HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vanek out for "weeks" or days

Old
10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
lecherous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
My recollection is that he wasn't nearly as good when he came back.

I'd like to see Gerbe called up and leave Paille in the PB.
According to the stats he was on a tear in Feb with 13 goals in 15 games and then when he came back he played 17 games with 9 goals, but he's always been a streaky player so I'm not sure what you can attribute that to.

All I'm saying is that he seems to respond to treatment well and except for last year's broken face he's never missed a game to injury before. The 1 he missed in his rookie year was when he got benched, so his record is pretty good.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:40 AM
buffalowing88

Two Thoughts:
1. Vanek went from 05-08 without ever suffering any significant injury at all. Now it looks like itll be the 2nd year in a row he plays less than 80 games, probably less than 75. I know the injuries are unrelated but it just seems like once you get hurt the first time, the body just becomes more vulnerable in general. I dont know if its reaction time or nerves, but its really concerning.

2. I'm not fretting, however. Vanek is a stud when he's on but I'd almost rather lose him than Roy or Timmy right now. Those two guys actually control the pace of the game when they are on the ice, Vanek is an excellent finisher but he's not impacting the game in the way the two centers are right now, and anyone who's disapointed in Connolly so far, I think thats really unfair. He has made about 6-7 jaw dropping passes so far that neither Pommer or the General capitalized on. He will get his points, just a matter of chemistry.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Two Thoughts:
1. Vanek went from 05-08 without ever suffering any significant injury at all. Now it looks like itll be the 2nd year in a row he plays less than 80 games, probably less than 75. I know the injuries are unrelated but it just seems like once you get hurt the first time, the body just becomes more vulnerable in general. I dont know if its reaction time or nerves, but its really concerning.
Injuries like concussions, groins and knees are the ones you really have to worry about. It's a lot easier to tweak a knee after it's been previously damaged. I don't think being injured once all of a sudden makes you prone to more injuries. I believe it only makes you prone to re-injure said injuries.

A puck to the jaw hardly makes Vanek injury prone. It's a fluke injury. Unless this injury is in fact another broken jaw there is no reason to even bring up Vanek being more vulnerable to injuries.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 02:03 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Two Thoughts:

2. I'm not fretting, however. Vanek is a stud when he's on but I'd almost rather lose him than Roy or Timmy right now. Those two guys actually control the pace of the game when they are on the ice, Vanek is an excellent finisher but he's not impacting the game in the way the two centers are right now, and anyone who's disapointed in Connolly so far, I think thats really unfair. He has made about 6-7 jaw dropping passes so far that neither Pommer or the General capitalized on. He will get his points, just a matter of chemistry.
Disagree with 1 but completely agree with 2.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 03:28 AM
jflory81
Garbo is coming

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post
According to the stats he was on a tear in Feb with 13 goals in 15 games and then when he came back he played 17 games with 9 goals, but he's always been a streaky player so I'm not sure what you can attribute that to.

All I'm saying is that he seems to respond to treatment well and except for last year's broken face he's never missed a game to injury before. The 1 he missed in his rookie year was when he got benched, so his record is pretty good.
He had a hat trick in the season ending game, IIRC, and in terms of how he was playing on the ice, there really was no comparison between pre and post injury. He just wasn't very good in other facets of the game after he came back.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 04:04 AM
baeng

Send a message via Skype™ to baeng
I do agree with that if Paille doesn't get to play now, Regier really should trade him.

To bad about Vaneks injury..., but that is what you have to live with when supporting Buffalo.

baeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Jeremy2020

Be Positive. We pay a premium for Vanek's Goals with that salary. Who knows how many more he would have scored if he had stayed the rest of the game. He'll just need to score a few more when he gets back to get 40.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
So with three lines performing well... it will be interesting to see if whoever goes in gets Vanek's spot directly. Kennedy has meshed well between the vet checkers, the 4th line has had solid pressure and some opportunities, and the MacArthur-Connolly-Pominville unit has generated chances as well. Would Paille-Roy-Stafford work? Paille-Roy-Mair had some success on the forecheck at times when Ruff would throw them out after PK's or PP's last season....

10-14-2009, 08:25 AM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Thomas Vanek left for good with 7:14 to play in the second period after scoring his second goal in the 6-2 victory over the Detroit Red Wings. Coach Lindy Ruff revealed Vanek will miss several weeks with an undisclosed upper body injury.

Vanek slid hard into the end boards after scoring the goal on Derek Roy's third assist in a 4-minute span, but Ruff said the injury actually occurred before that play. Television shots of Vanek on the bench before the shift showed Vanek grimacing while moving his neck/shoulder area.

Vanek's shoulder was not in a sling when he left the locker room about 40 minutes after the game was over, and he was believed to have undergone X-rays on his ribs.

"It was before the goal, when I collided with [former Sabre Brad] May," Vanek told The Buffalo News. "I went to hit him, and it happened there. I just finished the shift and felt it after. I knew right away and just tried to tough it out. After the shift, I just got it checked out."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/827121.html

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
So its a rib injury? That's good news. That's a lot better than a wrist, shoulder, collarbone....

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
So its a rib injury? That's good news. That's a lot better than a wrist, shoulder, collarbone....
For real. We can only hope.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
For real. We can only hope.
Without a doubt! I doubt it could be a wrist injury on a collision like that? But i guess it could be.

Odd enough to say this, but lets hope its a fractured rib? Out for 2-4 weeks, when you are back where some extra padding or jacket underneath.

TV can break all the bones he wants in his face. Just please no groin, knee, wrist, hammy injuries please!

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:34 AM
blackrock

We have seven games left in October, only one against a playoff team. If Vanek can use his Wolverine-like super healing powers to get back by November 1, we should be in good shape.

blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:36 AM
hottytoddy

Paille for Vanek is going hurt no matter what. Good thing we got an easier schedule coming up.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Sabres play 7 games from Friday to Oct. 31 (NYI, ATL, FLA, TB, NJ, TOR, NYI)...target return Nov 4th for the Isles perhaps?

while early, those 7 games look like favorable matchups for Buffalo, no need to rush him.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
Sabres play 7 games from Friday to Oct. 31 (NYI, ATL, FLA, TB, NJ, TOR, NYI)...target return Nov 4th for the Isles perhaps?

while early, those 7 games look like favorable matchups for Buffalo, no need to rush him.
im going to the next 4 games... not fair.

Old
10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

Quote:
im going to the next 4 games... not fair.
hey, at least you might get to see Paille! You can just pretend he's Vanek!!!

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:21 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

According to Bucky, Mair skated next to Roy-Stafford today, with the other three lines unchanged.

Quote:
With the left winger sidelined, Ruff could be forced to tweak his lines yet again. In practice today, Ruff had Adam Mair skating with Derek Roy and Drew Stafford in place of Vanek. Ruff will likely change things up before Friday's game against the New York Islanders.
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Lindy's line pairings have been pretty good so far, but I really can't agree with Mair on a line with Roy and Stafford. He has enough offense to be on the 3rd line, but definitely not the 1st or 2nd.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Lindy's line pairings have been pretty good so far, but I really can't agree with Mair on a line with Roy and Stafford. He has enough offense to be on the 3rd line, but definitely not the 1st or 2nd.
I assumed he's just plugging Mair in to the open spot while he decides exactly what to do with the lines.

If that's not the case...

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I assumed he's just plugging Mair in to the open spot while he decides exactly what to do with the lines.

Why didnt he plug Paille in the spot?

Old
10-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
maybe that is the 3rd line

i'm okay with it, i like the way the other 3 lines are playing and Lindy seems to be rolling them for the most part anyways, doesnt really matter what # you give the lines right now.

Mair muckin it up might create some space for Roy/Staf

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post

that's nice to see. a tad reassuring. i'm just bummed that this happened right when he was getting into the swing of things.

GET BETTER SOON, THOMAS!

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 11:59 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Why didnt he plug Paille in the spot?
Who knows - maybe because he's planning to give Mair playing time and not Paille, or just hasn't decided about Paille yet.

And if we're moving a 4th liner into the top six, there are at least 2 better guys he should use instead of Mair - I think you and I would each have one in mind. But maybe he just doesn't want to break up that bottom six if he can avoid it? Hard to argue with their performance to date - when Gaustad and Kaleta each get a goal and an assist against the reigning Western Conf. champs, you'd have to be nuts to want to break them up.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 12:08 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post

My thought would be Gerbe couldn't get here in time for practice. Mair will never play on the top line and he didn't want to break up the other lines.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote