HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk for Kostitsyns

Old
10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsNewGeneration View Post
This would have guys like M Richard turning in their grave...
Give your head a shake. This is our game and we play "HARD TILL THE END,WIN OR LOSE".

Tank, my goodness. You can change your allegiance, anytime you would like. Tank is not a HABS WORD !!!
Change my Allegiance? I've wanted us to tank for 2 years now, and to change my Allegiance would be me going from a habs fan to a caps fan. No I have not done so, so don't come here throwing insults left right and center like you know an absolute truth.

Theres the fans who think we should tank, and the fans whom think we should trade and attempt to win a cup with the team we have.

I prefer to tank because you get more quality for less of a price. End of story.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:13 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Change my Allegiance? I've wanted us to tank for 2 years now, and to change my Allegiance would be me going from a habs fan to a caps fan. No I have not done so, so don't come here throwing insults left right and center like you know an absolute truth.

Theres the fans who think we should tank, and the fans whom think we should trade and attempt to win a cup with the team we have.

I prefer to tank because you get more quality for less of a price. End of story.
What does this even mean ?
Insults ? Hmmm ok there bud relax now. Telling you to change Allegiance is not an insult.

A true Habs fan does NOT TANK. Capiche ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

we all know some team will offer him some dumbass 28 year contract for 985 mil, and it wont be us.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:47 AM
25th

Kostitsyns, Halak and a 2nd.

25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Habs

Won't this be, yet another year, Pittsburgh or Tampa have one of their famous 'terrible' years, and get another franchise player? How do they do it so well?

Last edited by Habs: 10-14-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Brett38

Just for the heck of it. I know its early to be talking trades but....

Kovalchuk

for

Cammalleri
S. Kostitsyn
Paccioretty
Weber
1st '10
2nd '11

or

A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
D'Agastini
Suban
1st '10

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:22 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm a true Habs fan and I honestly don't give a **** if we lose. I'm tired of toiling in mediocrity, so either win big (like we did two seasons ago) or lose big. Finishing middle of the pack and not getting a stud in the first round of the draft will ensure many more years of dread for this franchise. So, I'm thinking of the GOOD of the team, in that mind that makes me a TRUE Habs Fan.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:42 AM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm a true Habs fan and I honestly don't give a **** if we lose. I'm tired of toiling in mediocrity, so either win big (like we did two seasons ago) or lose big. Finishing middle of the pack and not getting a stud in the first round of the draft will ensure many more years of dread for this franchise. So, I'm thinking of the GOOD of the team, in that mind that makes me a TRUE Habs Fan.
This is where I stand as well. No point in icing a weak team in the playoffs like we did last season. I think everyone knew deep down the team was going to lose to Boston, even if we made ourselves believe we wouldn't.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:47 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38 View Post
Just for the heck of it. I know its early to be talking trades but....

Kovalchuk

for

Cammalleri
S. Kostitsyn
Paccioretty
Weber
1st '10
2nd '11

or

A.Kostitsyn
S.Kostitsyn
D'Agastini
Suban
1st '10
Yes this will bring us PLENTY of UFA's in the future.
It's D'Agostini by the way and quantity does not equal quality.
Besides we have no $$$$$$$$$$ for him.

Last edited by PunkinDrublic*: 10-14-2009 at 11:56 AM.
PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Magic33

That wouldn't be enough to get Kovalchuck's right leg.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:03 PM
xposbrad

We really need Kovalchuk, we need a pure sniper, we don't have any. I'd free up as much space as possible to offer him a 8.5-9m/yr deal too. Hammer/Gill come off in like a year, so maybe backload the contract. But we need this guy, otherwise forget being competitive or a stanley cup contending team.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Amen. Thank you WTK

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:25 PM
xposbrad

Quote:

Unfortunately, I can't see us ever being the position to get the #1 pick. Can you see the french media/press allowing the habs to have a complete firesale and just tanking? Never going to happen. With this cap, Gainey just built us a nice mediocre team for a while. You can't have a bunch of players making 1-2m being overpaid, like we do. Our superstar will be Gomez, like it or not, at 7.3m cap hit, that's who Gainey chose. Obviously Kovalchuk at 8.7m or so who is 10000000000000000x better would be more logical, but what can you do. I'd make a crazy pitch for Kovalchuk and then be creative with the payroll, see what fat we can trade.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
For Kovalchuk?

Kostitsyns
Pacioretty
Sudden
O'Byrne
First round this year
First round next year

That sounds about right, maybe we can keep O'Byrne.
I expect something like this and I really think the Habs are going to try if Ilya becomes available... Why wouldn't put an offer in?

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Habs

Quote:
First thing you've said that I can agree with 100%.

Old
10-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I'd trade anybody on the team for Kovalchuk except Markov.
He's a 1 man line, being surrounded by other great players would make him reach the 100pt status, but he'll still produce 90ish pts by himself.

If we can get him for the Kost broz, Halak and a 1st, it'd be a steal.

I'd want Gainey to work on a re-signal right away as well and over next summer find a way to make him fit under the cap.

A Kovalchuk type player is a rare thing, so if he becomes available, you absolutely have to try to land him.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He's a 1 man line, being surrounded by other great players would make him reach the 100pt status, but he'll still produce 90ish pts by himself.

I'd want Gainey to work on a re-signal right away as well and over next summer find a way to make him fit under the cap.

A Kovalchuk type player is a rare thing, so if he becomes available, you absolutely have to try to land him.

I agree 100%. Kovalchuk is still fairly young as well.

Earlier I said that even if it takes giving up Cammalleri etc. Only because he carries a 6 million dollar price tag. Forget about the idea that if we trade Cammi now, no UFA's will come here. We usually don't get big names coming here anyway through UFA outside of a few that signed this year.

Try something like this...

Cammalleri
S.Kostitsyn
Paccioretty or D'agastini
Weber, 1st in '10 or Suban
1st in '11

That would add up to about 8-8.5 million.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:25 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
After 6500 posts i would have figured that you would know by now that we won't be able to fit him under the cap space since he will be making 8-10 million on his next contract. And there is now way were gonna hve a 30 mill dollar payroll on 4 players on Offense.
I agree its too much for 4 players ...

I remember hearing kovalchuk's agent saying he wanted a LONG-LONG-LONG term deal ... but that also opens the door to create a contract that can be absorbed by the years to ease the cap hit ... ie: hossa deal . just wondering when the league is going to stop this madness ... but if they don't, I'll be pissed we are not the ones to sign him on a 45 years 3 m cap hit contract.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 01:28 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:

I couldnt agree more, but doesn't that also mean that waddel should get shot in the face if he loses him for nothing? offers are going to be made all around the league ... but we'd be stupid not to even inquire imho.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Habs

Quote:
Which is why you'd never get Kovalchuk.

Quote:
I'd take a young stud blueliner, any day of the week before Kovalchuk. I'm still a big believer you have to build from the net out, you can sign a sniper.

Habs,
President of the 'Bring Drew Doughty To Montreal' fan club.

Old
10-14-2009, 03:42 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

so trade deadline day habs are rumored to be front runners for kovalchuk and then in the last second penguins get him. that never happened before...

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:02 PM
schumway2

I'd be willing to part with anyone for Kovalchuk. He's not just some winger. You're talking about a possible 60 goal scorer on a good team.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
shutehinside

Why not go for broke and attempt this trade:

Hamrlik
A. Kosty
S. Kosty
1st

for

Vinny!

We get our centre, fit Vinny under the cap and have 2 line depth.
Tampa dumps salary, now and in the long run, get some depth up front, a verteran dfenceman as a stop gap until their young degenceman devlops and a high draft pick.
Lines would be:

Cammy- Lecavalier- Max Pac
Plecks - Gomez - Gionta
Latender - Lapierre - Moen

Martin says he likes duo's, so between Cammy,Vinny and Gomez, Gionta we have to pretty good duo's.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'd take a young stud blueliner, any day of the week before Kovalchuk. I'm still a big believer you have to build from the net out, you can sign a sniper.

Habs,
President of the 'Bring Drew Doughty To Montreal' fan club.
You'd take Luke Schenn over Kovalchuk any day of the week??..
You'd take Gonchar over him??..Campbell??..

Outside Ovechkin, nobody scored more goals than Kovalchuk since lockout. Considering we have O'Byrne, Hamrlik, Markov, Spacek, Gill, Gorges, on top of upcoming players such as Weber and Subban, I wouldn't take a stud blueliner over Kovalchuk.

We can get by with our D. Our offense on the other hand, has only generated 12G in 5GP. We allowed 18Goals but if it weren't for that awful blowout vs Vancouver, it'd be pretty average.
That means we have to limit the opposing teams to 1G in order for us to win.

Adding a guy like Kovalchuk would remove some pressure from our Ds to excel. It would also permit Price to make mistakes. Right now, our goalies have close to 0 margin of error.
The 2 first games, Price was phenomenal. Versus Calgary, Halak was pretty good but didn't play spectacular so we lost. Game in Vancouver was horrific, and Price was out played by Khabibulin in Edm.
I know it's only 5games, but for now, if our goalies don't play close to a perfect game, chances are we'll lose.
That's not because our D is bad, it's because our offense is extremely lacking power.

Adding a guy like Kovalchuk means at least 1G more for our team every game as he's usually more than a 1pt/gp guy.

Most importantly though, Kovalchuk could very well become available. Can't say the same about a solid blueliner.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
You'd take Luke Schenn over Kovalchuk any day of the week??..
You'd take Gonchar over him??..Campbell??..
No, because your idea of a stud blueliner is different than mine. I'd take Phaneuf or Drew Doughty over Kovalchuk in a second. If I had the choice of a star blueliner, or forward, I'd take the blueliner.

Quote:
Outside Ovechkin, nobody scored more goals than Kovalchuk since lockout.
Oh, I'm not knocking his abilities, I just believe in building from the net out.

Considering we have O'Byrne, Hamrlik, Markov, Spacek, Gill, Gorges, on top of upcoming players such as Weber and Subban, I wouldn't take a stud blueliner over Kovalchuk.

Quote:
We can get by with our D. Our offense on the other hand, has only generated 12G in 5GP. We allowed 18Goals but if it weren't for that awful blowout vs Vancouver, it'd be pretty average.
That means we have to limit the opposing teams to 1G in order for us to win.
The offense will come.

Quote:
Most importantly though, Kovalchuk could very well become available. Can't say the same about a solid blueliner.
If you are prepared to give up the world for Kovalchuk, I'd make the same offer to other teams about their young dmen and see what happens, that's all I'm trying to say.