is about.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:39 PM
SomE

Is Belle really this bad?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:40 PM
tiz

This is a great move! He's got actual talent instead of potential... I'm glad our GM is not like the posters on here that value potential way above talent...

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sakiaba

Yes, Belle sucked during training camp. But if MAB isn't ready just yet, why not give him a go? Frankly, it can't be worse than what we've seen thus far. As far as the prospects are concerned, I see no point in rushing Weber or Subban if they need more time in the AHL. After all, haven't we seen enough of our prospects (Latendresse, Price, and Pacioretty, in particular) have their development inhibited by being rushed into regular NHL service prematurely of late? The only one who I could make a case for is Carle, and only because the team needs to make a decision about him relatively soon, and not because of anything he's done on the ice.

sakiaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Seriously, never go by what an HF Boards Habs thread says.

People make reactionary comments and they whine and ***** like crazy because they think they have more knowledge than Gainey and co.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't find this THAT surprising and bad. Now we have what we have. And while they've tried Weber, they might give a chance to Carle but honestly, I feel that we would have just the same question marks as far as those small d-man being able to sustain a rush. And they clearly don't want to rush Subban. So what the advantage it gives Belle is his speed, something most people here have to agree, we don't have a whole lot in the backhand, and he plays physical so whenever he's going to lose some battles, he might be able to make up for it with his physical play.

Now.....it's not like we have a whole lot of options here. We have what we have. Belle is not the best as far as decision making and we'll know about that real soon. But he is the best option out there, as sad as it sounds.
I agree, I don't find this surprising at all. The Habs just gave up 14 goals in the last 3 games and our defensive zone play has not been good, so I got to think JM is pissed at how they are playing in their own end so instead of going with an offensive D ala Weber/Subban/Carle/Benoit, he'd rather go with a defensive D and since the only other defensive D we have is Henry and he's out till next month, what option is there?

I wasn't impressed with MAB in his one game, not writing him off but just didn't do that well despite getting 2 assists, I expected him to be rusty though and I'm sure he'll get back on track. I am glad he'll get a few more games in Hamilton, the Dogs will play 4 in 5 days starting on friday so they will have a chance to see how he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
The word I would use is that he's safer, you know what your getting. I do like that he's getting a reward for last year, he worked hard every game and is a team first player, he dropped the gloves a number of times whenever his D partner Weber would get his bell rung.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

id prefer benoit but whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I also think it makes some sense. This call-up will probably go beyond the next two games. Belle will in all likelihood then slide into a 7th man role, at least until O'Byrne comes back. Belle is better suited than any of the others, at this stage, for the 7th man role.

It's also an interesting observation that he makes only 500k. That's a very small detail, but every dollar against the cap counts, it seems, as a couple of hundred k in March could be the difference between a deadline pickup or none.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I'll give him a chance, but my expectations are PRETTY low.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:13 PM
wedge

Mathieu Carle would have been a better choice, but I guess they wanted a more defensive guy. I'm ok with that

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
I'm happy, he's a big defensive d-man that's a great skater. I don't see what all the whining is about.
Exactly....

When called up last year he looked good and 6'1 240 and mobile it's something Montreal needed. I'm hoping he plays with Gill in the 5 / 6 role. Belle can also dropem and hold his own.

Spacek Hamrlik
Gorges Mara
Gill Belle

Having Gill and Mara paired together is deadly for Montreal. They are both big but slow footed and teams are just dumping it behind them.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
False, he was their 7th defenseman unlike P.K. Subban who quite dominated this tournament..

Sorry but Belle is really that bad defensively.. doesnt read the play well.. This team has too many 6th defensemen, dressing a marginal AHLer wont help the situation.. Wrong black guy!!
it shows that you dont know what youre talking about...

Shawn Belle went twice to the WJC and in one of them (the first one) he was playing on the first pair of Ds

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
False, he was their 7th defenseman unlike P.K. Subban who quite dominated this tournament..

Sorry but Belle is really that bad defensively.. doesnt read the play well.. This team has too many 6th defensemen, dressing a marginal AHLer wont help the situation.. Wrong black guy!!
Well, no, he made the WJ twice and played a regular shift on probably the strongest WJ team ever iced. Barker, IIRC, was the 7th man in 2005. Subban is the better prospect, no doubt, but let's not take away from Belle what he's managed to accomplish.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Wow to the people who actually watched the preseason and think he did well. Belle is probably the only player in NHL history to have a negative hockey IQ.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
atleast call-up matthieu carle for christ sake!
Why?..

Carle was far from impressive too.

Belle has maturity and experience. Didn't see him play in the 2 games, but maybe he was a solid D.
Right now, we need good defensive Ds.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Habs13

Belle sucked during camp... like Moen, who is now a spark plug or AK...who... still is sucking it pretty hard.

BTW, in 9 NHL games with the Wild in 2006-2007, Belle had an assist and was a +4

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Are people that surprised and truthfully upset about this call-up? They're wanting to give Bergeron a couple more games to get in game shape while Belle is one of the most mature defensemen we have in Hamilton. Nothing wrong with that.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
tiz

If I was Gainey, I would of called Hamilton and said "Who down there gives me the best chance to win my next game?". Add to that our pro scouts...

I gotta trust these people know more than us internet GMs. So I'll give him a chance.

Weber was brutal, so he can't be any worse.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Bob in Niagara

It is really getting old on this board...with all the negativity...good thing the majority of these "posters" do not get to call the shots in Montreal... thank goodness the people in charge and in the know do...Belle played just fine in the pre-season games...and his record from last year speaks for itself...let's face it guys...the young guys like Carle...Weber and Subban need to play a lot in Hamilton and aren't nearly ready for the NHL just yet...so why not play Belle? At least we do have some options...

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Biggsy

WOW i am surprised at this call up, never even thought of him, i didn't get to watch him much in the preseason although ihear he had a good few games. He doeshave speed and can hit hard i hope he makes an impact thurs night. Wasn't a fan of his in Jr i watched him a lot against Kelowna did'nt impress me at all he did have good speed thats bout it.

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
Biggsy

Quote:
False, he was their 7th defenseman
I believe he was slated as a top 4 dman to start the tourny, but fell to the 7th spot. Still not saying much if he did drop from top 4 to 7th but might as well give him a shot

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
koivu

at 232 pounds, he's the biggest player in Hamilton.
my guess is JM wanted someone with size, he must not have been impressed with how easily Webber was pushed off the puck.

ok he had a bad pre-season, but he was arguably the best D in Hamilton all of last year, and deserves a shot.

who knows, maybe they will be showcasing him to another team for a trade, or he might just play better than he did in pre-season.

i don't get the reason for the big uproar, im looking forward to seeing how he plays, i cant see him doing much worse that Weber.

Carle and Subban will get their chance, but it was just Belle's time right now.

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote