HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers third line

Old
10-13-2009, 02:58 AM
ohbaby

vCash: 500
Rangers third line

First off, I'm totally pissed my "welcome back sean avery" thread disappeared. Am I to bump a Avery thread that's been dead for months? Would one of the mods please PM me, to let me know what happened. Thank you.

Yesterday, I mentioned in the now defunct "Welcome Back Avery" thread, how he was the star in his first game back, by drawing the penalty in which we got the game winning PP goal. And on top of that he added an assist on Anisimov's first goal.

Now as good a start as that was,... it's only the beginning of something special. I saw an inkling against the Ducks, but tonight's game against the Leafs,... you could tell right away that Avery and Anisimov are like bread and butter together. Avery has lifted Anisimov's game to another level. These 2 are gonna create some magic. Can you say Ala Kazam! Even looks like Lisin has elevated his play! All of a sudden this line stands out on the ice! Without a doubt, the energy Avery brings to his linemates, has created a very dangerous 3rd line. Even when Kotalik skated with A & A, they created opportunities.

I'm not gonna say Avery is underrated,.. cause most Ranger fans know how talented he is, and how he makes players around him better, but if there was any doubt about it, look no further than tonights game vs the Leafs.

I hope Torts keeps them together cause they were forechecking monsters creating havoc and cashing in on the turnovers.You could see the chemistry, and it was explosive.

What was probably our weakest line of the 4, is all of a sudden,.... a very dangerous line.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-13-2009 at 04:15 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
mullichicken25

avery has been very good to this team

however, you'd have a hard time convincing me he's underrated...especially around these parts

i'd say a far more accurate description of avery is a hard working gritty b@stard who sometimes plays beyond what he should be able to do with his moderate skill level

not to take anything away from avery and his impact to this team but PLENTY of people here think he's a lot more talented than he really is

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Avery will have a game that he looks great and then will either vanish or take bad penalties for the next 10. Its the curse of being a 15 goal scorer with 100+ PIM a year.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Talk to me when Avery plays 15-20 games on the edge without going over it.

We've seen this before from Avery. We should also know by now that hes always a heartbeat away from doing something very very stupid and selfish. Thats what makes him such a polarizing figure around here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:59 PM
eco's bones

I don't think his skills are moderate at all. He's an excellent skater with speed and agility--he stickhandles and passes very well--he has a good shot and is capable of shooting off a pass--and he has a very strong physical game for his size and the agitation factor--his ability to get other team's to lose their focus. He also is a smart heads up player in a lot of subtle ways. He knows how to play the game.

His major drawbacks are sometimes his agitation antics misfire and he doesn't always keep them in the game--sometimes taking his disputes into a public sphere which is a distraction and is not needed.

His detractors make a mistake though--they look to the odd occasion when the team loses because of something he does--and those occasions do happen. I say it's a mistake because it's also very well known what the Rangers record is with him in the lineup--much better than it is without him. He is a unique character but he does need some harnessing. He's certainly one of my favorite players but I'm not sure I'd be in any hurry to meet him if I had a chance. It's the way it goes sometimes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
ogie

the only thing i can say about the 3rd line is that i think that avery/arty/kotalik is a lot better line that with Lisin.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
avery has been very good to this team

however, you'd have a hard time convincing me he's underrated...especially around these parts

i'd say a far more accurate description of avery is a hard working gritty b@stard who sometimes plays beyond what he should be able to do with his moderate skill level

not to take anything away from avery and his impact to this team but PLENTY of people here think he's a lot more talented than he really is
I don't think you read my post correctly. I specifically pointed out I will not say he's underrated. Not around these parts. Fans who watch him nightly, know how talented he is. When he has the puck and when he's away from the puck.

Did you see his strength on the puck one shift late in the game,.. where had control for like 20 seconds, deep in Leaf territory? I have always raved about his strength on the puck, but that was amazing,.. He looked like Jagr!

I think the big factor with the 3rd line is keeping A & A together. And whoever fills the 3rd spot on that line will benefit from them.

Old
10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Before the season is out...Avery Dubinsky Gaborik....Book IT

Avery can be Gabby's insurance policy against anyone considering taking liberties and with Avery on the ice getting attention, no one is watching Gabby. On the road when a team goes power on power, this line makes a lot of sense and I think we'll see it.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:15 PM
The_Chosen_One

^ I think the same. The line would be defensively sound, with a strong pivot at centre. Sean would act like a force multiplier since he can be a great distraction even while taking a breather.

It's going to be interesting to see Dubinsky produces this season. I think he has yet to break out. Similarly, the third line while defensively sound, great at forechecking, is another line that'll impressive offensively. I think we're going to see a gun-n-run team like Buffalo a few years back.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:20 PM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Avery will have a game that he looks great and then will either vanish or take bad penalties for the next 10. Its the curse of being a 15 goal scorer with 100+ PIM a year.
Avery very rarely vanishes.

I like the 3rd line right now. I even liked it with Lisin because I thought Lisin worked very hard on every shift and I respect that. It will be interesting to see how Anisimov plays as he gets more and more familiar with the pace of the game at this level...the 3r dline could become dangerous game in and out.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

For all the talk about Gaborik being injury prone though, Avery is just as much so. Even in his full season with us he managed only 57 games.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good problems to have with the depth.

Torts will play whos earned the time throughout the year, Avery included.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:28 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Avery can be Gabby's insurance policy against anyone considering taking liberties and with Avery on the ice getting attention, no one is watching Gabby. On the road when a team goes power on power, this line makes a lot of sense and I think we'll see it.
I like this... very similar to the Avery-Dubi-Jagr line that was so successful late in the 2007-08 season. Avery and Dubi had some good chemistry on that line and it seems like Dubi is meshing well with Gaborik. This should be the next 1st line combo if Prospal-Dubi-Gaborik start to struggle.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
For all the talk about Gaborik being injury prone though, Avery is just as much so. Even in his full season with us he managed only 57 games.
I'm not sure that's completely fair. Avery's injuries have mostly been down to some bad luck rather than any sort of chronic physical problems (e.g., back, groin, knee, etc.).

In the season you're referring to (2007-08), a Shanahan shot hit him in the wrist, and he had surgery shortly thereafter. And this season's knee injury came after a collision with Callahan in practice.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:07 PM
eco's bones

Injury prone or not--he's valuable when he's in the lineup. The team seems then to have extra energy and a lot more edge. And he's a good player-a smart player who is adept at playing to his own strengths. He's loved by most fans but doesn't always across as very likeable.

Anyway I think he's a very good player to put with Anisimov--and maybe for the whole season.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
jniklast

Quote:

The way Prospal is palying right now, he has to stay on the top line. But with Torts juggling his lines so much (when they're losing) we will certainly see that line a few times as well.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:29 AM
ohbaby

Quote:

I see your point, but I don't like it.

1- Dubi, Gabby, Prospal are playing well together. Barring injuries why tamper with it.
2- Dubi is more than capable to watch Gabby's back. You didn't see him go at Komisarek all nite long?
3-Avery needs to tutor his protege, Anisimov.

Again barring injuries our first 2 lines look solid, right? I think we all agree on that. They are producing and playing well together.

Before Avery cameback, our 3rd line was invisible. Wasn't producing, wasn't getting much icetime, there was just no chemistry between Kotalik, Anisimov, and Lisin. Avery, for whatever reason was the missing piece to complete the puzzle of the 3rd line. They have so much more jump and confidence as linemates playing together. In particular A & A have really seemed to gel, as they are both very strong forecheckers and compliment each other.

So as much as Avery might deserve to play on the first line, or be helpful up there,... wouldn't you rather have 3 strong lines instead?

You haven't noticed Torts rolling only 2 lines at times? You think if we had a decent 3rd he would do that? Now that Avery is back and that line is playing well he hasn't done that.

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-14-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old
10-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Black Tank

Also, the Boyle Brashear 4th line manages a scoring opportunity per game which is a huge upgrade from last year. I have no problem with Kotalik being the guy that takes the shot (or kick as it happened recently).

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Ola

AVERY

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:54 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Also, the Boyle Brashear 4th line manages a scoring opportunity per game which is a huge upgrade from last year. I have no problem with Kotalik being the guy that takes the shot (or kick as it happened recently).
So true. That 4th line which has been good from the get go, just improved a ton with Kotalik there. And Kotalik will still get his 13-15 minutes with PP time.

Old
10-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Ola

Avery is very easy to play with for any center. He does a lot of dirty work and can singlehandedly, or can he does it on a regular basis, win battles and get his team going.

He is extremely important for us.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:21 AM
ohbaby

Good point Ola. Which is why I stress he plays with the rookie. (Anisimov)

He can really help him in his development. Make it easier for him, by like you said, doing the dirty work,... or in other words, being a Sean Avery.