HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pressure style has Redden in the zone

Old
10-14-2009, 07:39 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Pressure style has Redden in the zone

Quote:
If Wade Redden looks like a different player in his second season with the Rangers, and he does, much of the improvement can be credited to the fact that he is now playing in a system that maximizes his skills as a skater and puck mover while minimizing his deficiencies in defensive zone coverage and reading the rush.

Redden might as well have been on an island last year, so lost was he playing coach Tom Renney's safety-first system, in which the defense invariably seemed to be backing up or battling for survival in its own end of the ice.
Another player who wasn't good skating backwards in Renney's system.

Quote:
The six-year, $39 million contract is still there, of course, but disproportionate as it may be, no one will harp on it if Redden can just be a competent player. No one ever expected Redden to be the 2003 Scott Niedermayer just because general manager Glen Sather decided to pay him as if he was, but that doesn't mean anyone expected him to be Dave Pichette, either.
The Canadian dollar is nearly on par with the USD so the cap should be fine next season.

Dave Pichette? Kevin Hatcher as a Ranger was better than Redden last season. FYI,Hatcher was an out of shape bum by the time he became a Ranger.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...9FZmbaCK6FEmAL

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

i really like him now, hes doing amazing

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgorangers54 View Post
i really like him now, hes doing amazing
Hes competent.

I would stop far short of calling him amazing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Levitate

Actually a pretty good article by Brooks and it makes some sense that Redden wasn't being used to his best ability in Renney's system (it still doesn't excuse everything, but there is a point that asking Redden to play backup, defensive hockey at all times and then being mad that he's not scoring 50 points is a bit silly. Then again, he was useless on the PP as well)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:58 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Actually a pretty good article by Brooks and it makes some sense that Redden wasn't being used to his best ability in Renney's system (it still doesn't excuse everything, but there is a point that asking Redden to play backup, defensive hockey at all times and then being mad that he's not scoring 50 points is a bit silly. Then again, he was useless on the PP as well)
Yeah? So was everyone else, what else is new

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Yah, it really drives home the point that signing Redden to play under Renney didn't make much sense.

On the flip side, I'm starting to worry that it was Renney's system that made it possible to use Rozsival as the cornerstone of the defense. Not sure if this type of strategy just isn't "in his nature" the way it is for Redden, Gilroy and Del Zotto, or if it's simply exposed his shortcomings as a player.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Redden can use the whole system disparity thing as a crutch if he'd like. He'd certainly have a point.

But I think the difference so far is he has a coach now that won't take any ****.

He needed a kick in the ass, and he got one.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Having a coach who knows when to kick you in the ass can be a good thing. I know I preferred a coach who would kick your ass a bit when I played sports (although you can go overboard on that as well).

Lets face it, Torts system and Renneys system demand very different things from the defensemen. The two defensemen who spent the longest time under Renney's system (Rozy and Girardi) are struggling the most this season. Are you that surprised? It makes a lot of sense.

This style fits Redden much better than Renney's. Lets hope he keeps it up.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Jersey Girl

Redden is playing better. Not fantastic, but definitely better than last year. I need to see more than six games, though, to make me a believer. Give me an entire season of adequate play, Wade...please. You owe us an entire season already.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
What's the difference between Renney's system and the defesnive-minded, trapping one Redden excelled in playing for Jacques Martin in Ottawa? Redden was the key cog in Ottawa's defense corps during Martin's tenure and his coaching philosophy seems similar to Renney's.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:33 AM
pwoz

Rozsival is the problem. He sucks in both systems.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
What's the difference between Renney's system and the defesnive-minded, trapping one Redden excelled in playing for Jacques Martin in Ottawa? Redden was the key cog in Ottawa's defense corps during Martin's tenure and his coaching philosophy seems similar to Renney's.
The difference was the presence of some pretty dynamic offensive talent. Hossa, Alfredson, Havlat, Spezza, Bonk. He was sharing the blue line with Chara. These were stacked teams, and of course, Redden rode that wave to his benefit.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Levitate

To some extent, but Martin didn't play such a strictly defensive system that Renney did...

People act like Redden was never a good player and that's just not true

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I like the fact that fans have figured out his play has improved and are no longer booing him. I just hope the sentiment remains after we lose a couple games.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

personally i dont think it has as much to do with the difference in system as it does Redden knowing torts will think nothing of benching him if he didnt show up at camp ready. he physically looks better, hes obviously a little lighter on his feet. I attribute Reddens considerable improvement to his overall conditioning just being a lot better than it was last year. Hopefully he can start putting up some points and we may start seeing SOME return on investment, we'll never fully get our moneys worth out of him, accept it.

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

good read.

happen to agree that reddens is playing better because of torts and his system. makes all the difference to wade playing this uptempo style. his skating skills are better suited up ice rather than scrambling around and having to play physical. also, his passing skills are evident more now as he always has been a razer sharp passer while carrying the pill at speed.

on the flip side, this system has exposed rozy for exactly what he is. an agonizingly slow skater and thinker. his game suffers in this system as he doesnt react well when hes under forecheck pressure. his passes to no one continue as does his turnover-itis when ever hes forced to go get the puck on the wall with someone bearing down on him. in addition, he continues to show signs of a general lack of mid ice, puck carrying decision making.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
rozy ... doesnt react well when hes under forecheck pressure.
Quoted for emphasis. Rozy folds under pressure quite often. Redden is more composed under pressure.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
ThirdEye

Redden is lucky. The Garden crowds' eyes this year will be too busy glued to Gaborik to care about what he's doing. At the same time there is much less pressure on him because 1. he couldn't possibly have a year as bad as the one he had last season and 2. He's not being relied upon to QB the powerplay anymore

Of course, if he's playing like complete crap people will still notice. Just look at Rozsival. But otherwise, I expect him to have a solid year

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:27 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I personally think he had a terrible game defensively the last few games and is nowhere near the player he was in 2002 or even 2007.

He doesnt like to get hit, and it shows. If he can score goals and chip in every now and then with some offense, fine. But I am not going to try and justify his salary or believe anything other than the fact that his signing was the worst in Rangers history.

There are a handful of teams where Redden would barely crack the top-6. I think the guy stinks and will celebrate the day he leaves this town.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I personally think he had a terrible game defensively the last few games and is nowhere near the player he was in 2002 or even 2007.

He doesnt like to get hit, and it shows. If he can score goals and chip in every now and then with some offense, fine. But I am not going to try and justify his salary or believe anything other than the fact that his signing was the worst in Rangers history.

There are a handful of teams where Redden would barely crack the top-6. I think the guy stinks and will celebrate the day he leaves this town.
Says the guy who thinks Staal is a disappointment. You know nothing about the game of hockey if you think Redden has been terrible defensively so far.

Nothing.

The Staal thread hinted at that and this post now prooves it.

And LOL at Redden barely cracking the top 6 in most teams. He's a solid #3 d-man right now.

So sad. So sad.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
He's beginning to prove his worth. He never was much of a defensive defender, but he has serious offensive skills. He's going to turn the puck over, but if he's allowed to play a free wheeling offensive style, you can expect around 50 points out of him.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Says the guy who thinks Staal is a disappointment. You know nothing about the game of hockey if you think Redden has been terrible defensively so far.

Nothing.

The Staal thread hinted at that and this post now prooves it.

And LOL at Redden barely cracking the top 6 in most teams. He's a solid #3 d-man right now.

So sad. So sad.
Agreed, he is playing like a solid #3 guy right now.

Problem is we dont have a #2, and Staal is only a #1 on the defensive side of the puck. With that said, Del Zotto, Gilroy, Girardi, and yes, even Rozsival, constitute enough pieces to make a relatively successful defense corp.

Old
10-14-2009, 12:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post

Have you been watching the games?

I just want to come out and say that I said all of this last season and no one, NO ONE, would even listen. What did Renney say he was going to do last season? Play uptempo. Redden signed because he was sold on that style of play because it fits him. What did Renney do? He played a super-defensive style that made Redden's deficiencies stand out more than ever.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Have you been watching the games?
I don't think he does watch games, to be honest. He just comes on here and rants and posts absurd things. He's the Muttley of our own board.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't think he does watch games, to be honest. He just comes on here and rants and posts absurd things. He's the Muttley of our own board.
I mean I can understand not liking the contract, hell I don't, but the guy has been playing very well and pairing him with Gilroy has worked out beautifully. If he continues playing like this the signing wont be such a problem in my book as he has the potential to play like a 5 million dollar defenseman.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote